F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > xDrive All-Wheel Drive Discussions > XDelete- the answer to XDrive?
ARMA SPEED

09-23-2019, 01:13 PM   #221
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

„Weaker"??

(I am more and more impressed by this company.)
      09-23-2019, 01:50 PM   #222
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
„Weaker"??

(I am more and more impressed by this company.)
Apparently.

Maybe they kept breaking the transfer case or something during testing? We'll never know, all I know is, it's still in testing and they're working hard to provide something safe.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 02:20 PM   #223
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

How can they be breaking anything if what they say in the manual is true - that they are simply taking advantage of the dynamic distribution which is there by design....?

I suspect it ain't as simple as that
      09-23-2019, 04:28 PM   #224
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Can I use the lighting to Ethernet cable I've bought for Bootmod3? 😂

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 06:58 PM   #225
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
How can they be breaking anything if what they say in the manual is true - that they are simply taking advantage of the dynamic distribution which is there by design....?

dynamic distribution when needed

I suspect running the same bias all the time (exception is RWD only) probably isn't good for something that's new on the f-series, remember, that manual was made for e-series first. I sent in an email asking more about what they meant about weaker.

Why are you so suspect? e-series guys have been running this for a LONG time and there is absolutely no drawbacks, noone has posted any damage on their side of the forums. I'm currently running it and quite honestly, I don't see anything in the long term either, and I'm also running their transmission flash.

Not to mention, I currently have 140k miles on the car.

If you keep being afraid something is going to break because you think the science doesn't add up, you're never going to be able to enjoy what aftermarket companies are going to release.
      09-23-2019, 07:04 PM   #226
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Running it on what car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 07:07 PM   #227
opinion914
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 N47

Anyone with a Galaxy Note 8 or older get this app to work? I understand my Note 4 not being up to the task but a Note 8 is still a popular platform. Seems only Android phones which have ability to alter the Ethernet function can even have a shot at XDelete.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 07:39 PM   #228
Steakpizza
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Can I use the lighting to Ethernet cable I've bought for Bootmod3? 😂
Wait can you do that with Bootmod3?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 09:05 PM   #229
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opinion914 View Post
Anyone with a Galaxy Note 8 or older get this app to work? I understand my Note 4 not being up to the task but a Note 8 is still a popular platform. Seems only Android phones which have ability to alter the Ethernet function can even have a shot at XDelete.
Best way to find out is google the model and brand of the smartphone and add ethernet next to it and normally it'll pop the manual or forums.

I found out the samsung supports it in the Note 8, A8, S8 and beyond, A20 and beyond.

I still have not found out which old model iPhone supports it yet, I did find out that iPhone 6/6s does not support ethernet.
      09-23-2019, 09:21 PM   #230
Steakpizza
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by opinion914 View Post
Best way to find out is google the model and brand of the smartphone and add ethernet next to it and normally it'll pop the manual or forums.

I found out the samsung supports it in the Note 8, A8, S8 and beyond, A20 and beyond.

I still have not found out which old model iPhone supports it yet, I did find out that iPhone 6/6s does not support ethernet.
I have an IPhone 6 and it does support Ethernet. I think regardless of device you need a certain iOS update for it.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 09:22 PM   #231
SteelBlue46
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 335i XDrive

Thought I'd chime in on the connection issues. not sure if this will help anyone. But I'm using a Galaxy S10 with the ethernet settings provided by the instructions with this ethernet to USB C adaptor I got on amazon(Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PX9ZY3C...p_mob_ap_share ) and the ethernet to obd cable I use for bm3(I think from amazon aswell) and thankfully had no connection issues since release. I recently took a nonstop 1.5-2hr to and from drive to philly with a range of driving conditions slow traffic to long runs at highway speed and above and stop and go traffic in RWD mode with no ill effects that I could feel,see,hear,smell. just the other day I parked in grass on a hill and was able to easily switch back to awd to save the embarrassment of spinning tires and getting stuck or stalling infront of random people .

