F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Ac blowing warm sporadically then limp overheat tonight
proTUNING Freaks

06-01-2018, 09:57 PM   #1
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

Ac blowing warm sporadically then limp overheat tonight

Hey guys, here are the basics:
2014 335 xdrive (CPO)
42k miles
MPPK
MPE
———————-
So for the last couple weeks, I noticed that sometimes when I turned my car on to idle, pumped the AC at full blast 60 degrees, while sitting there AC was blowing warm. As soon as I started driving, it would cool down, then if I idled again after coming to a stop, the air would blow cold!
Thought nothing of it, scheduled my next oil change for 6/20 and also asked bmw here to diagnose this issue as well. All good
Drove home tonight, idled for a little in my driveway and I got a yellow "drive moderately, car is hot" Idrive warning. So I drove a little around my neighborhood and the car was in limp mode. Got back to my garage pulling in and then got the red "engine overheated, shut car off" alert and I immediately did.

So I'm thinking thermostat/water pump/ fan issue etc.... but would that be related to the AC blowing hot as well?

Next question, I have roadside with the CPO, should I use it and tow to dealer? I'm thinking yes...

Last question: I had to schedule my oil change due to lack of loaner availability which I requested....if a car is towed in through roadside, doesn't CPO guarantee a loaner?

Let me know guys, thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
loggin
Private
Rep
Drives: f30

I would be willing to bet that the car would not engage the air conditioner if the engine temperature were too high already , hence the warning.. That would only generate more heat.. You are probably right in considering the fan/thermostat/water pump as the likely culprits..
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2018, 08:00 PM   #3
classyfast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by loggin View Post
I would be willing to bet that the car would not engage the air conditioner if the engine temperature were too high already , hence the warning.. That would only generate more heat.. You are probably right in considering the fan/thermostat/water pump as the likely culprits..
Yeah that's what I'm betting on too....would also explain why it blows normal when driving after a couple minutes. I brought my car in yesterday, tomorrow should have an answer
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 07:58 AM   #4
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
2014 335 xdrive (CPO)
42k miles
MPPK
MPE
———————-
So for the last couple weeks, I noticed that sometimes when I turned my car on to idle, pumped the AC at full blast 60 degrees, while sitting there AC was blowing warm. As soon as I started driving, it would cool down, then if I idled again after coming to a stop, the air would blow cold!
Thought nothing of it, scheduled my next oil change for 6/20 and also asked bmw here to diagnose this issue as well. All good
Drove home tonight, idled for a little in my driveway and I got a yellow "drive moderately, car is hot" Idrive warning. So I drove a little around my neighborhood and the car was in limp mode. Got back to my garage pulling in and then got the red "engine overheated, shut car off" alert and I immediately did.

So I'm thinking thermostat/water pump/ fan issue etc.... but would that be related to the AC blowing hot as well?

Next question, I have roadside with the CPO, should I use it and tow to dealer? I'm thinking yes...

Last question: I had to schedule my oil change due to lack of loaner availability which I requested....if a car is towed in through roadside, doesn't CPO guarantee a loaner?

Let me know guys, thanks
No, you are not guaranteed a loaner because it's a "last minute" appointment.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
classyfast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:
2014 335 xdrive (CPO)
42k miles
MPPK
MPE
———————-

Let me know guys, thanks
Even if it's determined to be something cpo covers? I've had 5 cpo BMW's, and typically if all loaners are spoken for last resort is for them to rent a loaner for me.

What would be the point of a CPO really or having the emergency roadside assistance if emergency "warranty" work didn't guarantee another car?

I have to call bmwna on this one I think, just to find out. Hopefully waterpumps and thermostats are in stock at my dealer!!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 10:44 AM   #6
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
2014 335 xdrive (CPO)
42k miles
MPPK
MPE
———————-

Let me know guys, thanks
Even if it's determined to be something cpo covers? I've had 5 cpo BMW's, and typically if all loaners are spoken for last resort is for them to rent a loaner for me.

What would be the point of a CPO really or having the emergency roadside assistance if emergency "warranty" work didn't guarantee another car?

