F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Opinions on Catted Downpipe with MPPSK (B58)
Extreme Powerhouse

05-30-2022, 11:41 AM   #1
eddie92x
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpine White 340i ZHP

Opinions on Catted Downpipe with MPPSK (B58)

Hey guys, my warranty recently ended so it's finally that time. Looking to go stage 2 on my 340i which has MPPSK and want to upgrade the downpipe. I am looking for peoples opinions that have MPPSK and what catted downpipe they went with and why? Two things to note, my budget for the downpipe is around $1k and I am looking to keep the deep beautiful sound the MPPSK produces but just want it to be louder (20%+ increase would be incredible). I've seen several videos where after a cheaper downpipe the MPPSK sounds louder but more tin-canney and raspy which imo is a downgrade and absolutely do not want. I want to keep the deepness and of course want something that performs well and is reliable, but this thread is more geared towards how the car will ultimately sound. Most appear to be 200/300 cell, I'm good with both.

Any videos for reference would also be awesome.

Note: I did search across forums with different key words before posting, and did not find what I was looking for. Feel free to send links to relevant threads.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 01:13 PM   #2
vcx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340 xdrive MPPSK 6-manual

My car is currently at a garage shop to get a HJS catted DP installed over the MPPSK. I will let you know once it's done!

With any sport DP paired with MPPSK, the sound will be more raspy and metallic. If you want a deep sound, just weld a vibrant resonator (bottle style), like the ones from Vibrant Performance. I bought one but can't install it as the local authorithy will say that my MPPSK is not legal anymore... which is stupid, as the exhaust with added resonator will do less noise than the regurla MPPSK exhaust.

Corvette C6 Z06 Z07
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 01:54 PM   #3
eddie92x
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpine White 340i ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
My car is currently at a garage shop to get a HJS catted DP installed over the MPPSK. I will let you know once it's done!

With any sport DP paired with MPPSK, the sound will be more raspy and metallic. If you want a deep sound, just weld a vibrant resonator (bottle style), like the ones from Vibrant Performance. I bought one but can't install it as the local authorithy will say that my MPPSK is not legal anymore... which is stupid, as the exhaust with added resonator will do less noise than the regurla MPPSK exhaust.
Sick! What made you go with a DP that's almost $2k? Was it the strict emissions in your area? I didn't realize all downpipes would make the mppsk more raspy. I guess now the question becomes, which one downgrades the sound the least?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 02:15 PM   #4
vcx
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie92x View Post
Sick! What made you go with a DP that's almost $2k? Was it the strict emissions in your area? I didn't realize all downpipes would make the mppsk more raspy. I guess now the question becomes, which one downgrades the sound the least?
The HJS downpipe is currently the only one legal in Switzerland.

Concerning the sound of a catted DP with MPPSK, others might be able to inform you better than me, but all the vids I saw on internet sounded more or less the same, raspy, which I don't particularly like to be honnest.

Side note: you should also desactivate the cold start sound (you can do this using an app like MG Flasher or others). It will be annoyingly loud with a catted DP + MPPSK when you start up.

Corvette C6 Z06 Z07
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 02:30 PM   #5
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Sound is subjective. I had CG DS-1 catted DP with AWE catback and it sounded great. Now with upgraded turbo + inlet + VRSF catless + AWE catback, it sounds absolutely mental.

If you want a catted downpipe around $1k, I'd go with CG DS-1. Maybe Mike@x-ph.com can help you out on acquiring one, as lead times are a bit long. It only threw a CEL for me once in my 5+ years of having it and I was on stock tune for majority of that time.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2022, 03:55 PM   #6
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Experience summarised here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1691853
      09-23-2022, 05:48 AM   #7
disintegrator66
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 340i M-Sport 6MT THP MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post

Hello... any update on the HJS install? Since all retailers want ~$2500 USD for the Akra I might go with the HJS.... love to hear your feedback. Thx
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 07:49 AM   #8
vcx
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by disintegrator66 View Post
Hello... any update on the HJS install? Since all retailers want ~$2500 USD for the Akra I might go with the HJS.... love to hear your feedback. Thx
Hi!

I am very happy with it! really quiet in confort mode, more than I thouight, even with MPPSK (and cold start delete).

Very loud on sport mode when the throttle is 100% open.

The install was made by a shop, so I can't comment about the process but they had no problem apparently.

No check engine light also, and I passed the legal test a month ago without any problem.

So very happy overall.