My car is a 6spd man. 2013 335i Xdrive running BM3 Stage 2 with a catted downpipe, Charge pipe,intercooler, AWE exhaust and AFE intake.
Appreciate 2
ali820271.50
celsdogg290.00
      09-23-2019, 11:37 PM   #232
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steakpizza View Post
I have an IPhone 6 and it does support Ethernet. I think regardless of device you need a certain iOS update for it.
Really? What IOS do you have? If that ethernet UI under settings popped up for you then it must be the IOS version or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue46 View Post
Thought I'd chime in on the connection issues. not sure if this will help anyone. But I'm using a Galaxy S10 with the ethernet settings provided by the instructions with this ethernet to USB C adaptor I got on amazon(Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PX9ZY3C...p_mob_ap_share ) and the ethernet to obd cable I use for bm3(I think from amazon aswell) and thankfully had no connection issues since release. I recently took a nonstop 1.5-2hr to and from drive to philly with a range of driving conditions slow traffic to long runs at highway speed and above and stop and go traffic in RWD mode with no I'll effects that I could feel,see,hear,smell. just the other day I parked in grass on a hill and was able to easily switch back to awd to save the embarrassment of spinning tires and getting stuck or stalling infront of random people .

My car is a 6spd man. 2013 335i Xdrive running BM3 Stage 2 with a catted downpipe, Charge pipe,intercooler, AWE exhaust and AFE intake.

I recently did a 8 hour drive this past sunday and noticed that my gas mileage improved as well.
      09-23-2019, 11:44 PM   #233
Steakpizza
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steakpizza View Post
Really? What IOS do you have? If that ethernet UI under settings popped up for you then it must be the IOS version or something.

That's what's worked for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 01:29 AM   #234
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

dynamic distribution when needed

I suspect running the same bias all the time (exception is RWD only) probably isn't good for something that's new on the f-series, remember, that manual was made for e-series first. I sent in an email asking more about what they meant about weaker.

Why are you so suspect? e-series guys have been running this for a LONG time and there is absolutely no drawbacks, noone has posted any damage on their side of the forums. I'm currently running it and quite honestly, I don't see anything in the long term either, and I'm also running their transmission flash.

Not to mention, I currently have 140k miles on the car.

If you keep being afraid something is going to break because you think the science doesn't add up, you're never going to be able to enjoy what aftermarket companies are going to release.
The fact that a product is released before the supporting documentation (as informal as it is) is updated is one thing.

But more importantly - the 2 additional modes are described as still dynamically redistributing torque/power (as stock), just differently allocated, with higher rear bias. If components fail by doing that, they will certainly fail in pure RWD mode as well!

And last but not least - it is not the breaking of something that is the primary concern of many here, if you've read the previous posts. It is the SAFETY, which is affected by the product of a group of anonymous people with questionable competence and presumably very limited testing abilities. If the subject matter was interior lights or a mod to the iDrive - completely different story.

And I am not sure how it is in your countries, but in most of Europe, if you get into an accident, a roadworthiness investigation follows. If it is discovered that you modded your drivetrain - you WILL get the entire blame for the accident (even if you didn't cause it) as you were driving a vehicle which is not roadworthy as it has no approval for the mod. Subsequently also the insurance company will only wish you good luck.
      09-24-2019, 01:38 AM   #235
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The fact that a product is released before the supporting documentation (as informal as it is) is updated is one thing.

But more importantly - the 2 additional modes are described as still dynamically redistributing torque/power (as stock), just differently allocated, with higher rear bias. If components fail by doing that, they will certainly fail in pure RWD mode as well!

And last but not least - it is not the breaking of something that is the primary concern of many here, if you've read the previous posts. It is the SAFETY, which is affected by the product of a group of anonymous people with questionable competence and presumably very limited testing abilities.
It should not fail in RWD mode as the clutch is disconnected, what's unsafe about it? DTC, DSC still works as per normal unless you manually turn it off. I've done a couple dozen 1/4 mile launches with no problems.

