F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 Headlight upgrade
proTUNING Freaks

01-17-2018, 11:40 PM   #1
recaross
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Msport

F30 Headlight upgrade

ok ok I know there are many threads on this and I have been browsing for the last hour, but I can't find the answer I need. Everyone seems to already have stock HID lights, making it easier to upgrade. That being said, I don't know anything about different headlight types (xenon, HID, etc etc) I have F30 m sport with the traditional old ass yellow, your grandma's 50 year old lamp type lights, and I hate it. Is it possible to upgrade to something more sleek and white?? if so please how much and what kind of work do I need to do?

Thanks so much
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 12:15 AM   #2
atam1980
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by recaross View Post
ok ok I know there are many threads on this and I have been browsing for the last hour, but I can't find the answer I need. Everyone seems to already have stock HID lights, making it easier to upgrade. That being said, I don't know anything about different headlight types (xenon, HID, etc etc) I have F30 m sport with the traditional old ass yellow, your grandma's 50 year old lamp type lights, and I hate it. Is it possible to upgrade to something more sleek and white?? if so please how much and what kind of work do I need to do?

Thanks so much
You have a ton of options depending on what you actually want, your budget, and your technical ability.

-You can do plug and play LED bulbs in your halogen reflectors if all you care about is the color of the beam. That would be easiest and cheapest. You'll either need to code out the warm/cold checks or buy an error canceler. Check this thread: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1377259
It'll cost you $30-$50

-If you want the upgraded HID look with the angel eyes but don't want to spend a lot, you can buy the depo headlights. Just google F30 depo lights. There's a million page thread on them right below this one. $500-$600. You'll either need to install them yourself or pay a body shop to do it. It's a bitch.

-You could retrofit the OEM HID's, but I don't think you wanna do that. It's expensive and requires quite a bit of work.

-You could buy a spare set of halogen lights and retrofit projectors into them, but you probably don't wanna do that either.

If I were you, I'd get the Depo headlights. The halogen reflectors make the car look cheap. There are videos on youtube for a DIY install. It'll probably take a full day if you've never installed headlights before. BMW didn't make it easy.

Last edited by atam1980; 01-18-2018 at 12:21 AM..
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2018, 08:22 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1377259
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 11:17 AM   #4
Adamr916
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

I've got a almost complete set(needs led modules) of OEM Non-adaptive bi-xenons sitting in my garage if you're interested.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 08:40 PM   #5
Nd0udoinwork
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red 328i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by atam1980 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by recaross View Post

Thanks so much
You have a ton of options depending on what you actually want, your budget, and your technical ability.

-You can do plug and play LED bulbs in your halogen reflectors if all you care about is the color of the beam. That would be easiest and cheapest. You'll either need to code out the warm/cold checks or buy an error canceler. Check this thread: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1377259
It'll cost you $30-$50

-If you want the upgraded HID look with the angel eyes but don't want to spend a lot, you can buy the depo headlights. Just google F30 depo lights. There's a million page thread on them right below this one. $500-$600. You'll either need to install them yourself or pay a body shop to do it. It's a bitch.

-You could retrofit the OEM HID's, but I don't think you wanna do that. It's expensive and requires quite a bit of work.

-You could buy a spare set of halogen lights and retrofit projectors into them, but you probably don't wanna do that either.

If I were you, I'd get the Depo headlights. The halogen reflectors make the car look cheap. There are videos on youtube for a DIY install. It'll probably take a full day if you've never installed headlights before. BMW didn't make it easy.
i can't find depo headlights in stock anywhere
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 12:04 AM   #6
brandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i

https://www.uniquestyleracings.com/i...roduct_id=1023

If you click on the notify me button, they will email you a day prior to the Depo headlights being back in stock. I have been notified 2x within the last month or so with an email. They have included a discount code in the notification email both time.

https://www.protuninglab.com/hid-pro...12-drl-bk.html

I would also have a look at these. They are pretty nice and have HIDs included for about $400. There is a thread on here where someone has these lights. I think these are pretty nice as the DRL's are closer to the LCI style then the pre-LCI style.

https://www.umnitza.com/browse-by-ca...ngel-eyes.html

If you want the OEM look and dont mind spending quite a bit ($1700!) these are pretty nice as the high/lo beams are actual LED and look pretty close the the LCI LED headlights. The DRL's are slightly different then the LCI's but they are nice if your looking for actual LED lights.

