F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > New CTS Intake...anyone have it yet?
GetBMWParts

04-11-2018, 06:09 PM   #199
Duperstar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH32013 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duperstar View Post
Quote:
Has anyone installed it on an Activehybrid 3? It's an N55 as well curious to see if there's any complications if installed.
I have it on mine, no issues at all. No cels.
How long have you had it on? Deciding between the bms and this one. Have heard nothing but good things about this one
4 months so far, no issues. It is way louder than the BMS DCI intakes in my old n54. Lots
More turbo whooshing and bov sounds. I think I may be getting old though....
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      04-11-2018, 06:43 PM   #200
AH32013
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acivehybrid 3 Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by paimon.soror View Post
hrmm very interesting. I actually hadn't heard that about CTS
Injen intake? Thoughts on those and reliability?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 10:19 AM   #201
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Injen intake? Thoughts on those and reliability?
Not good my buddy R32DBP had it for a while and kept getting random issues / cold starts etc Switched to CTS Turbo now over a year 0 issues . Know a few other guys who switched from BMS and Injen to CTS as well.

My friend with M2 DragonGate informed me that CTS Turbo N55 Intakes are back ordered right now he knows them personally and has a pending order with them.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 2
bm3nyc56.00
Seba77W401.00
      04-12-2018, 12:01 PM   #202
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
I have ZERO complaints with my CTS CAI, its been fantastic to be clear and looks absolutely unique in design.
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 2
FSociety3812.50
bm3nyc56.00
      04-12-2018, 12:05 PM   #203
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
I have ZERO complaints with my CTS CAI, its been fantastic to be clear and looks absolutely unique in design.
I can assure you they took their time, I remember so many friends of mine having issues with their CAI and spoke to a few friends who have CTS Turbo parts in their Audi/VW short-time later I saw some BLOG and post CTS had worked with their development car and released that intake you're enjoying with no Maf issues

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 4
bm3nyc56.00
Seba77W401.00
      04-12-2018, 05:21 PM   #204
VT-man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkill1125 View Post
I had the AFE Momentum Pro5R for a while and it didn't give me any CEL. I did noticed some occasional idling issues on cold starts. As if the engine is grasping for air while the engine is warming up. There are no issues once you start moving and the sound is good but muffled since it was a closed intake.

The CTS intake doesn't do any of that, it behaves like stock, no CEL and the power increase is very little or maybe my butt dyno is not sensitive enough. On the other hand, the sound it emits is intoxicating.

Here is what CTS reply when I ask them how to clean the filter.

"When you want to clean the filter we suggest to fill up a 5 gallon bucket with warm soapy water, then submerge the air filter and dunk it in and out of the warm soapy water until the filter is clean to your standards. Do not scrub the filter or you may damage the filter. You can gently brush it with your hand to coax the dirt and dust out. Once it is clean to your standards let the filter dry for approximately one day and you should be good. You should do this once a year, or twice a year if you're in a very dusty area. You can oil your CTS filter lightly once dry."

Hope this will help you choose the right intake.

Cheers!

Or we can just be the baller and buy the filter once a year?
      06-25-2018, 10:45 PM   #205
wurstrocket
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i msport

Sorry for necroing this thread. But im new here. I read a lot of stuff and reviews on here and its how I buy stuff for my car.

I just pulled the trigger on a cts intake for my 435i. And I love it. But I think something is wrong.

Low rpms sound grindy or scratchy. Its very hard to explain. But after I get over 20mph or when im assuming the turbo has spooled up the noise is gone.

it sounds great when im doing hard pulls but slow in the neighborhood 20mph drives it sounds bad. Has anyone else ran across this problem?

If need be I can grab a quick video in the morning before work and share it from google drive. I checked and nothing is rubbing. Everything is tight. I dont believe its touching the hood. But I wouldnt even know how to tell if it was.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 10:39 AM   #206
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurstrocket View Post
Sorry for necroing this thread. But im new here. I read a lot of stuff and reviews on here and its how I buy stuff for my car.

I just pulled the trigger on a cts intake for my 435i. And I love it. But I think something is wrong.

Low rpms sound grindy or scratchy. Its very hard to explain. But after I get over 20mph or when im assuming the turbo has spooled up the noise is gone.

it sounds great when im doing hard pulls but slow in the neighborhood 20mph drives it sounds bad. Has anyone else ran across this problem?