Corvette C6 Z06 Z07
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2022, 04:21 PM   #9
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by disintegrator66 View Post
If you are in the US AA is the way as it's way cheaper
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 02:11 AM   #10
Juice247
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW 440xi Gran Coupe

I have the AA catted DP with MPPSK. BM3 tune with OEM flaps and MPPSK burbles in Comfort and sport. Cold start is off, GTS roar is on. It's subdued during light throttle as long as you keep it under 3k/3500 rpm when the flaps open.

It sounds great during light throttle and absolutly RIPS WOT in sport w/flaps open. It's such an incredible sound when it's warmed up, the exhaust is opened up, and there is enough pressure to fill the pipe.

It absolutely sucks when it's cold and you use medium throttle. It trumpets with a hollow echo of a ricer that chopped their muffler off. Also cold start is brutally terrible sounding. It just resonates in all the wrong ways.

So I learned to drive around it. Light throttle, shift at 3k or less until warm. Don't let the flaps open in Comfort.

Is it worth it. Yes. Its subdued and kind when you keep the revs down and never fails to bring a smile to my face when I get on it. I'd add a resonator if it would eliminate the trumpet sound, but I don't want to sacrifice the midpipe for a shot in the dark.

Oh, and turn on throttle blips in XHP for the cherry on top!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 05:36 AM   #11
disintegrator66
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
True... I've researched AA and it appears to be a quality DP at a very resonable price. The HJS DP intrigues me though; built to survive a nuclear blast, dual chamber 300 cell design, claims of flowing ~93% of a straight pipe, Euro 6 compliant etc.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 08:05 AM   #12
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

HJS is sort of the golden standard in Europe.
Akrapovic features the same cat converter (HJS) but has a superior body quality with optimised gas flow - higher diameter inlet and aerodynamically coned outlet. And of course both are Euro 6 compliant, no CEL.

Where did you read that about 93% of a catless thoguh...? Never seen that before, sounds a bit exaggerated...
      09-24-2022, 03:32 PM   #13
vcx
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Akrapovic features the same cat converter (HJS) but has a superior body quality with optimised gas flow - higher diameter inlet and aerodynamically coned outlet. And of course both are Euro 6 compliant, no CEL.

Where did you read that about 93% of a catless thoguh...? Never seen that before, sounds a bit exaggerated...
I wanted to go with the Akrapovic DP first, which is cheaper than the HJS, strangely. But it's no more listed as compliant with laws in Switzerland.

Maybe because of the noise.

Corvette C6 Z06 Z07
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 04:03 PM   #14
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Cheaper!? Something is wrong there… 😁
Akrapovic has always been min 30% more expensive.

Noise-wise they must be the same. Sound-wise maybe not exactly the same but very close.
      09-24-2022, 04:44 PM   #15
vcx
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Cheaper!? Something is wrong there… 😁
Akrapovic has always been min 30% more expensive.

Noise-wise they must be the same. Sound-wise maybe not exactly the same but very close.
https://www.rupteur.ch/fr/produit/ec...pipe-Akrapovic

https://www.rupteur.ch/fr/produit/ec...seur-Sport-HJS

Corvette C6 Z06 Z07
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 05:22 PM   #16
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Extremely odd. Don't know the prices nowadays, but the HJS must be extremely overpriced if it is more expensive than the superior Akrapovic…
      09-25-2022, 05:05 AM   #17
vcx
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Extremely odd. Don't know the prices nowadays, but the HJS must be extremely overpriced if it is more expensive than the superior Akrapovic…
Strange indeed.

I guess since they are the only legal option, the price went up.

But I still don't know why the Akra isn't law-compliant anymore, if he has the HJS cat inside..

Corvette C6 Z06 Z07
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 06:07 AM   #18
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

I don't really know what „law-compliant" means in Switzerland. The Akra DP is provided with the same approval as the HJS…
Both are ECE-marked components.
      09-25-2022, 06:47 AM   #19
disintegrator66
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

A claim made by the US importer Fabspeed:
https://www.fabspeed.com/bmw-m140i-m...rter-downpipe/
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1889.50
      09-25-2022, 09:58 AM   #20
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
Agree

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 11:27 AM   #21
vcx
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't really know what „law-compliant" means in Switzerland. The Akra DP is provided with the same approval as the HJS…
Both are ECE-marked components.
If you check the current akrapovic website, it now says that this DP isn't emission compliant.

https://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/pro...00&yearId=5048

But I don't know the reason behind it !

Corvette C6 Z06 Z07
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 11:30 AM   #22
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

It has always said that on the website. Also that ECU tune is required to avoid CEL. Reasons unknown, since it is the same HJS cat (type engraved on a plate on the DP), which is Euro 6 compliant.
Maybe just liability concerns.