F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > WIFI booster
Studio RSR

11-28-2020, 12:21 PM   #1
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

WIFI booster

Any recommendations?

It was all fine until a couple of weeks back until our street went off along with a few others, turns out it was an issue in the village, openreach came out and it took them a couple of days to sort it.

Anyway it was still intermittent for a short while and whilst it’s on now it struggling in the far wing of the chateau which in an issue considering that’s where our en-suite is and LFC’s bedroom so it’s causing obvious frustrations

Any recommendations for a booster? Do you just plug it in to the back of the router and play? Or is it a non starter?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 12:28 PM   #2
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

went with TP link m9 a few month ago. Plug in, job done.

3 storey granite house and get same speed throughout as at the BT hub now.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 12:32 PM   #3
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

Who provides your internet? most providers have modern mesh devices that extend the existing network. Better a device doing that. Eg If Sky and using sky tV depending on the contract you may be entitled to extenders for free until signal throughout the property
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 12:36 PM   #4
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgreenwood View Post
Who provides your internet? most providers have modern mesh devices that extend the existing network. Better a device doing that. Eg If Sky and using sky tV depending on the contract you may be entitled to extenders for free until signal throughout the property
We are with Vodafone 100 mbps.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 12:41 PM   #5
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

I don't understand why you think your wi-if has gone crap after the issue in the village? Your broadband being off would not affect your wi-fi.

Are you saying your broadband is dropping at the router or your wi-if signal is dropping at the end device? The two are different things.

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 2
Wills28647.00
      11-28-2020, 12:43 PM   #6
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
I would go with Eero if you can get stock quickly.

Previously used Orbi, but with one repeater it wouldn't cover the whole house.

Had Eero for a while and had no issues at all.

Introducing Amazon eero mesh Wi-Fi system | 3-pack https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WHMJ6..._HNPWFbPB56FJW

[url=https://www.deutschespeed.com/threads/the-bimmerpost-refugee-thread.561/]Car[/url]
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 01:03 PM   #7
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

I went with a nighthawk X6 to go with my nighthawk xr500 router and it was rubbish, kept dropping connection then not allowing device's to reconnect.
Ended up with a tp link re450, plugs in on the third floor stairs and all good now. Full WiFi in dead spots around the house and garden.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 01:57 PM   #8
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBitz View Post
I would go with Eero if you can get stock quickly.

Previously used Orbi, but with one repeater it wouldn't cover the whole house.

Had Eero for a while and had no issues at all.

Introducing Amazon eero mesh Wi-Fi system | 3-pack https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WHMJ6..._HNPWFbPB56FJW
amazon saying 2 to 3 months for delivery 8pm 27/11

looking at their remaining black Friday weekend offers this looked best value

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-WHW.../dp/B07CZ3YB51
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 02:09 PM   #9
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukka View Post
I don't understand why you think your wi-if has gone crap after the issue in the village? Your broadband being off would not affect your wi-fi.

Are you saying your broadband is dropping at the router or your wi-if signal is dropping at the end device? The two are different things.
The whole street had an issue and openreach sent out a couple of engineers to the main box thing in the village and we’ve had underperformance since, all of us, it still drops occasionally but connecting can be a problem, loads of different providers as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 02:29 PM   #10
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

We have a firewall (from bricks) so WiFi doesn't work in half of house.

I find TP link power extenders work great.

Highly recommend....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220K.../dp/B01LXOZ4EN
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 02:30 PM   #11
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

If its signal in the house then a mesh network is king. We have an Orbi mesh with two devices and it floods the house and garage. loads of stuff you can do on it as well if needs be, guest WiFi, disable devices etc. Bit pricey but so much better than boosters all round the place and devices just switch between the two units without hanging on to a naff signal as with routers and boosters.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 03:30 PM   #12
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d M Sport

There BT whole home is very good. We have that installed and it provides between 110mps and 150mps throughout the house on a 200mps Virgin line.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 03:44 PM   #13
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post
The whole street had an issue and openreach sent out a couple of engineers to the main box thing in the village and we’ve had underperformance since, all of us, it still drops occasionally but connecting can be a problem, loads of different providers as well.
That means the issue is before the Internet gets to your house. No amount of messing with the home wifi can fix that.
Appreciate 2
Wills28647.00
Rukka2647.00
      11-28-2020, 03:49 PM   #14
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So it's your broadband then and not the in house wi-fi causing the issue.

You can have the best wi-fi going but if your wired connection from the router to the provider is crap then you will still have issues.

If your wi-fi - and I mean your in house wireless network - was working fine before and nothing has physically changed on it then buying more "stuff" won't help.

