F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Things you don't expect to see in Luton...
ARMA SPEED

04-06-2018, 08:57 AM   #67
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Watching that video is very sad indeed, extreme views are never good. Could you just imagine if Christians took to the streets and spoke out in such a way.

Different rules for different people

I feel saddened when I watch that video that this happens on the streets in the UK.
Indeed. And the fact there are large groups who don't want to integrate with the main population. But are happy to take the benefits of living here.
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 09:17 AM   #68
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post
I got accused of being a racist on here a while ago, probably by the same muppets after I suggested that supercars hired for weddings and then crashed usually seems to be driven by a certain demographic.

Was proper funny watching the frothing
I wouldn't accuse you of being a racist for suggesting that because it's true. True to the point that it has almost become a stereotype.
The R8 at the bottom being testimony to that.

By the way, the LP580-2 and 458 were both rented from those "pharmacists" in Luton.
In fact the photo's in the Esso are actually in Luton taken just after collecting the cars.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=34
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 09:22 AM   #69
4fooksake
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0bbo View Post
No, you didn't.
Oh yes I did
Appreciate 1
teaston10994.50
      04-06-2018, 09:34 AM   #70
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
I wouldn't accuse you of being a racist for suggesting that because it's true. True to the point that it has almost become a stereotype.
The R8 at the bottom being testimony to that.

By the way, the LP580-2 and 458 were both rented from those "pharmacists" in Luton.
In fact the photo's in the Esso are actually in Luton taken just after collecting the cars.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=34
Thread didn’t have the legs I thought it would

It is true to an extent maybe, there was a huge topic about it on PH, nobody was called out as racist because they were merely pointing out the obvious!

Glad you’re not precious!
Appreciate 1
JLR19691882.00
      04-06-2018, 10:15 AM   #71
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Explain to me exactly how the comments are racist given my explanation of my comment.
These are my thoughts, rather than a personal attack or a generalised sweeping statement, so no offence intended......

If anything, I feel that you dug yourself into a hole with your explanation. Your first thought in response to Lobb's comment was that it was most likely owned and driven by a white person. Why?
Im ready to be proven otherwise, but would actually contend that relative to the ethnic makeup of the UK, a higher proportion of non-white people own a modern 'luxury/prestige' vehicle.

You also seem to imply that some of these places are shitholes because of the current demographics, rather than already having been 'relative' shitholes in the first place before the non-natives moved in.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #72
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Indeed. And the fact there are large groups who don't want to integrate with the main population. But are happy to take the benefits of living here.
What do you mean by 'integrate'?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 10:22 AM   #73
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 AKY View Post
Let's just say speaking English and reading / writing English and leave it at that.

That covers pretty much everyone moving here from a non English based country.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 10:35 AM   #74
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Well this thread took a turn I wasn't expecting when I posted it!
Appreciate 1
JLR19691882.00
      04-06-2018, 10:36 AM   #75
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Well this thread took a turn I wasn't expecting when I posted it!
I thought it was standard for this place
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #76
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Brigand pretty much wrote what I was going to.

There was an article on the radio only last week.An Indian BBC journal was saying how his mum never bother to learn the English language while here. Until he insisted.it then changed her life and gave her a social life outside of her small sect of Indian non English speaking friends.

it opened her eyes to UK living and she started to enjoy life and had a much larger circle of friends.

The journo was saying, there is so many like her. Who don't try the lifestyle. Eat the food adopt the culture.

Same applies to the pole in Boston lincs.
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 10:54 AM   #77
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Quote:
Brigand pretty much wrote what I was going to.

There was an article on the radio only last week.An Indian BBC journal was saying how his mum never bother to learn the English language while here. Until he insisted.it then changed her life and gave her a social life outside of her small sect of Indian non English speaking friends.

it opened her eyes to UK living and she started to enjoy life and had a much larger circle of friends.

The journo was saying, there is so many like her. Who don't try the lifestyle. Eat the food adopt the culture.

Same applies to the pole in Boston lincs.
Absolutely agree with you.

The same can be said for Brits living in Spain, Greece and so on..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 11:01 AM   #78
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:

Yeah but they all speak England there so no point in learning.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 11:07 AM   #79
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:

Yep which is exactly where I was going with it.

All over the world those that integrate take time to learn language both oral and written (reading it).

Those that always fail to integrate are those that never take the time to learn the language of the country they live in.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 11:35 AM   #80
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Quote:
Let's just say speaking English and reading / writing English and leave it at that.