If need be I can grab a quick video in the morning before work and share it from google drive. I checked and nothing is rubbing. Everything is tight. I dont believe its touching the hood. But I wouldnt even know how to tell if it was.
So I absolutely agree something is wrong, but hard to say what. I don't have that issue for sure. I have a VERY loud whoosh when the turbo kits in but nothing before that. I would check all connections, make sure you don't have any leaks for sure, and then of course, look for any place it could be rubbing or contact.
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 01:52 PM   #207
wurstrocket
Private
United_States
Rep

Heya thanks for responding. Your videos have been pretty helpful. Its how I was able to install it. The instructions were.... fairly useless.

Ill do some digging on this. CTS told me to take it to a speed shop. But Id rather not spend the extra money on something ive had for 1 day.

I think im going to take the C shaped clamp that attaches to the filter and drop it down. It may be to close to the hood. Ill get back to yall when I get some test run. Ill grab a video too. It was still making this odd noise in the morning when I drove in to work. So it wasnt a one off kinda thing.

CTS also said there is no break in period. So ive either done something wrong. The intake is bad. Or something is broke on my car.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2018, 02:29 PM   #208
badbread
not good, but bad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Please take a video, it would help us diagnose.
      06-27-2018, 09:46 PM   #209
wurstrocket
Private
United_States
Rep

So I got a good video with decent enough sound. It sounds like reaaaaaaaaly bad road noise. But its the intake. I also am about 110% sure I found the issue. The problem is I dont believe there is a solution.

I have the msport front bumper with a ram air style intake tub coming from the lower front bumper.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mi...F2da5TN-t3IE-8

You can see the black square box under the intake. The problem is and I tested this pretty thoroughly. That the air being rammed up that path is actually causing wind noise from the wind hitting the filter.

Here is the video.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sz...X9ZmIz0H9eHAKB

Im not sure what to do here. But that noise is going to drive me crazy. As much as I like the mids and highs of this intake. The lows are terrible. I thought maybe putting in some sort of windbreak valve but wouldnt even know how to manufacture something like that.

DIYguy does your bmw have this msport bumper and im going to take a wild guess that if you do. Yours doesnt sound like this at all from your previous comments.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 02:33 AM   #210
jv004
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

wurstrocket Can you show pics of the intake, specifically how your Y support bracket is attached. I'm sure it's installed correctly, but I know if you don't wrap the clamp around the Y shape bracket the intake will move when pulling and hit around in there. I don't see how that "intake tub" be causing your noise issue. If your talking about the bump noise from that video, sounds like you have something not tight in properly and hitting something as it pulls air, just a guess though.

Last edited by jv004; 06-28-2018 at 02:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 07:52 AM   #211
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
So I got a good video with decent enough sound. It sounds like reaaaaaaaaly bad road noise. But its the intake. I also am about 110% sure I found the issue. The problem is I dont believe there is a solution.

I have the msport front bumper with a ram air style intake tub coming from the lower front bumper.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mi...F2da5TN-t3IE-8

You can see the black square box under the intake. The problem is and I tested this pretty thoroughly. That the air being rammed up that path is actually causing wind noise from the wind hitting the filter.

Here is the video.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sz...X9ZmIz0H9eHAKB

Im not sure what to do here. But that noise is going to drive me crazy. As much as I like the mids and highs of this intake. The lows are terrible. I thought maybe putting in some sort of windbreak valve but wouldnt even know how to manufacture something like that.

DIYguy does your bmw have this msport bumper and im going to take a wild guess that if you do. Yours doesnt sound like this at all from your previous comments.
This is really interesting. I have a similar noise and ive reinstalled the intake twice now and all connections are tight. i just chalked it up to the open intake is sucking in the air and because its not contained in an enclosure now i hear it more. May have to check it again.
      06-28-2018, 08:18 AM   #212
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

I have a similar noise and also have the M-Sport front bumper. I don't think it has to do with the bumper though. I attributed it to the open intake and air getting sucked through the filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
This is really interesting. I have a similar noise and ive reinstalled the intake twice now and all connections are tight. i just chalked it up to the open intake is sucking in the air and because its not contained in an enclosure now i hear it more. May have to check it again.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 11:07 AM   #213
wurstrocket
Private
United_States
Rep

@jv004 the filter has the clamp wrapped around the c shaped bracket. Ive lowered the bracket all the way down just in case it was hitting the hood. I also raised it. Nothing changed with the noise. I took it to a speed shop just now and they also agreed that its wind noise. Thats just how its gonna have to be. I put a small piece of foam in that square block and the noise went away. But that kinda defeats the purpose.

