F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Run-flat or non-run-flat tires?
ARMA SPEED

06-02-2020, 12:09 PM   #23
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsXman View Post
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum as I'm new to the page and new to owning a BMW with run flats. So I just wanted to ask a general question and get some opinions/feelings on it.

Do most members of the page that own BMW's with run flat tires feel they are the better option over non run flats? I'm in the process of tracking down a jack kit for my car because it didn't come with one because it came with run flats. I've priced out tires and honestly the run flat tires aren't really that much more than non run flats. Also when it comes to tires I'm not concerned about the money, it's not where I look to save money. I'm of the thinking you buy cheap tires, you get cheap tires.

But in talking to the dealership about a jack I figured I'd ask his input on the run flat tires. I know they're made to go 50 miles but I was under the impression they could be repaired. I understand like any tire a tear or slice in the sidewall and they're trash. But I'm being told they shouldn't be repaired no matter what the damage. So for arguments sake I said so if my tires have a lot of tread left or are new you're saying it should still be replaced? He said yes. To which I said well if I replace just one tire then that one new tire is going to make all the tires wear uneven.

Basically he told me BMW went with run flats to lighten the weight on the car and improve performance. Said it wasn't to be cost effective.

So what's some opinions on this subject?
Skimmed through this thread and i think most things were covered but let me throw a few things out there:

1. Bolded statement above is 100% false. RFT are heavier than non RFT generally speaking, and perform worse.

2. You can repair RFTs. I had a patch/plug put in my OEM bridgestone S001 RFT on a rear tire. Drove it for 10k more miles without a single issue even though the plug was VERY close to the sidewall; this included 150+ mph pulls and donuts. Patched a front tire for about 2k miles and then decided i was done with RFTs and got non-runflat PS4S. Obviously performance, ride, etc, all dramatically improved.

3. RFT are much more susceptible to getting sidewall damage and bubbles. I hit ONE pothole, not even that bag, sidewall bubbled and the inside of the tire split. I drove the car for 5k more miles like that but would not necessarily recommend doing so. Only option at that point is to replace the tire.

My recommendation - ditch runflats, get AAA incase you get a flat. If you are taking a long road trips, BMW seems a OEM space saver spare.

Sidewall bubble -
View post on imgur.com

inside of the tire with the bubble -
View post on imgur.com
First off thanks for the response and all the info. Part of me thought, unless severe damage just like a non run flat, the tire can be repaired. I've read online and I've looked through the forums and a lot of people say the run flats are not lighter and say they can be repaired.

I may just get AAA but I think I'm buying tire repair/patch kit as well. I think I'll be making the switch to non run flat tires as well, when the time comes.

Also do you have a link or info for the space saver spare that BMW sells?
      06-02-2020, 12:40 PM   #24
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
First off thanks for the response and all the info. Part of me thought, unless severe damage just like a non run flat, the tire can be repaired. I've read online and I've looked through the forums and a lot of people say the run flats are not lighter and say they can be repaired.

I may just get AAA but I think I'm buying tire repair/patch kit as well. I think I'll be making the switch to non run flat tires as well, when the time comes.

I dont have a link sorry. There were two posts about it, someone even gave a part number, but it was buried in one of these threads (in this section) about 2-3 months ago maybe... Its probably going to take some searching to find it. It might even be faster to just call your BMW dealer or do a google search. IIRC they mentioned it was supposed to clear Msport brakes, cant remember if it was a 18'' or maybe a 17 with clearance. It wasnt expensive from what i remember, <$200 i think.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2020, 01:07 PM   #25
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I dont have a link sorry. There were two posts about it, someone even gave a part number, but it was buried in one of these threads (in this section) about 2-3 months ago maybe... Its probably going to take some searching to find it. It might even be faster to just call your BMW dealer or do a google search. IIRC they mentioned it was supposed to clear Msport brakes, cant remember if it was a 18'' or maybe a 17 with clearance. It wasnt expensive from what i remember, <$200 i think.
Thanks. I'll search for it on here or online. I have 19" on my car.
      06-02-2020, 01:48 PM   #26
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Thanks. I'll search for it on here or online. I have 19" on my car.
Remember you will also need a jack and a tire iron. Run flats are really a cost savings for BMW.

