F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Sealant/Spray wax vs. Ceramic Coat
Studio RSR

08-21-2018, 10:13 AM   #1
34dean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i X-drive M Sport

Sealant/Spray wax vs. Ceramic Coat

So I am weighing my options for protecting and keeping my car looking great as we head into the colder months up here in New England. The paint on my car is overall very good. I have some touch up spots on the hood and some chips but the remainder of the car is excellent.

I am considering Cquartz ceramic coating as well as Jescar Power Lock + Meguiers Spray wax. My questions are:

1. Which option will give me the best protection and ease of keeping my car clean?
2. Which will look the best?
3. Which will last longest before needing to re-do?

All opinions and input are obviously welcome as I am very much a newb to this area!

Thank you
      08-21-2018, 01:37 PM   #2
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Ceramic coating is the answer to all 3 of those
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 03:13 PM   #3
Dkcarspa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 99M3, 91IX

Go with coating best option for new england cars. I see you are from CT pm me if you other questions about detailing.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 04:50 AM   #4
SynTom
IAM Roadsmart Fellow
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Coupé

Ceramic Coating all the way.

However if you're crazy like me then you can always add paint sealants and waxes on top of your ceramic coating for extra protection.

I run two ceramics, two sealants and a few different waxes finished off with a hydrophobic mist spray to bring the ceramics hydrophobic properties back.

In short though, for the best possible protection second to a full Clear Bra, Ceramic is your answer.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 05:02 PM   #5
finalfantasyfan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i, X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2003 BMW Z4  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2008 Acura MDX  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
1. Ceramic coating will give you best protection.
2. For me, Power Lock looks better compare to ceramic coating side by side.
3. Ceramic coating last longest. However, it is very hard to re-do ceramic coating which is one of the main disadvantage compare to sealant/wax. You probably need wet sanding or very aggressive compound to remove the ceramic coating and reapply it. With sealant/wax, you can resurface the clearcoat whenever there are scratches or swirl mark. It takes me few hours to "reset" my paint condition to perfect once a year with DA polishing. With Ceramic coating, it lasts longest but it is also very hard to polish imperfection.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 07:17 PM   #6
Bobh59
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe

Garage List
A coating is the answer to all three of your questions. I would also strongly suggest you talk to some people you trust who have experience with coatings and not rely on opinions from people who have no experience with them.
      08-26-2018, 09:19 PM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I use Power Lock, with nothing over it, I'm 100% satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 03:50 PM   #8
hankcah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
CQuartz is great and you can find pricing on Amazon between $50-70. And includes the orange suede applicators, etc.

I applied Cquartz (UK version) to mine back in February of 2017 and it still beads up nicely today. I'll add some Hydro2 every few months to the windows. But applied the cquartz to the windows too.

Even if you don't do paint correction I highly recommend applying the Cquartz. But make sure you clay and fo the 50/50 IPA wipedown prior to applying - to remove oils.

Biggest difference I notice is with washing.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 01:43 PM   #9
LiquidBlue_F30
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i XDrive

Garage List
Paint protection film is the only way to truly keep your vehicle protected during the harsh New England winters. Then add an extra layer of protection using CQuartz Skin which is made specifically for use on PPF.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 04:46 AM   #10
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

High quality sealant, but do the prep work before applying.

Those that recommend a "ceramic", have you actually looked at the ingredients and compared to a sealant?

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 08:43 PM   #11
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
I had pretty good luck with Meguairs Hybrid ceramic wax A.K.A. "fake ceramic sealant" to die hard fans.

I didn't exactly blindly follow the direction on the bottle but actually prepped the surface first. Wash/clay/wipe down with isopropyl alcohol. Then using a damp applicator apply the stuff liberally onto the surface and buff it out immediately. Let it cure in the garage overnight before taking the car outside.

After 3 months the stuff still works as demonstrated on my 7 year old Mazda.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 04:29 AM   #12
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F32 420d M Sport

I am a massive fan of ceramic/liquid crystal/quartz coatings and not a very big fan of spray waxes of any description. Paste waxes, in my considerable experience, have a much better duration than sprays, and always have had. With that said, I do appreciate that spray waxes are far more popular in the US than in the UK.

With that said, there is a really excellent compromise between spray waxes, any waxes and a ceramic coating. G-Techniq C2 is a spray on liquid crystal coating that rather than lasting 5 years, lasts between 4 and 6 months. Isnt difficult to remove, though why would you want to, and can be applied as a top up/protective layer to other ceramic type coatings.

It's very easy to apply and if you prefer something much more semi permanent than a full ceramic coating, its an obvious choice for me. I personally use a coating of G-Techniq C1 (5 year) coated with G-Techniq EVOv4 (the C1 offers the best protection and the EVO provides the Hydrophobic performance) and then every few months I top up with C2, purely because I miss waxing my car.

However, C2 can be used on its own with no additional layers and will offer a lighter, more renewable effect of C1 + EVO with much better results than any wax be it paste or spray
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 08:34 AM   #13
Bobh59
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalfantasyfan View Post
1. Ceramic coating will give you best protection.
2. For me, Power Lock looks better compare to ceramic coating side by side.
3. Ceramic coating last longest. However, it is very hard to re-do ceramic coating which is one of the main disadvantage compare to sealant/wax. You probably need wet sanding or very aggressive compound to remove the ceramic coating and reapply it. With sealant/wax, you can resurface the clearcoat whenever there are scratches or swirl mark. It takes me few hours to "reset" my paint condition to perfect once a year with DA polishing. With Ceramic coating, it lasts longest but it is also very hard to polish imperfection.
I've never seen a sealant that can match a good coating in terms of gloss. I suspect that will change in the future though.

It's not that hard to redo a coating either and it doesn't require wet sanding or the use an aggressive compound. You can also "polish' a coating with a product like CarPro Essence Plus if need be.

Best coatings I've used in terms of ease of use are Blackfire Ceramic Pro and McKees 37 260 Paint Coating.