F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
Extreme Powerhouse

08-16-2021, 10:51 PM   #8537
BavarianMotorWorks
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i xDrive

So I wanted to see if anyone was having this issue with the Andream and the BMW CIC headunit.

So the only issue I have is that there are many times I'll turn on my car and while my iPhone is connected to the Andream via wireless Carplay the screen is still showing the BMW CIC menu.

What I'm pretty sure is happening is that the Andream boots up and I can hear it "click" and try to switch the screen over to the Andream unit. But because of the BMW still booting the iDrive or maybe because of the iDrive warning screen the screen still stays on the BMW menu.

At this point the Andream unit thinks I'm on the Andream screen and because of that the iDrive won't work at all.

As soon as I hold menu for 2 seconds the Andream releases the controller to work with BMW again. And since the screen was already the BMW screen nothing there changes except that I can control the BMW side again.

I press menu again for 2 seconds and it goes back into Andream no problem and iDrive controller works for Andream no problem.

I hope this makes sense...not that this is the biggest deal since it just means I hold down menu for 2 seconds twice and I'm back in the Andream again but I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this and if there is a fix.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 01:12 AM   #8538
northbimmer
Registered
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d F11 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAF12 View Post
You can always return items and get your money back.
They sent you a free postage return label, just print it. Do a friendly email to the vendor and explain and said you want money back. After receiving and checking they sent the money back.
I'm glad that things worked out for you, but it's not always that easy. I was told that returning to HK will be expensive for me (even though it came from Germany!). After reading Tony_B's experiences (thank you for sharing!), I certainly don't want to try that and possibly end up without the unit and the money.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 03:21 AM   #8539
phyco1991
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckarv View Post
Nice, was starting to wonder if there was going to be any new updates for our box.

Which one did you use to update? GEMINI_PACK.BIN or ISPBOOT.BIN? And what's the difference?

Thanks!

Edit: Successfully updated the software from v1.2.5 to v1.5.9. I copied both GEMINI_PACK.BIN and ISPBOOOT.BIN onto the USB drive, but since I was on v1.2.5 I only saw "UPDATE", and couldn't specify GEMINI_PACK or ISPBOOOT specifically, as seems to be possible in the v1.5.9. In other words, I assume the update was loaded by GEMINI_PACK.BIN. Going forward, it'd probably be possible to use either or, and if my memory serves, GEMINI_PACK.BIN might be a partial update, and ISPBOOOT.BIN would be a complete update. Unsure of the actual difference.
Generally it's
A version hardware = ISPBOOOT
B/B2 version hardware = GEMINI_PACK
Appreciate 1
ckarv15.50
      08-17-2021, 04:54 AM   #8540
ckarv
Private
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyco1991 View Post
Generally it's
A version hardware = ISPBOOOT
B/B2 version hardware = GEMINI_PACK
Thanks for the reply. What's interesting is that now, in B_v1.5.9, in the System Upgrade menu, I can choose between "Upgrade GEMINI_PACK" and "Upgrade ISPBOOOT".
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 11:05 AM   #8541
Chaton78
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedou974 View Post
maybe you took a bump and it switch I see your are in Montreal too, on connait la qualité des routes ici ahah
Really...I thought about it. lol
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 11:12 AM   #8542
johnerg
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 Xdrive35d X5 2015

just flashed the b_v.15.9 to my Andream B-Version. Everything seems to be working fine.
Does anyone know what the option 'HiCar map confirmation' do ? and also curious, is there anyway to start Spotify automatically when the wireless Apple car-play connects?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 11:22 AM   #8543
jaximointhecut
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaximointhecut View Post
Hello,

Does anyone have experience with the audio quality being extremely bass heavy? Like TOO bass heavy. I've had to reduce the bass and treble to -5 for each one and the audio quality just sounds off. I like listening to hip hop occasionally and it just sounds bad.

The default radio sounds muffled and has too little bass. I work in IT so i thought I'd be able to figure it out but I'm really lost at this point. Everything else works fine the audio quality is just awful. My iPhone is connected via USB to CarPlay.

These are the settings when I hit aux on the original iDrive. Apparently I should be able to increase or decrease the volume. I'm able to scroll the iDrive wheel to up to 20 volume.

When installing I noticed this cable wouldn't sit flush, no matter how hard I tried. I literally sat in my car for two hours trying to get it to sit flush but this is the most I can get it to. Could this be related?
Hello,

I had the same issue with this extremely high bass.

