F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Training and exercise thread
ARMA SPEED

12-07-2020, 05:34 PM   #89
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
Training's a bastard and most of the time, a disappointment! If it's any consolation I went back to climbing last week for the first time since the end of February. Wow, that was hard work. The last time I climbed indoors I was on sighting 7a's at the local 25m wall (an element of endurance builds the grade there tbh) and projecting some 7b's. And the struggle on day one of being back? A slightly overhanging 6b

We actually got a day outside on rock last weekend too which was cool...polished, worn out limestone on a slightly smeggy and damp day but still, it was climbing outside on rock. Imagine climbing on a bar of soap. Suffice to say I declined leading anything, although my mate led a few E1's that I seconded (and even that felt awkward for the first two routes while I found my head!).
I always found that rock climbing was something I had to do regularly, or I just lost any ability to 'see' the face. As I couldn't get out regularly enough, I just stopped doing it.

Whilst the 1.1 seconds / 500m seems like not much, on a closer look at the data I'm not disappointed - it's actually a 2.6% increase in power output, from 165W to 169.3W, in 5 weeks.
The really pleasing part was that I got my hydration right, and didn't fall apart at about 70 minutes, unlike what happened last time !
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 04:26 AM   #90
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Strava is doing a little summary now it's towards the end of the year.

Naff all distances for me as majority of my workouts are Garmin 'strength' or 'cardio' but my take away is 251 Active Days in 2020 (so far...about to go do weights ) has kept my mental health on track.

Cheers all and get moving in 2021

EDIT: 253 now
Attached Images

12-28-2020, 05:44 AM   #91
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Good find on Stava, my figures all cycling, plus the e-Bike figures for commuting.

2576 miles, I recon that's not far off the milage we've done on my wifes car last 12 months. Aiming for 3000 miles next year.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 07:41 AM   #92
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Probably about the same number of active days as a normal year for me, albeit this doesn't include just going on walks from the house at lunch. However, that wasn't enough to make up for the 5km walk to and from the office each day that hasn't happened since February for obvious reasons so on the whole my true activity this year has been a lot less. And because of those restrictions earlier in the year, and a lack of days leading into winter, my height is significantly down on normal years, as is the distance. Most years I'm around 80-90k metres height gain and 3-4k miles distance between big mountain days, riding and running. Still, all things considered I suppose I can't complain! It also doesn't include indoor climbing days, or the few days I had out on rock before it got too wintery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
I always found that rock climbing was something I had to do regularly, or I just lost any ability to 'see' the face. As I couldn't get out regularly enough, I just stopped doing it.
I missed this originally. The first day outside for a while is always interesting while you try to get your eye in to both the holds and finding gear, although as I like big mountain routes something like a 200m VS tends to be fairly easy going and so not too much of a problem to come back to after a bit of time away. It's actually been interesting going back to the wall in the month running up to Christmas, things came back pretty quickly although I'm having to go steady on the fingery stuff to avoid blowing out any tendons - the muscles and brain are willing, the fingers aren't! Then again we went to a small local limestone lump recently and I had an absolute 'mare on it, I didn't trust my feet on the small polished edges and I didn't trust my hands either as it was so cold. I was unhappy seconding some routes I've even solo'd before!

Last edited by Ennoch; 12-29-2020 at 07:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
JustChris17485.50
      12-29-2020, 10:23 AM   #93
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I missed this originally. The first day outside for a while is always interesting while you try to get your eye in to both the holds and finding gear, although as I like big mountain routes something like a 200m VS tends to be fairly easy going and so not too much of a problem to come back to after a bit of time away. It's actually been interesting going back to the wall in the month running up to Christmas, things came back pretty quickly although I'm having to go steady on the fingery stuff to avoid blowing out any tendons - the muscles and brain are willing, the fingers aren't! Then again we went to a small local limestone lump recently and I had an absolute 'mare on it, I didn't trust my feet on the small polished edges and I didn't trust my hands either as it was so cold. I was unhappy seconding some routes I've even solo'd before!
I think the phrase you're looking for (and shamelessly stolen from Joe Simpson), is 'looking like an octopus on LSD'
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 01:26 PM   #94
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think the phrase you're looking for (and shamelessly stolen from Joe Simpson), is 'looking like an octopus on LSD'
Pretty sure I've read that line in one of his books, it sounds familiar. Critically though, it's no less apt or hilarious reading it a second time
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 09:41 AM   #95
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Signed up to my first event in 2 years!

