F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Thinking of a 2nd hand Porsche Cayman
Studio RSR

01-07-2021, 02:42 PM   #1
moonshine
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 718 Boxster S

Thinking of a 2nd hand Porsche Cayman

I'm toying with the notion of a 2nd hand Porsche Cayman as a daily driver... Would need to be a PDK
Looking like probably a sub 30k / 3+yr old, so probably a 981 or early 718.

Any thoughts or ideas? What to look for and what to avoid? Pros and cons? Issues?

Target Price?

Possibly happy with the 2.7 981, but might consider the 3.4 S depending on price. But would take council on that from those who know more

What options are essential / nice or not to bother about?

I guess I would like Nav, sports exhaust, heated seats and xenon / LED lights as a minimum

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 03:21 PM   #2
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...8;make=PORSCHE

Fair few in the 981 bracket, honestly I think for the better engine it's the way to go.

Shape and interior are near identical 981 to 982/718. Just one example posted above.
      01-08-2021, 03:35 AM   #3
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

When you start looking you will realise that the spec of every car will be quite different, as compared to say BMW, lots of things we take for granted on our cars, are optional extras on Porsches, especially with Boxsters and Caymans. with these you will also tend to find that many don't have lots of extras added to them, especially the less powerful ones, or compared to 911s.

So as to what is a must have, is always very personal. For a daily then I too would definitely go for PDK, and ideally cruise control. I'd also want some form of upgraded lights. I'm not sure if Bi-xenons became standard with the 981s, but on the previous gen they were an extra, and I absolutely would not have halogens on my daily. I'd want heated seats, and ideally the sports seats, which are more supportive, and folding, auto dip mirrors (an extra), on a Cayman probably the rear wiper too.

If you go 981 then I don't think it needs a sports exhaust, but certainly it is nice. I do think the bigger wheels look better, but I think PASM really helps to keep good suspension compliance.
Not sure I'd be too fussed about sport chrono, and things like PTV/rear diff would be a nice to have.

As for 981 with the NA engine, or 718 with a turbo engine... would have to be 981 for me, but perhaps for daily driving, the easy torque of the turbo might be preferable, even if the soundtrack isn't. And I'd always go bigger engined... apart from having more poke, they come with the bigger brakes too, but that's maybe more because I know it would do track days as well.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 3
moonshine849.00
DaveA1867.50
      01-08-2021, 04:19 AM   #4
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
I had a 987 gen 2 Boxster S. Obviously not quite the same, but some thoughts.

Mine had 19" Turbo 2 wheels, but didn't have PASM. This was fine when I test drove it on the dual carriageways and roundabouts of Milton Keynes, but when I got it back to the buggered roads of suburban Surrey, it was a nightmare, and to be honest ruined the car for me. So unless the 981 is radically different PASM is a must on larger wheels.

As has been said, pretty much everything is an option, so cars are all very different, and finding the 'right' car could take some time.

On the right road, it was brilliant, but never really fell in love with mine, and wasn't sad when it went, although occasionally I find myself looking at a nicely specced one, and think 'maybe'......
Appreciate 1
moonshine849.00
      01-08-2021, 04:30 AM   #5
Ronstein
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 2019 640i GT MSport

Followed the link onto Auto Trader and ended up looking at a couple of Triumph Stags and a 1979 Trans-Am instead. **MUSTN'T LOOK AT AUTO TRADER!!!**
- 2016 335D Touring M Sport X-drive
- 2014 335D GT X-Drive MSport
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      01-08-2021, 04:32 AM   #6
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

As with all of these "thinking of a new car" threads, its all about the use and your expectations and desires for the new motor. Are you going to be enjoying country roads and epic journeys in your daily or is most of it going to be pottering to and from work mainly in traffic? Do you want it for the fun of driving or because you want a Cayman?

You see as a daily driver, stuck in traffic, I'd probably go for the newest 718 I could get, in a nice spec, without massive wheels for suburban roads and kerbs when parking. But then I might also think that the driving position is very low, the visibility not great, the jealousy / damage factor in a populated area quite high and buy something more subtle instead. Its crap getting old and sensible!
Appreciate 2
moonshine849.00
JustChris17483.00
      01-08-2021, 04:40 AM   #7
RickLS7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435D, Boxster 981S

I have a Boxster 981S. As mentioned above, basic equipment is really basic - everything you expect as standard on other makes in an option on a Porsche.

Awesome cars, a big step up in quality and reliability over the 986/987. Prices are incredibly strong, earliest 981's are over 8 years old. A fully spec'd low mileage 981S can fetch £40k, the flat six has a loyal following and most are snapped up quickly.

