F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Can't get alarm motion detector to turn off
GetBMWParts

10-18-2019, 01:54 PM   #1
jbb2388
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340iX

Can't get alarm motion detector to turn off

Is there a trick to this? Does it have something to do with the coding of the folding mirrors that I've done? The owners manual says to simply press the lock button a second time within ten seconds to turn the interior motion sensor off while the car remains locked and armed. I have a new dog and cannot take her anywhere with me without leaving the doors unlocked.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 02:18 PM   #2
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Yes it is just pressing it a second time and the indicator light should show a solid read for a second or so to confirm this. Not sure if folding mirrors would affect this. Do they fold just by pressing once or press and hold? You may have to press a second time, confirm it's turned off then press and hold to fold mirrors.
Appreciate 1
jbb238847.50
      10-18-2019, 02:40 PM   #3
jbb2388
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Yes it is just pressing it a second time and the indicator light should show a solid read for a second or so to confirm this. Not sure if folding mirrors would affect this. Do they fold just by pressing once or press and hold? You may have to press a second time, confirm it's turned off then press and hold to fold mirrors.
Thanks man. Yeah I tried a few times. Couldn't get the indicator light to to flash any differently. I've coded my mirrors to fold at first press of fob lock or on door handle. I thought I read somewhere that this may have something to do with it. Maybe I'll switch that back to normal and see if that fixes the issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 02:55 PM   #4
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb2388 View Post
Thanks man. Yeah I tried a few times. Couldn't get the indicator light to to flash any differently. I've coded my mirrors to fold at first press of fob lock or on door handle. I thought I read somewhere that this may have something to do with it. Maybe I'll switch that back to normal and see if that fixes the issue.
I can't get the motion sensor to disable either and I also have my car coded to close the windows when I hold down the lock button. Please let us know how your testing goes.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 03:07 PM   #5
19bis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i; 2018 230i

I had this problem as well with my F22 after a software update - it disappeared after a later update. In the interim I figured out a solution. The critical factor seemed to be the position of the fob during the second press. If I held it near the base of the windshield, more or less in the middle of the driver's side, the second press deactivated the motion sensor while leaving the car locked. If I held the fob elsewhere - say by the driver's side door, the motion sensor would not deactivate. Kind of seems like voodoo, but it worked for me as well as for a couple of people on the 2-series forum who I passed this tip along to.
Appreciate 2
      10-18-2019, 03:36 PM   #6
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bis View Post
I had this problem as well with my F22 after a software update - it disappeared after a later update. In the interim I figured out a solution. The critical factor seemed to be the position of the fob during the second press. If I held it near the base of the windshield, more or less in the middle of the driver's side, the second press deactivated the motion sensor while leaving the car locked. If I held the fob elsewhere - say by the driver's side door, the motion sensor would not deactivate. Kind of seems like voodoo, but it worked for me as well as for a couple of people on the 2-series forum who I passed this tip along to.
Do you have comfort access? Maybe it wants you near the door handle to deactivate on second press or if you lock via comfort access than the second press will work on the fob. Programming mirrors to fold on second press likely disables the deactivation of motion sensor as only 1 command can be assigned to second press. It is a menu option of either deactivate sensor or fold mirrors assigned to it much like assigning unlock all doors or only drivers door on first press of unlock button from I drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 04:10 PM   #7
19bis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i; 2018 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Do you have comfort access? Maybe it wants you near the door handle to deactivate on second press or if you lock via comfort access than the second press will work on the fob. Programming mirrors to fold on second press likely disables the deactivation of motion sensor as only 1 command can be assigned to second press. It is a menu option of either deactivate sensor or fold mirrors assigned to it much like assigning unlock all doors or only drivers door on first press of unlock button from I drive.
I do have comfort access, and I have coded the mirrors to fold with no delay. Deactivating the motion sensor means you have to press the key fob, so whenever I have known I wanted to do that, I would lock the car first with the fob. Generally. I lock it via comfort access, but never tried to do that & then deactivate the MS.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #8
jbb2388
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bis View Post
This worked! No idea why but if i put the fob near the base of the windshield it worked. Thanks man.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 09:22 AM   #9
theoc31
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i GC MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb2388 View Post
This worked! No idea why but if i put the fob near the base of the windshield it worked. Thanks man.
I'm intrigued by this. Do you still have your wing mirrors coded to fold with no delay on lock too when do you this? I might need to try this if so!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 02:32 PM   #10
jbb2388
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoc31 View Post
I'm intrigued by this. Do you still have your wing mirrors coded to fold with no delay on lock too when do you this? I might need to try this if so!
Yeah I changed nothing.
Appreciate 1