F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > lowering springs on m adaptive suspension?
Extreme Powerhouse

08-04-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
xtianrecords
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

lowering springs on m adaptive suspension?

I recently bought a used 335i 2013 with the adaptive suspension (comfort - sport - sport+ modes), the car is lowered on RD Springs ? i haven't herd this brand before is it good? whats the long term effects of riding so low? i can barely can my index finger between the tire and wheel well. theres not TOO many potholes on my commute but anytime i go somewhere else i do have to be careful.

the seller included the stock springs in the trunk so i can always go back but im wondering if i should ride these out until i get a coilover set. that brings me to my last question. theres really only 1 coilover set that has the module for the adaptive suspension and its like 3 grand....

what would you do in this situation ? any thoughts appreciated. thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 09:05 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

OEM shocks were never designed to coexist with lowered springs. All shocks have to travel the entire range for internal valve system to work as expected. These lowered springs will lead to faster shock wear & tear. Only time will tell.

There are great non-adaptive coilovers and installation of EDC Delete kit (which will tell adaptive ECU that all is well) is the standard procedure. Others choose to code EDC functionality out. It's also an option but dealer programming will negate any user-applied coding.

If you have to retain adaptive suspension and want to eliminate xDrive "fender gap", ACS springs are a better choice.

Examining all choices:

1. No changes. If the suspension height is acceptable, wait until the shocks need to be replaced. Focus on coilovers options.
2. Non adaptive coilovers with EDC Delete kit
3. Adaptive coilovers which use BMW OEM sport / comfort button. Not sure if these are even available. There is entire thread about Bilstein Damptronic coilovers, delayed many times.
4. Adaptive coilovers which require a separate controller (usually an app)
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2018, 12:22 PM   #3
JG_Coupe88
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E36 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3   [0.00]
I'm under the same kind of issue except my suspension is bone stock. I like the adaptive suspension however it's time to eliminate that body roll next, it really shows on track days. I've been researching this very same thing, what spring to pair with the adaptive shocks, what my options are. I don't wanna feel blown shocks in a year and then have to do the edc delete since I do like it.
      08-05-2018, 03:21 PM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG_Coupe88 View Post
I'm under the same kind of issue except my suspension is bone stock. I like the adaptive suspension however it's time to eliminate that body roll next, it really shows on track days. I've been researching this very same thing, what spring to pair with the adaptive shocks, what my options are. I don't wanna feel blown shocks in a year and then have to do the edc delete since I do like it.
KW appears to offer PnP (plus and play) coilovers for your vehicle:

http://www.kwsuspensions.com/catalog...20/category/4/

I suggest to call KW to confirm availability and fit.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 07:16 PM   #5
xtianrecords
Private
Rep

that KW is what i mention in my post that there IS one available but its 3k.
the car is already lowered i just gotta see what long term damage the car will have. i bought it with 50k and intend to keep it until 90k or so
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 10:07 PM   #6
JG_Coupe88
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtianrecords View Post
that KW is what i mention in my post that there IS one available but its 3k.
the car is already lowered i just gotta see what long term damage the car will have. i bought it with 50k and intend to keep it until 90k or so
Yes I checked it out, thanks for the link CFM. However, I too, find it difficult to justify 3k for that. I just want a decent drop, less wheelgap, and less body roll, and to keep the stock shocks feeling good. What I was thinking was Dinan springs + their bump stops , or H&R sports or super sports. People that have any of those seem to be liking them but I gotta search more through these forums to see if I find any people that are already saying they blew their shocks and are ending up blowing even more money on full coilovers anyway. Having adaptive puts us in a stranger position. I got some time to mull it over as I just did some other mods to keep my excitement in check for now lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 06:33 PM   #7
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

dinan with shockware, eibach, or acs are going to be your three mild drop options.
      08-06-2018, 07:06 PM   #8
xtianrecords
Private
Rep

okay so i checked what springs i have and they are red H&Rs. on their website this would make them the race style ones, which is their most aggresive drop.

