F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > COVID Vaccine
GetBMWParts
View Poll Results: Will you have the jab?
Yes 191 87.61%
No 27 12.39%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

01-13-2021, 10:31 AM   #23
AlRex
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Get off your high horse. Posts pointing out the truth are always a good thing. It’s just as irresponsible for vaccinated people to believe they can’t infect others and act in such a way if that isn’t actually the case. We just don’t know for sure yet and I’ve just educated someone of this.

Always got to nitpick and pick an argument haven’t you
I agree we don’t know for sure, but to me there is a chance it could help and I feel I will do my bit. Nothing changes in the home whether we have had the vaccine or not, we still wear PPE we are still as conscious about cleanliness as before but there is a glimmer of hope that with a vaccine we may one day get us out of these lockdowns.
Just my opinion but I feel it’s the right thing to do to take the vaccine.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:37 AM   #24
garyfried
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 435ix

My wife and I will both get the jab, and we would of got it on day one if possible but in Canada the roll out is very slow. It is unfortunate that the testing could not have been longer but this Covid 19 needs to be tackled head on and NOW. Anyone not wanting a vaccine step out of the line and make room for those wanting one. Tired of wearing a mask.
Appreciate 2
Th3Walrus340.50
Russbmw680.00
      01-13-2021, 11:10 AM   #25
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
Guys this is a post about the vaccine - please take any personal bitching offline and do not hijack this thread. Thanks.
As soon as I saw the thread title I knew it would head south if someone even questioned the vaccine. Most similar threads elsewhere have gone the same way.

The important thing is that we all have a choice.

I voted yes, simply due to age and it sounds quite nasty. I'm aware there's no evidence that getting vaccinated will stop me spreading it however, so we still need to keep our guard up. I visit some countries that probably won't see the vaccine for along time hence It's important that we're fully aware of the facts.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 12:03 PM   #26
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Didn’t vote because my answers not as straightforward.

Yes - eventually (perhaps next winter) providing no delayed adverse events crop up over the course of the year.

I’d also prefer to take a Jab once you have the luxury of choosing which one of the Jabs you want, and when they are able to start giving you the second Jab at the correct time (as in the trials) rather than delayed a couple of extra months.
This might not be quite what you meant, but if people approach this either on the basis of a) assuming that a vaccination centre is going to be a medical 'restaurant' where "sir/madam" is provided with a menu, or, b) pushing for their vaccine 'of choice' (i.e. they get blinkered by the published efficacy of each vaccination; a head-to-head comparison) so that they feel that they've received a superior drug, then they've missed the point of the mass vaccination programme by a country mile.

Whether a particular vaccine is 50% effective after the first jab and 70% effective after the second, or 70%/95%, is largely immaterial to the benefit to the overall population. The government has taken the wise choice (makes a change) to achieve a good level of protection for the many, quickly, rather than the 'highest' level of protection for each individual over a much longer period of time.

Achieving 70% protection for 1M people has a far greater benefit than 95% protection for 500K.

Reducing the overall infection level is what it's all about.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 3
Th3Walrus340.50
Russbmw680.00
      01-13-2021, 12:07 PM   #27
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

I'll absolutely have the vaccine, whichever one is available. They've all been proven to be safe (very safe) and the side effect profile appears to be low.

Just a matter of the 25M people ahead of me in the queue, but there's plenty of people with a much higher risk profile than me.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 3
      01-13-2021, 12:12 PM   #28
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
This might not be quite what you meant, but if people approach this either on the basis of a) assuming that a vaccination centre is going to be a medical 'restaurant' where "sir/madam" is provided with a menu, or, b) pushing for their vaccine 'of choice' (i.e. they get blinkered by the published efficacy of each vaccination; a head-to-head comparison) so that they feel that they've received a superior drug, then they've missed the point of the mass vaccination programme by a country mile.

Whether a particular vaccine is 50% effective after the first jab and 70% effective after the second, or 70%/95%, is largely immaterial to the benefit to the overall population. The government has taken the wise choice (makes a change) to achieve a good level of protection for the many, quickly, rather than the 'highest' level of protection for each individual over a much longer period of time.

Achieving 70% protection for 1M people has a far greater benefit than 95% protection for 500K.