M cars come with an electric pump and tire sealant. It works well for punctures but not tire cuts.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2020, 02:33 PM   #27
J555
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI 340iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHunk View Post
Regular tires are :
1. Much better ride comfort.
2. They wear even compared to RFT(cupping)
3. Ride is much more quiet.
4. They do not crack the rims on potholes easily.
Appreciate 2
      06-02-2020, 02:39 PM   #28
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Found the space saver spare on Bimmerzone. Added the jack kit for $179 (cheaper than I've been finding online) and the tote for $12.00. Gonna order it. All together $525.00 but not horrible for piece of mind making the switch from run flats.
      06-02-2020, 03:37 PM   #29
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Found the space saver spare on Bimmerzone. Added the jack kit for $179 (cheaper than I've been finding online) and the tote for $12.00. Gonna order it. All together $525.00 but not horrible for piece of mind making the switch from run flats.
Nice, maybe post up links and/or part #s here so people have for reference?
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2020, 09:20 PM   #30
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:

Basically he told me BMW went with run flats to lighten the weight on the car and improve performance. Said it wasn't to be cost effective.

Quote:
Skimmed through this thread and i think most things were covered but let me throw a few things out there:

1. Bolded statement above is 100% false. RFT are heavier than non RFT generally speaking, and perform worse.

2. You can repair RFTs. I had a patch/plug put in my OEM bridgestone S001 RFT on a rear tire. Drove it for 10k more miles without a single issue even though the plug was VERY close to the sidewall; this included 150+ mph pulls and donuts. Patched a front tire for about 2k miles and then decided i was done with RFTs and got non-runflat PS4S. Obviously performance, ride, etc, all dramatically improved.
Agree that RFT's can be repaired as long as there's no damage to the sidewall.

On the bolded part, it's not 100% false! The key word in that bolded statement is "the car" (i.e., not the tire). While runflats are heavier than it's non-RFT counterpart, overall car weight is reduced because no need for spare tire (with rim), car-jack and other tools needed to change a tire.

That said, the weight savings is relatively small and the main reason manufacturers may go with RFT's is cost savings.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2020, 10:10 PM   #31
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Agree that RFT's can be repaired as long as there's no damage to the sidewall.

On the bolded part, it's not 100% false! The key word in that bolded statement is "the car" (i.e., not the tire). While runflats are heavier than it's non-RFT counterpart, overall car weight is reduced because no need for spare tire (with rim), car-jack and other tools needed to change a tire.

That said, the weight savings is relatively small and the main reason manufacturers may go with RFT's is cost savings.
I mean, i guess you are right, but that assumes you carry a spare... M cars and 99% of people in F3x who switch to non RFT probably do not carry a spare, or only carry in unique situations.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 11:37 PM   #32
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum as I'm new to the page and new to owning a BMW with run flats. So I just wanted to ask a general question and get some opinions/feelings on it.

Do most members of the page that own BMW's with run flat tires feel they are the better option over non run flats? I'm in the process of tracking down a jack kit for my car because it didn't come with one because it came with run flats. I've priced out tires and honestly the run flat tires aren't really that much more than non run flats. Also when it comes to tires I'm not concerned about the money, it's not where I look to save money. I'm of the thinking you buy cheap tires, you get cheap tires.

But in talking to the dealership about a jack I figured I'd ask his input on the run flat tires. I know they're made to go 50 miles but I was under the impression they could be repaired. I understand like any tire a tear or slice in the sidewall and they're trash. But I'm being told they shouldn't be repaired no matter what the damage. So for arguments sake I said so if my tires have a lot of tread left or are new you're saying it should still be replaced? He said yes. To which I said well if I replace just one tire then that one new tire is going to make all the tires wear uneven.

You already got lots of input and seem to be leaning towards goflats, which is what I'd recommend.

You mentioned that you are in upstate NY, have an xDrive, 19" wheels and are planning to get all season tires.

Is this a daily driver that you use in winter? Wouldn't you be planning on snow tires where you live? If you plan on snow tires then that means that you can get a fun set of summer tires for the rest of the year.

What year/model do you have that you have a square set of 19" wheels?

You don't need to spend money on expensive BMW flat solutions. The 8-min Slime compressor kit is perfect. Slime wipes right out and doesn't ruin TPMS sensors. Also attached is a photo of a jack that works perfectly. I also keep a breaker bar with 17mm impact socket in the car.

I carry a full sized spare on trips in a tire bag so I can cleanly put it in the back seat of necessary. A donut spare only provides limited miles which means a disrupted trip trying to get a new tire or get a tire repaired.

A donut takes up the same trunk floor space. You just save 3"-4" on top of it versus a full sized spare.

I bought a matching used stock wheel online for $100 and an old runflat can even be used as a spare if it has the same diameter- or buy a 5th tire with a new set.

Don't forget that buying new tires is an opportunity to also upgrade your tire size. My stock runflat tires were 225/45-18. I upgraded them to the best handling 18" size, 245/40-18. If I wanted more emphasis on comfort I could have chosen 245/45-18. They are corresponding improvements to be had in 19" sizes. I believe that I was considering 255/35-19 at one point as the best handling 19" option.