Last edited by brandmaster; 01-25-2018 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: added another option
Appreciate 2
PF49er0.00
saga boy299.50
      07-26-2018, 02:36 AM   #7
6ixf30
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30

Halogen headlights upgrade

Guys does anybody knows where to buy a aftermarket headlight for my 2017 bmw 330i . I wanted to change my halogens headlights i think it looks ugly. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 12:01 PM   #8
opendoor
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328ix M sport

Ive been looking for this!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 10:38 PM   #9
gbenz
Registered
Rep
Drives: benzc300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamr916 View Post
I've got a almost complete set(needs led modules) of OEM Non-adaptive bi-xenons sitting in my garage if you're interested.
How much are your xenons? And how much would led modules cost? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 06:14 AM   #10
jlorenzo125
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i Sportline

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1516772

Appreciate 1
      07-27-2018, 06:25 AM   #11
jlorenzo125
Second Lieutenant
Rep

To replace the headlights, u must remove wheels, the entire front bumper, and inner wheel well panels to get to the 4 bolts holding thr lights in place. It's not that hard at all to do. Keis motorsports on YouTube has a tutorial on how to do it. I suggest following him on YouTube.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 05:41 PM   #12
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

The dotted ones look cheap - buying the depos - but not looking fwd to install
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 02:38 PM   #13
jlorenzo125
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
The dotted ones look cheap - buying the depos - but not looking fwd to install
Yes my old dotted ones looked cheap and they crapped out in under 60 days (luckily for me since they had 60day warranty with the ebay seller) back in July I think it was. I returned them for full refund and got depos immediately after and installed everything again myself.
Depos look so much better, like oem

Appreciate 4
      01-13-2019, 09:50 PM   #14
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Nice! Those look perfect
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 09:09 PM   #15
Who_Else_But_Dee
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixf30 View Post
Guys does anybody knows where to buy a aftermarket headlight for my 2017 bmw 330i . I wanted to change my halogens headlights i think it looks ugly. Any suggestions?
In I'm the same boat I have a 2017 f30 with the old yellow light and I can't find anyone they sells the aftermark angel eyes I really don't wanna upgrade to LEDs of I don't have to has anyone upgraded theirs yet ?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 09:15 AM   #16
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6sp

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who_Else_But_Dee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixf30 View Post
In I'm the same boat I have a 2017 f30 with the old yellow light and I can't find anyone they sells the aftermark angel eyes I really don't wanna upgrade to LEDs of I don't have to has anyone upgraded theirs yet ?
Wait I'm confused you want to upgrade but not leds? Only one I know of are either doing the retrofit for the lights or just swapping bulbs (LED HID XENON)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #17
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Agreed, changing lamps without going to LED or HID is nuts. Going to a different lamp because you want a different look is OK, but overlooks the main purpose of headlights: seeing where you're going at night. In that regard halogens suck big time.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 01:36 AM   #18
DavonF30
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i X Drive

I Bought OEM Ones Off A Crashed F30 , But Im Having Issues . They Stay On When Just The Power Is On . Hi Beam Doesn’t Work. . When I Turn The Car They Turn Off After About 20 Seconds. Do They Have To Be Coded To Work Correctly ? Because My Car Came With The Halogens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandmaster View Post

If you click on the notify me button, they will email you a day prior to the Depo headlights being back in stock. I have been notified 2x within the last month or so with an email. They have included a discount code in the notification email both time.

I would also have a look at these. They are pretty nice and have HIDs included for about $400. There is a thread on here where someone has these lights. I think these are pretty nice as the DRL's are closer to the LCI style then the pre-LCI style.

If you want the OEM look and dont mind spending quite a bit ($1700!) these are pretty nice as the high/lo beams are actual LED and look pretty close the the LCI LED headlights. The DRL's are slightly different then the LCI's but they are nice if your looking for actual LED lights.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2020, 07:20 PM   #19
Lal Nasty
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavonF30 View Post
I Bought OEM Ones Off A Crashed F30 , But Im Having Issues . They Stay On When Just The Power Is On . Hi Beam Doesn’t Work. . When I Turn The Car They Turn Off After About 20 Seconds. Do They Have To Be Coded To Work Correctly ? Because My Car Came With The Halogens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandmaster View Post

DavonF30, did you have any luck figuring this out? I was thinking of taking the same route as you, getting some used OEMs instead of Depos.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 10:11 AM   #20
fazi13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Manual

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lal Nasty View Post
DavonF30, did you have any luck figuring this out? I was thinking of taking the same route as you, getting some used OEMs instead of Depos.
You need oem ones and like 20 extra parts n harnesses and rewiring then coding. Someone got all eBay used parts and it was like $2600 after labor. For eBay used...
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2020, 05:56 PM   #21
lil mosey
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW F30 328I BASE 4 DOOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlorenzo125 View Post
Yes my old dotted ones looked cheap and they crapped out in under 60 days (luckily for me since they had 60day warranty with the ebay seller) back in July I think it was. I returned them for full refund and got depos immediately after and installed everything again myself.
Depos look so much better, like oem

hello, mate! I am planning to get DEPOS headlights, but now the option I can purchase is without bulbs, I am wondering what kind of bulbs have you used? And if you don't mind, could you provide the brand of these bulbs?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 06:44 PM   #22
jlorenzo125
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil mosey View Post
hello, mate! I am planning to get DEPOS headlights, but now the option I can purchase is without bulbs, I am wondering what kind of bulbs have you used? And if you don't mind, could you provide the brand of these bulbs?
GP Thunder 5800K Super Bright White Bulb BMW F30/F10