To be honest from a personal point of view, I’ll be researching any delayed adverse events from each vaccine after millions have received them for many months and choosing the one that’s least likely to cause any health issues down the line, when I eventually get vaccinated.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 12:52 PM   #29
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Good that so many have said yes. Up to date stats on the link. Shows a good increase. 185,000 vaccinations carried out Tuesday, up from 140,000 Monday.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistic...-vaccinations/
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 01:00 PM   #30
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:

To be honest from a personal point of view, I’ll be researching any delayed adverse events from each vaccine after millions have received them for many months and choosing the one that’s least likely to cause any health issues down the line, when I eventually get vaccinated.
But surely they are not going to give you a choice? Or are you assuming that you will be able to find a private provider who will?

I don't know what you do for a living, assume it's not medical, but I think you put an awful lot of faith into your own judgement - based on a bit of internet research rather than professional training. If you're a vaccine expert by profession then I take it back.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 2
      01-13-2021, 01:14 PM   #31
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I'll take the vaccine if it's offered and urge everyone else to the sooner we're all out of this the better, I just hope they make a better job rolling it out than they do sourcing food parcels for poor children.
      01-13-2021, 01:19 PM   #32
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

I will be having the vaccine as soon as it's offered and don't really understand why anyone would refuse something approved by the MHRA. I can only assume it's because they think any potential side-effects of the vaccine are likely to be worse than catching the virus but, while that's their prerogative, you'd surely have to be in a very low risk group to think like that?

However, whilst saying I'd have the vaccine, I'd also be under no illusions that I could still catch Covid and spread it. From what I understand the current evidence is that the vaccines prevent you developing severe symptoms but don't necessarily stop you catching the virus and being a carrier; there are suggestions they might do that as well but I'm not aware of any evidence confirming that to be the case?
Appreciate 2
      01-13-2021, 01:32 PM   #33
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Couple of No votes so far - would be interested in finding out from those people reasons for voting not to have it.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 01:34 PM   #34
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
I will be having the vaccine as soon as it's offered and don't really understand why anyone would refuse something approved by the MHRA. I can only assume it's because they think any potential side-effects of the vaccine are likely to be worse than catching the virus but, while that's their prerogative, you'd surely have to be in a very low risk group to think like that?

However, whilst saying I'd have the vaccine, I'd also be under no illusions that I could still catch Covid and spread it. From what I understand the current evidence is that the vaccines prevent you developing severe symptoms but don't necessarily stop you catching the virus and being a carrier; there are suggestions they might do that as well but I'm not aware of any evidence confirming that to be the case?
Let’s hope they get the supply and ramp up as quickly as possible. 1,564 deaths reported today, and it doesn’t feel like the peak, given lag and the amount of cases reported in the last couple of weeks. At least number of cases is showing the first signs of slowing.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 01:49 PM   #35
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
But surely they are not going to give you a choice? Or are you assuming that you will be able to find a private provider who will?

I don't know what you do for a living, assume it's not medical, but I think you put an awful lot of faith into your own judgement - based on a bit of internet research rather than professional training. If you're a vaccine expert by profession then I take it back.
Well no offence but you don’t need to be an actual expert to research stuff properly and find the right information out (no silly social media rubbish), just reasonably intelligent. I’m not a doctor myself but my brother is a consultant who works in a hospital, someone I can run past any of my own research on medical/health stuff.

As for choosing which vaccine you take, the government have even said themselves recently that people would probably eventually have a choice of a few vaccines. Some over 80s have even refused the pfizer vaccine when offered it opting to wait until they can have the Oxford one through some kind of old fashioned patriotism towards only having the British vaccine. Apparently they’ve been told they’ll be offered it as soon as it’s available at their practice (this was on the news recently so it shouldn’t be hard to find a link).

Personally I will only accept the vaccine which I consider to be the safest after plenty of research by next winter. It’s highly likely one of the vaccines could present more common serious side effects down the road than the others given the skipping of the 2 year observation period following the trials. If this is the case I will certainly avoid having that one.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 02:06 PM   #36
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Sign me up as soon as its available. Sounds like 24x7 will start soonish so if they have slots at 3am going I'm there.

Plus you get a free microchip and Bill Gates can call directly to your brain for a natter.

It does pain me to see some of my mid 40 year old friends spouting vaccine nonsense on Facebook. From people I'd previously thought as more intelligent.

I just do not get while people can't comprehend it was approved so quickly as they started many different streams of work at once as soon as data was available. As opposed to waiting for all the data to be released then start with limited resources. The Government gave alot of money and resources to do exactly what they did.
Appreciate 1
Ennoch2257.00
      01-13-2021, 02:06 PM   #37
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Good that so many have said yes. Up to date stats on the link. Shows a good increase. 185,000 vaccinations carried out Tuesday, up from 140,000 Monday.

