F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Air Filter Replacement
Extreme Powerhouse

03-22-2019, 09:48 PM   #45
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328dX View Post
It's all purely for emissions. Since I run a diesel I'm not sure of it's purpose but it does rob power and efficiency. I can't comment on BMWs charcoal media, but from other Japanese brands EE's Subaru (video below) gained 4whp. Which is a lot. Probably close to 10hp at the crank.

BMWs charcoal media doesn't seem as restrictive but I see it as useless nonetheless.

The EPA would rather create pollution (via the media) restrict power and efficiency all in the name of gas fumes(which in several years of running your vehicle) will ultimate burn more fuel due to said restriction. Disgusting

oh I actually watched this before too! Didn't think of that earlier!

Do M sport have a different air intake box than non-M sports? I don't get how mppk and M sports use the filter with carbon but non-M sports doesn't. Unless the software are different to the point the emission output from the same N55 are different...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 10:01 PM   #46
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Carbon on an air filter makes as much sense as a screen door on a submarine. Activated carbon is used on cabin air filters, to remove odors. I don't think that engines are bothered by smelly air. Not German engines, anyway. French engines, maybe.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 11:13 PM   #47
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Carbon on an air filter makes as much sense as a screen door on a submarine. Activated carbon is used on cabin air filters, to remove odors. I don't think that engines are bothered by smelly air. Not German engines, anyway. French engines, maybe.
In gasoline engines it's to absorb/ neutralize gas or exhaust fumes that escape the intake manifold, depending on what stroke the engine was shut off on.

I think you're being sarcastic though lol
Appreciate 1
BMWinAZ104.00
      03-23-2019, 08:54 AM   #48
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Only a marketeer could come up with that explanation. Even if said fumes managed to make their way backwards to the air filter they'd be cleared within one revolution when the engine started again. They wouldn't be able to make their way out of the air intake to stink up a garage, as that's quite a bit closer to the ground than the intake box. In short:

Appreciate 0