F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Used cars prices are going bonkers!
proTUNING Freaks

08-03-2021, 08:41 AM   #309
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
...although it's an exceptional car, I can't justify it, still using cars less than ever, 1000-1500 miles a month.
Interesting! Generally I'm very happy with my G21 but it's 14 months old and has yet to clock 6k miles. I keep telling myself it's not been a typical year - and that the mileage will soon go back to more like the 1k/month I anticipated when I bought it - but in truth the car can stand for several days at a time in the garage without turning a wheel and therefore does on occasion feel like an expensive ornament. Being honest I've thought about cashing-in on the current price boom as I could probably get pretty close to what I paid for it; problem is, to my way of thinking that doesn't do me any good if ultimately I need to replace and would do so with either the same again or something very similar!
Actually reading back even that is over what I'm doing. Some months it minimal more like 500-1000 a month but I have noticed it is rising.
      08-03-2021, 08:44 AM   #310
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Stop selling your cars people! I have 4 weeks left and would like the squeeze to continue...

I wouldn't want to be paying for two cars and I think it's sensible to own one and keep it, I have had doubts about my decision to order a new car but I've off set the additional cost with a equal saving elsewhere (who knew I drank so much)
WBAC Chester chap said they had 2-3 times the usual volume coming through. As we finished a car carrier arrived and he said half the street was his cars overflowed from their own car park.

I'd expect small rises in the market still until supply is less restricted in new cars AND consumer confidence is restored for those on the fence to back a new car vs a used.

Won't be a quick fix that as we know.
      08-03-2021, 10:37 AM   #311
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:

Current fleet and plans are all about the FIRE.
Thank you Terry @tengocity

Their calculator says I can retire in 2 years (not true) but I have another round of investment at work that has a 4-5 year cycle and after that I'll go part time / slow down.

So what am I driving now? You know I just have a love affair with the F series cars. The X2 always was in my name and still is. It's now the family bus. FWD mini platform blah blah it does the job and to me looks cracking.

Some recent exciting achievements:-

1. Changed front and rear wipers myself. What an experience. £46 total for Bosch. By by squeaking wipes. Literally never down this, tyres in about 8,000 maybe.
2. Wife's 'work' on the alloys about to be undone, 2x£200 for total refurb on 20inch diamond cut
3. Complete interior clean and exterior dual polish. It's white and not a mark on it but hey ho.
4. Need to sort some breakdown cover, first time ever out in a 3+ year car for me
5. Insurance money back was nice and this plus 1st road fund will cover all of the above.

Mrs now has 'Nan Van' as the kids call it. Kia Picanto in white. Manual. 70Hp I believe. Rocket ship. Lovely. Paid in cash from deposit and the rest from us.

End Result.
£260/month total outgoing on cars

This has reduced from over £1000/month and it's already diverted into extra pension and savings.

Eventually I'll tire of the F39 but it's only at 15,000 miles and everything is mint. I'll wait out the BEV game now till a path forward is clear and we're on gen 12 batteries or what not.

Really very very happy. Nothing wrong at all with the F Type but … well … just can't be arsed having a car as pride and joy. For us now it's all about the new house and making that exactly what we want and planning extraction from work in 5+ years….with a bit of 2xkids Uni thrown in too.

Car guy? Hmm.
You're welcome!

I find it difficult to get the right balance. I don't want to retire early necessarily, but I want to have the option to. I want to have nice cars, but I don't want to pay through the nose for them

I think the key thing for me was getting off the PCP merry go round, and stop seeing the cars though the monthly cost lens. There's no way I'd have put £60k cash in to a new M4 three years ago, but I found it ok to pay £700 a month for it, knowing that there would be little to show for it at the end of term.

Having massively reduced my overall mileage has certainly made it easier, as when I was doing lots of miles I always felt like that meant I should have a nice and new car to do it in. Now I see the dailies as tools to do a job, and I love that I've stopped being so precious about my cars.

I collect our previous 335d tourer this coming weekend - whilst it's on 150k miles, it's still got a full BMW SH. I am paying less for it than I spent on mods for the M4, and less than what all the extras cost me 7 years ago. Going to keep it forever now!