I have solved the issue setting to disable the bass option on "Setup->Audio->Bass (or similar)", and also setting the equalizer as standard (flat).

Any of the bass values (400, 800, 2400, 400+h, 800+h or 2400+h), they produce a nasty sound in the car oem sound system.
Thanks for your comment. Maybe I have a different software version than you? I'm unable to find any bass values throughout the main menu. Here's what I see (sound setting is the 2nd pic):
Attached Images

08-17-2021, 12:34 PM   #8544
ficus
Rep
Drives: bmw X1 f48

I have Andream MMI and I have this audio issue:
With wifi and bt on, the iphone connects to mmi, the carplay starts, but I have no sound for music, spotify, waze ...
If I turn off BT, the sound returns and everything is ok.
Sometimes, when carplay is turned on and I switch to the radio, from the MODE button, I can't change the stored stations, from the radio buttons.
Any idea?
BMW X1 and Andream mmi with 1.5.5 software.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 12:41 PM   #8545
bedou974
Canada
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper Countryman S 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficus View Post
I have Andream MMI and I have this audio issue:
With wifi and bt on, the iphone connects to mmi, the carplay starts, but I have no sound for music, spotify, waze ...
If I turn off BT, the sound returns and everything is ok.
Sometimes, when carplay is turned on and I switch to the radio, from the MODE button, I can't change the stored stations, from the radio buttons.
Any idea?
BMW X1 and Andream mmi with 1.5.5 software.
i guess your phone is outputting audio thru the car defaut bluetooth unpair your car and your phone and use only carplay
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 12:42 PM   #8546
bedou974
Canada
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper Countryman S 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnerg View Post
just flashed the b_v.15.9 to my Andream B-Version. Everything seems to be working fine.
Does anyone know what the option 'HiCar map confirmation' do ? and also curious, is there anyway to start Spotify automatically when the wireless Apple car-play connects?
HiCar is Huawei equivalent of AA and Carplay so maybe it has support for that
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 01:11 PM   #8547
Seratio
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er F31 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnerg View Post
and also curious, is there anyway to start Spotify automatically when the wireless Apple car-play connects?

What you can do, is to create an automation in the apple shortcuts app.

There you can create an action which starts a spotify playlist as soon as carplay is connected.

Sometimes it starts the music to early, which means that the music is comming out of the phone speakers. But you tell the automation to wait eg 10 sec before starting spotify
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 01:48 PM   #8548
aohus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Monaco Blue 335i

Got Andream Carplay working well on my '10 335i w/ factory CIC. Only issue I have now is that I can't read/code the CIC module with the carplay retrofit installed. Good thing I did all necessary coding before installing the retrofit.

EDIT: In order to be able to read/code CIC, use "connect 1" method in the image below. I was able to read/code the CIC unit once I connected it that way (this is the default method, it should come pre-attached in this configuration I believe)

Couple things to bear in mind.

If your disc drive is DVD compatible (I checked my VIN and it had a S697A code AREA-CODE 1 FOR DVD, Area Code 1 means North America), you can connect via method 3 (connect #A to #B). In essence you won't need to use the idrive harness that comes with the andream unit, however you will lose the ability to read cic module. you method 1 if you do want to read cic unit still

Also, you don't need to wire the aux cable to the center armrest aux port. you can enable aux front in via coding under the CIC module.

CDMM_AUX_HU -> aktiv
CDMM_USB_AUDIO -> nicht_aktiv
CDMM_USB_AUDIO_DOUBLE -> nicht_aktiv

In order for the OEM voice control to not overlap with Siri voice control, disable the following as well under CIC/HU

SVS -> nicht_aktiv
SYSTEM_TTS -> nicht_aktiv

Make sure to enable Aux Front In in CD/Multimedia settings in CIC.

Oh and to answer my earlier question I posted above regarding dip switches, make sure switch 2 and 3 is ON (down position)

Everything is working as intended and very happy with the unit. Andream staff has been responsive to troubleshooting questions as well.

carplay unit came with the following version

Couple open issues I do have however:

* Ability to use OEM BT audio instead of Aux Front in. Right now it works when streaming audio via carplay, but if I use siri, it won't work and the sound gets disabled. I have to toggle back to aux front in for the sound to come back.

