F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Ohlins Road & Track BMW 3-Series F30
GetBMWParts

12-08-2017, 05:49 PM   #89
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Ohlins, as far as I know, do not allow their authorized dealers to sell through Amazon or Wallmart.
"Modern Automotive Performance"
      12-11-2017, 12:26 PM   #90
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

Yeah I would never buy these from Walmart or Amazon. I like to support forum vendors. I was just shocked to find them available from WalMart when doing a quick Google search.

Quote:
Ohlins, as far as I know, do not allow their authorized dealers to sell through Amazon or Wallmart.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 01:14 PM   #91
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
Yeah I would never buy these from Walmart or Amazon. I like to support forum vendors. I was just shocked to find them available from WalMart when doing a quick Google search.
Amazon is getting into the grocery business so I guess we shouldn't be surprised to find both Walmart and Amazon trying to sell Ohlins. In the future maybe we can all buy our BMWs from Amazon with Prime and have it in our driveway in 2 days!
Appreciate 1
Polo088161604.00
      12-12-2017, 11:12 AM   #92
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
Amazon is getting into the grocery business so I guess we shouldn't be surprised to find both Walmart and Amazon trying to sell Ohlins. In the future maybe we can all buy our BMWs from Amazon with Prime and have it in our driveway in 2 days!
I would have thought Ohlins is a protected line available only through direct dealers. I guess the direct dealer base wasn't moving enough product to support this exclusive approach.
      12-12-2017, 11:44 AM   #93
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
I would have thought Ohlins is a protected line available only through direct dealers. I guess the direct dealer base wasn't moving enough product to support this exclusive approach.
Authorized dealers aren't allowed to sell through Amazon. However, retailers who buy from a distributor aren't restricted by such a policy.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #94
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Can the dampening adjustment be made in the rear without removing the shocks. It seems this was an issue with the KW's but not sure about it with other manufacturers.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 02:24 PM   #95
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can the dampening adjustment be made in the rear without removing the shocks. It seems this was an issue with the KW's but not sure about it with other manufacturers.
No, you do not have to remove the rear damper. The adjustment knob is towards the bottom of the damper. See photo.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 02:36 PM   #96
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Sweet!! Thanks for the help.

Quote:
No, you do not have to remove the rear damper. The adjustment knob is towards the bottom of the damper. See photo.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 04:22 PM   #97
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

OK so I have a couple more technical questions on these.

After close reading of the user manual it looks like several aspects of the system can be adjusted

1. Valve A (Compression Valve)
2. Valve B (Rebound Valve)
3. Damping
4. Spring Pre-load
5. Ride Height

I see how Damping, Spring Pre-Load and Ride height are adjusted, but how are Valves A and B of the DFV system adjusted?

SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 03:01 PM   #98
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
The adjuster on the front damper units is easy to access and operate : just turn the wheels to full lock and you can access easily. The wheel adjuster has a very soft, but precise, action.

The rear click wheels are actually fairly large knurled knobs and have a much stiffer action. The difficult bit is that the adjuster is adjacent to the suspension fitting, which is nestled among the multi-link components. I find I have to at least jack the car, and preferably get the wheels off, in order to make adjustments.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 03:09 PM   #99
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
OK so I have a couple more technical questions on these.

After close reading of the user manual it looks like several aspects of the system can be adjusted

1. Valve A (Compression Valve)
2. Valve B (Rebound Valve)
3. Damping
4. Spring Pre-load
5. Ride Height

I see how Damping, Spring Pre-Load and Ride height are adjusted, but how are Valves A and B of the DFV system adjusted?
Not quite. The dampers are parallel adjustable in that compression and rebound are adjusted using a single adjuster. 1 and 2 are therefore adjusted 'as one' and 3 , the damping characteristic, is a product of 1 and 2.

The dual-flow valves provide a very nice combination : enough suppleness to absorb secondary inputs, and great damping control with larger primary inputs. Coming off a large bump in the road and into a dip, you can really feel the suspension inputs being absorbed : no fuss, no drama, no crashing, just a firmly damped 'landing'.

Spring preload and ride height are independently adjustable, which makes a full setup much easier : ride height, effective spring rate, corner weighting, etc.

I've had R&T on my car for a few months now and wouldn't revert to OEM adaptive if you paid me twice for the cost of the R&T kit.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 06:01 PM   #100
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thank you for the detailed response. That was exactly what I was looking. I'm glad that the DFV is designed in such a way that rebound and compression are adjusted together in a way that compliments each other nicely. It points to a very well designed system. I can't wait to get these installed and feel the difference on the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Not quite. The dampers are parallel adjustable in that compression and rebound are adjusted using a single adjuster. 1 and 2 are therefore adjusted 'as one' and 3 , the damping characteristic, is a product of 1 and 2.

The dual-flow valves provide a very nice combination : enough suppleness to absorb secondary inputs, and great damping control with larger primary inputs. Coming off a large bump in the road and into a dip, you can really feel the suspension inputs being absorbed : no fuss, no drama, no crashing, just a firmly damped 'landing'.

Spring preload and ride height are independently adjustable, which makes a full setup much easier : ride height, effective spring rate, corner weighting, etc.

I've had R&T on my car for a few months now and wouldn't revert to OEM adaptive if you paid me twice for the cost of the R&T kit.

SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 01:28 AM   #101
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the detailed response. That was exactly what I was looking. I'm glad that the DFV is designed in such a way that rebound and compression are adjusted together in a way that compliments each other nicely. It points to a very well designed system. I can't wait to get these installed and feel the difference on the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post

One other thing to bear in mind is that the spring rates, especially the rears on the F31, are much higher than stock : 900lbs/inch (Ohlins publishes its spring rates, so it's easy to find).

As a result the ride is firm. Personally I don't find it crashy.
Appreciate 1
JaredG_F301106.00
      12-02-2020, 08:37 PM   #102
mike082802
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 135

hate to bump an old thread but looking a possible purchasing a set of these. are the supplied springs still the choice to go to? on my old e82 i had 7k/12k with ast 5100. i think the 340irwd will only see 3 or 4 open track days a year as the 2 yeard old twins tkae up all my time. i think i will leave the sways alone for now and possibly doing the rear subfram bushings which surprisingly seem rare on this platform. part of me is thinking 7k/12k or 7k/14ksprings with these ohlins but i know harold as sold a lot and give some valuable insight. can you PM me pricing please.
thanks
Appreciate 0