F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > DSC Settings for Track Days
Extreme Powerhouse

10-22-2021, 07:02 PM   #1
indyjoeshmo
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Sedan

DSC Settings for Track Days

After two track days in my F30 335i with Hawk 5.0 pads, my rear brake pads only have about 20% pad left, but the fronts have about 60% left. I assume traction or stability control caused the higher rear pad wear rate. I was running in comfort mode with DSC fully enabled. I was driving smooth and only had one small slide where I know DSC intervened. My guess is that DSC or TC were intervening due to the inability of the open diff to put down power on corner exit. What settings do yall run during track days? Do yall see significantly more rear brake pad wear than fronts from track days?
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2021, 09:38 PM   #2
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjoeshmo View Post
After two track days in my F30 335i with Hawk 5.0 pads, my rear brake pads only have about 20% pad left, but the fronts have about 60% left. I assume traction or stability control caused the higher rear pad wear rate. I was running in comfort mode with DSC fully enabled. I was driving smooth and only had one small slide where I know DSC intervened. My guess is that DSC or TC were intervening due to the inability of the open diff to put down power on corner exit. What settings do yall run during track days? Do yall see significantly more rear brake pad wear than fronts from track days?
Your front brake pads should wear at about twice the rate of your rears.

This seems to be the case with F30/F80 chassis cars with original BMW brake systems.

You should definitely run the DSC in the middle setting or fully off. It's far too invasive.
Appreciate 3
      10-24-2021, 11:36 PM   #3
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
It depends on the track. BMW's 'e-diff' is actually called Automatic Differential Braking (ADB), which would kind of indicate it's used more for stability rather than power application. If you find the rear brake pads are getting eaten up quickly, try either widening your turning radius or slowing the car on corner entry, while emphasizing corner exit.

I use the Hawk 5.0 for street use but when at the track switch to Hawk's more aggressive pad, the Performance HB765N.664 - HP Plus pad for the fronts. I leave the rear at on the Street 5.0 and haven't found them to be aggressive used up but then again, the track I use has a lot of fast long corners. I run the car in sport mode leaving traction control and stability control fully engaged. Sport+, while great off track, has a throttle setting that I find to be a bit too sensitive for track use.
      10-25-2021, 07:59 AM   #4
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

DSC off while in Sport+ but take it easier on the corners.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2021, 05:13 PM   #5
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
DSC off while in Sport+ but take it easier on the corners.
Dsc off takes the car into comfort throttle so you get linear input.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2021, 08:34 PM   #6
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Dsc off takes the car into comfort throttle so you get linear input.
Yep hold down DSC while in Sport+.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2021, 09:27 PM   #7
Foxtrot3Zero
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Someone posted this a while back. Can't remember who or what thread, but I grabbed it for reference.
Attached Images

11-05-2021, 04:48 AM   #8
indyjoeshmo
Private
Rep

Thank you all for the input. I must have been unsettling the car during brake release/turn in and just didn't notice the DSC light since I was looking ahead for the next corner. I'll try running DTC and DSC off next track day to have better awareness of where on the track I'm losing traction.
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2021, 09:20 AM   #9
Itogliano
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 435i

Quote:
Thank you all for the input. I must have been unsettling the car during brake release/turn in and just didn't notice the DSC light since I was looking ahead for the next corner. I'll try running DTC and DSC off next track day to have better awareness of where on the track I'm losing traction.
I would advise against that for the time being and just deal with increased pad wear. Better to have to replace pads than the entire car...

When it comes to turning off driver aids, a good rule of thumb in my opinion is that you shouldn't even think about it until you understand WHY it's coming on in certain parts of the track. Regardless of the track, you should be able to drive the entire lap (consistently) without having your TC light come on at all
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2021, 05:08 AM   #10
indyjoeshmo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itogliano View Post
I would advise against that for the time being and just deal with increased pad wear. Better to have to replace pads than the entire car...

When it comes to turning off driver aids, a good rule of thumb in my opinion is that you shouldn't even think about it until you understand WHY it's coming on in certain parts of the track. Regardless of the track, you should be able to drive the entire lap (consistently) without having your TC light come on at all
I agree with your input. I have a decent amount of knowledge on vehicle dynamics and have done multiple races in lemons, WRL, and chump car without incident with no driver aids. That is why I was so surprised at the significant rear pad wear after two track days. Based on the chart provided above, I should not have had the elsd enabled, so my guess is it must be DSC cutting in without my knowledge. Maybe in DTC mode I would either be able to feel the slip by the time DSC intervenes or it would desensitize the DSC enough that it isnt eating up the rear brakes so much.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2021, 11:47 PM   #11
opinion914
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 N47

Have any coding-gurus found a way to prevent the car from dropping back down into Comfort after a long-press of the DSC?
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2021, 07:03 AM   #12
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by opinion914 View Post
Have any coding-gurus found a way to prevent the car from dropping back down into Comfort after a long-press of the DSC?
No that's the transmission. All it does is put the throttle into linear input so you have better control of the engine's power.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2021, 09:25 AM   #13
opinion914
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 N47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
No that's the transmission. All it does is put the throttle into linear input so you have better control of the engine's power.
I have good control of the throttle in Sport+ and dropping it into Comfort softens the curve a bit too much.
Hoping one day there will be a way to keep DSC inactive while in Sport+.
Appreciate 1