F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > drivers side brake light housing sticking out
proTUNING Freaks

07-12-2020, 01:55 PM   #1
sick_guy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
drivers side brake light housing sticking out

I have started to notice that sometimes when I approach my car that I will see the brake light housing on the drivers side sticking out a bit. I am specifically talking about the part that is connected to the trunk door. The part that sticks out is the edge next the brake lights that are actually part of the chassis. With my hand I can kind of push it back into place, but every once in a while it will start sticking out a bit again. I wanted to see if anyone here is having or has had the same issue and what their solutions were to this issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 10:32 PM   #2
jsouth
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

It is a known problem. To get to the light, remove the trunk lid liner. Once you unplug the harness, there is a retaining nut holding a white nylon lock piece. Removing that nut and lock piece lets you remove the light.

If you are lucky, the retaining tab on the light housing has simply slipped out of its place (a slot on the trunk lid). You can actually take a large screwdriver and gently tweak the opening of the slot to grab the tab a little more. Reassemble and enjoy the fact that it doesn't pop out anymore.

If you are unlucky, you get to replace the light housing (used about $50 on eBay). When you reinstall the new one, do the tweak described above.

If you have only had this problem on one side, fix it on both sides when you have the liner out! I had to replace one of mine, but was able to fix one without replacing.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2020, 10:45 PM   #3
sick_guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsouth View Post
It is a known problem. To get to the light, remove the trunk lid liner. Once you unplug the harness, there is a retaining nut holding a white nylon lock piece. Removing that nut and lock piece lets you remove the light.

If you are lucky, the retaining tab on the light housing has simply slipped out of its place (a slot on the trunk lid). You can actually take a large screwdriver and gently tweak the opening of the slot to grab the tab a little more. Reassemble and enjoy the fact that it doesn't pop out anymore.

If you are unlucky, you get to replace the light housing (used about $50 on eBay). When you reinstall the new one, do the tweak described above.

If you have only had this problem on one side, fix it on both sides when you have the liner out! I had to replace one of mine, but was able to fix one without replacing.
Thank you! I'm going to check it out tomorrow when the suns out. Now I'm just praying that the tab is out of place.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 10:16 AM   #4
jsouth
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick_guy View Post
Thank you! I'm going to check it out tomorrow when the suns out. Now I'm just praying that the tab is out of place.
To engage the tab, the light has to slide inboard. Consequently, when you remove it, slide it outboard about 1/4". When the outer edge is loose, you can pull the entire light assembly out. You may have to compress against the weather seal to get it to slide in or out.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 03:30 PM   #5
sick_guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
To engage the tab, the light has to slide inboard. Consequently, when you remove it, slide it outboard about 1/4". When the outer edge is loose, you can pull the entire light assembly out. You may have to compress against the weather seal to get it to slide in or out.
Thanks for the instructions. I think I am going to wait until Friday to check it out cause I just ordered some led reverse lights, and I will post an update then.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 02:17 PM   #6
sick_guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Update: I was super lucky and the tab was just out of place. I just put it back and that was that
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 10:41 AM   #7
jsouth
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick_guy View Post
Update: I was super lucky and the tab was just out of place. I just put it back and that was that
Did you tweak the slot at all? I think it will just pop out again if you didn't (or if you are unlucky it will snap the tab off the light housing).
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 04:37 PM   #8
sick_guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Did you tweak the slot at all? I think it will just pop out again if you didn't (or if you are unlucky it will snap the tab off the light housing).
I bent it a tad bit like you said so hopefully it stays in place. I was actually considering getting the depo blackline lci tail lights in the future so worst case scenario I'll just get a new set of housings.
Appreciate 0