The 2.7 is fine, don't feel you are getting a lesser car just because it doesn't have the 3.4. Options are very subjective, condition & warranty are more important to me on a used car. Saying that, mine is in excellent condition and has almost £20k of options and had a two year extended Porsche warranty when I bought it.

Have a look at these forums, lot's of good advice on here:

http://www.boxa.net/forum/
https://www.planet-9.com/forums/
Appreciate 1
moonshine849.00
      01-08-2021, 04:48 AM   #8
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post

never really fell in love with mine,
Kind of sums it up for me and my 992 C4S.

I sort of do love the car on the right roads, but am not (and never have been) in love with the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 04:53 AM   #9
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
Kind of sums it up for me and my 992 C4S.

I sort of do love the car on the right roads, but am not (and never have been) in love with the car.
I was the same with the CayR, respected it but never loved it. Now Lotus that is a different matter altogether..................
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 06:10 AM   #10
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
I think, from my perspective, they are a bit 'Germanic'. Very efficient, but no real character. That's fine in a practical family estate, but not what I want from a fun sports car.

Ironically, whilst I can't see myself going for another Boxster, or Cayman / 911, if I was in the market for a large SUV, the Cayenne would be high on the list

Although I wouldn't want to put moonshine off, and totally understand why they are so popular
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 07:08 AM   #11
RickLS7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I love mine (and the one before). Guess we are all different and there are cars that others rate highly which I don't.

I will say that the Cayman & Boxster are easy cars to live with and use daily but the grip and balance is right up there with the very best. The flat 6 really howls especially with the sports exhaust - even if the banging and popping is well over the top.

The 718 is a great car, another step forward but it didn't have that emotional attachment due to the 4 cylinder sound for me. It's lost it 'soul' and sounds like a tractor on tickover when cold. Even the new 4L flat 6 doesn't sound as good as a 981, the petrol particulate filters have really muted it.
Appreciate 2
isleaiw18750.00
moonshine849.00
      01-08-2021, 07:22 AM   #12
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
As with all of these "thinking of a new car" threads, its all about the use and your expectations and desires for the new motor. Are you going to be enjoying country roads and epic journeys in your daily or is most of it going to be pottering to and from work mainly in traffic? Do you want it for the fun of driving or because you want a Cayman?

You see as a daily driver, stuck in traffic, I'd probably go for the newest 718 I could get, in a nice spec, without massive wheels for suburban roads and kerbs when parking. But then I might also think that the driving position is very low, the visibility not great, the jealousy / damage factor in a populated area quite high and buy something more subtle instead. Its crap getting old and sensible!
I totally agree. It's so hard to advise without knowing everything about the driver, intended use etc.

My next car will be a DD, but these days that means about 5-8000 mpa versus 20,000 previously.

This a manual is easily the right thing for me. PDK and cruise control I wouldn't possibly consider.

Only @moonshine can find 'the one'

Be prepared for a couple of sacrifices along the way on minor spec and a few nice inclusions you didn't feel were actually necessary.

Last edited by JustChris; 01-08-2021 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
moonshine849.00
      01-08-2021, 07:28 AM   #13
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLS7 View Post
I love mine (and the one before). Guess we are all different and there are cars that others rate highly which I don't.

I will say that the Cayman & Boxster are easy cars to live with and use daily but the grip and balance is right up there with the very best. The flat 6 really howls especially with the sports exhaust - even if the banging and popping is well over the top.

The 718 is a great car, another step forward but it didn't have that emotional attachment due to the 4 cylinder sound for me. It's lost it 'soul' and sounds like a tractor on tickover when cold. Even the new 4L flat 6 doesn't sound as good as a 981, the petrol particulate filters have really muted it.
Is yours a DD RickLS7? I'm not sure the glorious howl and pops and bangs would matter much for my 2 miles a day to the station (when back in the office) but a good temperament and easy to drive might....

This brings back memories of a conversation with a former neighbour - I had a mega miles Volvo diesel because I was doing 30k miles a year and who wants a Porsche for that.... he had a Boxster (2005 vintage, brand new) but as an estate agent in a less affluent area was running a clio as a daily as the Porsche sent out the wrong image. Its hard to get a nice car and actually really get use out of it!

About 8k miles sounds about right and not all in built up areas - think JustChris has it sorted!
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      01-08-2021, 07:34 AM   #14
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I think it's great that we do actually have a decent choice, and with sports cars there is arguably more breadth of character available, than there is with typical saloon based cars.

I am a definite Porsche fan, and the Germanic qualities are what I like, but I can completely see why others would prefer the flamboyance of an Italian car, or the Driver focus of a Lotus (in it's purest sense).

I'm trying the Lotus thing right now, for very rational reasons around the weight and suitability of them for lots of track use, but I'd be lying if I said my heart wouldn't rather have chosen a Porsche. My wallet has a part to play in that too of course.

