F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 440i Test Drive Experiences
GetBMWParts

08-15-2019, 08:39 AM   #1
MarkH13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP, SMB

440i Test Drive Experiences

I've just bought a beautiful 18-month old 440i, and thought it might be interesting to share my experiences test driving its rivals.

I was looking for a fast comfortable, good looking car, but as I do a mix of back roads and longer motorway trips, I wanted something that could put a smile on my face, but also be quiet and comfortable the rest of the time.

My shortlist was: M240i, Giulia Veloce, 435d xDrive, C43, S3, S4, and Jag XE-S (V6).

I've test driven (nearly) all of them now, and it was very interesting... First up was the M240i - what a car! Grips the road beautifully, goes incredibly well, and makes the most amazing noise, creamy and smooth at lower revs, and a glorious howl when you go past 4k revs. But not the car for me as it was just a little too extreme, and even when cruising, it just felt like it wanted to go fast.

Next up the Giulia - great car to drive, and brilliant on twisty back roads, but a little down on power, and felt a bit ordinary when pootling down the motorway.

My previous car was a 330d, which I really liked, and went very well, so I was pretty confident the 435d xDrive could be the car for me. I found a local one in Mineral Grey, with carbon fibre body kit, absolutely stunning looking car. I took it for a long test drive, and was a little underwhelmed... The car felt very heavy - the steering, the way it sat on the road, and although it was undeniably quick, the sound it made was verging on unpleasant, especially compared to the M240i.

But it was luxurious, and beautiful to look at, so when I got out, and forgot about the noise, I signed up to buy it. On the way home though I felt sick, and spent the whole evening feeling depressed and questioning what I'd done... I realised I'd made a big mistake, so in the morning I told the dealer it wasn't the car for me - I just couldn't have lived with the noise and feel of that engine, no matter how fast and frugal it was.

On to the Jag - I had high hopes for this, it's a bit different to the others, and all the road test reviews are very positive. But again I was a little disappointed - the interior didn't feel that special, and although it goes really well, the engine is a bit characterless, and only comes alive from about 3.5k revs.

Then off to the Audi dealer to test drive an S4 and an S3. The S4 was beautiful inside and out, and built to a really high standard. It drove really well, and was comfortable and fast, but there was very little sense of excitement or joy, the car felt reserved, aloof, almost like it was driving itself and you were the passenger. But still, a really lovely car.

Jumping straight into the S3 was quite a surprise - it felt much less well built, almost like it was 2 classes below the S4. And the driving experience was completely different - much more direct and go-cart like, with instant throttle response. A really good car, but a little raw for what I needed, and not as good as the M240i IMHO. (But AWD might have made it easier to live with.)

Finally off to test drive the 440i - Melbourne Red, which wasn't my preferred colour, but it did look good, and had plenty of options, as well as only 6.5k miles on the clock. The car felt amazing: very comfortable, much lighter to drive than the 435d, and so quick! In Sport mode the acceleration was breathtaking, and the engine noise was intoxicating. There was a surprising amount of exhaust noise in Sport mode, but this went away switching to Comfort mode.

It was only when I got back to the dealer that the salesman told me the car had the MPPSK upgrade, which then made complete sense, and sealed the deal for me... I'll be picking it up in a couple of weeks, and can't wait!
Appreciate 7
isleaiw18759.00
F20MAW73876.50
rich100874.50
Quantox308.50
scotgc244.00
      08-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #2
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

Good write up.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 11:06 AM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Congratulations! You will enjoy MPPSK immensely.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #4
MarkH13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Thank you - I was smiling to myself for the rest of the day after the test drive, so I think you're right! Seems like it turns the 440i into an M4 lite
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Thank you - I was smiling to myself for the rest of the day after the test drive, so I think you're right! Seems like it turns the 440i into an M4 lite
While the purists may categorically disavow M4 Lite reference, I see your point. Again - just enjoy the car and take the longer route to the grocery store.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 12:10 PM   #6
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: Looking

MPPSK.....I wish I hated my neighbours.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #7
MarkH13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoShambolt View Post
MPPSK.....I wish I hated my neighbours.
Ha ha... Mine are old, so hopefully hard of hearing!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 12:40 PM   #8
skipraider
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 BMW 335i

Very nice. I think Melbourne red is one of the best colours with a few carbon bits - splitter, diffuser, side extensions. The red is slightly less common too.

Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #9
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Cool car
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 01:23 PM   #10
Quantox
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440iGC, CQ, Ivory White, MPPSK

Melbourne Red is nice, not my favourite colour but combined with a 440i MPPSK it has to be a wonderful car.

