F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > outofphase's 2015 335i xDrive Build Thread/Journal
Extreme Powerhouse

04-04-2019, 11:39 PM   #1
outofphase
dad bod
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xDrive

outofphase's 2015 335i xDrive Build Thread/Journal

Hey folks, earlier this year (Jan. 2019) I got into my first BMW and it has been a blast so far. I've been doing a LOT to the car but I also have bigger plans in store so I figured I'd start a build thread and/or journal.

Previous cars (I've had way more than this, but these are the ones I've modified)

1990 CRX Si (built turbo B16 -- was terrifying)
2000 Buick Regal GS (amazing sleeper!)
2004 Subaru WRX Wagon (FBO, lasted me until 189k miles!)
2009 Infiniti G37 (barely touched this one)
2010 Jetta GLI (Stage 2)
2013 Fiat 500c Abarth (nightmare to work on)
2014 Honda Civic Si Sedan (barely touched this one)

1/6/19: Picked up the car in Houston, TX. 1 owner 2015 335i xDrive M-Sport 8AT in Estoril Blue with 46k miles on the clock. I live in Chicago primarily but also have family in/spend a great deal of time in Texas, so I try to buy cars down there to avoid rust (and register down there as it's cheaper and much simpler).

First thing few things done were gloss black kidney grills, Cravenspeed Platypus license mount and red stop start button (amazon FTW!)

Shortly after that, I downloaded bimmercode and, finding a set of used OEM paddles on ebay for a steal I did a paddle shifter retrofit. No photos of the install unfortunately, but I followed kies motorsports tutorial and it worked great.

Then it was time to add some carbon fiber vinyl to the interior trim as the walnut trim was KILLING me. I ended up messing up and need to redo it but the main trim piece doesn't look bad

Then it was time for some POWER and noise! Bought BM3 and went stage 1, and also got a muffler delete and threw some tips from BMS on the car.

I ended up adding a carbon fiber trunk lip from ebay. Fitment wasn't perfect but I'm okay with it for now. Also decided the BMS tips were too much color (burnt titanium), so I sanded them down and painted them matte black. Felt much cleaner IMO.

I decided I needed more power and also wanted to be lowered. I strongly prefer working on my own cars but unfortunately lack of a garage at my current apartment dissuaded me from doing much. Went off a recommendation from a friend and the gentlemen at APMtuned in Villa Park were more than happy to help. Had them install VRSF dp, cp, FMIC, and Pipercross filter, along with Dinan springs and bumpstops. Ben, the owner, is a very knowledgeable guy and I was happy with his prices.

Finally wheels and tires came in! Vörsteiner V-FF 107s in Carbon Graphite, wrapped in Contintel Extremecontact Sport tires. I looked forever for a set of wheels and fell in love with these the second I saw them. Completely happy with the drop on Dinans as well!

19x8.5 235/40 front 19x10 265/35 rear

Update 4/20/19:

Got to take the car to the 1/4 mile today. SUPER impressed with both the bootmod3 OTS E30 map and CaryTheLabelGuy map in progress. Best time was 12.14 @ 111 on Cary's map, the rest of the runs were done on the OTS map. Made a youtube video just for the heck of it, with timeslips included.

Please don't murder me for shooting vertical video -- it's the only way my phone would clip into its mount lol

Update 7/2/19:

- Installed GFB DV+ (what a nightmare)

- Now running BM3's beta TCU flash, a marked improvement. Nothing crazy but the car shifts a lot smoother in manual mode and torque limits being removed made a much bigger difference than I expected.

- Finished out my custom tune on the dyno with CaryTheLabelGuy -- see video! Car made 420AWHP/395AWTQ on the first pull but we settled 395AWHP/451AWTQ with a MUCH better HP/TQ curve and a huge increase in torque!

- Borrowed a friend and his Canon 7D and got some better photos!

- Rewrapped the interior with vVivid matte CF wrap

- Got some minor body touch-up work done.

- Did the DIY Bm3 wifi agent. Super easy.

- Car is now fully straight-piped. It's a LOT. Have an M2 muffler I'm going to put on soon.