My summer tires are Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Just phenomenal. So glad that I went for the best! For winter I got Michelin X-ICE Xi3. Just amazing driving on ice like it is dry. If I lived in a heavy snow area I may have considered Blizzak WS90's. They are noisier but supposed to be the best in heavy snow.

If I was going all season I'd probably look at Michelin PS A/S 3+. It just happens that when I did separate research in all three categories Michelin was at or near the top.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-03-2020, 08:20 AM   #33
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:

You already got lots of input and seem to be leaning towards goflats, which is what I'd recommend.

You mentioned that you are in upstate NY, have an xDrive, 19" wheels and are planning to get all season tires.

Is this a daily driver that you use in winter? Wouldn't you be planning on snow tires where you live? If you plan on snow tires then that means that you can get a fun set of summer tires for the rest of the year.

You don't need to spend money on expensive BMW flat solutions. The 8-min Slime compressor kit is perfect. Slime wipes right out and doesn't ruin TPMS sensors. Also attached is a photo of a jack that works perfectly. I also keep a breaker bar with 17mm impact socket in the car.

I carry a full sized spare on trips in a tire bag so I can cleanly put it in the back seat of necessary. A donut spare only provides limited miles which means a disrupted trip trying to get a new tire or get a tire repaired.

A donut takes up the same trunk floor space. You just save 3"-4" on top of it versus a full sized spare.

I bought a matching used stock wheel online for $100 and an old runflat can even be used as a spare if it has the same diameter- or buy a 5th tire with a new set.

Don't forget that buying new tires is an opportunity to also upgrade your tire size. My stock runflat tires were 225/45-18. I upgraded them to the best handling 18" size, 245/40-18. If I wanted more emphasis on comfort I could have chosen 245/45-18. They are corresponding improvements to be had in 19" sizes. I believe that I was considering 255/35-19 at one point as the best handling 19" option.

My summer tires are Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Just phenomenal. So glad that I went for the best! For winter I got Michelin X-ICE Xi3. Just amazing driving on ice like it is dry. If I lived in a heavy snow area I may have considered Blizzak WS90's. They are noisier but supposed to be the best in heavy snow.

If I was going all season I'd probably look at Michelin PS A/S 3+. It just happens that when I did separate research in all three categories Michelin was at or near the top.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for all the input and all the info. Yes the more I think about it and the more feedback I get I think I'm leaning towards non run flats. I found a space saver spare on Bimmerzone that comes with a jack kit and the tote for the tire. But now the link you sent me the jack is cheaper lol.

What significant handling differences would it offer me to go from 225/40 R19 that I have now? I have looked at those Michelin tires you mentioned. I do like the Goodyear Eagle Exhilarates also.

With the 428i Gran Coupe I have a good amount of room in the back for the spare. I already have a generator/compressor and a four way lug wrench I've always had.
      06-03-2020, 10:32 AM   #34
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps!
Thanks for all the input and all the info. Yes the more I think about it and the more feedback I get I think I'm leaning towards non run flats. I found a space saver spare on Bimmerzone that comes with a jack kit and the tote for the tire. But now the link you sent me the jack is cheaper lol.

What significant handling differences would it offer me to go from 225/40 R19 that I have now? I have looked at those Michelin tires you mentioned. I do like the Goodyear Eagle Exhilarates also.

With the 428i Gran Coupe I have a good amount of room in the back for the spare. I already have a generator/compressor and a four way lug wrench I've always had.
Wider tires offer so much more stability in curves. It's night and day. The combination of the tire size and the Michelin PS4S soak up rough roads so much better than runflats. It's very noticeable. Takes a lot of harshness out of the stock suspension
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2020, 03:31 PM   #35
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:

If you are talking about going from 225/40/19 to 245/35/19 on OEM 19'' wheels up front, do it. Keep 255/35/19 rear.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...=max+tire+size
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2020, 05:47 PM   #36
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

If you are talking about going from 225/40/19 to 245/35/19 on OEM 19'' wheels up front, do it. Keep 255/35/19 rear.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...=max+tire+size
FYI- his car is xDrive so he can't do that combo of 245 front and 255 rear without going over the allowed 1% tire diameter difference. It would risk his expensive transfer case.

There are 19" staggered options. My preference is a square setup with xDrive. No transfer case worries and can easily rotate tires front to back. I'd do a square 255/35-19 with Michelin PS4S tires.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2020, 07:29 PM   #37
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Are we sure this jack will work with my F36 4 series? Because this Jack is only $23.99, much cheaper than the at least $175.00 I'm finding online. Plus there's a Harbor Freight right near my house.
Attached Images

06-03-2020, 08:30 PM   #38
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Are we sure this jack will work with my F36 4 series? Because this Jack is only $23.99, much cheaper than the at least $175.00 I'm finding online. Plus there's a Harbor Freight right near my house.
It's a perfect sized jack to fit in the trunk. The top of the jack fits right into the BMW plastic jack point which adds stability. Maybe this has changed since I bought mine, the center screw threads weren't greased enough so I bought a tube of grease at an auto parts store. I greased up the threads as all of my other car scissor jacks have been greased.