The shocks and struts seemed okay, no cracks or anything and this car handles really well with minimal body roll. what would i need to do to keep an eye on the shocks and struts? 2 years down the line how costly would it be to replace them, vs finding a solution now ?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 08:54 AM   #9
ryanwarriors9
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 530D

I have adaptive suspension with eibach pro springs and now have a knackered front shocker so my options are . . .
I'm not too fussed about the EDC so I'm happy to lose that my questions are what do I go for

KW variant 1 with EDC delete kit
KW variant 2 with EDC delete kit

Uprated shockers but what ones do I go for ?? keeping with my eibach pro springs in addition I will still need some sort of EDC delete or get it coded out but how that works I cant get any answers

I'm not too fussed about them been fully adjustable I'm more than happy just for a nice drop or just been able to move up and down
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 11:00 PM   #10
JG_Coupe88
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwarriors9 View Post
I have adaptive suspension with eibach pro springs and now have a knackered front shocker so my options are . . .
I'm not too fussed about the EDC so I'm happy to lose that my questions are what do I go for

Uprated shockers but what ones do I go for ?? keeping with my eibach pro springs in addition I will still need some sort of EDC delete or get it coded out but how that works I cant get any answers

I'm not too fussed about them been fully adjustable I'm more than happy just for a nice drop or just been able to move up and down
If you track or do any sort HPDE with yours, the consensus on those seem to be pretty good though I've never ridden in a car with KW's. I think the difference is that V2 w/ EDC delete has adjustable dampers (16 way I think) , as the V1 has a static balanced to be sporty by the engineers.

Another option that is priced in-between the V1 and V2 but still keeps adjustable dampers unlike V1 is the KW Street Comforts w/ EDC delete.

Since I first posted on this thread I have further explored the forums and different products and it leads me to believe my best spring option is the Dinan w/ bump stops, or a set of KW V1 , or KW SC either with EDC delete.

Fact of the matter is I have 56k and if I get springs and it rides fine for a while, I feel sooner then later; blown or nearly blown shocks will have me with buyer's remorse and dropping the dough for coilovers anyway. I do several HDPE's a year and I have yet to take a shortcut or go the "cheaper route" for the sake of money on my car. I want to make a choice and do it within 2 weeks but so undecided.

Last edited by JG_Coupe88; 08-12-2018 at 11:03 PM.. Reason: URL removed, will not work.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 07:47 AM   #11
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtianrecords View Post
okay so i checked what springs i have and they are red H&Rs. on their website this would make them the race style ones, which is their most aggresive drop.

The shocks and struts seemed okay, no cracks or anything and this car handles really well with minimal body roll. what would i need to do to keep an eye on the shocks and struts? 2 years down the line how costly would it be to replace them, vs finding a solution now ?
The springs aren't going to damage your shocks. Just keep an eye on them for leaking like any other shock but they'll last for a long time.

I would not replace adaptive suspension. If the module stops working or when they wear out, either swap to an aftermarket strut/spring combo or get coilovers. The replacement adaptive shocks are very expensive and not worth it if you want to lower the car anyway.

Quote:

I went with KW V1 because I had had adjustable suspension in the past and never messed with it that much. I'm like you just want a sporty ride and to set the ride height where I want it. The KWs ride great and handle great.

V2s are nice but you'll find that 1. it'll be a hassle to adjust the rears if you do want to spend time dialing it in and 2. once you set it, you'll likely never touch it again.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 09:25 AM   #12
ryanwarriors9
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
The springs aren't going to damage your shocks. Just keep an eye on them for leaking like any other shock but they'll last for a long time.

I would not replace adaptive suspension. If the module stops working or when they wear out, either swap to an aftermarket strut/spring combo or get coilovers. The replacement adaptive shocks are very expensive and not worth it if you want to lower the car anyway.

I went with KW V1 because I had had adjustable suspension in the past and never messed with it that much. I'm like you just want a sporty ride and to set the ride height where I want it. The KWs ride great and handle great.

V2s are nice but you'll find that 1. it'll be a hassle to adjust the rears if you do want to spend time dialing it in and 2. once you set it, you'll likely never touch it again.

