F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Muffler Delete vs AWE Tuning Exhaust w/ Midpipe
GetBMWParts

03-22-2019, 10:39 AM   #1
AbuF33
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Hey everyone, I have been stock for quite a while now and currently looking for a bit of an upgrade for sound. As of now I am deciding between 2 options, getting a muffler delete, or going for a AWE Tuning Exhaust with performance Midpipe.

To start off, there is an extreme gap between price with these two options and I understand that. I'm looking to have a quality tone and some performance out of the exhaust but don't know what is better to spend the money on, and what to do based on the long run as well.

I've been told by many people, mostly the techs at the bmw dealership, that a muffler delete would sound just as good, while people who have heard and dealt with many different exhausts recommend I go the proper route with an after market exhaust. So this is where I turn to you guys to help out haha. I've had my F33 for just over a year now so I am still pretty new to things, and this being my first post I am quite eager to hear what you guys have to say.

(Another note is I have read other threads but haven't found a direct answer to what I'm looking for, as well as heard clips of the exhausts online so I'm a little familiar with that)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 10:45 AM   #2
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

My suggestion would be downpipe and res delete as a start. What part of FL you in?
      03-22-2019, 10:58 AM   #3
DrBall
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Personally, I have the AWE with performance mid pipe and I absolutely love it! I get tons of compliments on the sound (get some nice burbles too) and most importantly it passed the wife/baby test. There is minimal drone if any on the highway and when you're just cruising around the sounds just a little deeper than stock, but when you step on it... music to my ears!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 11:25 AM   #4
AbuF33
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBall View Post
Personally, I have the AWE with performance mid pipe and I absolutely love it! I get tons of compliments on the sound (get some nice burbles too) and most importantly it passed the wife/baby test. There is minimal drone if any on the highway and when you're just cruising around the sounds just a little deeper than stock, but when you step on it... music to my ears!
I figured haha I'm pretty sure it sounds completely different in person but I just don't know what to put my money in you know?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 12:59 PM   #5
streetrossi
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbuF33 View Post
Hey everyone, I have been stock for quite a while now and currently looking for a bit of an upgrade for sound. As of now I am deciding between 2 options, getting a muffler delete, or going for a AWE Tuning Exhaust with performance Midpipe.

To start off, there is an extreme gap between price with these two options and I understand that. I'm looking to have a quality tone and some performance out of the exhaust but don't know what is better to spend the money on, and what to do based on the long run as well.

I've been told by many people, mostly the techs at the bmw dealership, that a muffler delete would sound just as good, while people who have heard and dealt with many different exhausts recommend I go the proper route with an after market exhaust. So this is where I turn to you guys to help out haha. I've had my F33 for just over a year now so I am still pretty new to things, and this being my first post I am quite eager to hear what you guys have to say.

(Another note is I have read other threads but haven't found a direct answer to what I'm looking for, as well as heard clips of the exhausts online so I'm a little familiar with that)
I've been in the same boat, but I'll let you know how the muffler delete sounds after this weekend. I've wanted to get the AWE Touring Edition, but the price has been prohibitive for some time now for myself. So Monday night, I pulled the trigger on the VRSF Race Exhaust (muffler delete) currently on sale for $430.00.

I simply could not wait any longer, as my M-Performance exhaust on my 13' 335i had broken the baffle inside, and sounds like absolute shit. So any exhaust would be an improvement for me lol. Taking a vacation next month with the cash I saved ha!
      03-22-2019, 01:01 PM   #6
DrBall
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I figured haha I'm pretty sure it sounds completely different in person but I just don't know what to put my money in you know?
you could always look into a valved option, or go with the M Performance exhaust and then add a mid pipe or catted down pipe. There are plenty of options to work with and fit your budget.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 02:27 PM   #7
AbuF33
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetrossi View Post
Quote:

I've been in the same boat, but I'll let you know how the muffler delete sounds after this weekend. I've wanted to get the AWE Touring Edition, but the price has been prohibitive for some time now for myself. So Monday night, I pulled the trigger on the VRSF Race Exhaust (muffler delete) currently on sale for $430.00.

I simply could not wait any longer, as my M-Performance exhaust on my 13' 335i had broken the baffle inside, and sounds like absolute shit. So any exhaust would be an improvement for me lol. Taking a vacation next month with the cash I saved ha!
Does that have any drone at all?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 02:55 PM   #8
streetrossi
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Does that have any drone at all?
Not sure yet, just ordered it on Tuesday, and it's scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. Once it arrives I'll slap it on and take a video.

I'm hopeful it won't drone too bad, but I could care less as my MPE sounds like a tin can full of bees with the broken baffle lol. For $430 bucks if I hate it I'll sell it on Ebay when I can afford a nicer one lol.
      03-22-2019, 03:00 PM   #9
DrBall
Private First Class
Rep

for what its worth, supremepower was able to hook me up with a great price on the AWE touring and mid pipe. i'd hit them up for a quote
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 06:01 PM   #10
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Quote:
Not sure yet, just ordered it on Tuesday, and it's scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. Once it arrives I'll slap it on and take a video.