It's a great jack and works perfectly for its intended purpose.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2020, 08:46 PM   #39
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
It's a perfect sized jack to fit in the trunk. The top of the jack fits right into the BMW plastic jack point which adds stability. Maybe this has changed since I bought mine, the center screw threads weren't greased enough so I bought a tube of grease at an auto parts store. I greased up the threads as all of my other car scissor jacks have been greased.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm gonna go buy one tomorrow and get the tire repair kit.
      06-03-2020, 09:54 PM   #40
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the quick response. I'm gonna go buy one tomorrow and get the tire repair kit.
I did a lot of research and found this Slime "8-minute" compressor kit that is perfect for this application. Check this out if you don't already have one. I even use it to quickly adjust my tire air pressures.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-04-2020, 12:00 AM   #41
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I did a lot of research and found this Slime "8-minute" compressor kit that is perfect for this application. Check this out if you don't already have one. I even use it to quickly adjust my tire air pressures.
I already have a compressor/power station/emergency light/jumper cable kit in my car, so I just need the repair part. I was looking at just getting this to go with it and the jack.
Attached Images

06-10-2020, 06:52 PM   #42
SquareWheels
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M550

Garage List
2023 M550i  [10.00]
I'll admit, I don't like the harsh ride I get, but I like the piece of mind. These are my first run flats, and also the first car I've had without a spare.
I got a flat a few years ago, darn spare was flat too (got that fixed). It was raining, and the middle of the night. Called AAA and asked if I could get help and open a new account with them. They said sure, glad to have a new customer, it will be at least 4 hours before we can get to you.
Got lucky and a cop came and called a tow truck. They filled the spare and off I went.

I have a 440 convertible, and I use my trunk. I can't iamagine storing anything else in there, a spare is out of the question.

The run flats aren't ideal, but they are serving their purpose for me.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2020, 09:57 PM   #43
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareWheels View Post
I'll admit, I don't like the harsh ride I get, but I like the piece of mind. These are my first run flats, and also the first car I've had without a spare.
I got a flat a few years ago, darn spare was flat too (got that fixed). It was raining, and the middle of the night. Called AAA and asked if I could get help and open a new account with them. They said sure, glad to have a new customer, it will be at least 4 hours before we can get to you.
Got lucky and a cop came and called a tow truck. They filled the spare and off I went.

I have a 440 convertible, and I use my trunk. I can't iamagine storing anything else in there, a spare is out of the question.

The run flats aren't ideal, but they are serving their purpose for me.
Yeah the run flats give you piece of mind and they do have some positives besides that. The general consensus I'm getting from everyone seems to support the opinion that non run flats offer a smoother ride with less chance of a flat.

So I bought a jack, tire repair kit and renewed my BMW ConnectedDrive membership. So I have the piece of mind of having that available if needed. I'm going to buy the spare as I have a little more storage space in the back of the 428i Gran Coupe.
      06-22-2020, 12:25 PM   #44
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White BMW440i Hardtop Converti

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSquared+ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoop901 View Post
I bought my M240i 2 maybe 3 weeks ago. I bought it in another city, about a 250-mile drive. On the way home I found myself wondering why the tires were so loud. After driving around for a bit I wondered, why does it ride so rough in comfort mode? In my life, I have owned everything from Mustang GT's to corvettes to Jeep Wranglers and many 4x4 pickups. To sum up the way this BMW drives, imagine if you will, The Flintstone's humming along on 4 rocks that are not entirely smooth. Then I discovered the dealership had placed Bridgestone S001 RFT's on the car. They are louder than the Nitto and Toyo AT tires on my Jeep and F150 FX4 while being less compliant than 305/55/20's. I will NEVER own an RFT tire again. They are shockingly bad.
Since you just picked the car up, first thing I'd do is check the tire pressure. Dealers are notorious for over-inflating tires, making the car feel really stiff and harsh; don't know why they do this. Second, before you write off RFT, run them in for about 1000 miles. My experience is that they will quiet down a lot after that. Given a choice, I'd always opt for RFT, if only for the safety and convenience of being able to limp home IF I experience a flat. Had it happen once while in a different city and easily got to a dealer for a quick repair.
How far did you have to go to a dealer on this 'flat' run-flat? I have heard that if you 'limp' somewhere that is 30-50 miles, the run-flat tire is no longer useful and, depending upon condition of other tires, you might have to purchase at least two new run-flat tires. Is this true, and if so, in my opinion, that is a BIG negative fortune-flat tires.
Appreciate 0