Man Vs Coast 4th July 2021
https://ratracemanvscoast.co.uk/

24 miles trail run across Cornwall, in and out of the sea that sort of thing. Hoping 'you know what' does not scupper it but lets see!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 01:04 PM   #96
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I've never really got into the turbo trainer, so it's not been part of my regime.

However, SWMBO's birthday present in December (her 50th) was an Elite Zumo smart trainer, which means her old Elite 'dumb' trainer is sitting around doing nothing ... so I got it hooked up to my bike, and had a little workout on it.

30 minutes, 13.18 miles at an estimated 335W average (I think that's optimistic, need to calibrate the system to get a realistic figure), and I actually really enjoyed it - whilst utterly hating it at the same time !
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 05:45 PM   #97
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
I usually used workout 30 minutes once or twice a week ie a jog or HIIT and hate working out.
It occurred to me that If I did 8-10 minutes daily it could be tolerable. Better even 3 minutes 3 times a day 5 days a week. (like 30 squats 3 sets or 15 push up 3 sets).
Just started this week feel Metabolic rate is up not feeling cold anymore no idea if it will lead to any gains though but feel no stress when doing it.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 10:40 AM   #98
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Home Gym Bench Press
This has been on the cards for a little while now.
A few years back I was terrified of the century bench, 100Kg but I've been working at that for a while on current program.

Recently been training and hitting 5 sets of 5x100

So where did that take 1 Rep Max

125kg for me at 92kg too.

Lifetime Best at 45 I'm having that. (Racked at 130k but that was not going back up)

01-24-2021, 04:46 PM   #99
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep

After a shortish ride in the snow yesterday I wasn't really feeling another short day so decided to get up early and get into the local hills for a decent walk. I mean I love riding bikes but sometimes just being in the hills is what I need rather than any desire to fulfil an adrenaline rush, or go as quickly as possible. The local hills to me are the Pentlands and there's a running race organised by one of the local clubs called the Pentland Skyline which is a circuit of the main tops - sod running it though! It's been on my list of 'things to do' for a while but when the weather's good like this in winter I'd normally choose to go further afield into the mountains.

I'm glad I went out, it was one of the best days out in the hills I've had anywhere, let alone within spitting distance of the city, and really cleared my head from things. I saw the sunrise as I was driving up and was still two hills to go when the sun set. Not that it mattered, the last hour and a half still didn't need a headtorch as the moon was so bright. Brilliant. I would have been quicker but it wasn't a day for rushing, rather savouring the views and freedom of being out for a big day in the hills for the first time since last September!

Anyway, here are some of the pics:

The stats...
Appreciate 6
KRS_SN13495.50
JR16641146.50
robbiep1982.50
gangzoom1682.00
Wills28654.50
      01-25-2021, 12:44 AM   #100
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
After a shortish ride in the snow yesterday I wasn't really feeling another short day so decided to get up early and get into the local hills for a decent walk. I mean I love riding bikes but sometimes just being in the hills is what I need rather than any desire to fulfil an adrenaline rush, or go as quickly as possible. The local hills to me are the Pentlands and there's a running race organised by one of the local clubs called the Pentland Skyline which is a circuit of the main tops - sod running it though! It's been on my list of 'things to do' for a while but when the weather's good like this in winter I'd normally choose to go further afield into the mountains.

I'm glad I went out, it was one of the best days out in the hills I've had anywhere, let alone within spitting distance of the city, and really cleared my head from things. I saw the sunrise as I was driving up and was still two hills to go when the sun set. Not that it mattered, the last hour and a half still didn't need a headtorch as the moon was so bright. Brilliant. I would have been quicker but it wasn't a day for rushing, rather savouring the views and freedom of being out for a big day in the hills for the first time since last September!

]
Absolutely stunning pics, nice one !
A friend of mine lives in Linlithgow, and has some geat local days out in those hills too - along with going further afield when 'normality' happens
Appreciate 1
Ennoch2257.00
      01-25-2021, 09:46 AM   #101
saltyamigo
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Yes

We recently started a home gym room and have got a multi-gym machine.

