F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B58 cylinder scoring/injector failure <any and all experiences>
proTUNING Freaks

02-03-2020, 08:36 PM   #45
///Madgreek1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrath View Post
Interestingly mine has 13538625396 fitted, did yours have 13-53-7-639-990?

That alone would be good to document, also id like to know what kinda fuel you had been running, and if always serviced ect and if any injector treatments used?
I'm going to begin tearing down and documenting tomorrow, so I'll update as to what part number I had been running. Curious to see if any of the other documented failures were running the earlier p/n as well. That definitely leads me to believe that there may have been something known about the injector problem...
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2020, 09:42 PM   #46
Rockyca
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

Very interested to see the results. What does real oem list for your car?
      02-03-2020, 11:03 PM   #47
///Madgreek1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyca View Post
Very interested to see the results. What does real oem list for your car?
Realoem shows: 13538625396

But also says: supercedes 13537639990 (10/01/2015 — 07/26/2017)

(My cars production date was 11/12/2015)
Appreciate 1
eluded3035.00
      02-04-2020, 08:29 AM   #48
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Although I may not offer anything the OP is looking for, I will say you're a fish swimming upstream!

Did the MOD's you put on your engine actually cause the failure? Maybe and in all probability not, but their warranty exclusion will give them a major leg up if you try and decide to litigate. Unless you have very deep pockets and can hire engineers to support your claim, finding documentation and that "Unicorn" to prove your case online will be basically impossible. Fact is, they have it all, and you want to get a little piece. Only thing that may work is to become such a PITA, that they throw you a bone!

I'm curious though... And is a real question...

When the engine seized, did you have the car brought directly to the dealer? I'm curious because I would imagine, with such minor MOD's on a car, it would've been better to have it towed home and put all the stock parts back on, revert the DME to stock, and then had it brought to dealer. Ethical? No, but what they don't know, they don't know. "THEN" they would have to "PROVE" user error, or the engine was operating outside acceptable manufacturer tolerances. Just my $.02

Best of Luck thoughˇ

Last edited by cooolone2; 02-04-2020 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 09:11 AM   #49
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Madgreek1 View Post
Certified pre-owned but not by BMW dealership (Honda dealer, so not REALLY certified lol)

I believe they can see when the DME was flashed (not sure though), negating any arguement that it was the previous owner.
BMW dealers for certified pre-owned only. This car may have had pre-existing problems which your tune caused to worsen. The bore is coated and not sleeved so I can see custom work getting expensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 09:44 AM   #50
///Madgreek1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Although I may not offer anything the OP is looking for, I will say you're a fish swimming upstream!

Did the MOD's you put on your engine actually cause the failure? Maybe and in all probability not, but their warranty exclusion will give them a major leg up if you try and decide to litigate. Unless you have very deep pockets and can hire engineers to support your claim, finding documentation and that "Unicorn" to prove your case online will be basically impossible. Fact is, they have it all, and you want to get a little piece. Only thing that may work is to become such a PITA, that they throw you a bone!

I'm curious though... And is a real question...

When the engine seized, did you have the car brought directly to the dealer? I'm curious because I would imagine, with such minor MOD's on a car, it would've been better to have it towed home and put all the stock parts back on, revert the DME to stock, and then had it brought to dealer. Ethical? No, but what they don't know, they don't know. "THEN" they would have to "PROVE" user error, or the engine was operating outside acceptable manufacturer tolerances. Just my $.02

Best of Luck thoughˇ

Engine never seized, it is actually still driveable, just with a wicked misfire. And yes I did flash back to stock before I took it in. It didn't make any difference though, they could still see the flash counter was out of sync. So any tuner claiming their.flash cant be "seen" after reverting to stock, while there may be no trace of what the software was, BMW can definitely see that you flashed something.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 11:32 AM   #51
PURE340i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i & 2011 335d

Quote:
Engine never seized, it is actually still driveable, just with a wicked misfire. And yes I did flash back to stock before I took it in. It didn't make any difference though, they could still see the flash counter was out of sync. So any tuner claiming their.flash cant be "seen" after reverting to stock, while there may be no trace of what the software was, BMW can definitely see that you flashed something.
There is just 1 case if i recall correctly and it was a Mission Performance tune and it was covered under warranty, but i think this users spark plug broke and damaged the engine. They could of easily blamed the "tune" for causing a spark plug to break lol, but i think the Mission Performance M-boot helped BMW not trace back to the flash.

