F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > changing transfer case fluid
Studio RSR

03-19-2024, 10:48 AM   #1
f32christian
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw 428i xdrive

changing transfer case fluid

hey everyone, i have a 15’ 428i xdrive. i plan on getting my transfer case fluid changed, im at 90k miles and dont know if its been replaced yet so i thought this would be a good time too. under heavy acceleration my car kinda feels like its bouncing a bit or a small jitter and someone said they changed the transfer case fluid and it resolved there issue. even if its not my problem what do you guys think? is it a good time to replace my fluid?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 06:48 PM   #2
salty8snax
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Xdrive Wagon

Yeah its definitely time for new fluid. Suck some of the old fluid out and inspect with a flashlight. If its dark and smells burned or if you see lots of shiny bits then you’ll most likely need a new case or a rebuild. Also check the transfer case mount for any signs of cracking or tearing and then also check the condition of your flex plate. I think you should have an all rubber one but if you see that it’s aluminum then be sure to swap it out with the updated rubber one since the old aluminum one can cause damage to the transfer case. Hopefully that fixed your problem but if not then the splines on the output shaft flange may be worn or there’s another problem elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 07:30 PM   #3
f32christian
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw 428i xdrive

okay i have the new fluid, just waiting to do the change. and i got xdelete and the issue completely went away so im sure its the transfer case.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 08:56 PM   #4
salty8snax
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Xdrive Wagon

Sounds good let me know what you find. Also don’t forget to reset the adaptations of the transfer case once you’ve done the work to it. You might have to add xdrive back on first though i’m not sure. I’m about to do this same service at 53k once all my parts get here. My mount was completely torn and my flex plate is starting to crack. Im also trying to find a bootleg ISTA so I can reset it without having to take it in. I’ll let you know if I can find one though.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 12:06 PM   #5
_ObiJon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty8snax View Post
Sounds good let me know what you find. Also don’t forget to reset the adaptations of the transfer case once you’ve done the work to it. You might have to add xdrive back on first though i’m not sure. I’m about to do this same service at 53k once all my parts get here. My mount was completely torn and my flex plate is starting to crack. Im also trying to find a bootleg ISTA so I can reset it without having to take it in. I’ll let you know if I can find one though.
BimmerGeeks ProTool can reset adaptations but unfortunately it's not free. However, it's paid for itself already because I used it to service my wife's F15 transfer case and code brakes on my F32 and both worked like a charm.
Appreciate 1