F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > 2 Paint Blemishes
Studio RSR

08-12-2019, 12:58 PM   #1
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335, G01 X3, Victory Vegas

2 Paint Blemishes

I've got 2 blemishes and I'm wondering on the best way to fix. One was clearly a rock or something that dented and made a nasty scratch. Looks like the dealer tried to paint match and fix. The other is on the back end of the hood and looks like someone improperly tried to raise the wipers and scratched it down to the metal. Would dr. chip work on either of these? Other suggestions? Lesson learned, never buy a car at night...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 07:39 AM   #2
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F32 420d M Sport

The second one is hard to tell from that photo. Do you know if it has gone through the clear coat or not?

The one on the hood is easy to fix. In the UK, you can buy a colour matched paint repair kit from paints4u.com, I am sure there are places like this in the US as well. Just clean the metal, dab a bit of primer in, then a bit of base coat, then over fill the chip with clear so its just proud of the surface, then flat it down, rubbing compound, polish and you're done. Sounds complicated but its really not. Takes about 10 mins one day, cure, then 20 mins the next day.

The kits in the UK are the equivalent of around $16.00 USD and provide everything you need to complete the above steps. I've fixed way worse chips on door edges and you wouldn't know they were there afterwards.

Possible to correct the other issue in the same way but hard to tell from that picture.

Hope that helps
Appreciate 1