Sweet thanks for reply . . . After some further investigation I am going to opt for either the kw v1 and code out the edc not bother with the delete kit as so many people have said it’s a pain in the ass

Or

Bilstein b8 shocks as I already have some Eibach Pro springs I know I won’t be able to adjust the height but it should sit nice and be a much firmer ride over standard set up. The b8 shocks are 20mm shorter so along with the Eibach Pro springs is a perfect set up for each other. Again coding out th edc

On the EDC delete I have contacted a couple of coders and they have all said it’s a case of I puligging the module in the boot and just coding it out supposed to be very simple and a lot of the M3/M4 boys have done it
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:21 AM   #13
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Dinan Shockware + Springs is always an option for you
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 12:34 PM   #14
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Sweet thanks for reply . . . After some further investigation I am going to opt for either the kw v1 and code out the edc not bother with the delete kit as so many people have said it’s a pain in the ass

Or

Bilstein b8 shocks as I already have some Eibach Pro springs I know I won’t be able to adjust the height but it should sit nice and be a much firmer ride over standard set up. The b8 shocks are 20mm shorter so along with the Eibach Pro springs is a perfect set up for each other. Again coding out th edc

On the EDC delete I have contacted a couple of coders and they have all said it’s a case of I puligging the module in the boot and just coding it out supposed to be very simple and a lot of the M3/M4 boys have done it
The shocks are 20mm shorter? Interesting, I've never heard that before.

If true, just keep in mind that 20mm could be pulled out of a few different places and won't necessarily equate to 20mm of lowering. It might be 20mm less shock travel.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 01:08 PM   #15
ryanwarriors9
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
What's this ?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 01:09 PM   #16
ryanwarriors9
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Or

The shocks are 20mm shorter? Interesting, I've never heard that before.

If true, just keep in mind that 20mm could be pulled out of a few different places and won't necessarily equate to 20mm of lowering. It might be 20mm less shock travel.
Reply from bilstein when I asked a few questions about some options

Hi,

The B6 is basically the same length as a standard damper, the B8 is normally 20mm shorter in open length only and designed to compliment lowering springs (to help with preload when a shorter spring is fitted) and if there is one we would always offer this, that said we only list the B6 option for models with active suspension - B6's should work well with eibach springs as they are designed for oe dampers and preload should not be an issue.

You cannot buy on our website, as we don't sell direct to public. Any websites with our name on that sell to public are just dealers and not actually officially bilstein - if you look at www.bilstein.com this is our only website.

For reference the part numbers for an F30 with x-drive are:
B6 damptronic:
Front left - 23-266483
Front right - 23-266490
Rear - 20-250744
B8:
Front left - 35-264606
Front right - 35-264613
Rear - 24-264563

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 01:38 PM   #17
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What's this ?
Software to make stock electronic shocks stiffer and better match higher spring rate.

Google
BMW CCA Member #516012
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 01:49 PM   #18
ryanwarriors9
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What's this ?
Software to make stock electronic shocks stiffer and better match higher spring rate.

Google
One of my shockers are knackered and it's £500 for 1 so it's a perfect excuse to upgrade them all and do away with the adaptive feature
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #19
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What's this ?

Google
One of my shockers are knackered and it's £500 for 1 so it's a perfect excuse to upgrade them all and do away with the adaptive feature
In your case I would go with m performance suspension. May be more expensive but it's oem and people speak highly of it from what I have seen in threads
BMW CCA Member #516012
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #20
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Definitely seems like overkill. The stock shocks compress the super sport springs i had at max extension, and super sports are the shortest spring on the market as far as i know. Making the shock 20mm shorter would just increase the preload/stiffness of the ride and reduce shock travel. I'm sure there's more science to it that lead them to make the change but doesn't seem to have much advantage over stock to me (unless you want to further stiffen your suspension).
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 02:17 PM   #21
ryanwarriors9
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Definitely seems like overkill. The stock shocks compress the super sport springs i had at max extension, and super sports are the shortest spring on the market as far as i know. Making the shock 20mm shorter would just increase the preload/stiffness of the ride and reduce shock travel. I'm sure there's more science to it that lead them to make the change but doesn't seem to have much advantage over stock to me (unless you want to further stiffen your suspension).
Yehh I'm happy to stiffen it a little more hopefully get rid of the body roll feel from the xdrive

The bilstein b12 kit is what I will effectively have as that consists of b8's and lowering springs
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 03:25 PM   #22
zeikei
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

Well one thing is for sure, the length of the shock will not affect the spring rate in any way.
Appreciate 0