Enjoy.

Q
      08-15-2019, 01:34 PM   #11
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
My previous car (F30 328i) was Melbourne Red and I absolutely love the colour - very underrated. Current car with the MPPSK is both refined and relaxing when it wants to be and an absolute hoot when it doesn't Am sure you will enjoy many happy miles in it.

By the way, when doing early morning cold starts with the MPPSK you don't have to be anti-social. As I learned in a previous thread on here there's a trick to muting the MPPSK when you start up. Press very lightly on the throttle and hold the engine at 900rpm (it typically idles at 700rpm when cold) and you'll mute the exhaust note. Do this until about 5s after the little rear passenger seat belt alert symbol goes off. Happy neighbours!

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 01:52 PM   #12
MarkH13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipraider View Post
Very nice. I think Melbourne red is one of the best colours with a few carbon bits - splitter, diffuser, side extensions. The red is slightly less common too.

Enjoy.
Thank you - yes, you don't see many that colour, and in the end that persuaded me not to hang on for the Mineral Grey or Estoril Blue colour I'd originally wanted
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 01:54 PM   #13
MarkH13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
My previous car (F30 328i) was Melbourne Red and I absolutely love the colour - very underrated. Current car with the MPPSK is both refined and relaxing when it wants to be and an absolute hoot when it doesn't Am sure you will enjoy many happy miles in it.

By the way, when doing early morning cold starts with the MPPSK you don't have to be anti-social. As I learned in a previous thread on here there's a trick to muting the MPPSK when you start up. Press very lightly on the throttle and hold the engine at 900rpm (it typically idles at 700rpm when cold) and you'll mute the exhaust note. Do this until about 5s after the little rear passenger seat belt alert symbol goes off. Happy neighbours!
Thanks very much Rob, that's a really useful tip - my neighbours will thank you!

And I completely agree, it was the dual nature of the car I loved, quiet and relaxing, but an animal once woken!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 01:57 PM   #14
MarkH13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyalfa View Post
Cool car
Thank you

I also came from a 2014 330d, which I really enjoyed - how would you compare the two cars?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 01:59 PM   #15
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Great choice and colour. I'd have gone for Melbourne Red if it was available on the GC.

Enjoy, it's a great car.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 04:05 PM   #16
MarkH13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Great choice and colour. I'd have gone for Melbourne Red if it was available on the GC.

Enjoy, it's a great car.
Thank you, really looking forward to it!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 04:59 PM   #17
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Quote:
Quote:
Cool car
Thank you

I also came from a 2014 330d, which I really enjoyed - how would you compare the two cars?
The 30d was a great car, such low down torque and plenty powerful, but the 40i is a different beast entirely. Smooth, real snarl in a high revving enjoyable package. Great noise.
Personal I found the 4 gc to feel more planted somehow. The rear hatch is so much more useful too. But overall, I just like the look of it better?
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 03:03 AM   #18
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Great write up

Car sounds fantastic, there's something special about a red car and the 40i MPPSK will be brilliant to own. I loved every journey in my old 440i GC (non-MPPSK) and never tired of the engine.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 03:16 AM   #19
scotgc
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 440i

Quote:
I've just bought a beautiful 18-month old 440i, and thought it might be interesting to share my experiences test driving its rivals.

I was looking for a fast comfortable, good looking car, but as I do a mix of back roads and longer motorway trips, I wanted something that could put a smile on my face, but also be quiet and comfortable the rest of the time.

My shortlist was: M240i, Giulia Veloce, 435d xDrive, C43, S3, S4, and Jag XE-S (V6).

I've test driven (nearly) all of them now, and it was very interesting... First up was the M240i - what a car! Grips the road beautifully, goes incredibly well, and makes the most amazing noise, creamy and smooth at lower revs, and a glorious howl when you go past 4k revs. But not the car for me as it was just a little too extreme, and even when cruising, it just felt like it wanted to go fast.

Next up the Giulia - great car to drive, and brilliant on twisty back roads, but a little down on power, and felt a bit ordinary when pootling down the motorway.

My previous car was a 330d, which I really liked, and went very well, so I was pretty confident the 435d xDrive could be the car for me. I found a local one in Mineral Grey, with carbon fibre body kit, absolutely stunning looking car. I took it for a long test drive, and was a little underwhelmed... The car felt very heavy - the steering, the way it sat on the road, and although it was undeniably quick, the sound it made was verging on unpleasant, especially compared to the M240i.

