F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > A troubling situation
ARMA SPEED

10-17-2020, 12:38 AM   #1
JaxD
Probably fixing some broken shit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xdrive

A troubling situation

alright so I've done my fair share of searching but have yet to diagnose a true cause for my problem yet. A few nights ago I took my 2013 BMW 335i xdrive for a little rip down the highway. I ended up pulling into a parking lot at noticed a very rough idle.

Basically the car sounds like its misfiring. However a few conditions have to be met; A) it only happens during idle. B) the car must be at at least 200° oil temp. and C) The car must have run for about 2 minutes.

The car is running a stage 2 tune and several bolt ons and a straight pipe including a catless DP. However even with the car tuned back to stock the problem persists. There's no loss of power, no code, and no CEL (one did appear when the tune was removed but threw no codes, not even for the o2 sensors) and has since disappeared. I'm taking it to get a diagnostic tomorrow and have already ordered new spark plugs which I'll be installing soon. I'll try and attach a video so you guys can hear for yourselves. The engine almost dies and seems to rev itself up to 750rpm to stay alive.

A video of the situation can be found here:
2013 BMW 335i xdrive M Performance in Melbourne Red - Injen Intake, VRSF intercooler, VRSF Muffler/Resonator delete, VRSF catless downpipe, CTS charge pipes, SPEC stage 2 clutch, Bootmod3 Stage 2 91 Octane tune, Pure 750 turbocharger, Spool LPFP and HPFP, various carbon aero (One of these things is probably not working)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 01:39 AM   #2
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

Spark plugs / Coil packs
Appreciate 1
chowser512025.00
      10-17-2020, 01:03 PM   #3
Rockyca
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

Any codes?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 02:52 PM   #4
bellguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 440I M sport

Deleted
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 06:36 PM   #5
JaxD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyca View Post
Any codes?
nope, nothing on the misfire counter, no codes, not even when the MAF is unplugged. The shop I took it to believes there's either bad fuel or something wrong with the tune, however when the tune was removed the problem persistsed.
2013 BMW 335i xdrive M Performance in Melbourne Red - Injen Intake, VRSF intercooler, VRSF Muffler/Resonator delete, VRSF catless downpipe, CTS charge pipes, SPEC stage 2 clutch, Bootmod3 Stage 2 91 Octane tune, Pure 750 turbocharger, Spool LPFP and HPFP, various carbon aero (One of these things is probably not working)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 03:50 PM   #6
aps
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

making a similar sound to when an injector on my wife's X3 (N55) failed. but there was white smoke coming out of the exhaust then. but the sound is eerily similar. just a thought
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 10:56 PM   #7
JaxD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aps View Post
making a similar sound to when an injector on my wife's X3 (N55) failed. but there was white smoke coming out of the exhaust then. but the sound is eerily similar. just a thought
I'll probably look into new injectors, after running 3 tanks of injector cleaner with no luck I have a feeling ones malfunctioning and dumping extra fuel into the cylinder.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 05:15 PM   #8
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aps View Post
But you had some codes?
Generally a missfire leaves a code.
      11-30-2020, 01:39 AM   #9
JaxD
United_States
Rep

just felt I should put an update here in case anyone ever runs across this issue, I went against the advice of every service center I visited and installed new spark plugs. The sp for cylinder 6 was badly damaged and following that the car idled better but not great. After a day of testing and hard driving I blew my charge pipe wide open right on the intake manifold connector. If you are suffering from this issue I advise inspecting your vacuum lines and intake system as I believe it may have been cracked which in turn damaged the spark plug as the engine dumped too much fuel for the air that was escaping the crack.[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2020, 03:26 PM   #10
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxD View Post
just felt I should put an update here in case anyone ever runs across this issue, I went against the advice of every service center I visited and installed new spark plugs. The sp for cylinder 6 was badly damaged and following that the car idled better but not great. After a day of testing and hard driving I blew my charge pipe wide open right on the intake manifold connector. If you are suffering from this issue I advise inspecting your vacuum lines and intake system as I believe it may have been cracked which in turn damaged the spark plug as the engine dumped too much fuel for the air that was escaping the crack.[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
This happened to me as well. Blew an insulator straight off of an NGK spark plug. Swapped the plugs out to OEM Bosch plugs and all good now.
      12-02-2020, 08:26 PM   #11
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxD View Post
Just to confirm - the charge pipe was stock at all times? This is a classic issue of fuel mixture being incorrect for some reason (in this case the root cause is more clear).
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 11:36 AM   #12
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

More like classic case of running stage 2 boost and causing damage to the stock parts and leaks...
      12-10-2020, 11:26 PM   #13
DelawareBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive50i & 435i Sport

My vote is with the tune. Tuning is great and can really allow these cars to tap into all that unharnessed power but when you start tuning your playing with the manufacturers specs and headaches start to occur. I would check the plugs, the coil packs, and the connections. Heating and cooling causes things to expand and contract and something could be funky/out of spec when she heats up. You could also try cleaning the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) typically found on the intake jutting out the side. I had a 2008 335i that has something similar happen and it ended up being a faulty MAF causing things to get all out of whack. Sounds like something at temp is causing either something in the ignition or ratios to be out of whack.
Appreciate 0