F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > 3 series paint protection PPF
GetBMWParts

04-23-2019, 05:03 PM   #1
bimmer21k
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 G20

3 series paint protection PPF

Is it worth spending money on paint protection, my car color is black and I havent seen PPF films in action in any of my friend's cars so wondering if it is really useful? Do we have to take any special care of the vehicle after applying the film, would mechanical car washes be ok?

Which one is better compared to XPEL and 3M for partial protection? Are both of them robust? Both are similarly priced, xpel seems to be cheaper by about 100 bucks.
Appreciate 1
XPEL341.00
      04-23-2019, 07:52 PM   #2
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

The quality detailers in my area use Llumar & Suntek PPF. These can be polished just like paint. Mechanical car washes aren't good/safe for anything! Get the best quality you can afford - its not worth saving $100 to go cheap. Good luck!
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 08:20 AM   #3
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Have you considered getting a ceramic coating? Just had my 335i coated in March and would recommend. Or I know a lot of shops in my area will do both ceramic coating & PPF combos
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 08:06 PM   #4
ubaid213
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d MSport

Bit of a random one.... but having picked up my new f31 and applying ppf to the bumpers. Upon close inspection the car seems to already have some sort of paint protection film, resembles a phone screen protector.
Having rang the dealership to ascertain whether ot was factory applied ppf they didnt have a clue. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this on their cars
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 07:26 AM   #5
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubaid213 View Post
Bit of a random one.... but having picked up my new f31 and applying ppf to the bumpers. Upon close inspection the car seems to already have some sort of paint protection film, resembles a phone screen protector.
Having rang the dealership to ascertain whether ot was factory applied ppf they didnt have a clue. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this on their cars
My September 2018 F31 didn't have any factory applied PPF, and I didn't see it on the options list when I ordered it.

Was your F31 brand new or used ? If used, the previous owner may have had it applied.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 09:44 PM   #6
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer21k View Post
Is it worth spending money on paint protection, my car color is black and I havent seen PPF films in action in any of my friend's cars so wondering if it is really useful? Do we have to take any special care of the vehicle after applying the film, would mechanical car washes be ok?

Which one is better compared to XPEL and 3M for partial protection? Are both of them robust? Both are similarly priced, xpel seems to be cheaper by about 100 bucks.
bimmer21k,

We may be a little bias, but we vote YES, it is worth it. Paint Protection Film will give you that physical barrier between you and the road to protect against rock chips, scratches, and much more.

XPEL Paint Protection Film does not require any special care as it's extremely easy to maintain. Just don't use anything that has a petroleum product in it such as naphtha or kerosene. This is true for any paint protection film brand.

If you want protection against rock chips and even easier maintenance, then we would recommend having paint protection film applied and then a ceramic coating applied on TOP of the film and to the rest of the paint, glass, and wheels.

Check out the video below from Engineering Explained where he does a deep dive into Everything You Need To Know About Ceramic Coatings.

https://youtu.be/KY-8KyRrOuE
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13161.00
      05-05-2019, 01:16 AM   #7
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPEL View Post
Quote:

bimmer21k,

We may be a little bias, but we vote YES, it is worth it. Paint Protection Film will give you that physical barrier between you and the road to protect against rock chips, scratches, and much more.

XPEL Paint Protection Film does not require any special care as it's extremely easy to maintain. Just don't use anything that has a petroleum product in it such as naphtha or kerosene. This is true for any paint protection film brand.

If you want protection against rock chips and even easier maintenance, then we would recommend having paint protection film applied and then a ceramic coating applied on TOP of the film and to the rest of the paint, glass, and wheels.

Check out the video below from Engineering Explained where he does a deep dive into Everything You Need To Know About Ceramic Coatings.

https://youtu.be/KY-8KyRrOuE
1. Can you wax a ppf?
2. If it is damaged by say scratched and has to be peeled off to reapply. Will it take the clear coat off with it?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 02:07 AM   #8
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Quote:

I've had suntek, xpel and 3m. All have been very good at stopping stonechips, scuffs and minor incidents including mirror to mirror collisions. All last for at least 5 years and I've noticed no yellowing.

xpel is marginally the best because it seems toughter than suntek and has the same self healing properties and polishes really well.

3m does the job, but when I picked my burnt orange car, the installer had a jet black car in. the 3m installation wasnt as good.

mechanical washes and jet washes wont lift ppf unless it's got damage or not been installed properly - or least I've never had a problem of several hamfisted dealer washes, automated car washes over a 10 year period and four cars with ppf.

it's worth noting that the installer makes a big difference regardless of price. run away if they haven't got a dedicated clean room or cut in on application.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 08:58 AM   #9
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlees View Post

it's worth noting that the installer makes a big difference regardless of price. run away if they haven't got a dedicated clean room or cut in on application.
so dont go to RDBLA
      05-07-2019, 09:53 AM   #10
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea_Tractor View Post
1. Can you wax a ppf?
2. If it is damaged by say scratched and has to be peeled off to reapply. Will it take the clear coat off with it?
Chelsea,

1 - Yes. You can wax a PPF, we just recommend not to use anything that has a petroleum product on it. Be sure to check the ingredients. This is true for any PPF.

2 - If it's factory paint, 99.99% no. If it's been repainted, we can't guarantee anything (this is true with any PPF). If your painter prepped, painted, and baked everything on properly, then your paint should be okay. Note that is also comes down to the method of removal. Like anything in life, if you use the right technique, you'll get better results. The same holds true here. Check out the image below as it shows the proper angle in which to remove PPF.

Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13161.00
      08-03-2019, 01:21 PM   #11
LiquidBlue_F30
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i XDrive

Garage List
PPF is 100% worth it. I have a long commute to work and it's mostly highway. I wash the car once a week and apply a spray wax afterwards. I carry a waterless wash and wax spray in the trunk at all times for a quick touch up as needed. Even with PPF you don't want to leave bugs and sap on the film for long periods of time. It's not cheap, but the reward is not collecting scattered rock chips on the hood and bumper.
Appreciate 1
XPEL341.00
      08-10-2019, 01:28 PM   #12
435MSport6Speed
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435i M Sport 6 Speed

PPF is 100% worth it. I'm on my 6th car with it.

I'm very lucky to be 3 miles from the #1 XPEL installer in the country - Automotive Elegance.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 12:21 PM   #13
c0ndu
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

PPF is 100% worth it, especially if you have long drive commutes or highways.
Appreciate 0