That covers pretty much everyone moving here from a non English based country.
If that's your definition.....then wholeheartedly agreed.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 11:37 AM   #81
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435d XD

Quote:
Appears like you are trying to provoke a truly 'racist' reply. Seems thats not happened at all. In fact, the opposite. Take a bit of time to look a bit deeper at the comments and actually think about what is being said instead of taking the 'outraged-by-proxy' stereotypical stance.

Quote:
Looks like some of you guys are showing your true colours.
Quote:
Your first thought in response to Lobb's comment was that it was most likely owned and driven by a white person.
You may have been reading a different comment but I thought JLR said the opposite?

Quote:
You also seem to imply that some of these places are shitholes because of the current demographics, rather than already having been 'relative' shitholes in the first place before the non-natives moved in.
Some are, some are not. That is not racism, simply an accurate observation. The trouble is when someone makes an observation and attaches an ethnic label to it, non thinkers tend to shout 'racism' (without actually understanding what that actually means).

A group of travellers moved in next to the local village. The crime rate increased by 300%.

Is that statement racist or an observation of the bleedin obvious?

Sorry to appear to be picking on you but you seem to be the one on this thread who doesn't seem to understand the meaning of racism and are trying to provoke a racist reply.

I'm from an ethnic background and where I live, I'm most definitely a minority being surrounded by white English people. I should be offended that you are grouping me with a load of white Anglo-Saxons because I too dare to question.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #82
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Helmut View Post
Appears like you are trying to provoke a truly 'racist' reply. Seems thats not happened at all. In fact, the opposite. Take a bit of time to look a bit deeper at the comments and actually think about what is being said instead of taking the 'outraged-by-proxy' stereotypical stance.

You may have been reading a different comment but I thought JLR said the opposite?

Some are, some are not. That is not racism, simply an accurate observation. The trouble is when someone makes an observation and attaches an ethnic label to it, non thinkers tend to shout 'racism' (without actually understanding what that actually means).

A group of travellers moved in next to the local village. The crime rate increased by 300%.

Is that statement racist or an observation of the bleedin obvious?

Sorry to appear to be picking on you but you seem to be the one on this thread who doesn't seem to understand the meaning of racism and are trying to provoke a racist reply.

I'm from an ethnic background and where I live, I'm most definitely a minority being surrounded by white English people. I should be offended that you are grouping me with a load of white Anglo-Saxons because I too dare to question.
Shit, are you Welsh?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 11:40 AM   #83
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
These are my thoughts, rather than a personal attack or a generalised sweeping statement, so no offence intended......

If anything, I feel that you dug yourself into a hole with your explanation. Your first thought in response to Lobb's comment was that it was most likely owned and driven by a white person. Why?
Im ready to be proven otherwise, but would actually contend that relative to the ethnic makeup of the UK, a higher proportion of non-white people own a modern 'luxury/prestige' vehicle.

None taken.

The thread is entitled 'Things you don't expect to see in Luton' my reply of 'my thoughts too' was to the previous post of 'white skin' which had nothing to do with a Rolls Royce it was due to my opinion that Luton has a very high proportion of Ethnics living there compared to most other places in the UK. However reading it back I can see that the previous reply was linked to a Rolls Royce, I just saw 'white skin' and agreed.

I am not sure where I said that Luton was a shithole due to the ethnics however its always been a shithole and has got a lot worse over the last 10 years. Like most cities I guess.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 11:48 AM   #84
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post
Shit, are you Welsh?
There's lovely!

My father is Spanish can I jump on the racism wagon. All through school I was called Spik, Wap, Dago even Pizza Boy (Yes I know that's Italian) but that's life..... who bleeding cares.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2018, 11:49 AM   #85
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep

Aha....my other lightbulb has just come on. I interpreted that yourself and Lobb were responding to the Rolls Royce comment rather than the thread title. So apologies from me to yourself and Lobb in that case.
Appreciate 2
JLR19691882.00
      04-06-2018, 11:52 AM   #86
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Aha....my other lightbulb has just come on. I interpreted that yourself and Lobb were responding to the thread title rather than the RollsRoyce comment. So apologies from me to yourself and Lobb in that case.
RTFQ

PS see how easy it is to jump immediately to the 'racist' bandwagon without garnering all the facts
Appreciate 1
JLR19691882.00
      04-06-2018, 11:53 AM   #87
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Helmut View Post
think about what is being said instead of taking the 'outraged-by-proxy' stereotypical stance.
[/QUOTE]
Outraged-by-proxy? Please explain
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #88
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Outraged-by-proxy? Please explain
Someone who thinks someone else will be offended by something so shouts 'racism, sexism etc' without asking if the potential person who he thought would be offended actually is.

I.e if you tell a funny, dirty joke and and someone complains. When challenged, the person in question isn't offended but thinks someone will be.
Appreciate 0