Update 10/11/19

A LOT has happened and changed with the car. Feel bad for not posting more often but life has been super busy.

The biggest news is that I GOT A TRUCK! 2014 Silverado 1500. The reason this is huge is because:

A) I can stop dailying the BMW

B) If the BMW blows up, I still have transportation

C) I can take my time with installs and do way more work myself. I consider myself a semi-competent amateur mechanic, but I've had no choice but to have shops do the majority of work on my car simply because I usually don't have time to knock stuff out quickly.

D) I can comfortably push the limits of this car now that it's not my daily! I'm going BIG!

Now onto the rest of the updates:

- Installed XDI-60 HPFP. Such a relief. Logs show no more HPFP crashes, even when running E40+

- Installed Fuel-It! bluetooth flex fuel sensor and upgraded HPFP lines. I've compared the readings via the sensor to measurements done via the graduated cylinder test and this sensor is DEAD on so far.

- Went back to the track several times, but could never get past 12.0 -- however after installing XHP and being blessed with PERFECT weather this past Sunday, I went to Import Face Off and competed in the 11.5 index. I lost, but had an absolute blast and GOT MY 11! Car has more room for improvement as well -- I'll be heading to Great Lakes Dragaway for a test and tune as soon as the weather clears up here in Chicago to see how much further I can push it with a proper launch (and without the pressure of competition and tons of people watching lol)

- Wrapped the roof in gloss black using Avery's SW900 film. Changes the whole vibe of the car IMO and I love it.

- Ordered a bunch of paint and supplies to paint the calipers gold (not flashy gold -- going for the same color on the OEM M-Sport gold calipers)

- Bit the bullet and flashed XHP! Well worth it IMO, just for the adjustable launch control.

- Ordered a Galaxy Tab A and dashmount to strictly run dashboard apps/BM3, as well as record video in-car at the track.

- Lots of general maintenance stuff. Changed trans fluid + filter, oil + filter, plugs, etc.

In the works:

- BIG TURBO! Looking at either Speedtech, Doc Race, or the custom route.

- I plan on building the motor over the winter. Still undecided as to whether or not I'll use my current block or go the closed deck route.

- Need to upgrade some smaller peripherals; LPFP, TMAP sensor, intake, coil packs, etc. Also need to start looking at fueling, although I want to see if the current setup with the XDI-60 can handle full E85.

- I'm starting to research drivetrain stuff, either A) building the 8HP45 the car currently has, or B) swapping it out for something more robust. Unfortunately there's very little info out there regarding this. Also need to start thinking about axles. Think I need to reach out to some F80 folks and see if they can shed some light.

- wrapping the entire car in a new color SOON.

- ordering CF mirror covers, front lip, and rear diffuser

Further down the road as money allows:

- 6WB cluster retrofit (I know it's pricey but I NEED IT!)

- LCI tail lights

- ??????

Thank you to everyone for all the help you've given me! This forum is truly an awesome place and filled with some of the kindest, most intelligent people I've ever met in the car community. Stay tuned because I am FAR from done!

IG: @bemdubya

Last edited by outofphase; 10-11-2019 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 5
cfm56d7b5849.00
Framamind159.50
obert1781.00
ali820271.50
      04-05-2019, 12:19 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Great build journal!

The wheels are perfectly matched.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2019, 10:16 PM   #3
Blackhawkup
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 & 2014 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofphase View Post
- getting the transmission potentially tuned on Monday at APM
What are the benefits of tuned transmission? This is the first I have heard of this. When I had my E90 I was going to do the Alpina flash.

Thanks...

Great looking ride BTW!! Congrats
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2019, 12:16 AM   #4
outofphase
dad bod
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkup View Post
What are the benefits of tuned transmission? This is the first I have heard of this. When I had my E90 I was going to do the Alpina flash.

Thanks...

Great looking ride BTW!! Congrats
Thanks!

Decided to hold off on the transmission tune and see what Cary says about it. I've been told faster upshifts, potential adjustments to the torque limits, etc. My tuner shop has their own software.

