F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Where do I clean the rain drain/gutter?
GetBMWParts

08-01-2019, 03:52 PM   #1
blinking
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 3 series

Where do I clean the rain drain/gutter?

I want to clean the source so there isn't a trail of dirt every time it rains. It comes off easy enough after every wash but I'm not trying to wash it every rainy day. I'm not sure where its coming from but it's all over the doors and under the side mirrors and trunk.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 08:01 PM   #2
B39 B58
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i / M Sport / 6MT

Trace the dirt trails to where they come from... note that the trail starting at the C pillar comes from a rain channel that wraps up and over the rear side windows. Then get in those crevices with a soft boars hair brush and some diluted paint-safe all-purpose cleaner like Optimum Power Clean. Spray the cleaner into the crevices and on the brush, then spend a minute or two agitating in the spots your wash mitt can't get to. Finally, rinse it all out with a pressure washer being sure not to leave any cleaner on your paint.

... or you could trade your car in for a gray one
      08-01-2019, 08:48 PM   #3
blinking
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 3 series

thanks, the area under the mirror is the worst but i cant seem to find the source of dirt (same for the handles). for the c pillar when i peaked behind the plastic its clean I cant really see debris there without taking the trim off unfortunately :/
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 03:21 PM   #4
B39 B58
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i / M Sport / 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinking View Post
thanks, the area under the mirror is the worst but i cant seem to find the source of dirt (same for the handles). for the c pillar when i peaked behind the plastic its clean I cant really see debris there without taking the trim off unfortunately :/
That's why a soft brush is your friend. If you get one with bristle's about 1.5" long, they'll be able to get into those spots that you can't see and scrub out the dirt that's staining the paint. Fold the mirrors in and pull out the door handles to clean out the areas that you wouldn't be able to get to otherwise. All-purpose cleaner and a little agitation should be good enough.
      08-12-2019, 03:44 AM   #5
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F32 420d M Sport

Everything B39 says plus for your mirrors, get a plastic trim remover tool and pop off your mirror caps and clean inside your mirrors. My F32 is amazing for not holding water after a wash or rain, aside from the mirrors. I have a car hair dryer and even blowing them out doesn't stop them from leaving a snail trail down the doors, but cleaning as B39 stated and popping the mirrors off at least ensures its a clean water mark rather than a dirty stain like you are getting
Appreciate 1
Bobh5952.00