F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > New discussion on coding vs warranty
proTUNING Freaks

03-30-2016, 12:53 PM   #1
DrPhant0m
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 335xGT M, Estoril Blue

New discussion on coding vs warranty

tl;dr version:
Has anyone here been denied warranty service (or had their warranties voided) because the dealership "found out" that the car had been coded? I was told today that coding will void my warranty, and they'll know immediately when they connect to the car.

Full version:
I just got my car back after having a scheduled maintenance appointment.

I had asked them to update the software to allow for smart closing of my 2014 F34's hatch. (I read elsewhere that this required an iStep update at the dealership) At first, they had no idea what I was talking about. After talking to a Genius, I was told that it was possible via coding, but the dealership couldn't do it. In fact, he said "none of the 360+ dealerships will do it."

I told him that I was familiar with coding, and how some people had succeeded in doing it, and he promptly told me that it would void my warranty. I inquired further, and he said "any coding, even having your mirrors fold in when you lock it... will void your warranty" and he said that they will know automatically when they connect to the car and it phones home to Germany.

How does everyone here feel about that? I've heard in other threads that it most certainly will NOT void your warranty... but I have to go with what the dealership says, however inaccurate and unfair it may be. For obvious reasons.

Now... this conversation happened after I got my car back from the dealership, and no one mentioned anything about my warranty being voided. PS... My mirrors fold in when I lock the car (hold my finger on the door handle)... the car starts up in ECO mode... and it does a few other fun things as well.
Was he blowing smoke in my face?

Further... I asked him if I can program a new key (which was sent from a dealership and has been cut and pre-coded for my car) in my driveway, and he said no, I had to take it to the dealership. The key I've been using every day for the last 5 months was programmed in my driveway.

Has anyone here been confronted about coding after a trip to the dealer? Did they "know???" More importantly... did they CARE enough to void your warranty?

Thanks for reading.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 04:52 PM   #2
Simpaty
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d sedan F30

I would really be interested in reading any reply on this. My car is just 1 year old, I did some coding as well, and it would be interested to know if all ECU's must be reset to factory before bringing it to servicing.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 05:20 PM   #3
lesnica
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Technically tampering with your cars ECU or what have you does void warranty but your SA must be a dick if he would deny you service because your mirrors fold when you lock your car.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 07:54 AM   #4
MunchTIME
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i M-Sport

Garage List
2015 328i  [0.00]
Subscribed.

Did you have any bolt on mods installed when you took it in?

His tombstone read: "Speed may have been a factor."
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 10:26 AM   #5
Beowulf65
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i xDrive Gran Coupé

Garage List
BMW service departments have neither the time nor the inclination to review your car's configuration files. Just don't bring the issue up with your service department...or you may get a generic..."Oh, no, never do that!" response.

Also, do not code unless you very carfully (pun intended) study the proper procedures...hit the wrong button in E-sys and you can cause big trouble.

You are not altering the car's ECU module software and FDL Coding can not break or “brick” your BMW or its modules. It is perfectly safe. You are not flashing new software to your car, you are only modifying configuration files which tell the car's software what features are enabled or disabled. Given that the car already has the particular function capability (e.g., folding mirrors, numerous blink signals, etc.) all you are doing is telling the software to turn a feature on or off or alter its timing or frequency.

Now, if you programme the module software...that is more risky. Oops, I bricked my ECU and now have to reprogramme the software... This can still be done, but you will be a bit more concerned...

Finally...don't code parameters outside of their valid ranges. For example, what might happen if you coded a seat heating temperature to an unsafe level and your seat caught on fire? Now, your warranty will not cover that problem!

Last edited by Beowulf65; 03-31-2016 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 2
      03-31-2016, 01:39 PM   #6
DrPhant0m
Private
Rep

I'm of the opinion that using factory-available options inside the software should not void the warranty. However, it's unfortunately up to the dealership to deny warranty claims. So, in the future, I'm going to try to flash my car back to stock before they get their hands on it. I seem to have gotten away with it this time - there was no mention of it, written or verbal, and my car came back with the codings still intact.

Is there a good write-up on loading in all the factory settings offline, and then just connecting and flashing in one batch? I've only flashed once and I used a cheap netbook that I don't have with me, so I'm rusty on it.

lesnica
I guess they were bordering on being dicks, then. At least threatening dickish behavior.