There's also the XHP flash, but I'm seeing so much conflicting opinions on it I decided to pass on that for now as well.

One of the first things I DID do to the car was flash 2TB and that made a significant difference, so I'm already fairly pleased with how the transmission performs. The ZF is really impressive!

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 11:09 AM   #5
Blackhawkup
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 & 2014 335i xDrive

Quote:
Thanks!

Decided to hold off on the transmission tune and see what Cary says about it. I've been told faster upshifts, potential adjustments to the torque limits, etc. My tuner shop has their own software.

There's also the XHP flash, but I'm seeing so much conflicting opinions on it I decided to pass on that for now as well.

One of the first things I DID do to the car was flash 2TB and that made a significant difference, so I'm already fairly pleased with how the transmission performs. The ZF is really impressive!
Please forgive me.... What is the 2TB flash?

Thank you
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2019, 11:21 AM   #6
outofphase
dad bod
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkup View Post
Please forgive me.... What is the 2TB flash?

Thank you
Sorry, I used the wrong nomenclature. I meant code!

It's the sport auto transmission coding -- I did it using bimmercode and a bluetooth OBDII dongle.

Helpful thread:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1138452

(note, this thread is dated, you do not need to know how to code extensively to do it, just use a phone app like bimmercode and it's super simple)

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 08:10 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2019, 12:25 PM   #8
outofphase
dad bod
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Thanks Mike! Expect another order coming in from me soon... I have big, evil plans with the car

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Thanks Mike! Expect another order coming in from me soon... I have big, evil plans with the car

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 07:49 AM   #10
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F11/F31

Nice build!
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2019, 09:25 AM   #11
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
F30 335i M Sport Rear Diffuser

Quote:
Hey folks, earlier this year I got into my first BMW and it has been a blast so far. I've been doing a LOT to the car but I also have bigger plans in store so I figured I'd start a build thread and/or journal.

Previous cars (I've had way more than this, but these are the ones I've modified)

1990 CRX Si (built turbo B16 -- was terrifying)
2000 Buick Regal GS (amazing sleeper!)
2004 Subaru WRX Wagon (FBO, lasted me until 189k miles!)
2009 Infiniti G37 (barely touched this one)
2010 Jetta GLI (Stage 2)
2013 Fiat 500c Abarth (nightmare to work on)
2014 Honda Civic Si Sedan (barely touched this one)

1/6/19: Picked up the car in Houston, TX. 1 owner 2015 335i xDrive M-Sport 8AT in Estoril Blue with 46k miles on the clock. I live in Chicago primarily but also have family in/spend a great deal of time in Texas, so I try to buy cars down there to avoid rust (and register down there as it's cheaper and much simpler).

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

First thing few things done were gloss black kidney grills, Cravenspeed Platypus license mount and red stop start button (amazon FTW!)

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

Shortly after that, I downloaded bimmercode and, finding a set of used OEM paddles on ebay for a steal I did a paddle shifter retrofit. No photos of the install unfortunately, but I followed kies motorsports tutorial and it worked great.

Then it was time to add some carbon fiber vinyl to the interior trim as the walnut trim was KILLING me. I ended up messing up and need to redo it but the main trim piece doesn't look bad

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

Then it was time for some POWER and noise! Bought BM3 and went stage 1, and also got a muffler delete and threw some tips from BMS on the car.

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

I ended up adding a carbon fiber trunk lip from ebay. Fitment wasn't perfect but I'm okay with it for now. Also decided the BMS tips were too much color (burnt titanium), so I sanded them down and painted them matte black. Felt much cleaner IMO.

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

I decided I needed more power and also wanted to be lowered. I strongly prefer working on my own cars but unfortunately lack of a garage at my current apartment dissuaded me from doing much. Went off a recommendation from a friend and the gentlemen at APMtuned in Villa Park were more than happy to help. Had them install VRSF dp, cp, FMIC, and Pipercross filter, along with Dinan springs and bumpstops. Ben, the owner, is a very knowledgeable guy and I was happy with his prices.