* Ability to read/code the CIC module with carplay installed. I'm wondering if its because I need to install via method 2 (high canbus capability), but wondering if that will render the carplay inoperable since I have the DVD disc drive)

* Intermittently, carplay will randomly quit out and I'll be on the CIC menu. Wondering if its a signal or connection issue or something else. It doesn't happen often but I'll need to investigate further
2010 E92 Monaco Blue 335i / Gray Dakota Leather / Steptronic / Sport / Premium / Navi / L7 / 18" Performance Wheels / HPFP fail @ 8400 miles (replaced with #933 pump) // MODS: Mishimoto OCC | VRSF CP + Turbosmart Dual Port BOV | RB PCV Valve // Maintenance: Walnut Blast @ 56k | Spark Plugs Replaced @ 56k | Addons: BN2000 Combox // Andream Carplay // Rear Camera // Spark Plugs (.022 gap) and Coils Replaced 73.1k
2019 G01 Carbon Black X3 M40i / Premium / Driver Assist / 21" on Bridgestone Alienza RFT

Last edited by aohus; 08-29-2021 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
vennids16.50
      08-17-2021, 02:45 PM   #8549
YorkFieldX
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330D (RHD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohus View Post
* Intermittently, carplay will randomly quit out and I'll be on the CIC menu. Wondering if its a signal or connection issue or something else. It doesn't happen often but I'll need to investigate further
Hey! I also have an E9X car with factory CIC. I had the same problem when my RoadTop unit arrived, and I've messaged the seller. They have sent me an MCU update file which immediately solved the issue. Seems like it's the case for you too.

After that they've also provided a Software Update file (An archive with both ISPBOOOT.BIN and GEMINI_PACK.BIN) asking to copy both to USB and just use "Software Update" in the menu. This update added "YouTube" app to main screen.

Regarding the coding, what software did you use to code your car so that you don't have to run an AUX cable? I have access to a laptop with NCS, but I'm not confident using it yet, and I've only used BimmerCode app to disable a disclaimer screen on CIC.

Quote:
In order for the OEM voice control to not overlap with Siri voice control, disable the following as well under CIC/HU

SVS -> nicht_aktiv
SYSTEM_TTS -> nicht_aktiv
I also have OEM Voice Control in my car, but it doesn't seem to overlap with Siri when CarPlay is active.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 03:24 PM   #8550
Ashhong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seratio View Post
What you can do, is to create an automation in the apple shortcuts app.

There you can create an action which starts a spotify playlist as soon as carplay is connected.

Sometimes it starts the music to early, which means that the music is comming out of the phone speakers. But you tell the automation to wait eg 10 sec before starting spotify
I do this but it sucks. Opening the door or trunk activates carplay and I'll be loading things into the car and music will play on my phone, even with the delay. Wish there was an option to auto play on the unit
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 03:31 PM   #8551
aohus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Monaco Blue 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkFieldX View Post
Hey! I also have an E9X car with factory CIC. I had the same problem when my RoadTop unit arrived, and I've messaged the seller. They have sent me an MCU update file which immediately solved the issue. Seems like it's the case for you too.

After that they've also provided a Software Update file (An archive with both ISPBOOOT.BIN and GEMINI_PACK.BIN) asking to copy both to USB and just use "Software Update" in the menu. This update added "YouTube" app to main screen.

Regarding the coding, what software did you use to code your car so that you don't have to run an AUX cable? I have access to a laptop with NCS, but I'm not confident using it yet, and I've only used BimmerCode app to disable a disclaimer screen on CIC.

I also have OEM Voice Control in my car, but it doesn't seem to overlap with Siri when CarPlay is active.
you can use bimmercode app (in expert mode, and you can search for these in the search bar) and go into CIC module and apply the following.

CDMM_AUX_HU -> aktiv
CDMM_USB_AUDIO -> nicht_aktiv
CDMM_USB_AUDIO_DOUBLE -> nicht_aktiv

i'm having a separate issue now where the voice controls and track skipping functionality on steering wheel actually stopped working for me when in aux front mode. if anyone knows why please let me know.

