F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Avin USA 10.25 android system install DIY
ARMA SPEED

04-03-2018, 08:59 AM   #1717
kimmer2k
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3

i think i just bricked my f25... getting a "no signal" on my screen. hoping bmw diy guy can help me!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 01:33 PM   #1718
thewallaby
Norway
Rep
Drives: 330e 2016

Hey guys,
After a tiny detour through Tesla I just got my 330e MY16 and i am back to BMW (and so happy for it).
It is a bit frustrating though that in the past 5 years since my E92 they still haven't managed to sort out the android and Spotify integration in a functional way yet.
So i am thinking on putting aside the 8'' iD4 screen i have and go for an aftermarket.
I have a couple of critical questions that maybe have already been answered but this thread is 1500 posts long and i got tired on around 400ish to search more...
1. As i understand these aftermarket screens are basically 'open code' screens with a simulation/copy of the iDrive system that the user can customize on the cars he will install it and in parallel lives also an android platform. Therefore no coding is required for installation. It is a true plug'n'play with some settings to be adjusted. Right?
2. Does that unit have a sim card slot? If not where does it pull the data for the android platform? If the data service is available with the car can it be used with those screens?
3. Has anyone tried to install Spotify on the android platform and use the SD slot to save playlists so they can be played offline? Is it possible?
4. What is the largest SD the slot supports?
5. Is it possible to use the onboard nav system or will the be ''offline'' with the new screen and only google maps will be available? (nothing wrong with google maps but for turn-2-turn navigation iDrive is much faster and responsive).
6. Will the BMW connected app continue to work? It is crucial as i live in a cold climate country and i need to be able to control the charging and the heating from my phone.
7. Is there anything specific to indicate that the warranty on the car is void for using a screen like this? I understand that aftermarket equipment might do so but as long as the ECU or engine is not tempered then should it be an issue? Is there a potential risk to the charging system for example with these screens?
Sorry if some or all those questions have been answered before and thank you in advance for any answers.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 12:16 PM   #1719
anticimex
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewallaby View Post
Hey guys,
After a tiny detour through Tesla I just got my 330e MY16 and i am back to BMW (and so happy for it).
It is a bit frustrating though that in the past 5 years since my E92 they still haven't managed to sort out the android and Spotify integration in a functional way yet.
So i am thinking on putting aside the 8'' iD4 screen i have and go for an aftermarket.
I have a couple of critical questions that maybe have already been answered but this thread is 1500 posts long and i got tired on around 400ish to search more...
1. As i understand these aftermarket screens are basically 'open code' screens with a simulation/copy of the iDrive system that the user can customize on the cars he will install it and in parallel lives also an android platform. Therefore no coding is required for installation. It is a true plug'n'play with some settings to be adjusted. Right?
2. Does that unit have a sim card slot? If not where does it pull the data for the android platform? If the data service is available with the car can it be used with those screens?
3. Has anyone tried to install Spotify on the android platform and use the SD slot to save playlists so they can be played offline? Is it possible?
5. Is it possible to use the onboard nav system or will the be ''offline'' with the new screen and only google maps will be available? (nothing wrong with google maps but for turn-2-turn navigation iDrive is much faster and responsive).
6. Will the BMW connected app continue to work? It is crucial as i live in a cold climate country and i need to be able to control the charging and the heating from my phone.
7. Is there anything specific to indicate that the warranty on the car is void for using a screen like this? I understand that aftermarket equipment might do so but as long as the ECU or engine is not tempered then should it be an issue? Is there a potential risk to the charging system for example with these screens?
Sorry if some or all those questions have been answered before and thank you in advance for any answers.
1. Correct.

2. No SIM card slot. You use your phone as a hotspot to connect the screen to your phone's internet connection. I don't know enough of the BMW data service to answer if it'd work if you have it or not.
You can also buy a WiFi hotspot device (looks like a USB), where you can plug in a SIM card to share the internet without having to connect your phone all the time.

3. Yes, it's possible. Think of the device as any other Android unit/phone.

4. Not 100% sure, probably 32GB.

5. As I don't have GPS on my car, I can't answer. But it should work as per usual with the onboard navi.

6. I don't see why it wouldn't continue to work. You're simply changing the screen, not the actual combox.

7. If you lease the car you should check with your leaser, otherwise it should be fine. You can always re-install the old screen if you wish.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 03:26 PM   #1720
tiziano
Registered
Italy
Rep
Drives: Bmw E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by koutsouk View Post
PM sent
Hi koutsouk,
Pls I would like to have it too, can you send me the update MCU for e90 10,25 car dv. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 01:12 AM   #1721
tpaxadpom
Private
Rep
Drives: 550i

I have been searching the thread but wasn't able to find the answer. Has anyone tried bypassing crappy analog audio out by connecting to combox A2DP stream (bluetooth enhanced) or similar Bluetooth adapter?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 06:09 AM   #1722
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C MT, '15 X5 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaxadpom View Post
I have been searching the thread but wasn't able to find the answer. Has anyone tried bypassing crappy analog audio out by connecting to combox A2DP stream (bluetooth enhanced) or similar Bluetooth adapter?
Yes, we covered that in the thread. It works just fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #1723
Sergio_guada
Rep
Drives: F34 320d

I have this problem in cold start. The problem persists once the engine is started, but disappears when 5 minutes pass

