F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > WIFI booster
Studio RSR

11-29-2020, 03:25 AM   #23
bytejunkie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d xDrive M Sport

sort lfc out with a couple of the tplink plug in extenders.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220K...s%2C171&sr=8-2

then get the street to raise issues with providers and get the actual problem sorted in the green box.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 05:39 AM   #24
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
Had BT discs on our wifi 900Mb. Promising a boost of up to 20% in speed. Actually didn't help. So if one disc doesn't work you get another two free. Dot those around and the speed dropped across the whole house. Wifi complete will give you stable wifi on the third floor if you have thick walls but it's not worth it otherwise for speed. I'd look to upgrading router and as mentioned the TP link is very good. Router location is key first off if you are tied into a contract. Not on the floor or under the stairs behind old coats and a vacuum. Then the router itself and it's settings. Auto channel selection or not? Find a less crowded band if you can. 5GHz will give you a bit of speed but in a bigger house less stability on the top floor when router is on the ground floor. Lastly, check device compatibility. Older devices will lack the ability to benefit from higher bands e.g. a wifi adapter on the a/b/g protocols will not be as fast as one on an n rating or higher. Disc positioning or booster is also important. The booster works best closer to the router. Too far and it can drop signal too. In summary, a booster is not like a remap turning a 100mb connection into something more but can give you more stable connection in dead spots.
The thick walls thing might be an issue as the rooms where the signal is poor ie LFC's room is an extension on to the side of the house so the walls are actually the existing gable end so very thick.
Daisy chain the TP link boosters. Job done. They basically act as nodes. You connect to a node and that's likely to be the closest booster.

Basically measuring the distance to the LFC room. Then half that from the router. Less than 5 will be fine with one booster. More distance = more boosters.

5G will be out soon and will clobber my 900 mb connection.

ciscopete822 any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 05:30 AM   #25
Ronstein
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 2019 640i GT MSport

Run a speed test at certain times for a few days and check against the SLA's your ISP sets. Also look at ping times. In an urban area, 4pm is a good time to check, when all the kids get home from school and hit the internet.

https://www.speedtest.net/
- 2016 335D Touring M Sport X-drive
- 2014 335D GT X-Drive MSport
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 09:45 PM   #26
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstein View Post
Run a speed test at certain times for a few days and check against the SLA's your ISP sets. Also look at ping times. In an urban area, 4pm is a good time to check, when all the kids get home from school and hit the internet.

https://www.speedtest.net/
Since I first contributed to this thread, I had a cable Internet issue. I noticed there was a loooong delay between hitting return and a page actually loading. Some ferreting revealed a ping time of 330 ms....to my cable provider in the same city. God only know where my Web traffic was going to have that kind of delay. This was on a CAT5 connection to the router. Rebooting my cable modem/wifi router fixed the issue. I wonder if the OP has tried a reboot.
Appreciate 0