F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Hood sunken in
Extreme Powerhouse

10-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #1
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 340i MY2017

Hello guys, I just realized my hood sunk in and it sits just couple mm below the front bumper, making it not flush. the front bumper hadnot been replaced, might be taken on and off but surely its OEM. I attched the pic below from google for reference

is there a way to fix this?

thank you
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 09:56 AM   #2
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
You can adjust the hood.

See this thread

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1263218

10-19-2019, 10:23 PM   #3
OC_F32
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i

Couple of mm would be enough to bug me too, man. Adjusting the hood stops is somewhat quick and simple. But before you go there, I'd check to see how the fenders align with the sides of the hood. If they are plum/even your focus should probably be on the front clip. If the fenders are higher toward the bumper, those stops are likely the fix.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 10:24 PM   #4
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC_F32 View Post
Couple of mm would be enough to bug me too, man. Adjusting the hood stops is somewhat quick and simple. But before you go there, I'd check to see how the fenders align with the sides of the hood. If they are plum/even your focus should probably be on the front clip.
sides are good and even (checked with ruler). which one is front clip?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 10:35 PM   #5
OC_F32
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinzcast21 View Post
Quote:
Couple of mm would be enough to bug me too, man. Adjusting the hood stops is somewhat quick and simple. But before you go there, I'd check to see how the fenders align with the sides of the hood. If they are plum/even your focus should probably be on the front clip.
sides are good and even (checked with ruler). which one is front clip?
Front clip = your bumper.

Have you inspected the all of the fasteners? Pay special attention to the ones under where the top of the hood connects to the car. On my F32 there's a series of bolts (4-6) that hold the top of the front clip in. I can't remember if there's a weather stripping covering them or not. Anyway, they should have little rubber spacers/grommets attached. Make sure they're all in. Missing ones would drop it a mm or two I'd guess. I can take a pic of mine tomorrow if you need a visual.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 08:16 AM   #6
CrumbyButter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i xDrive

Quote:

Have you inspected the all of the fasteners? Pay special attention to the ones under where the top of the hood connects to the car. On my F32 there's a series of bolts (4-6) that hold the top of the front clip in. I can't remember if there's a weather stripping covering them or not. Anyway, they should have little rubber spacers/grommets attached. Make sure they're all in. Missing ones would drop it a mm or two I'd guess. I can take a pic of mine tomorrow if you need a visual.
This

Try adjusting the bumper cover first.

Also, FYI, I got into a fender bender and bumper cover plus one of my headlights was replaced. That resulted in one side of the cover being slightly lower, which drove me nuts. Fixed by adjusting the headlight to sit higher.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 02:29 PM   #7
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrumbyButter View Post
Quote:

This

Try adjusting the bumper cover first.

Also, FYI, I got into a fender bender and bumper cover plus one of my headlights was replaced. That resulted in one side of the cover being slightly lower, which drove me nuts. Fixed by adjusting the headlight to sit higher.
yeah the hood sits lower than bumper as you can see. the bumper cover sits fine and i tried adjusting the middle rubber thing and latches.. I'll just go to dealer and get them fix it I guess
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 04:03 PM   #8
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinzcast21 View Post
yeah the hood sits lower than bumper as you can see. the bumper cover sits fine and i tried adjusting the middle rubber thing and latches.. I'll just go to dealer and get them fix it I guess
Actually I notice this on my F36 too. You have to really be very close to see the difference on mine. But I think this serve a purpose, to defect air or the airflow between the bumper and the hood... just my guess... I'm not an expert on aerodynamics.

Fyi... my F36 never been on an accident.
Appreciate 0