MunchTIME
No bolt-ons. My first foray into e-sys was light stuff like mirror folding, start in ECO mode, ///M logo on the Nav, and remove disclaimers.

When I got the car back from the service station, all of these coding mods were still on... so they either didn't notice or they didn't care. They certainly didn't code it back to stock.

Beowulf65
I agree with you. Programming the "trip reset interval" to 1 hour instead of 4 (the next thing I want to do) should not prevent me from getting warrantied work done on the transmission if it would fail. However, the dealership holds all the cards on the warranty. That's what I'm worried about, and I was wondering if anyone has primary experience of a warranty being revoked over coding (to any degree).

We all know how retail establishments can screw over the customer if they want to. Most of the time, the customer can huff and puff and threaten to give bad feedback... but then they can't do anything without a significant expenditure of time and research (and legal fees).

I'm not interested in "pushing the limits" on anything... though warmer seat heat is pretty enticing for the cold PA mornings. I'm more focused on convenience mods (smart close of my F34 hatch, or the trip reset interval I mentioned earlier)... and the occasional "dazzle/gingerbread" stuff like changing the "active sound" profile to an M3 so that it sounds like 8cyl inside the car rather than 6. If anything I want to do would turn out to require a really invasive mod... I probably won't do it. Not because I think I'll botch it, but because I wouldn't justify the risk.

My worry is that the dealership would come up with some kind of nonsense like "well, you coded F080 into your chassis code to change the active sound profile, and so your car thought it had a different performance profile and that's why your engine fell out" (ridiculous, I know)

Last edited by DrPhant0m; 03-31-2016 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 09:48 PM   #7
Beowulf65
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I have yet to come across anyone who has had warranty claims denied on the basis of coding. Perhaps I'll post a poll and see if anyone comes forward.

It is easy to return your car to factory VO coding. If you have only FDL coded some changes into a few modules, simply VO code those modules and that will return the car to its original settings. Or, simply load your saved ".ncd" files and FDL code any modules with altered settings using the original saved configuration files.

Any denial of a warranty claim would have to demonstrate that the coding was responsible for the failure. Nevertheless, if you have a potential warranty issue, you can consider returning your car to its original VO state. Many have had a software update done and had to redo the coding...I have yet to hear of anyone being informed by the service department that the car had been coded. They simply apply the update...I doubt anyone would waste time comparing FDLs.

Attached is a copy of all the changes I have made on my 2016 435xi GC.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW 2016 435xi Gran Coupé Coding List.pdf (41.3 KB, 855 views)

Last edited by Beowulf65; 04-01-2016 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 11:36 AM   #8
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
I've coded hundreds of cars and not a single one has had a warranty issue.

The car doesn't "phone home" as soon as its plugged in and say: "this car is coded void warranty now pls".
      04-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #9
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

I've been dudded by the title of this post!

This is not a new discussion at all, it's the same as the numerous other posts on exactly the same topic.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 04:36 PM   #10
Beowulf65
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post

This is not a new discussion at all, it's the same as the numerous other posts on exactly the same topic.
Words can be quicksand man!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 04:00 AM   #11
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Have had my car serviced 3 times now by the dealer and not one word about the coding.
Appreciate 1
cstsui0.00
      04-03-2016, 09:14 AM   #12
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
You have to consider that all that's being done with FDL coding is turning on/off features that are already in the various ECU modules. It's not like creating completely new and different ones or tampering with the DME settings. Why would it void a warranty if you turn on the door-handle LEDs while backing up or unlocking the doors when you shut the engine off? There's just no logical justification for voiding a warranty based on something already present in the vehicle.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #13
cjmcdonald86
Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d xDrive

Genius vs. mechanic's take on it

So, I'm a BMW Genius, and at training, or any other part of the dealership, nothing is said about coding. The generic is to say that it will void your warranty (to keep people from messing around). Some mechanics know about it, but they are not trained on it. I had a mechanic yell at me once. He thought the car was screwed up (BIG TIME) because I had the chimes and gong set to Rolls Royce sounds. It was so ridiculous. I do coding myself, and you really have to understand what you're doing and how it all works.

Take the sports automatic transmission for instance. The transmissions in all of the 3 Series are identical, unless you have a manual transmission. There is no difference between the regular Steptronic transmission, and the sport automatic transmission. Besides the design of the shifter, and added paddles.