I get in the Lotus and still can't over have cheap and dated the interior feels, whereas a Porsche has the build and feel of a BMW or Audi, but in a sports car, and that's what I am used to.

But the Lotus certainly has "character"... I can't imagine how horrific it would be to use as a daily though! A Cayman makes for a super daily in comparison.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 1
moonshine849.00
      01-08-2021, 09:25 AM   #15
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

I think most would struggle with a Lotus as a daily driver, I probably would have given it a bash in my 20's but I think regular daily use in a car like a Lotus would take away the 'specialness' of it somehow.

The Cayman is a fine car in any iteration, imo probably the best all round Sports Car on sale. The 911 is just too big now, when I visited Porsche Guildford back in September I couldnt get over how big it has now become, more a GT than Sports Car.

The only reason I am hesitant on going 'Cayman' is the fact i am not sure it will offer any significant driver enjoyment over my M2, the Cayman R was an amazing car and would run rings around my M2 but looking back I actually think the M2 puts more of a smile on my face.

Getting back to the OP, I would definitely go 6 pot but unlike many on here I dont think you need to add much, I would be looking for a colour/wheel combination that appealed, FPSH, lowish mileage and I would also look at getting a bullet proof warranty.......... and of course it would have to be a manual

Happy hunting
Appreciate 1
moonshine849.00
      01-08-2021, 01:32 PM   #16
RickLS7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Is yours a DD RickLS7? I'm not sure the glorious howl and pops and bangs would matter much for my 2 miles a day to the station (when back in the office) but a good temperament and easy to drive might....

This brings back memories of a conversation with a former neighbour - I had a mega miles Volvo diesel because I was doing 30k miles a year and who wants a Porsche for that.... he had a Boxster (2005 vintage, brand new) but as an estate agent in a less affluent area was running a clio as a daily as the Porsche sent out the wrong image. Its hard to get a nice car and actually really get use out of it!
I use it daily from March until October and the 4 Series in Winter or when I need to move the glider trailer around. The pops and bangs are a result of pressing the sports exhaust button which is optional. Would add that I bought a Boxster instead of a Cayman as they are pretty much identical in terms of handling and power, it's just the world seems a nicer place with the roof down.

Wouldn't get a decent car if I only drove 2 miles day, pity that poor engine that never gets up to temperature.

Mines currently in the garage:

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18750.00
      01-08-2021, 02:04 PM   #17
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I use it daily from March until October and the 4 Series in Winter or when I need to move the glider trailer around. The pops and bangs are a result of pressing the sports exhaust button which is optional. Would add that I bought a Boxster instead of a Cayman as they are pretty much identical in terms of handling and power, it's just the world seems a nicer place with the roof down.

Wouldn't get a decent car if I only drove 2 miles day, pity that poor engine that never gets up to temperature.

View post on imgur.com
Literally on its own in the garage. Not even a paint pot or Christmas decs box.
      01-08-2021, 02:18 PM   #18
RickLS7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The other side of the garage is covered in racking, there's all manner of sh*t on there.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      01-08-2021, 02:19 PM   #19
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

View post on imgur.com
Oh I give it a run every couple of weeks to get it properly up to temp and stuff. But its why I do it in a 5 year old Mini and not an RS4....

That looks a proper garage and set up... If I could get my second car in the garage I'd happily have a convertible for the weekend..... In my case an XKR though....
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 02:40 PM   #20
RickLS7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

5 litre V8? nice.

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 04:13 PM   #21
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
When you start looking you will realise that the spec of every car will be quite different, as compared to say BMW, lots of things we take for granted on our cars, are optional extras on Porsches, especially with Boxsters and Caymans. with these you will also tend to find that many don't have lots of extras added to them, especially the less powerful ones, or compared to 911s.
I find that quite surprising, having found that finding the perfect spec of 2nd hand BMW is quite a chore!

I've recently been looking at FK8 Civic Type R's (I know, visually not to everyone's taste) since reading the EVO car of the year article where it did very well, and always had a thing for Honda's having had an S2000 and currently own a highly modified EP3 track car, and other than colour there is basically two specs; GT and none GT!

After the frustration/enjoyment of trying to find the best spec BMW in my price range (headlights that actually illuminate the road, pro nav, decent brakes, decent sound system etc etc) half of me was happy that I could concentrate purely on colour and condition, and the other half was a bit disappointed that there was no challenge to find the perfect spec

Interesting to see that one of the Cayman's posted above was in the same price range as an FK8, however for me it would be an only car and I'm not sure it would be practical enough, plus the running costs on 20k miles a year won't be on the same level as a Honda or 330d
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 05:07 PM   #22
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

A friend has just got a 981 2.7 Boxster came out of 335i vert and he loves it says it's perfect.