F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Rear bumper damage
GetBMWParts

09-23-2019, 06:14 PM   #1
docdrops
Rep
Drives: BMW 435I X-Drive

Rear bumper damage

The other day I parked in an underground parking structure to come out two hours later and see that someone hit my rear bumper.

Nothing I can do about this

I'm trying to evaluate some options on replacing/ fixing it.

My first option is to do it myself just to slightly minimize the scratches. They catch with the nail so they are past the clear coat, but I'll try to minimize it.
Anyone got suggestions as to what products or grit sand paper to use?

My second option is to get my bumper repaired at an auto body shop. Not sure if I should go through my insurance for this; but the guy at the shop quoted me at 830$. Would I be able to talk to my agent before making a claim?

Third option, and I was going to do this down the road. Is to buy an m sport f32 rear bumper and replace it myself and have it painted at a professional. The rear bumper costs 500$ish and not quiet sure how much a paint job costs but someone estimated me at 600-700$.

Suggestions?

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Last edited by docdrops; 09-23-2019 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: forgot pictures
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 11:04 AM   #2
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F32 420d M Sport

Your pictures aren't displaying but if you follow my guide here:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1653152

It should give you a good idea if this is something you want to take on yourself.

Cost of materials will be less than $50, but then you will want to follow my other guide on colour sanding after you have finished the repair and for that you would need a DA polisher, which would cost you around $300, but then you will have a DA polisher and will still be up versus getting a body shop repair.

My advice would be that if you are already considering getting the bodyshop or a replacement bumper, then what is the harm in having a go yourself first? Worst case scenario you will lose $50ish on materials and end up getting the bodyshop to fix your repair, best case, you saved yourself 100's of $$$.... I know what I would do
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 12:16 PM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

File an insurance claim. There's a lot more to that repair than just painting and rubbing it out.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 09:15 PM   #4
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Were there any cameras in the garage? They might show who's to blame.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 11:01 AM   #5
sean2648
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Just file an insurance claim, not your fault, should fall under no-fault collision or uninsured motorist coverage if you have that in your state. Pretty sure Wisconsin has that (if that is where you are from based on your profile).

Hopefully, your deductible isn't too bad.

If you're trying to go the DIY route though, Bill is right. There is a lot more to that repair than just sanding and painting. Looks like a crack there on the bottom left of the damage, and those scratches are damaging through the plastic bumper. So you're looking at body filler, blending, sanding, primer, and paint. It's doable, but more than just an afternoon project, especially for someone who has never tackled it before. Don't know your comfort level for trying new DIY projects

Instagram /// Build Thread
Appreciate 0