On the 328d, the sports automatic transmission was generally only offered as an option with the sport line or the M sport, and is standard on the sport wagon. I have the sedan, in the luxury line which was the only line that did not offer the sports automatic transmission. I have since coded the sports automatic transmission to my car, it is a world of difference.

Afterwhile, I had noticed almost like a missing feeling with the transmission at times. So, I decided to take it in for service. They hooked it up, and told me that the car was throwing out errors, yelled at me up-and-down for the certain things that were going on, and said that it could void the warranty and told me to revert it back. I called absolute bullshit on this, because the transmissions are identical between the sports automatic and the standard Steptronic. Which means it should make no difference whatsoever with what they said the problem is coming from, which was "transfer case". The other error that the car was throwing, was that there were no paddle shifters installed, and that's really just cosmetic, which really shouldn't make any sort of difference.

Back to the basic of this thread, Coding should not void your warranty. All you're doing is turning on options that are already available in the car computer itself. You're not making any physical changes to the car that would even promote voiding warranty.

That is my take on it.
      04-04-2016, 08:53 AM   #14
DrPhant0m
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf32 View Post
I've coded hundreds of cars and not a single one has had a warranty issue.

The car doesn't "phone home" as soon as its plugged in and say: "this car is coded void warranty now pls".

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmcdonald86 View Post
So, I'm a BMW Genius, and at training, or any other part of the dealership, nothing is said about coding. The generic is to say that it will void your warranty (to keep people from messing around).

Back to the basic of this thread, Coding should not void your warranty. All you're doing is turning on options that are already available in the car computer itself. You're not making any physical changes to the car that would even promote voiding warranty.

That is my take on it.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

So, the car doesn't "phone home to Germany" like I was told? (I thought this was ridiculous)

And, since I have been told directly "Coding will void your warranty" do I have a recourse in citing anything specific to the contrary? Like I've said before... it's the dealership's discretion. Technically, they can deny me service for any reason whether it's fair or not... and it's my burden to prove them otherwise to get service. (When I worked at BestBuy, I saw sales managers do some pretty immoral things with customers, so I've seen it happen) If that would happen, am I better off un-coding the car, and taking it to another dealership?

Thanks again for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post

This IS a new discussion... the same way you might say you've got a "new car" or "new girlfriend" when you're fully aware they've both been around the block plenty of times.

It is nice to keep the discussion fresh, since policies and experiences change all the time.... but with that said, I'll do this for you:

Thank you all for the input!

Last edited by DrPhant0m; 04-15-2016 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:03 AM   #15
Fixx
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i F20 LCI

I VO code HU_ENTRYNAV with 6NH to 6NS, and did some FDL coding to some ECU's. But I've done all that with Update VCM&MSM are checked, I didn't know it before.

I didn't get any errors with various coding sessions in two cars(F20 LCI), so I assume my VCM and MSM updated everytime I coded. I know VCM is updated because 6NS is there on FA, despite I didn't do a VCM update manually. I can get my e-sys logs tomorrow.

Now my main question is; will this affect my warranty because I paid for 3 years warranty for both the cars. I have original backup of FA, SVT and NCD. Will I need to, and how, revert back VCM and MSM to factory original? Will BWM dealer see these updates and codings?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:57 AM   #16
Icydubloon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I have LCI-coded equipment on my non-LCI car and have had no problems. I never say anything about coding, however.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 01:02 PM   #17
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

I should start coding if it is safe to do so.

But it is going to be a heck of a job to understand parts and software to use.

I wonder if anyone can directed to an up to date post for MY14 328xi
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 03:13 PM   #18
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmcdonald86
So, I'm a BMW Genius, and at training, or any other part of the dealership, nothing is said about coding. The generic is to say that it will void your warranty (to keep people from messing around). Some mechanics know about it, but they are not trained on it. I had a mechanic yell at me once. He thought the car was screwed up (BIG TIME) because I had the chimes and gong set to Rolls Royce sounds. It was so ridiculous. I do coding myself, and you really have to understand what you're doing and how it all works.

Take the sports automatic transmission for instance. The transmissions in all of the 3 Series are identical, unless you have a manual transmission. There is no difference between the regular Steptronic transmission, and the sport automatic transmission. Besides the design of the shifter, and added paddles.