*M-Boot: M-Boot was developed by Mission Performance as an additional solution for all of our customers that either want to upgrade performance stage or "temporary" go back to stock for a dealer visit. Since M-Boot is a custom written bootloader, there is no additional chip/hardware needed to be added to the ECU. In addition of having the ability of reflashing the computer without sending it into our offices, M-Boot offers great features as Flash-Counter freezing and Calibration ID spoofing.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1652584
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 12:19 PM   #52
les anderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURE340i View Post
There is just 1 case if i recall correctly and it was a Mission Performance tune and it was covered under warranty, but i think this users spark plug broke and damaged the engine. They could of easily blamed the "tune" for causing a spark plug to break lol, but i think the Mission Performance M-boot helped BMW not trace back to the flash.

*M-Boot: M-Boot was developed by Mission Performance as an additional solution for all of our customers that either want to upgrade performance stage or "temporary" go back to stock for a dealer visit. Since M-Boot is a custom written bootloader, there is no additional chip/hardware needed to be added to the ECU. In addition of having the ability of reflashing the computer without sending it into our offices, M-Boot offers great features as Flash-Counter freezing and Calibration ID spoofing.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1652584
I think a lot of how these issues are handled vary dealer to dealer. Dealers in my market are super high volume, and I can tell that they know how to work the system- not in a fraudulent way- but in a way to delivers efficiency to them and their customers.

I would expect the smaller market dealers are simply not as good- bmw is much more likely to get involved on weird cases, etc.

Re M-Boot- is that verified? Is there more info on this system? This is major reason to go MHD > Bootmod3.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 03:31 PM   #53
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
I'm going to begin tearing down and documenting tomorrow, so I'll update as to what part number I had been running. Curious to see if any of the other documented failures were running the earlier p/n as well. That definitely leads me to believe that there may have been something known about the injector problem...
Didn't know if you missed my previous post or the other guys' or just ignored them, but, I highly doubt (although I'm super curious) you'll find a different injector part number.

According to Real OEM, our LCI's have only had 1 injector part number, the xx396. The "supersedes" most likely means BMW retroactively fitted BMWs using the older injectors with the new one, but it looks like we had the newer part from the get-go. That old part number doesn't even show up for our LCI B58's.

BUT, I understand your position, and wanting to be 100% sure you have the correct part number in question that caused the failure.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 09:33 AM   #54
jodimyer
Rep
Drives: 341i Xdrive

Fuel injector fail causing scoring on cylinder

1st time BMW owner here and not a happy one. I just bought my used 340i with 35,000 miles. 2 weeks after getting it, the fuel injector fails the day after taking it to the dealership for its 36,000 mile check up (they put Champion spark plugs in). So I take it back to the BMW dealership and they say they will cover that repair of the fuel injector under the warranty. Then... they get more error codes after putting the new injector in. Now the dealership says there is scoring on cylinder 6 and needs a new engine and they won't honor the warranty because they "claim" there was a tune on it.
I'm a mom, I don't even know what a tune is. And the used car lot I purchased from claims there was no tune. At this point, I am telling the BMW dealership that they need to prove that there was a tune and link it to my VIN or else I'm going to fight. This mama is mad.
Appreciate 4
JayFar101.00
teapain146.50
isenc2145.00
      06-29-2020, 10:17 AM   #55
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
@jodimyer

There is a (software) flash counter built into the DME. They can easily check if the car was flashed with an aftermarket tune.

It sounds like that's what they already have done. Going to be an uphill battle.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 01:07 PM   #56
StannisBaratheon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
@jodimyer

There is a (software) flash counter built into the DME. They can easily check if the car was flashed with an aftermarket tune.

It sounds like that's what they already have done. Going to be an uphill battle.
I'm not a lawyer but shouldn't BMW have known there was a tune during the inspection process before they sold the car that was represented to still have it's warranty intact?