Hopefully "vaccinations" means vaccinations administered, not vaccinations delivered. The testing stats were repeatedly proven to not be credible - tests delivered rather that tests conducted.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2021, 02:39 PM   #38
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
It’s highly likely one of the vaccines could present more common serious side effects down the road than the others given the skipping of the 2 year observation period following the trials. If this is the case I will certainly avoid having that one.
If you genuinely believe it's highly likely that at least one of the vaccines will be shown to have common, serious, side effects then I understand your reluctance to have one at the moment. That possibility obviously has to be weighed against the potential consequences of developing severe symptoms should you catch Covid but if in your case you believe you'll be able to shake-off the virus relatively easily should you catch it I appreciate why you wouldn't want to take a vaccine which you don't consider proven to be safe.
Appreciate 1
Hooded1669.00
      01-13-2021, 02:56 PM   #39
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:

Well no offence but you don’t need to be an actual expert to research stuff properly and find the right information out (no silly social media rubbish), just reasonably intelligent. I’m not a doctor myself but my brother is a consultant who works in a hospital, someone I can run past any of my own research on medical/health stuff.

As for choosing which vaccine you take, the government have even said themselves recently that people would probably eventually have a choice of a few vaccines. Some over 80s have even refused the pfizer vaccine when offered it opting to wait until they can have the Oxford one through some kind of old fashioned patriotism towards only having the British vaccine. Apparently they’ve been told they’ll be offered it as soon as it’s available at their practice (this was on the news recently so it shouldn’t be hard to find a link).

Personally I will only accept the vaccine which I consider to be the safest after plenty of research by next winter. It’s highly likely one of the vaccines could present more common serious side effects down the road than the others given the skipping of the 2 year observation period following the trials. If this is the case I will certainly avoid having that one.
Ok, I'd pop anyone who refuses a vaccine based on brand to the back of the queue right now. Back of the queue as in "we will call you in a year or two".

As has been said before, it's a good job that not all under-50s are taking your view of waiting for more data. We would be in lockdown for an awfully long time, if the vote in this poll was 98% no.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 2
Ennoch2257.00
Russbmw680.00
      01-13-2021, 02:59 PM   #40
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hopefully "vaccinations" means vaccinations administered, not vaccinations delivered. The testing stats were repeatedly proven to not be credible - tests delivered rather that tests conducted.
Let’s hope so
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 03:11 PM   #41
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post

The U.K. wide figure is 224,000 vaccinated on Tuesday according to C4 factcheck, which is 1.568 million per week, up from 165,000 the day before.

Anecdotally, my parents (late 70s no underlying health issues) both received their Pfizer jab today at the local health centre. Apparently it didn’t seem to be stretched at all. If that’s representative of other places too, stepping up to 3 million a week once more places are giving it looks feasible. My money is on them hitting their mid February target for the over 70s, except for a tiny minority.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...nation-targets
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 03:21 PM   #42
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
If you genuinely believe it's highly likely that at least one of the vaccines will be shown to have common, serious, side effects then I understand your reluctance to have one at the moment. That possibility obviously has to be weighed against the potential consequences of developing severe symptoms should you catch Covid but if in your case you believe you'll be able to shake-off the virus relatively easily should you catch it I appreciate why you wouldn't want to take a vaccine which you don't consider proven to be safe.
Agree, and if I were 80 years old I would certainly take a punt on the vaccine as soon as it’s offered, since the risk from covid is too great at that age.

I personally believe it’s prudent for someone under 50 and in good health who’s only at a 0.1/2% risk of death from the virus to wait until next winter/flu season though before picking which particular vaccine they favour.
Appreciate 1
JNW13122.00
      01-13-2021, 03:26 PM   #43
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Ok, I'd pop anyone who refuses a vaccine based on brand to the back of the queue right now. Back of the queue as in "we will call you in a year or two".

As has been said before, it's a good job that not all under-50s are taking your view of waiting for more data. We would be in lockdown for an awfully long time, if the vote in this poll was 98% no.
Luckily their doctor wasn’t you ..although I must admit the old dears refusing the vaccine simply because they want to get the ‘British one’ is a bit silly.

The majority of under 50’s won’t get offered it until the autumn anyway so they can do exactly what I’m doing if they choose and it’ll make no difference
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 03:40 PM   #44
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
It's a qualified 'yes' from me.

I have various concerns over the efficacy of the Oxford vaccine (which is most likely what I'll get), the extended delay between doses and potential lack of social distancing at vaccination centres, but I figure the alternative is the 0% efficacy my immune system currently has.

I hope for everyone's sake that we all get the solution we want and the protection we need.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 1
Hooded1669.00
Closed Thread