Noob question, is it best to complete all your sets of one exercise then move onto the next one, or do one set then move onto your next exercise until you've done one set of them all and then repeat from the start again, or does it make little difference?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 10:21 AM   #102
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyamigo View Post

Noob question, is it best to complete all your sets of one exercise then move onto the next one, or do one set then move onto your next exercise until you've done one set of them all and then repeat from the start again, or does it make little difference?
It depends what you want to accomplish, really.

If you want to tone and condition, then do one set of everything, then repeat.

If you want to focus on muscle groups, all sets of one exercise and then move on to the next.

Or at least, that's what I was told 30 years ago, things may have changed since then !
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2021, 10:51 AM   #103
Yawn07
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 435d GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Home Gym Bench Press
This has been on the cards for a little while now.
A few years back I was terrified of the century bench, 100Kg but I've been working at that for a while on current program.

Recently been training and hitting 5 sets of 5x100

So where did that take 1 Rep Max

125kg for me at 92kg too.

Lifetime Best at 45 I'm having that. (Racked at 130k but that was not going back up)

Good lift pal. Wish I had better kit at home ☹️
Appreciate 1
JustChris17485.50
      01-25-2021, 10:54 AM   #104
Yawn07
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 435d GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyamigo View Post

As a beginner just do what you prefer. If you don't enjoy it you won't do it at all
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2021, 11:59 AM   #105
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenburton1305 View Post
If you want to add some fun to your fitness, try EMK Fitness on YouTube - amazing 20 min workouts that are themed with films, singers, etc.!
Looks good fun
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 12:01 PM   #106
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yawn07 View Post
Good lift pal. Wish I had better kit at home ☹️
Thank you, it took some building up to!

Home kit is definitely worth it, lucky timing for me but all done about 2 years before lockdown. Still wrangle with some indoor cardio kit but it takes too much room.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 12:22 PM   #107
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely stunning pics, nice one !
A friend of mine lives in Linlithgow, and has some geat local days out in those hills too - along with going further afield when 'normality' happens
Thanks! I always run away to the bigger mountains normally so it was nice to explore and enjoy the local hills, and feel like you're not right next to the city. Even with so many other people out it was still nice to find the more remote spots on the circuit which didn't see traffic from the 'quick walk' crowd. Even saw a brown hare on top of the last hill, but not on the one called Hare Hill! Having such a good day out on foot just about made up for leaving my skis up at my parents after Christmas. Legs felt it today though, I couldn't quite bring myself to go out for my lunchtime run, no matter how much I cut it short!
Appreciate 1
robbiep1982.50
      01-27-2021, 05:02 PM   #108
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep

Necessity is the mother of all invention as they say, and with all the climbing gyms shut and travel not allowed there seems to have been a bit of a discovery for climbing training, the gaps between the concrete sheets under pre-fabbed bridges. I mean what more could you want to do on a cold and wet Tuesday night but hide under a bridge like a vagrant while climbing concrete cracks? It might not be real rock but it beats sitting in watching the telly... My hands might take a day or two to recover, the concrete you're jamming them into is really quite rough!

Appreciate 1
robbiep1982.50
      01-27-2021, 05:46 PM   #109
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Necessity is the mother of all invention as they say, and with all the climbing gyms shut and travel not allowed there seems to have been a bit of a discovery for climbing training, the gaps between the concrete sheets under pre-fabbed bridges. I mean what more could you want to do on a cold and wet Tuesday night but hide under a bridge like a vagrant while climbing concrete cracks? It might not be real rock but it beats sitting in watching the telly... My hands might take a day or two to recover, the concrete you're jamming them into is really quite rough!
I mean this in the nicest possible way, but ... WTF ?

Myself, I was completely normal, andwent for a 4 mile run this evening - my first run of 2020, I've been spending probably too much time on the rower and the turbo trainer, and have found that I quite like Rouvy !
Appreciate 1
Ennoch2257.00
      01-28-2021, 02:24 AM   #110
Gritty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
I usually used workout 30 minutes once or twice a week ie a jog or HIIT and hate working out.
It occurred to me that If I did 8-10 minutes daily it could be tolerable. Better even 3 minutes 3 times a day 5 days a week. (like 30 squats 3 sets or 15 push up 3 sets).
Just started this week feel Metabolic rate is up not feeling cold anymore no idea if it will lead to any gains though but feel no stress when doing it.

Sounds like a good start. I stopped most exercising last Fall for some unknown reason? I'll give these short burst workouts ago to kickstart a routine.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13495.50