If the dealership doesn't make it right then OP should escalate to BMW of North America and if they don't make it right then they need to decide if it's worth the legal costs to fight for a new engine.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 01:30 PM   #57
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StannisBaratheon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
@jodimyer

I'm not a lawyer but shouldn't BMW have known there was a tune during the inspection process before they sold the car that was represented to still have it's warranty intact?

If the dealership doesn't make it right then OP should escalate to BMW of North America and if they don't make it right then they need to decide if it's worth the legal costs to fight for a new engine.
You're not wrong in your line of thought but, she said she bought it from a "car lot" not a BMW dealer. Realistically the car lot had no idea the car was tuned and probably had no ill intentions.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 01:34 PM   #58
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Its sad that some bastard obviously bought the car... beat it to within and inch of its life and sold it. I honestly couldn't do that in good conscience!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 03:39 PM   #59
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodimyer View Post
1st time BMW owner here and not a happy one. I just bought my used 340i with 35,000 miles. 2 weeks after getting it, the fuel injector fails the day after taking it to the dealership for its 36,000 mile check up (they put Champion spark plugs in). So I take it back to the BMW dealership and they say they will cover that repair of the fuel injector under the warranty. Then... they get more error codes after putting the new injector in. Now the dealership says there is scoring on cylinder 6 and needs a new engine and they won't honor the warranty because they "claim" there was a tune on it.
I'm a mom, I don't even know what a tune is. And the used car lot I purchased from claims there was no tune. At this point, I am telling the BMW dealership that they need to prove that there was a tune and link it to my VIN or else I'm going to fight. This mama is mad.
Does the dealer have pictures of the scoring on the cylinder wall? Ask for those. Have a trusted mechanic look for metal in your oil due to the scoring. A compression and leakdown test to see how healthy the engine is.
Alternatively, a used engine is ~$3,500 + labor for install and fluids.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 06:21 PM   #60
f30b58pwr
Private
Rep
Drives: 16' 340i, 18' M3

jodimyer Was this car purchased as a CPO? Was it purchased at a BMW dealer or private dealer/private party sale? These factors would impact how they proceed going forward.

Which dealer have you taken it too and have you tried taking it to another dealer (granted they haven't already flagged your VIN)?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 07:49 PM   #61
eksigned
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4er

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
What sort of engine air filter? I'd look there first.

What oil were you running?
engine air filter? for a case like this? may i ask what the significance is here with the aftermarket air filter? i also have dinan's cai too by the way. i ask because when replacing the filter, i noticed a good amount of dirt and dust within the elbow behind the dinan filter. i took this as being normal (burns off) and went about my day. are you suggesting that a bad air filter could have led to this scoring and failure?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 08:53 PM   #62
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksigned View Post
Quote:
What sort of engine air filter? I'd look there first.

What oil were you running?
engine air filter? for a case like this? may i ask what the significance is here with the aftermarket air filter? i also have dinan's cai too by the way. i ask because when replacing the filter, i noticed a good amount of dirt and dust within the elbow behind the dinan filter. i took this as being normal (burns off) and went about my day. are you suggesting that a bad air filter could have led to this scoring and failure?
Yes. A poorly designed or ill-fitting air filter could case scoring of the cylinder walls.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 12:07 AM   #63
eksigned
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4er

Quote:
Yes. A poorly designed or ill-fitting air filter could case scoring of the cylinder walls.
can you elaborate? from particulates entering or...?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 06:21 AM   #64
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksigned View Post
Quote:
can you elaborate? from particulates entering or...?
It's possible that some dirt got past the engine air filter.

Of course it could be caused by something like over fueling which washes away oil film. It just depends on what the scoring looks like.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 02:09 PM   #65
jodimyer
Rep

They are claiming that they are not allowed to give me pictures or prove to me that there was a tune on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 02:11 PM   #66
jodimyer
Rep

I purchased it from a used car lot. I have not tried to take it to a different dealer as they have my vin. I've escalated to customer relations for second time now that they are telling me that they can't share proof of a tune.
Appreciate 0