F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2017 F32 435d x-drive alignment
proTUNING Freaks

09-27-2021, 04:42 PM   #1
jbossjatman
Registered
Rep
Drives: 435xd

2017 F32 435d x-drive alignment

Hi all,

I've had a number of BMWs over the years (318i, 118d, Alpina B10) and I now have a 2017 435d x-drive.

I noticed that the nearside front wheel (left front) seemed to have a different camber to the other front wheel.

I took it to an alignment centre - who gave me this report and said that they'd aligned i and it was all good to go.

I don't really understand why the left and right front wheel cambers are so different (after alignment) and whether this is normal or OK?

The car is an F32 coupe, 2017, M Sport Plus (with blue brake calipers) and 19" wheels and is an x-drive.

I can see that the alignment report states "rear wheel drive" so I think they may have aligned against the wrong spec.

Does anyone know the correct alignment spec for this car?

It doesn't seem normal to me to have such a difference in camber on the 2 front wheels - can anyone explain this?

Thanks in advance for any help.
JBoss
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 05:08 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Some strange figures in the print out. NSF it out of camber tolerance, as is OSR. Rear toe is not at all equal, putting the thrust angle off 0.00.

I'm wondering if there are some worn components. Mileage may be a clue.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 05:17 PM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

BTW, if the NSF camber error it not caused by worn components or accident damage, there is a camber correction, strut knuckle/carrier, giving a -30min correction. Expensive, but is a solution.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 01:54 AM   #4
jbossjatman
Registered
Rep

Hi HighlandPete,

Thanks for your replies...

The report says "all rear wheel drive models" -- my car is actually an x-drive so I'm not sure the correct settings were used.

In any case, the car has done 92K miles - and I do think it's been in a front end collision - I'm working with the dealer to resolve this as I've only just bought it.

Any idea what the correct settings for an x-drive would be?

Any idea why the front left and right cambers are so different? Shouldn't they be the same? Or isn't that an issue?

Thanks,
JBoss
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 04:11 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbossjatman View Post
Hi HighlandPete,

Thanks for your replies...

The report says "all rear wheel drive models" -- my car is actually an x-drive so I'm not sure the correct settings were used.

In any case, the car has done 92K miles - and I do think it's been in a front end collision - I'm working with the dealer to resolve this as I've only just bought it.

Any idea what the correct settings for an x-drive would be?

Any idea why the front left and right cambers are so different? Shouldn't they be the same? Or isn't that an issue?

Thanks,
JBoss
I wouldn't be too concerned about RWD vs. xDrive geo' settings at this stage. Something is wrong for the cambers to be so different. Tolerances LH/RH are the same, as you can see from the target values.

Accident damage may explain it.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 04:01 AM   #6
jbossjatman
Registered
Rep

Hi,

I've spoken to the place where the alignment was checked. The local BMW main dealer recommends the alignment place and says they have a good reputation.

The aligner says that many BMWs, fresh from the factory, are out of spec re alignment and they have to correct them - and that they normally add a negative camber to the nearside front wheel to counter the road camber - to ensure the car doesn't pull on normal UK roads.

So, they're not concerned about the difference in camber between the 2 front wheels - as long as it drives well and doesn't pull.

It's certainly the first time I've heard about adding negative camber to the NSF in this way.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
JBoss
Appreciate 0