On the 328d, the sports automatic transmission was generally only offered as an option with the sport line or the M sport, and is standard on the sport wagon. I have the sedan, in the luxury line which was the only line that did not offer the sports automatic transmission. I have since coded the sports automatic transmission to my car, it is a world of difference.

Afterwhile, I had noticed almost like a missing feeling with the transmission at times. So, I decided to take it in for service. They hooked it up, and told me that the car was throwing out errors, yelled at me up-and-down for the certain things that were going on, and said that it could void the warranty and told me to revert it back. I called absolute bullshit on this, because the transmissions are identical between the sports automatic and the standard Steptronic. Which means it should make no difference whatsoever with what they said the problem is coming from, which was "transfer case". The other error that the car was throwing, was that there were no paddle shifters installed, and that's really just cosmetic, which really shouldn't make any sort of difference.

That is my take on it.
Did you code SAT via the VO coding or just FDL?
      05-28-2016, 10:11 AM   #19
bueller
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 EB F31 2018 LG F80

Garage List
Personally, while my car is under warrantee I would rather not code, as I understand that I am putting my dealership in a precarious situation. They rely on BMW to pay them to address warrantee issues on my car. If my coding causes a warrantee claim to be declined it is not really worth the hassle.

On the other hand, putting warnings over top of the video display on backup cameras, nag screens and chimes and more warnings, while sometimes can be ignored / lived with, it is just so over the top with my car, I plunked down my $19.95 and went to town!

My car has to go in as the engine light is on, it came on when the car was a week old and went off again, now it is on permanently. I had not coded anything when it came on the first time. The sunroof no longer opens. It was working fine after I coded to turn off all the idiotic messages, bongs warnings and so on, it stopped working a month or so later, my car is only 6 months old.

The blindspot warning thing works 70% of the time, I have turned it off as 0% is more helpful than 70%, and one of the cameras in the front bumper flickers. I am not going to have these issues addressed as the less the dealer touches my car the better as far as I am concerned. My takeaway is to order a stripper next.

I do know that with my BMW motorcycles when they change something in the software, I had LED indicators added as well as ABS Pro, they had to plug the bike in to their system in the worksop, it downloaded new software from the Fatherland and flashed the firmware on my bike. I do not think that the car or bike 'calls home' every time they plug it in, I would think that only if there is a firmware update. I also think that the amount of stink caused by denying warrantee claims for things like disabling door chimes would cause BMW more of a PR hassle than they would like to bring on. As far as someone at a dealership saying something, I would give it a 43% chance of being correct / true.

I will let everyone know if there is any blowback from my coding with regard to the sunroof and engine light issues, my plan is to keep the fact I coded the car to myself, I won't lie if asked, but I am not going to be a chatty Cathy about it.

B.

Last edited by bueller; 05-28-2016 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 01:45 AM   #20
Zerp
ex-Porsche Guy
Rep
Drives: BMW 218d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
I have yet to come across anyone who has had warranty claims denied on the basis of coding.

It is easy to return your car to factory VO coding.

Any denial of a warranty claim would have to demonstrate that the coding was responsible for the failure.
My question is what sort of record of changes can the dealership read? Is it possible that there is a log that records all changes to the ECU? If so, returning the car to factory VO coding would just be one step among many.

THAT BEING SAID, I’m using Bimmercode and have changed the seatbelt warnings, angel eyes, start/stop to OFF, shortened the time delay for mirror retraction, and several other such things. In order to return it to factory do I have to go into each module, look at the backups available to restore, pick oldest backup, and then restore them one by one?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 02:12 AM   #21
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

General rule of thumb is do NOT vehicle order code or flash or update modules. Standard fdl coding will not cause any alarming warranty issues
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      04-25-2020, 02:27 AM   #22
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post
General rule of thumb is do NOT vehicle order code or flash or update modules. Standard fdl coding will not cause any alarming warranty issues
Touché, this is the most accurate advice here.

VO coding is altering the factory set vehicle mapping, which can trigged an error, if the dealer has to update your software and detects options that doesn't match the original factory VIN order.

FLD coding, such as anything with Bimmercode, is using the same map, which is essentially just toggling features on/off, that creates no mapping error, since the factory options remain the same.

TL : DR: Bimmercode is safe but when you delve in, with something more invasive, such as ESYS, you're potentially playing with fire, with regards to your warranty coverage.
Appreciate 1