At this point I gotta figure out if this low end noise is bearable or not.

Im going to guess that unless I get a closed box system this is just how its going to sound.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 11:38 AM   #214
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Well the good news is that you are getting cool air forced into the engine bay for the intake to breath. The bad news is, well it is what it is. If you don't like the sound just go back to stock intake with drop in filter. I've heard of people drilling the bottom of the stock filter box for more sound but can't speak to that in person.

Quote:
@jv004 the filter has the clamp wrapped around the c shaped bracket. Ive lowered the bracket all the way down just in case it was hitting the hood. I also raised it. Nothing changed with the noise. I took it to a speed shop just now and they also agreed that its wind noise. Thats just how its gonna have to be. I put a small piece of foam in that square block and the noise went away. But that kinda defeats the purpose.

At this point I gotta figure out if this low end noise is bearable or not.

Im going to guess that unless I get a closed box system this is just how its going to sound.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 11:49 AM   #215
wurstrocket
Private
United_States
Rep

Ok just heard back from CTS. They said this noise im hearing in the video is completely normal. Sigh. Other questions anyone on here have an AFE intake? And do you hear the same type of noise? I guess my 3rd option would be dinan. But at that point you are just paying for a pretty carbon fiber pipe.

Final edit. I think im just gonna live with it. Im ordering a Remus exhaust system and i doubt ill even hear that noise after that gets installed.

Last edited by wurstrocket; 06-28-2018 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 01:22 PM   #216
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yeah none of the other enclosed intakes are any better than the stock intake. Also, you are correct, with loud exhaust you won't hear the intake much anymore.

Quote:
Ok just heard back from CTS. They said this noise im hearing in the video is completely normal. Sigh. Other questions anyone on here have an AFE intake? And do you hear the same type of noise? I guess my 3rd option would be dinan. But at that point you are just paying for a pretty carbon fiber pipe.

Final edit. I think im just gonna live with it. Im ordering a Remus exhaust system and i doubt ill even hear that noise after that gets installed.

SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 03:14 PM   #217
wurstrocket
Private
United_States
Rep

So I wanted to give an update on my issue that I was having. For some super odd reason that noise has stopped. And Im getting way more whoosh and whirl noises from my turbo.

Its literally turning heads everywhere I go. Im so happy that I didnt pull the trigger on returning this. And I feel like its only gonna get better with FMIC and charge pipe. BMW did try to pull some it voids your warranty stuff but I told them according to the warranty protection act you have to prove that the intake is causing the issue. Havent had them mention warranty once since then. Considering im going in for tire issues. For the 3rd time.

I just want to thank everyone that helped me out and give input. This is a great community. And one I will always go to for help.
Appreciate 2
Seba77W401.00
      08-01-2018, 08:16 PM   #218
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Xdrive Coupe

Quote:
So I wanted to give an update on my issue that I was having. For some super odd reason that noise has stopped. And Im getting way more whoosh and whirl noises from my turbo.

Its literally turning heads everywhere I go. Im so happy that I didnt pull the trigger on returning this. And I feel like its only gonna get better with FMIC and charge pipe. BMW did try to pull some it voids your warranty stuff but I told them according to the warranty protection act you have to prove that the intake is causing the issue. Havent had them mention warranty once since then. Considering im going in for tire issues. For the 3rd time.

I just want to thank everyone that helped me out and give input. This is a great community. And one I will always go to for help.
Awesome! Love my CTS intake too!
      08-13-2018, 08:32 AM   #219
shownfu
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive

Wanna order this intake - looks like $329.99 is the going rate now. Anyone aware of a coupon or something to save a few bucks?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 09:09 AM   #220
Jimi1121
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shownfu View Post
Wanna order this intake - looks like $329.99 is the going rate now. Anyone aware of a coupon or something to save a few bucks?
I picked mine up from the member section. Have had it 6+ months and no issues.
Appreciate 0