I have to call bmwna on this one I think, just to find out. Hopefully waterpumps and thermostats are in stock at my dealer!!
Does your CPO contract specify a guaranteed loaner?

Surely you've read the contract.

BMWNA has nothing to do with the availability of loaners because it depends on how busy your dealer is.

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 10:56 AM   #7
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I turn off the AC to get better launched. When I'm cruising I turn it on. If it is CPO it may be covered.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 11:01 AM   #8
classyfast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
2014 335 xdrive (CPO)
42k miles
MPPK
MPE
———————-

Let me know guys, thanks

Does your CPO contract specify a guaranteed loaner?

Surely you've read the contract.

BMWNA has nothing to do with the availability of loaners because it depends on how busy your dealer is.
I do recall it speaking to a "provided" car for warranty issues/repairs. You have me nervous now!! Lol. Need to check.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 08:02 AM   #9
classyfast
Banned
Rep

Update: not a water pump not thermostat issue, dealer apparently had to "reprogram" something....then re-install the mppk.

This morning got the same exact symptoms, hot air blowing after car was running in idle for a couple minutes, when driving it felt like the car was in limp mode but no "check engine" messaging this time.

Bringing it back to the dealer today again.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 09:48 AM   #10
loggin
Private
Rep
Drives: f30

Thanks for the update!!.. Sounds like the techs have their work cut out for them.. Please keep us informed as to what the problem is..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 12:15 PM   #11
classyfast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by loggin View Post
Thanks for the update!!.. Sounds like the techs have their work cut out for them.. Please keep us informed as to what the problem is..
First off, I love the guys at my dealer and recommend them for sales and service! (New Country BMW, Hartford CT) walked back in today with this issue and they got me on a rental on the spot!!! Awesome.

The shop Forman came out to my car, sat in, saw the issues went through the service bulletin supposedly that was issued to correct this. So programming was to try first, now it seems like mechanically they will have to do water pump and thermostat.... a quick guess by him was it was "sticking". So loaner for a couple days and we'll see what happens!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 12:20 PM   #12
classyfast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
2014 335 xdrive (CPO)
42k miles
MPPK
MPE
———————-

Let me know guys, thanks
Found out today this is solely based on situation....foreman said my car was undrivable and they got me in a loaner! Lol. Pays to be nice and write online reviews (as well as buying bmw's from the dealership I guess too! Lol)
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 02:53 PM   #13
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
2014 335 xdrive (CPO)
42k miles
MPPK
MPE
———————-

Let me know guys, thanks
Found out today this is solely based on situation....foreman said my car was undrivable and they got me in a loaner! Lol. Pays to be nice and write online reviews (as well as buying bmw's from the dealership I guess too! Lol)
Agree

Appreciate 1
      06-18-2018, 02:38 PM   #14
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

100% water pump welcome to the club, mine went out on friday had to drive without AC to keep heat lower, at 50*C ambient, thank you BMW
      06-18-2018, 05:20 PM   #15
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
First off, I love the guys at my dealer and recommend them for sales and service! (New Country BMW, Hartford CT) walked back in today with this issue and they got me on a rental on the spot!!! Awesome.

The shop Forman came out to my car, sat in, saw the issues went through the service bulletin supposedly that was issued to correct this. So programming was to try first, now it seems like mechanically they will have to do water pump and thermostat.... a quick guess by him was it was "sticking". So loaner for a couple days and we'll see what happens!
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-terkait View Post
100% water pump welcome to the club, mine went out on friday had to drive without AC to keep heat lower, at 50*C ambient, thank you BMW
So it came down to a water pump and thermostat issue?

Is a weak A/C but no leak a precursor for a failing water pump and thermostat?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 07:02 AM   #16
classyfast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-terkait View Post
So it came down to a water pump and thermostat issue?

Is a weak A/C but no leak a precursor for a failing water pump and thermostat?
Not necessarily. My car ended up having to have the fan, fan motor, relay, blow off valve and some temp sensor changed. After that everything ran perfect with the AC and oil temp. No issues since
Appreciate 0