F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2017 330e feedback pros / cons ?
Extreme Powerhouse

11-23-2020, 08:26 PM   #1
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

2017 330e feedback pros / cons ?

Hey all, I am considering a 2017 CPO Msport 330e for my wife. She has a 2015 Msport 328i so thinking its time for a change.

Any of you 330e owners, can you tell me the pros and cons from your ownership. Have you ever compared the 328i to the 330e or the 330i to the 330e. Anything stand out as being particularly better or worse than the non e model or is it pretty much the same car but with a few miles of electric added on.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 06:42 AM   #2
SRHosein
Private First Class
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M-sport

Hi,

I am an owner of BMW 330e Hybrid Msport.

Thus far no major issues - regular maintenance (oil & filter change, brakes fluid flush, air filter change, auxiliary battery (start stop battery) replacement, starter replacement due to recall - however I know many users who did not replace).
Note the auxiliary battery causes a drivetrain error.

I am also pushing my car as it is tuned.
https://www.facebook.com/11536527021...7659298655220/

The 330e comes with the B48 engine (similar to the 20i models) which has proved to be more reliable than the predecessor N20. The B48 also has water-cooled intake so if tuning, a stage 2 tune only requires a downpipe where as N20 requires intercooler upgrades and downpipe.

I have seen users push b48 422whp on stock internals (non-hybrid) with upgraded turbo and other just making 320whp and blown engine (due to poor tuning and removal of safety features). Thus far I have only seen pistons and rods damaged and those are on highly tuned cars and users who pushing the limits.

If using for short trips, this will be very good on fuel. It is very fuel efficient when driven for that.

Pros
• Hybrid can drive full electric
• More fuel efficient especially for short trips
• Very quiet especially in full electric mode
• Instant torque
• Some countries have incentives on owning hybrids (less/no tax ect)

Cons
• Need to charge (It is best to keep batteries fully charged)
• Very heavy compared to other vehicles
• Auxiliary battery (Start/Stop) tends to require replacement (depending on your location you can buy the Varta B36 which is basically the same battery without BMW logo and lower cost)
• Hybrids come with additional electronics, batteries which will be expensive if they fail
• No launch control

Thank you.

Regards,
Shane
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 11:04 AM   #3
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Great info, thank you for all of the details. On the Aux battery, how much are we walking, the same as a normal car battery? If so not a big deal then. Thank you again
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 11:13 AM   #4
SRHosein
Private First Class
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkancel View Post
Great info, thank you for all of the details. On the Aux battery, how much are we walking, the same as a normal car battery? If so not a big deal then. Thank you again
You're welcome.

Depends on your location.
UK its like £46
USA its like $156 USD as you have to buy BMW one.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 02:33 PM   #5
xxDYxx
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330e

I love my 2017 330e! This is my first BMW so I cant really compare it to any others... but here is my experience with it.

We installed a 240v charging port in the garage (we've owned a few PHEV's over the years) so it can go from 10% to 100% in about 2 hours give or take and I charge it every night. I have a 27 mi drive one way to work: 5ish miles through town (electric), 17ish miles on the freeway (gasoline), then another 5ish miles of town (electric). Right now my car shows a 48.8 MPG avg (I also have bigger tires/wheels so its probably a little more than that).

Current mods are: Downpipe, Intake, Charge Pipe, BM3 93 Oct Stage 2 tune. I don't know what the hp/tq are, but it as VERY fun to drive. I have it coded to start in Eco mode as a default and leave it in that for my daily commute... but push it up to Sport/Sport+ and it goes like crazy!

Hope that helps!

DY
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 07:53 PM   #6
SRHosein
Private First Class
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxDYxx View Post
I love my 2017 330e! This is my first BMW so I cant really compare it to any others... but here is my experience with it.