But it was luxurious, and beautiful to look at, so when I got out, and forgot about the noise, I signed up to buy it. On the way home though I felt sick, and spent the whole evening feeling depressed and questioning what I'd done... I realised I'd made a big mistake, so in the morning I told the dealer it wasn't the car for me - I just couldn't have lived with the noise and feel of that engine, no matter how fast and frugal it was.

On to the Jag - I had high hopes for this, it's a bit different to the others, and all the road test reviews are very positive. But again I was a little disappointed - the interior didn't feel that special, and although it goes really well, the engine is a bit characterless, and only comes alive from about 3.5k revs.

Then off to the Audi dealer to test drive an S4 and an S3. The S4 was beautiful inside and out, and built to a really high standard. It drove really well, and was comfortable and fast, but there was very little sense of excitement or joy, the car felt reserved, aloof, almost like it was driving itself and you were the passenger. But still, a really lovely car.

Jumping straight into the S3 was quite a surprise - it felt much less well built, almost like it was 2 classes below the S4. And the driving experience was completely different - much more direct and go-cart like, with instant throttle response. A really good car, but a little raw for what I needed, and not as good as the M240i IMHO. (But AWD might have made it easier to live with.)

Finally off to test drive the 440i - Melbourne Red, which wasn't my preferred colour, but it did look good, and had plenty of options, as well as only 6.5k miles on the clock. The car felt amazing: very comfortable, much lighter to drive than the 435d, and so quick! In Sport mode the acceleration was breathtaking, and the engine noise was intoxicating. There was a surprising amount of exhaust noise in Sport mode, but this went away switching to Comfort mode.

It was only when I got back to the dealer that the salesman told me the car had the MPPSK upgrade, which then made complete sense, and sealed the deal for me... I'll be picking it up in a couple of weeks, and can't wait!
Good write up, surprised by your comments re the S3 VS 440i.

The wife has an S3 sportback and I have a 440i, I love getting into the S3 it has much more of a sense of occasion, it's louder, feels quicker (Certainly is in this crappy weather), has a much sportier feeling and imo has a more modern cabin than the 4 series, nappa leather is much nicer than rhino Hyde & virtual cockpit is awesome!

Don't get me wrong the 440i is a great cruiser that does thrill when you want.

I had a 335d before the 440i, effortless / quick, mile muncher but got bored of it....

Just my two pence..

Edit.... just read your car has MPPSK - that will be the difference !
Attached Images

Current - L494 Range Rover Sport
Previous - F32 440i Tanzanite Blue - F30 335d X drive Black Sapphire
- E92 330d LCI M Sport Alpine White - E92 325d M Sport - E87 120d M Sport - Mk5 Golf GTI - Ep3 Civic Type R
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 03:17 AM   #20
MarkH13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMB View Post
Great write up

Car sounds fantastic, there's something special about a red car and the 40i MPPSK will be brilliant to own. I loved every journey in my old 440i GC (non-MPPSK) and never tired of the engine.
Thanks Rich, yes it's a fantastic engine!
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2019, 03:20 AM   #21
MarkH13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The 30d was a great car, such low down torque and plenty powerful, but the 40i is a different beast entirely. Smooth, real snarl in a high revving enjoyable package. Great noise.
Personal I found the 4 gc to feel more planted somehow. The rear hatch is so much more useful too. But overall, I just like the look of it better?
Thanks for this - re the difference between 30d and 40i that's been my limited experience so far. And very interesting about the GC - I didn't see any in my price range, but would have definitely considered it
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 03:26 AM   #22
MarkH13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotgc View Post
Good write up, surprised by your comments re the S3 VS 440i.

The wife has an S3 sportback and I have a 440i, I love getting into the S3 it has much more of a sense of occasion, it's louder, feels quicker (Certainly is in this crappy weather), has a much sportier feeling and imo has a more modern cabin than the 4 series, nappa leather is much nicer than rhino Hyde & virtual cockpit is awesome!

Don't get me wrong the 440i is a great cruiser that does thrill when you want.

I had a 335d before the 440i, effortless / quick, mile muncher but got bored of it....

Just my two pence..
Very interesting about the S3 - I'd definitely agree that it's louder and (a bit) quicker, and would be huge fun to throw down a country road, I just felt that the 440i was a bit more relaxing when you're taking it easy - and the sound of that engine (with the MPPSK) is totally addictive!

Anyway, both your cars look amazing, and you're in a brilliant position to be able to drive both

Last edited by MarkH13; 08-16-2019 at 03:29 AM.. Reason: Adding material
Appreciate 0