Log into your router and look at your line connection stats. That will also show you any drops in the log files. If that is rubbish then take it up with your provider.

Just trying to save you some money

Appreciate 2
Wills28647.00
t5pilot977.50
      11-28-2020, 03:50 PM   #15
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
Quote:
That means the issue is before the Internet gets to your house. No amount of messing with the home wifi can fix that.
Exactly this

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 04:21 PM   #16
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:

You can have the best wi-fi going but if your wired connection from the router to the provider is crap then you will still have issues.

If your wi-fi - and I mean your in house wireless network - was working fine before and nothing has physically changed on it then buying more "stuff" won't help.

Log into your router and look at your line connection stats. That will also show you any drops in the log files. If that is rubbish then take it up with your provider.

I thought that was probably the case but LFC is having a hissy fit over it and is on about buying a booster hence me asking.

It’s been about 85% of what it was so not that good, I struggled the other night with the football but today was good

Like I said openreach had a couple of vans in the village fettling with it, we have a WhatsApp group for our immediate area and all had it go on and off for a couple of days.

I can just jump on 4G but LFC is on his PS5 and thinks a booster will help.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 04:35 PM   #17
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I thought that was probably the case but LFC is having a hissy fit over it and is on about buying a booster hence me asking.

It’s been about 85% of what it was so not that good, I struggled the other night with the football but today was good

Like I said openreach had a couple of vans in the village fettling with it, we have a WhatsApp group for our immediate area and all had it go on and off for a couple of days.

Tell him to stick to football as he obviously knows f-all about home wi-fi

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 04:41 PM   #18
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's been about 85% of what it was so not that good, I struggled the other night with the football but today was good

Tell him to stick to football as he obviously knows f-all about home wi-fi
I think it's frustration more than anything else, it really pissed me off the other night trying to watch the football, there was nothing wrong with it up until about 3 weeks ago.
Appreciate 1
Rukka2647.00
      11-28-2020, 04:46 PM   #19
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I think it's frustration more than anything else, it really pissed me off the other night trying to watch the football, there was nothing wrong with it up until about 3 weeks ago.
Hah Too many of your Neighbours streaming Netflix in lockdown 2!!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 05:07 PM   #20
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgreenwood View Post
Quote:
Hah Too many of your Neighbours streaming Netflix in lockdown 2!!
I don't think the neighbours to the right know what dial up is.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 02:08 AM   #21
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Had BT discs on our wifi 900Mb. Promising a boost of up to 20% in speed. Actually didn't help. So if one disc doesn't work you get another two free. Dot those around and the speed dropped across the whole house. Wifi complete will give you stable wifi on the third floor if you have thick walls but it's not worth it otherwise for speed. I'd look to upgrading router and as mentioned the TP link is very good. Router location is key first off if you are tied into a contract. Not on the floor or under the stairs behind old coats and a vacuum. Then the router itself and it's settings. Auto channel selection or not? Find a less crowded band if you can. 5GHz will give you a bit of speed but in a bigger house less stability on the top floor when router is on the ground floor. Lastly, check device compatibility. Older devices will lack the ability to benefit from higher bands e.g. a wifi adapter on the a/b/g protocols will not be as fast as one on an n rating or higher. Disc positioning or booster is also important. The booster works best closer to the router. Too far and it can drop signal too. In summary, a booster is not like a remap turning a 100mb connection into something more but can give you more stable connection in dead spots.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 02:45 AM   #22
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
Had BT discs on our wifi 900Mb. Promising a boost of up to 20% in speed. Actually didn't help. So if one disc doesn't work you get another two free. Dot those around and the speed dropped across the whole house. Wifi complete will give you stable wifi on the third floor if you have thick walls but it's not worth it otherwise for speed. I'd look to upgrading router and as mentioned the TP link is very good. Router location is key first off if you are tied into a contract. Not on the floor or under the stairs behind old coats and a vacuum. Then the router itself and it's settings. Auto channel selection or not? Find a less crowded band if you can. 5GHz will give you a bit of speed but in a bigger house less stability on the top floor when router is on the ground floor. Lastly, check device compatibility. Older devices will lack the ability to benefit from higher bands e.g. a wifi adapter on the a/b/g protocols will not be as fast as one on an n rating or higher. Disc positioning or booster is also important. The booster works best closer to the router. Too far and it can drop signal too. In summary, a booster is not like a remap turning a 100mb connection into something more but can give you more stable connection in dead spots.
The thick walls thing might be an issue as the rooms where the signal is poor ie LFC’s room is an extension on to the side of the house so the walls are actually the existing gable end so very thick.
Appreciate 0