I'm hopeful it won't drone too bad, but I could care less as my MPE sounds like a tin can full of bees with the broken baffle lol. For $430 bucks if I hate it I'll sell it on Ebay when I can afford a nicer one lol.
It definitely will drone but may not be too bad with stock downpipe.

Here's a thread with some sound recordings, sounds pretty good:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1506821
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 08:14 AM   #11
AbuF33
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlev View Post
Quote:

It definitely will drone but may not be too bad with stock downpipe.

Here's a thread with some sound recordings, sounds pretty good:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1506821
Sounds pretty good but would it sound better than an OEM muffler delete with stock DP?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 09:03 AM   #12
F30NFifty5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i XDrive 6mt / e83 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanks21 View Post
My suggestion would be downpipe and res delete as a start. What part of FL you in?
I second this ^^^

Same set up I'm currently running... VRSF catted downpipe and resonator delete... check the last page of my thread to hear a cold start
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1560090
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 09:15 AM   #13
codestar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Model S P100D

Garage List
I just installed the new aFe axel-back valved exhaust on my 435 yesterday. This one uses the valve to bypass the muffler completely. I haven't had a chance to get a video of the new one but it sure sounds good in sport mode!

https://afepower.com/afe-power-49-36...exhaust-system

Best of both worlds in my opinion, a full bypass when you want loud, and a quieter comfort mode when you don't. Next up is catted dp and res delete because it's not quite where I want it with burbles and volume
Appreciate 1
mlev370.00
      03-28-2019, 10:25 AM   #14
outofphase
dad bod
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xDrive

I say try the muffler delete. I had mine deleted at a mom and pop muffler shop for $60. It took maybe 40 minutes. I can’t imagine it costing more than $100 i you find a decent muffler shop.

I still have the stock cat and it sounds great to me and I don’t notice any drone BUT I’ve driven lots of loud cars so your mileage may vary.

But hey at <$100 I say try it before spending the money on a serious exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 11:07 AM   #15
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by codestar View Post
I just installed the new aFe axel-back valved exhaust on my 435 yesterday. This one uses the valve to bypass the muffler completely. I haven't had a chance to get a video of the new one but it sure sounds good in sport mode!

Best of both worlds in my opinion, a full bypass when you want loud, and a quieter comfort mode when you don't. Next up is catted dp and res delete because it's not quite where I want it with burbles and volume
Thanks for sharing, didn't know this existed. A bit pricey for an axelback though. Would definitely be interested in a video showing the sound change between sport/comfort
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 04:20 PM   #16
codestar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Model S P100D

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for sharing, didn't know this existed. A bit pricey for an axelback though. Would definitely be interested in a video showing the sound change between sport/comfort
Made a quick video comparison of cold starts with and without the exhaust. I'll try to get a decent drive by and warm revs this weekend

Appreciate 1
mlev370.00
      03-28-2019, 04:43 PM   #17
AbuF33
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofphase View Post
I say try the muffler delete. I had mine deleted at a mom and pop muffler shop for $60. It took maybe 40 minutes. I can't imagine it costing more than $100 i you find a decent muffler shop.

I still have the stock cat and it sounds great to me and I don't notice any drone BUT I've driven lots of loud cars so your mileage may vary.

But hey at <$100 I say try it before spending the money on a serious exhaust.
Yea I did the muffler delete, and although there is a noticeable drone around the lower rpms I actually really like the sound, much more than I expected actually. Those videos really don't do it justice. But I would like to make it louder though with more louder but not obnoxious burbles, what should I do?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 04:46 PM   #18
AbuF33
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Made a quick video comparison of cold starts with and without the exhaust. I'll try to get a decent drive by and warm revs this weekend

Much deeper, and much louder. My opinion just from the video I can't tell it sounds much better 👌 how are the burbles and pops? And for sure make some drive bys and warm revs in sport mode
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 05:04 PM   #19
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

My favorite is REMUS , followed by Active Autowerke but if i had to pic between AWE and muffler delete , i'd go with AWE

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 05:39 PM   #20
AbuF33
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
My favorite is REMUS , followed by Active Autowerke but if i had to pic between AWE and muffler delete , i'd go with AWE
Does Remus have a louder exhaust note and more burbles?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 05:41 PM   #21
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Does Remus have a louder exhaust note and more burbles?
Its got a deeper more aggressive growl ... never compared burbles between different exhausts to be honest but you can adjust burble with any flash tune

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 12:28 PM   #22
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

First and foremost, what are your plans for the car? Meaning are you going to add a tune later and for go FBO???

If you are only looking to upgrade the exhaust portion and stay completely stock then a catback or axle back exhaust will be your best bet.

If you will be going FBO i'd say upgrade the Downpipe first and go from there.