F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > 75k mile service/preventive maintenance
proTUNING Freaks

06-19-2019, 06:31 AM   #1
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
75k mile service/preventive maintenance

Hey guys, here is the list I am planning to do.

Any ideas?

-water pump/thermostat
-tensioner/pulley
-automatic tranny fluid
-check for any leaks

Plugs were changed at 50k, coils were not changed yet.

Any other fluids I should change.. power steering maybe?

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2019, 08:14 AM   #2
Fliplegend
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435ix F33

Diff and brake fluids?
      06-19-2019, 09:30 AM   #3
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike. View Post

Any ideas?

-water pump/thermostat
-tensioner/pulley
-automatic tranny fluid
-check for any leaks

Is your car a 320 or 328? If so, the water pump is electric. I'm not sure what the lifespan is on these, but I've "heard" they generally fail somewhere between 60k and 80k miles, though plenty of people on here have reported well over 100k miles on the original unit. The electronically controlled thermostat on these cars is warrantied to (if memory serves) 100k miles, so I wouldn't replace it. When they fail, they are designed to fail in the "open" position so that the car won't overheat and it will typically throw a code, so I would wait. Mine failed right around 42K miles.

For tranny fluid, ZF recommends between 60 and 80k miles. My Bentley manual states 100k. As long as you do it before 100k, I think you should be fine.

Tensioner pulley, I probably wouldn't replace myself if it wasn't giving me issues.

Regarding the power steering, these cars have electric power steering, so no fluid to change.

Diff fluid wouldn't be a bad idea. Brake fluid, I would test before changing. Amazon sells these pretty nifty electronic brake fluid testers that will tell you if your fluid needs to be changed. I would probably buy one of those and test it before changing it. That way you can test all your cars.

Last edited by IraHayes; 06-19-2019 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 2
Mike.2044.00
      06-19-2019, 09:52 AM   #4
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Brake fluid should be changed every 2years I think. Regardless of miles.

If your taking your car into an Indy shop I would buy the parts ahead of time and wait for them to have issues before replacing. This way your ready to go with no wait time for parts and you might be able to find a deal on OEM stuff. Water pump is expensive.
Appreciate 3
Mike.2044.00
      06-19-2019, 11:14 AM   #5
murphius1118
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
I'm at 70K miles and the following maintenance has been recently performed by myself with the exception of the tranny flush and fill:

Replaced plugs @ 69K
Brake fluid flushed @ 62K (I try to do this every 20K)
Transmission fluid and filter replaced @ 65K. This was done by a local indy shop who has BMW certified techs on staff. Labor was about $280 and I supplied all fluid (ZF Lifeguard 8 / tech used about 6 liters), ZF pan/filter and hardware. Parts were the most significant cost so I sourced and purchased everything myself....eBay was a great source and I got some pretty good deals.
Thermostat and Water Pump @ 64K. I also did this myself as the quote from the same indy shop was crazy...as you can imagine they were overcharging me for parts. Ended up finding an OEM water pump on eBay for $210, thermostat for $50 and antifreeze for $20. I ran a diagnostic via the Carly app and it showed a blockage in coolant system which most likely was the thermostat stuck open...I wasn't aware of the extended thermostat warranty at that time. Being proactive I ended up replacing water pump as well...it will eventually fail as they all do.
Cabin filter replaced @ 62K (performed every 20K)

So far, so good...no issues at this time. Motor oil changed every 5K...Castrol Syntech 0W-30 which is becoming harder to find lately. Overall, the tranny fluid was my biggest concern as I plan on owning this car for a few more years.
'13 328i xDrive│Jet Black│BMS JB Stage 1│MPE│18" 400M & Conti DWS 06│DelVal BMW CCA #533245
Appreciate 3
Ralph335127.50
Tea0.00
      06-19-2019, 02:26 PM   #6
MrZeeMan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphius1118 View Post
I'm at 70K miles and the following maintenance has been recently performed by myself with the exception of the tranny flush and fill:

Replaced plugs @ 69K
Transmission fluid and filter replaced @ 65K. This was done by a local indy shop who has BMW certified techs on staff. Labor was about $280 and I supplied all fluid (ZF Lifeguard 8 / tech used about 6 liters), ZF pan/filter and hardware. Parts were the most significant cost so I sourced and purchased everything myself....eBay was a great source and I got some pretty good deals.
Thermostat and Water Pump @ 64K. I also did this myself as the quote from the same indy shop was crazy...as you can imagine they were overcharging me for parts. Ended up finding an OEM water pump on eBay for $210, thermostat for $50 and antifreeze for $20. I ran a diagnostic via the Carly app and it showed a blockage in coolant system which most likely was the thermostat stuck open...I wasn't aware of the extended thermostat warranty at that time. Being proactive I ended up replacing water pump as well...it will eventually fail as they all do.

So far, so good...no issues at this time. Motor oil changed every 5K...Castrol Syntech 0W-30 which is becoming harder to find lately. Overall, the tranny fluid was my biggest concern as I plan on owning this car for a few more years.
Very helpful. I hit 70k and did an oil change and cabin filter change (this made a huge difference in smells!!)