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

Finally wheels and tires came in! Vörsteiner V-FF 107s in Carbon Graphite, wrapped in Contintel Extremecontact Sport tires. I looked forever for a set of wheels and fell in love with these the second I saw them. Completely happy with the drop on Dinans as well!

19x8.5 235/40 front 19x10 265/35 rear

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

And now we're up to date!

In the works:

- just ordered a custom E30 tune from CaryTheLabelGuy

- getting the transmission potentially tuned on Monday at APM

- just ordered parts to do the BM3 wifi agent DIY

- rewrapping the interior in matte CF vinyl from VViVid next week

- wrapping the roof in gloss black whenever weather allows

- ordering CF mirror covers, front lip, and rear diffuser soon

Further down the road as money allows:

- 6WB cluster retrofit (I know it's pricey but I NEED IT!)

- Turbo kit and fueling upgrades (still undecided on what route to take)

- LCI tail lights

- Android Display

- ??????

Also plan on taking the car to the 1/4 mile and dyno within the next month or so.

Thank you to everyone for all the help you've given me! This forum allowed me to make educated decisions with my upgrades and it is paying off! Stay tuned because I am FAR from done!

IG: @bemdubya
You mentioned the rear diffuser. We have the same car. Attached are photos of mine that I got from Bryan at Kies Motorsports. One of his companies makes them. And he has videos on their installations. On our car it's very simple. 20 minutes if you take your time. No need to remove the rear bumper. Mine is in ABS plastic but Bryan has carbon fiber also.
Note my paint colored rear deflectors (that I acquired elsewhere). I think it cleans up the look of the diffuser. Enjoy your build!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 12:42 PM   #12
outofphase
dad bod
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .BMW. View Post
Nice build!
Much appreciated man! This is the first car I'm trying to build semi right

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
You mentioned the rear diffuser. We have the same car. Attached are photos of mine that I got from Bryan at Kies Motorsports. One of his companies makes them. And he has videos on their installations. On our car it's very simple. 20 minutes if you take your time. No need to remove the rear bumper. Mine is in ABS plastic but Bryan has carbon fiber also.
Note my paint colored rear deflectors (that I acquired elsewhere). I think it cleans up the look of the diffuser. Enjoy your build!
Looks sweet! Thanks for the inspiration! I'll have to check them out. Definitely want to stick with the carbon fiber theme.

On a side note I've been slacking lately. DIY BM3 wifi agent is done. GFB diverter valve and colder plugs are done. CaryTheLabelGuy tune is on its 3rd revision and it's a night and day difference!

Also heading toward the drag strip tomorrow to see what she'll do. I'm hoping for low 12's on E30 but we'll see!

Will actually start taking pictures/video and updating again soon!

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 11:57 PM   #13
outofphase
dad bod
United_States
Rep

Got to take the car to the 1/4 mile today. SUPER impressed with both the bootmod3 OTS E30 map and CaryTheLabelGuy map in progress. Best time was 12.14 @ 111 on Cary's map, the rest of the runs were done on the OTS map. Made a youtube video just for the heck of it, with timeslips included.

Please don't murder me for shooting vertical video -- it's the only way my phone would clip into its mount lol

Appreciate 1
      04-21-2019, 09:01 PM   #14
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

nice 60' times that caused a nice ET. Epic!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 09:57 PM   #15
outofphase
dad bod
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
nice 60' times that caused a nice ET. Epic!
Many thanks my man! I really wanted to try just brake-boosting normally but every time I tried the car would go into launch control mode. Which works decently well but I feel like with AWD low 1.7's/high 1.6's should be possible with a higher RPM launch.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 12:41 PM   #16
outofphase
dad bod
United_States
Rep

Updates!!!

- Now running BM3's beta TCU flash, a marked improvement. Nothing crazy but the car shifts a lot smoother in manual mode and torque limits being removed made a much bigger difference than I expected.

- Finished out my custom tune on the dyno with CaryTheLabelGuy -- see video!

- Car is now fully straight-piped. It's a LOT. Have an M2 muffler I'm going to put on soon.

Coming soon:

- Heading back to the track on Friday!