Also, it took them years to release xDelete for F-series, that's years of development and testing, just like how XHP took 6-7 years to release 8AT flash, they would not release something that doesn't work. Obviously on launch they ran into a couple speedbumps but a few days updates fixed the issues.

If you want to wait a year, or two, or three before buying it, that's for you, but I'm going to enjoy my RWD in the summers, and xDrive in the winters.
      09-24-2019, 05:36 AM   #236
H4CK1NT05H
Private
Rep
Drives: Aw f30 n55

According to dev my bootloader needs to be upgraded to use xDelete. There trying to push an update in next "2-3 days" that would update this automatically through the app.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 09:12 AM   #237
ali820
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 335i MPE 6sp Suzuka Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4CK1NT05H View Post
According to dev my bootloader needs to be upgraded to use xDelete. There trying to push an update in next "2-3 days" that would update this automatically through the app.
What's a bootloader and why's it updating?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 10:16 AM   #238
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali820 View Post
Quote:
The bootloader is usually a module or piece of code that contains the start up logic specifying the local hardware and location of software used to spin up the OS. In Windows, for example, this would be the BIOS where you can choose which harddrive or device to boot the OS from.

Also, on Android devices you need to be unlocked to update the bootloader. It's for really hardcore hands on users, and not something most people should be doing to their phone. One wrong command and you will end up with a n expensive glass covered paperweight.

Are you rooted or using a custom bootloader/ROM @Hackintosh? Since that's your tag, Im going to assume yes lol. Theres really no reason a 3rd party app should require a bootloader update, or say thay they will push an update for it. Unless you are on a custom setup. Some apps will verify if the device is rooted to safeguard from malicious code using their application services to do nefarious things. With xdelete and it's use in altering fundamental parts in the vehicle it's likely they are doing some root checks and failing the upgrade somewhere.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
Poochie9097.50
      09-24-2019, 10:38 AM   #239
H4CK1NT05H
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali820 View Post
Quote:
The bootloader is usually a module or piece of code that contains the start up logic specifying the local hardware and location of software used to spin up the OS. In Windows, for example, this would be the BIOS where you can choose which harddrive or device to boot the OS from.

Also, on Android devices you need to be unlocked to update the bootloader. It's for really hardcore hands on users, and not something most people should be doing to their phone. One wrong command and you will end up with a n expensive glass covered paperweight.

Are you rooted or using a custom bootloader/ROM @Hackintosh? Since that's your tag, Im going to assume yes lol. Theres really no reason a 3rd party app should require a bootloader update, or say thay they will push an update for it. Unless you are on a custom setup. Some apps will verify if the device is rooted to safeguard from malicious code using their application services to do nefarious things. With xdelete and it's use in altering fundamental parts in the vehicle it's likely they are doing some root checks and failing the upgrade somewhere.
Dev did say if I update my bootloader myself it would work or wait the 2-3 days till the app updates and it will do it automatically. I was just going to wait a few days till the app updates. I'm on iOS btw not android and the device I'm using is not jailbroken. My car is custom tuned and it's an early 2013 model idk if either has to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 10:47 AM   #240
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Still odd. I'm a couple years into iOS development as well, and I find their explanation odd. Third party app still should not be able to force an OS update. They're probably just adding a check for the versions and displaying a message to the user to update their phone or the app won't work. No iOS updates ever require a user to update their bootloader independently. Just update the phone from General Settings yourself, and you should be good.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 11:06 AM   #241
H4CK1NT05H
Private
Rep

I agree they can't be talking about the phone side, is it possible there's a bootloader for the car? Btw I was on the latest version of iOS 12 first attempt and last attempt was using iOS 13 on iPhone 11 pro max.

Edit: according to dev my "xdrive unit" needs bootloader update.
Appreciate 1
Logicoeur988.00
      09-24-2019, 11:47 AM   #242
Vinboyblue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Can you do this on the fly while driving?
Our car pretty much already does this on the fly whiles driving.
Appreciate 0