F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > M sport bumper question
Extreme Powerhouse

06-06-2020, 05:00 AM   #1
Zabiz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

M sport bumper question

Hello, I just got an m sport bumper from e bay and ikon Motorsports, the bumper says it comes preprimed with a solvent based primer but I also saw on this forum that someone used that primer and paint flaked off

So is there any way to test the primer ?
Or can I remove it and just have the body shop apply fresh primer when they paint it ?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 04:07 PM   #2
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Best course of action is to strip that primer and have the shop do it right. Why waste time figuring out how to test the primer from China. Properly prep it and you'll be good.
      06-07-2020, 03:12 AM   #3
Zabiz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
Best course of action is to strip that primer and have the shop do it right. Why waste time figuring out how to test the primer from China. Properly prep it and you'll be good.
you're right, I am going to just do that
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 04:02 PM   #4
chinniciF32
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: f32 n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabiz View Post
Hello, I just got an m sport bumper from e bay and ikon Motorsports, the bumper says it comes preprimed with a solvent based primer but I also saw on this forum that someone used that primer and paint flaked off

Or can I remove it and just have the body shop apply fresh primer when they paint it ?
Let us know how it goes OP, post some pics as I am also looking at the msport bumper from Ikon for my f32 (i know shop prices vary but i'm going in for my estimate tomorrow.)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 04:09 PM   #5
Zabiz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinniciF32 View Post
Quote:

Let us know how it goes OP, post some pics as I am also looking at the msport bumper from Ikon for my f32 (i know shop prices vary but i'm going in for my estimate tomorrow.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinniciF32 View Post
Quote:

Hey man, I ended up just taking it to a body shop, (preferably a insurance shop) as they tend to be more reputable and have more experience. I was quoted 450 for paint and install and removal of the old bumper which for glacier silver metallic I'd say is a average to high price. I made sure to mention the primer to them and my appointment is next Friday. Fitment and customer service from ikon is absolutely amazing tho, I had a headlight washer issue and they sent me a replacement
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 03:31 AM   #6
f30nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i 6MT/ E36 M3 5MT

Garage List
Quote:

A good body shop will prep the bumper before hand and not trust the primer it came with.

Alpine White 12' F30 328i 6MT (SOLD)
Injen CAI | Bootmod3 Stage 1 | VRSF 5' Intercooler| Mishimoto Catch Can | 335i M Performance Exhaust | H&R Super Sports | HRE FF01 w/Hankook Ventus Evo2 | M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0