F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Bird Crap on paint stained it ? Or just deep dirt?
Studio RSR

08-14-2019, 08:54 PM   #1
F30Adrian
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Bmw 320i

Bird Crap on paint stained it ? Or just deep dirt?

Hey guys , quick question is it possible for bird crap to stain the car paint or leave its marking after it's washed off not even sure if it's bird crap or it just might be dirt ? Seems like I have a few though so any recommendations on product that can clean them off like a wax or paste ?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 03:05 AM   #2
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F32 420d M Sport

Yep, it definitely will stain your clear coat if you don't remove it quickly. In fact, if left long enough it will actually etch through your clear coat and totally destroy it.

If it is just a dull mark, you should be able to hand polish it out with a coarse or heavy polishing sponge and a polish of your choice. If that doesn't do it then try some rubbing compound with a hand polish afterwards. If not, then a machine polish will certainly get it out.

However, if it has started to craze the clear coat, then a machine polish may get it out depending on how deep the etching is, but if not, then youre looking at a wet sand a polish at best.

FYI, wax doesn't have any cleaning properties whatsoever, wax is just used as a protectant and to exaggerate the gloss of your paint, it wont clean anything off other than light water marks. Keeping your car waxed with a quality product will certainly help prevent stains like from occurring in the future though, but I would still recommend removing bird crap as soon as possible regardless.

Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 06:10 AM   #3
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

The above is very true.
Depending on the bird and the weather (direct sunlight expedites the process), you may get very noticable damage on your clear coat!

On my Audi, I have 2 spots on the roof where the clear-coat has been literally micro-cracked by the bird crap which was there for just a couple of hours one sunny day......
The cracks are quite deep, so polishing only improved and evened out the top surface, but the spots are still visible (if you look for them).

So rule #1: Remove bird crap (and dead insects) A.S.A.P.!! What A.S.A.P. means is up to you. For me it means I go out of work if I see my car with a bird crap on the parking lot outside. I remove insects within the day (with wet wipes, detailer or water, whichever is available). Always keep a bottle of Quick Detailer and MF clothes in your trunk.

Rule #2: Regularly use wax or ceramic sealers. I do not know how much they protect against bird crap (especially the waxes). It certainly depends on the wax/sealant as well. But best case - they give you some extra time to clean without damage, but they are not a full protection. Ref. Rule #1.
      09-02-2019, 07:45 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Adrian View Post
any recommendations on product that can clean them off like a wax or paste ?
That's what you apply to protect the paint after you've cleaned it. A polymer sealant is best, as it prevents crap, including bird crap, from reaching the paint. I use Jescar Power Lock myself.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 10:55 AM   #5
FIDDYgg
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i X-Drive

Have a full paint inspection / correction done and ceramic coat the entire vehicle + wheels for best protection against stains / light scratches & swirls and fading from UV.

Have the correction done professionally and perhaps the first application of ceramic, every year or two you can re-apply the ceramic yourself if you're keen with that kind of thing.
      10-11-2019, 05:46 PM   #6
Blahx9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Adrian View Post
Hey guys , quick question is it possible for bird crap to stain the car paint or leave its marking after it's washed off not even sure if it's bird crap or it just might be dirt ? Seems like I have a few though so any recommendations on product that can clean them off like a wax or paste ?
Was the damage undone?, what method did you use? Curious as I have a slight dark mark on my car from the same.
Appreciate 0