I'm scheduling a brake fluid change but i guess I should plan for a tranny fluid change as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 03:43 PM   #7
murphius1118
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZeeMan View Post
Very helpful. I hit 70k and did an oil change and cabin filter change (this made a huge difference in smells!!)

I'm scheduling a brake fluid change but i guess I should plan for a tranny fluid change as well.
Yes, tranny flush/fill is highly recommended if you plan on keeping the car beyond 80-100K miles. Check out ebay for the parts needed....there's always a good deal to be had. Be aware that the (plastic) pan will need to be replaced. All pans include an integral fluid filter and typically come with new hardware. ECS Tuning and FCP Euro are good places to check for parts in addition to ebay. You may get some sticker shock when you see the price of a liter of tranny fluid....so you've been forewarned!
'13 328i xDrive│Jet Black│BMS JB Stage 1│MPE│18" 400M & Conti DWS 06│DelVal BMW CCA #533245
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2019, 05:23 PM   #8
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:

Replaced plugs @ 69K

this was huge thank you

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 2
      06-19-2019, 05:25 PM   #9
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IraHayes View Post
Is your car a 320 or 328? If so, the water pump is electric. I'm not sure what the lifespan is on these, but I've "heard" they generally fail somewhere between 60k and 80k miles, though plenty of people on here have reported well over 100k miles on the original unit. The electronically controlled thermostat on these cars is warrantied to (if memory serves) 100k miles, so I wouldn't replace it. When they fail, they are designed to fail in the "open" position so that the car won't overheat and it will typically throw a code, so I would wait. Mine failed right around 42K miles.

For tranny fluid, ZF recommends between 60 and 80k miles. My Bentley manual states 100k. As long as you do it before 100k, I think you should be fine.

Tensioner pulley, I probably wouldn't replace myself if it wasn't giving me issues.

Regarding the power steering, these cars have electric power steering, so no fluid to change.

Diff fluid wouldn't be a bad idea. Brake fluid, I would test before changing. Amazon sells these pretty nifty electronic brake fluid testers that will tell you if your fluid needs to be changed. I would probably buy one of those and test it before changing it. That way you can test all your cars.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 10:50 PM   #10
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:

Replaced plugs @ 69K

How hard was the pump to do?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 05:31 PM   #11
murphius1118
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Loosening the top bolt was the hardest part. Difficult to get to....had to use two extensions and a universal joint in order to remove and replace. Besides that fairly simple being that its an electric water pump so no belts to worry about.

BMW recommends all new hardware when replacing the thermostat and water pump. Hardware is the E-socket torx type so you'll need to purchase sockets if you don't have already. I'll post the part numbers for hardware when I get a chance. Also you'll need to refill and bleed coolant system. I used the tried and true Bentley manual for reference.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 12:33 PM   #12
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just had a chance to look at my Bentley manual. Your engine is the N55, correct? Looks like N55 comes equipped electric water pump, electric thermostat, and electric power steering as well.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2019, 12:37 PM   #13
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IraHayes View Post
Quote:
I just had a chance to look at my Bentley manual. Your engine is the N55, correct? Looks like N55 comes equipped electric water pump, electric thermostat, and electric power steering as well.
correct. It is an n55, and yes you are right

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 08:22 AM   #14
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:

Any ideas?

-water pump/thermostat
-tensioner/pulley
-automatic tranny fluid
-check for any leaks

ATF. Everything else just replace when it goes.

Coils are 100k miles.

Tensioner pulley, Water pump and thermostat? Nah. Even Mike Miller doesn't recommend replacing perfectly functioning parts for the sake of it.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 08:37 AM   #15
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:

Any ideas?

-water pump/thermostat
-tensioner/pulley
-automatic tranny fluid
-check for any leaks

Coils are 100k miles.

Tensioner pulley, Water pump and thermostat? Nah. Even Mike Miller doesn't recommend replacing perfectly functioning parts for the sake of it.
You don't think waiting on the water pump to die is a bad idea- for the sake of getting stranded?

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 11:58 AM   #16
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:

Any ideas?

-water pump/thermostat
-tensioner/pulley
-automatic tranny fluid
-check for any leaks

Coils are 100k miles.

You don't think waiting on the water pump to die is a bad idea- for the sake of getting stranded?
It doesn't suddenly die. It's more of a slow death.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 05:34 PM   #17
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would swap it out, personally. Slow death or no, I’d rather not risk overheating an all aluminum engine.

Last edited by IraHayes; 06-24-2019 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 07:12 PM   #18
murphius1118
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Loosening the top bolt was the hardest part. Difficult to get to....had to use two extensions and a universal joint in order to remove and replace. Besides that fairly simple being that its an electric water pump so no belts to worry about.

BMW recommends all new hardware when replacing the thermostat and water pump. Hardware is the E-socket torx type so you'll need to purchase sockets if you don't have already. I'll post the part numbers for hardware when I get a chance. Also you'll need to refill and bleed coolant system. I used the tried and true Bentley manual for reference.
Thermostat hardware Bmw #07129905003...requires 2

Water pump hardware BMW #11517602125...requires 3

This is for 328 2.0 N20/26 motor....not sure about 335 which the OP drives
Appreciate 0