F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B58 MST Intake issue?
Extreme Powerhouse

11-30-2020, 09:52 PM   #1
mutebustnut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340ix, 2020 M2c 6MT

B58 MST Intake issue?

I recently self installed the MST intake for my 2016 340ix and I am kinda confused with the results. I cannot hear the intake when I rev in neutral and can only barely hear it when I let off the throttle in the higher gears. Every video I've seen of it makes it seem like a airplane but I can barely hear it with the windows down. I've driven close to 100 miles with no change and no codes. The only thing I think I notice is a deep growl that I don't think is coming from my exhaust but I wouldn't be able to tell as I'm a car noob. Did I screw up the install? Is my product faulty? Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 10:38 PM   #2
mutebustnut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutebustnut View Post
I recently self installed the MST intake for my 2016 340ix and I am kinda confused with the results. I cannot hear the intake when I rev in neutral and can only barely hear it when I let off the throttle in the higher gears. Every video I've seen of it makes it seem like a airplane but I can barely hear it with the windows down. I've driven close to 100 miles with no change and no codes. The only thing I think I notice is a deep growl that I don't think is coming from my exhaust but I wouldn't be able to tell as I'm a car noob. Did I screw up the install? Is my product faulty? Any help is appreciated, thanks.
I think this crack right on the pipe my intake attached to might be the issue. Can anyone confirm or tell me what that pipe is called it's the pipe between my intake pipe and the turbo.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 10:18 AM   #3
cmart
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive with MPPSK

following, I also have a MY16 340 and just ordered an MST intake
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 12:17 PM   #4
Hkilla00
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 340i

Quote:
Quote:
I think this crack right on the pipe my intake attached to might be the issue. Can anyone confirm or tell me what that pipe is called it's the pipe between my intake pipe and the turbo.
Looks like the inlet to the turbo possibly a boost leak. I don't think it's too expensive to replace while your down there might as well do the charge pipe
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2020, 02:21 PM   #5
mutebustnut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkilla00 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Looks like the inlet to the turbo possibly a boost leak. I don't think it's too expensive to replace while your down there might as well do the charge pipe
Ok thank you for the input I'll do that and update the forum ASAP
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 06:23 PM   #6
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

No need to replace charge pipe on the b58. I don't believe there has been a single failure of one. Check all of your connections and make sure the hose clamps are tightening. I can't tell much from the pic but if there is a crack that is letting in air that could have something to do with it. Do you have a rough idle at all?
      12-01-2020, 06:25 PM   #7
mutebustnut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
No need to replace charge pipe on the b58. I don't believe there has been a single failure of one. Check all of your connections and make sure the hose clamps are tightening. I can't tell much from the pic but if there is a crack that is letting in air that could have something to do with it. Do you have a rough idle at all?
My idle is fine but there definitely is a crack. I don't want to risk the chargepipe breaking so I'm just gonna replace it along with the turbo inlet.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 05:31 PM   #8
mutebustnut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
My idle is fine but there definitely is a crack. I don't want to risk the chargepipe breaking so I'm just gonna replace it along with the turbo inlet.
That didn't last long now I have a crack in my chargepipe💀💀💀
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 07:50 PM   #9
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

No way the MST caused a crack in the CP. Either damaged when you installed it, or it was a pre-existing failure. If that crack was substantial and an issue, it would toss codes.

I think you might be expecting too much from the intake. In neutral, you are throttle and RPM limited so you shouldn't hear much of anything.

Honestly, the growl is all you are most likely ever going to hear. On the B58, you always have the turbo as a "muffler" for the intake.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 04:00 PM   #10
uknowme
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 B48 320i 2016

Quote:
I have the same issue. Could you tell us what you’ve done and how did it go??
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 02:30 AM   #11
blacksapphire440i
Novice
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by uknowme View Post
I have the same issue. Could you tell us what you’ve done and how did it go??
I have an MST intake and I would recommend securing all of the clamps. I have the upgraded inlet pipe from bms tuning and it sounds super sound.
Appreciate 0