We installed a 240v charging port in the garage (we've owned a few PHEV's over the years) so it can go from 10% to 100% in about 2 hours give or take and I charge it every night. I have a 27 mi drive one way to work: 5ish miles through town (electric), 17ish miles on the freeway (gasoline), then another 5ish miles of town (electric). Right now my car shows a 48.8 MPG avg (I also have bigger tires/wheels so its probably a little more than that).

Current mods are: Downpipe, Intake, Charge Pipe, BM3 93 Oct Stage 2 tune. I don't know what the hp/tq are, but it as VERY fun to drive. I have it coded to start in Eco mode as a default and leave it in that for my daily commute... but push it up to Sport/Sport+ and it goes like crazy!

Hope that helps!

DY

Stage 2 should be around 350whp+. I coded mines to start in eco mode as well lol. Note xHP is currently released for hybrids for faster shifts.
Appreciate 1
xxDYxx11.50
      12-10-2020, 03:44 PM   #7
jkstyle834
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 330e M Package

i own 2016 330e LCI m-sports.

pros:
-with help of electric motor, it's got really good torque. Feels pretty good off the line.
-i have bm3 stage 2 93oct with catless dp, intake, chargepipe, muffler delete and still gets 35~40/mpg on comfort mode, when i didnt have any mods, i was getting anywhere from 40~75/mpg with about 50miles of driving. mpg will fall as you drive more.
-i charge my car every night and literally my electric bill did not go up more than $5 per month. 220v charging port at home is good since range is so low on electric mode you need to charge as much as you can every chance. 110v takes 8 hours to charge from like 10% to 100%. 220v 2 hours max.
-they are fairly cheap with low mileage. i got mine for 29k otd with 18k miles on it. it was a cpo.

cons:
-people seems to be having issue with auxiliary battery. mine went out at 40k. it was covered under cpo warranty but like literally like 2 weeks before the warranty was over.
-realistically with regular driving, you will only get about 14miles or less on battery alone unless you baby your throttle and lots of down hills.
-because of the main battery placement, you can fill up only 10 gallons at the pump. You will still get 400miles+ per fill up (if you charge every night) but it wouldve been nice if it was like a gallon or two bigger for long road trips.
-compared to 328i, trunk space is going to be smaller because of the battery placement. it's more shallow. It feels big enough for me but I dont know if you can fit two golf bags in there...

Honestly, if you are looking at hybrids/plug-in hybrid, i would just go full electric considering that it costs almost next to nothing charging it and there is no maintenance required for those cars expect brakes and tires. I had no knowledge of how much it would cost to charge at home... if i knew about the cost, i dont know... maybe i wouldve gotten a model 3 with extended range and vip parking spots at luxury malls. I am saying this because it is for your wife.

I still love my 330e because i need that smell of gas when i drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 08:03 PM   #8
ethan1
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

My starter battery also got replaced at 42k miles under warranty. I looked at the bill. The battery itself was around 200 and including labor, totals about 500. They also replaced the starter motor for me, which was another grand. All in, it was a 1600 repair bill. Thank god I didn't have to pay for any of it.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 12:29 AM   #9
Jakki2
BMW's for life tai jotain....
Finland
Rep
Drives: F30 330e 2016

I bought second hand - 2017 sold (2016 manufactured) 330e which had only 35kkm driven.
It has been great experience so far, hybrid stuff works great, battery is giving me 25km on summer - waiting keenly on winter distance here in finland
don't have any hybrid to compare to - but as a car, this is great.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 04:37 PM   #10
EMPM
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 330e

Late to the game on this, but I own a 2016 330e w/50,099 miles. I had the battery replaced under warranty last year that everyone else is discussing. However, the compressor that works for both the ac system as well as to cool the hybrid batteries just went out. If they just have to replace the compressor, the dealer is going to charge me $3,862. If any metal from the compressor got into the cooling lines, it is going to be $10,600. They told me they have 2 others in the shop with the same issue, the first has just the compressor issue and the other has the metal in the lines. I am waiting to hear back from them as to which it will be on my car. It makes me really wish I would have bought the 328d that I had considered when I bought the 330e.
Appreciate 0