EDIT above: I'm dumb, I had wheel key set to off, thereby disabling the steering wheel buttons. I enabled it and the buttons work again.
2010 E92 Monaco Blue 335i / Gray Dakota Leather / Steptronic / Sport / Premium / Navi / L7 / 18" Performance Wheels / HPFP fail @ 8400 miles (replaced with #933 pump) // MODS: Mishimoto OCC | VRSF CP + Turbosmart Dual Port BOV | RB PCV Valve // Maintenance: Walnut Blast @ 56k | Spark Plugs Replaced @ 56k | Addons: BN2000 Combox // Andream Carplay // Rear Camera // Spark Plugs (.022 gap) and Coils Replaced 73.1k
2019 G01 Carbon Black X3 M40i / Premium / Driver Assist / 21" on Bridgestone Alienza RFT

Last edited by aohus; 08-19-2021 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2021, 04:59 PM   #8552
RAAF12
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbimmer View Post
I'm glad that things worked out for you, but it's not always that easy. I was told that returning to HK will be expensive for me (even though it came from Germany!). After reading Tony_B's experiences (thank you for sharing!), I certainly don't want to try that and possibly end up without the unit and the money.
Hmm, my Aliexpress vendor has a warehouse in Poland, EU so it was easier to sent it back. The self printed free postage label was to an address in my homeland NL.
My point is that complaints about used units instead of brandnew is normal. Maybe an email to the vendor and write what went wrong and what you want (new sealed unit/money back/return pay ect) can be succesfull.
I know Paypal does free return sendings in case of bad products. Succes.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 09:08 AM   #8553
ggrcrash
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollyran View Post
MMI BT issue.
I had to rest my phone (S9) I am able to connect wirelessly to AA but the BT dose not connect for calls (I have to manually do it in the option at the phone).
What I am missing here?
Using v2.0.B0.mod.

Make sure phone, connects Bluetooth for phone, AND make sure car idrive is also connected that way, lastly, check audio settings for mmi device uses cars bluetooth connection.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 09:09 AM   #8554
jjra
Rep
Drives: E90 > F48

Quote:
Thanks for your comment. Maybe I have a different software version than you? I'm unable to find any bass values throughout the main menu. Here's what I see (sound setting is the 2nd pic):
Hi,

Definitely it isn't the same options than in my MMI box.

Regarding your screen captures, I suggest to set, in your first picture, "Alpine" option instead of "Harman", and in EQ Setting, set every value to 0.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 10:51 AM   #8555
Tony_B
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BWM 435d Xdrive

Quote:
This looks like an Android Integrated HU to me not an MMI? If so there are dedicated threads for that which may offer better advice than this MMI one...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 01:34 PM   #8556
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
That is not a MMI unit.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 05:06 PM   #8557
YorkFieldX
Rep

Quote:
based on how you connected the carplay mmi box, you may not be able to code the CIC/HU module unless you disconnect the retrofit
Thank you! That worked! My coding parameters weren't 1 to 1 of what you mentioned, but in the end it works as expected.

My unit is connected in probably the least intrusive way. Connector "A" goes to connector "B".
With this setup you won't be able to code the head unit, however, to allow for coding again, all you need to do is temporarily disconnect Connector "A" and make Connector "B" connected to Plug Connector "D". This will basically isolate the MMI box's can from the rest of the car, allowing for coding to happen.

I love this setup because the only cable you have to run this way is the microphone cable, and installation is very easily reversible shall things go wrong in the future (only things affected by install are head unit's square connector (with optic fibre lines transfer), and microphone cable run. That's it. No AUX cable, no iDrive controller cable.

So, TL/DR
CarPlay connection mode: A <--> B
Coding connection mode: B <--> D
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 05:12 PM   #8558
YorkFieldX
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakitout View Post
Long time lurker...

I have had my MMI box installed for about a year (thanks to this community!), but have been annoyed at the slow charging rate when my phone is plugged in. The wireless has never worked reliably for me, so I have always had my phone plugged in.

To overcome my frustration with the slow charging, I ended up designing a 15W USB C Charger (max 5V@3A) with data passthrough to use with the MMI setup that allows fast charging a phone and using Carplay/Android Auto at the same time.

Photo of the charger I designed.

Designed and printed a 3D enclosure out of PETG for it.

Repurposed the cigarette lighter in the passenger footwell for the 12V the charger needed and it made for a clean setup. (Before)

(After)

Using the 12V from the cigarette lighter and re-running the MMI USB cable to attach to the charger for data passthrough for a completed install.

I have some boards left over since there was a minimum order quantity when I was getting them assembled. Willing to give back to this community and give them away for free to anyone who'd like one. They aren't going to do anyone good collecting dust on my desk.
Hey, is there any chance you could share an STL file for this design?
I'm thinking of trying something similar but with a centre console cigarette lighter / 12V socket.

Thank you! Really appreciated!
Appreciate 0