- Wrapping the roof gloss black within a week or two

- LCI tail lights

- Coilovers. As of right now the car rides horribly (dangerously so) on lowering springs alone. Any recommendations?

Appreciate 1
      07-02-2019, 02:56 PM   #17
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Quote:
Updates!!!

- Finished out my custom tune on the dyno with CaryTheLabelGuy -- see video!

Coming soon:

- Heading back to the track on Friday!

- Wrapping the roof gloss black within a week or two

- LCI tail lights

- Coilovers. As of right now the car rides horribly (dangerously so) on lowering springs alone. Any recommendations?

Car looks great, I like those wheels. You just need a nice CF front lip now
I think the black roof is a great touch and I am really happy with mine.

Keep in mind the potential issue of a diffuser if you switch to an M2 axleback. I ran into this when almost purchasing a quad Meisterschaft GTC exhaust - the tips are further inward than aftermarket quad diffusers (same with M2) and there simply are no carbon fiber or good looking aggressive diffusers that fit it. And cutting a diffuser to make it fit rarely will look good

I can recommend KW Street Comfort Coilovers. Coming from H&R Sport springs, it was a night and day upgrade for me. They're very well rounded coils.
If you don't mind a more stiff suspension, Bilstein B14's or KW V1's seem to be sufficient. I was not willing to sacrifice comfort with all the potholes and bad roads in my area. But it comes down to your budget, adjustability you want, and how bad the roads are around you
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 03:34 PM   #18
outofphase
dad bod
United_States
Rep

Update 10/11/19

A LOT has happened and changed with the car. Feel bad for not posting more often but life has been super busy.

The biggest news is that I GOT A TRUCK! 2014 Silverado 1500. The reason this is huge is because:

A) I can stop dailying the BMW

B) If the BMW blows up, I still have transportation

C) I can take my time with installs and do way more work myself. I consider myself a semi-competent amateur mechanic, but I've had no choice but to have shops do the majority of work on my car simply because I usually don't have time to knock stuff out quickly.

D) I can comfortably push the limits of this car now that it's not my daily! I'm going BIG!

Now onto the rest of the updates:

- Installed XDI-60 HPFP. Such a relief. Logs show no more HPFP crashes, even when running E40+

- Installed Fuel-It! bluetooth flex fuel sensor and upgraded HPFP lines. I've compared the readings via the sensor to measurements done via the graduated cylinder test and this sensor is DEAD on so far.

- Went back to the track several times, but could never get past 12.0 -- however after installing XHP and being blessed with PERFECT weather this past Sunday, I went to Import Face Off and competed in the 11.5 index. I lost, but had an absolute blast and GOT MY 11! Car has more room for improvement as well -- I'll be heading to Great Lakes Dragaway for a test and tune as soon as the weather clears up here in Chicago to see how much further I can push it with a proper launch (and without the pressure of competition and tons of people watching lol)

- Wrapped the roof in gloss black using Avery's SW900 film. Changes the whole vibe of the car IMO and I love it.

- Ordered a bunch of paint and supplies to paint the calipers gold (not flashy gold -- going for the same color on the OEM M-Sport gold calipers)

- Bit the bullet and flashed XHP! Well worth it IMO, just for the adjustable launch control.

- Ordered a Galaxy Tab A and dashmount to strictly run dashboard apps/BM3, as well as record video in-car at the track.

- Lots of general maintenance stuff. Changed trans fluid + filter, oil + filter, plugs, etc.

In the works:

- BIG TURBO! Looking at either Speedtech, Doc Race, or the custom route.

- I plan on building the motor over the winter. Still undecided as to whether or not I'll use my current block or go the closed deck route.

- Need to upgrade some smaller peripherals; LPFP, TMAP sensor, intake, coil packs, etc. Also need to start looking at fueling, although I want to see if the current setup with the XDI-60 can handle full E85.

- I'm starting to research drivetrain stuff, either A) building the 8HP45 the car currently has, or B) swapping it out for something more robust. Unfortunately there's very little info out there regarding this. Also need to start thinking about axles. Think I need to reach out to some F80 folks and see if they can shed some light.

Appreciate 0