View My Video
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 10:11 AM   #1724
tpaxadpom
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlb5 View Post
Yes, we covered that in the thread. It works just fine.
Thank you. I just wanted to clarify, by bypassing the crappy audio I was referring to pairing the Android screen to external BT adapter (Combox or after market), not the phone. The idea is to run spotify or similar app on the Android screen and stream via BT instead of analog audio out that has known sound quality problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 11:13 AM   #1725
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. I just wanted to clarify, by bypassing the crappy audio I was referring to pairing the Android screen to external BT adapter (Combox or after market), not the phone. The idea is to run spotify or similar app on the Android screen and stream via BT instead of analog audio out that has known sound quality problems.
Sorry about that. I'm not sure if that was covered or not. I was referring to phone BT, not what you are after.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 07:48 PM   #1726
tpaxadpom
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sorry about that. I'm not sure if that was covered or not. I was referring to phone BT, not what you are after.
Can you try to see if you can pair your android screen to combox or external Bluetooth adapter?

Last edited by tpaxadpom; 04-06-2018 at 01:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 12:49 PM   #1727
Cengiz29
Rep
Drives: Bmw f46

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticimex View Post
1. Correct.

2. No SIM card slot. You use your phone as a hotspot to connect the screen to your phone's internet connection. I don't know enough of the BMW data service to answer if it'd work if you have it or not.
You can also buy a WiFi hotspot device (looks like a USB), where you can plug in a SIM card to share the internet without having to connect your phone all the time.

3. Yes, it's possible. Think of the device as any other Android unit/phone.

4. Not 100% sure, probably 32GB.

5. As I don't have GPS on my car, I can't answer. But it should work as per usual with the onboard navi.

6. I don't see why it wouldn't continue to work. You're simply changing the screen, not the actual combox.

7. If you lease the car you should check with your leaser, otherwise it should be fine. You can always re-install the old screen if you wish.
Hello i have a 64 GB sd card and works without problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 01:40 PM   #1728
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Can you try to see if you can pair your android screen to combox or external Bluetooth adapter?
That’s an interesting idea. I will give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 05:22 AM   #1729
CookieInYaFace
Rep
Drives: 320d E91 2006 CCC Prof

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewallaby View Post
Hey guys,
I'm using a 128gb sd, works fine
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 08:09 AM   #1730
Pacsniper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Sedan

I need some help. The android side of the Avin unit will not boot up, it just stays on the bootup screen "BMW Connected Drive"
I can still use the OEM side and the little speedometer works fine on the right side of the screen.
I didn't do anything to it, last thing I did was put music in a micro SD card days before it no longer wanted to work.
I email Avin about 5 days ago but no response yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 12:19 AM   #1731
aclearersky
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
That’s an interesting idea. I will give it a try.
I believe they have the bluetooth setting locked from the factory with no current way known to unlock. But ive been using my tune2air for audio and the android screen so the buttons will work and you dont deal with the crappy audio
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 06:33 AM   #1732
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclearersky View Post
I believe they have the bluetooth setting locked from the factory with no current way known to unlock. But ive been using my tune2air for audio and the android screen so the buttons will work and you dont deal with the crappy audio
I couldn’t figure out how to transmit from the android to the Bmw bt. The android is set up to receive bt from a phone, but I didn’t see a way to pair the android with the Bmw.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 02:13 PM   #1733
xl3vax
Rep
Drives: 428i BMW

tune2air

I tried the AVIN bluetooth, and it is not high quality. However it may help to keep it half of the volume so it doesn't distort.

If you want, I have an extra tune2air bluetooth receiver that will bypass your AVIN unit for better audio. works with steering wheel controls too.
I sell it for 30 USD + shipping.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 03:10 PM   #1734
noelskii
Rep
Drives: 2007 X5 3.0 SI

Quote:
Originally Posted by xl3vax View Post
I tried the AVIN bluetooth, and it is not high quality. However it may help to keep it half of the volume so it doesn't distort.

If you want, I have an extra tune2air bluetooth receiver that will bypass your AVIN unit for better audio. works with steering wheel controls too.
I sell it for 30 USD + shipping.
Geez, why are so many people having issues!?

I guess I got lucky with my unit last year. Installed it in one shot and everything worked as it was supposed to with no issues.

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 04:14 PM   #1735
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelskii View Post
Geez, why are so many people having issues!?

I guess I got lucky with my unit last year. Installed it in one shot and everything worked as it was supposed to with no issues.

Do you have any bass? Everything works fine on my too except for sound quality. If I only listened to podcasts, I'd think everything is cool. It's like there's a filter knocking out the bass. I have a 12" sub in the back and running just the Avin through the 3.5mm armrest jack, the sub barely puts anything out.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 05:48 AM   #1736
ruisilva
Rep
Drives: bmw f31 320d

My big problem is the ignition issue, I need to have the ignition on to listen radio while with the original system I just push the radio button and it works.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 07:16 AM   #1737
DeeKay
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3

It seems like a lottery ticket - Amazing screen, but hit or miss with quality and compability?
      04-11-2018, 09:49 AM   #1738
fantaxp7
Rep
Drives: 2014 xDrive50i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclearersky View Post
There arnt any icons for ainur or James dsp they change your system files. All the sound changes will need to be adjusted via viper. How are you listening to music? Like Spotify , mp3 files , or what?
I've been using Spotify to test.

Thanks
Appreciate 0