But cars have always been my passion, and you only live once. My Uncle has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer at age 52, with a number of other close relatives having died of cancer at relatively young ages, so I don't want to sacrifice too much for the future, in case it never arrives.

So whilst a GT4 might not seem all the FIRE friendly, I actually think it's the best thing I've ever done with cars and finances. I could rack up mega miles on it and I doubt it'll ever be worth less £50k ever ever.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 5
isleaiw18778.00
JustChris17489.00
dopper993532.50
Scoobyd1957.50
      08-03-2021, 10:45 AM   #312
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

I think you hit the nail well and truly on the head there Tengocity - its all a balance, live life but be sensible, indulge your passions but dont waste money.

The best buy car for me was a Volvo S60. Bought for less than £10k at 2 years old and 30k miles, sold at 160k miles 3.5 years later for £2k. It was a workhorse but it always delivered.

I doubt the RS4 will be a financially sound buy - but at the moment I could get out with only a £2.5k loss. After 9 months and 5k miles. of course that is 50ppm on depreciation versus just over 6p per mile for the Volvo!

And I cant think of anything I would rather have so I am paying it down and keeping it.....

(maybe)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 04:38 PM   #313
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
WBAC Chester chap said they had 2-3 times the usual volume coming through. As we finished a car carrier arrived and he said half the street was his cars overflowed from their own car park.

I'd expect small rises in the market still until supply is less restricted in new cars AND consumer confidence is restored for those on the fence to back a new car vs a used.

Won't be a quick fix that as we know.
Yeah people are having their heads turned by the pricing and of course taking the opportunity to reduce out goings....I'll SOR mine with my used car dealer friend though as I'd rather that then give it to WBAC.

I do predict that you'll get something else over the 6 months though...it's just a hunch mind....
      08-03-2021, 07:22 PM   #314
Scoobyd
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport / Macan GTS

As the resident financial adviser on here this thread from Chris's post onwards tonight has put a smile on my face, where some of the 'man maths' ones have me filled with dread… there's hope yet!

Sorry to hear about your relative, Terry. Horrible news. Puts things in perspective though and as Ian says it's all about balance. Giving up all the luxuries in life today for a tomorrow that may never come would only lead to regret. Just as blowing it all up the wall today without planning for tomorrow would.

Anyway, let's see how long Chris manages to hold out before there's yet more new metal on the drive! I did love that Jag though… was a beaut.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 03:58 AM   #315
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

It will be interesting to see how long these 'Economy Drives' last ........ my bet is the 'Sellers' will be back in something 'Flash' by the end of September.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 04:17 AM   #316
Nibbles
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

I'm really in two minds about this at the moment. The 540's PCP ends in October, currently WBAC offer is 9k more than is left on finance. Nothing new has really caught my eye unless you go over the 100k mark and that seems like a silly amount of money to spend on something that sits outside the house for 95% of it's life and you also can't seem to get anything delivered soon due to the shortages.
I'm moving in the next month or so to a house with a garage and drive rather than on street parking so EV's/PHEV's could also come into the mix although I'm not sure the price increase of these over the savings with the limited mileage I'm doing would be worth it.

So should I:

Pay off the finance and keep it?

Sell it and use the money left over to buy a family workhorse car and save on the monthly outgoing?

Sell it and order something new in the same price bracket?

Sell it and sign up to the Jaguar or Volvo short-term car services until I decide what I want to do longer term?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 04:25 AM   #317
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbles View Post
I'm really in two minds about this at the moment. The 540's PCP ends in October, currently WBAC offer is 9k more than is left on finance. Nothing new has really caught my eye unless you go over the 100k mark and that seems like a silly amount of money to spend on something that sits outside the house for 95% of it's life and you also can't seem to get anything delivered soon due to the shortages.
I'm moving in the next month or so to a house with a garage and drive rather than on street parking so EV's/PHEV's could also come into the mix although I'm not sure the price increase of these over the savings with the limited mileage I'm doing would be worth it.

So should I:

Sell it and use the money left over to buy a family workhorse car and save on the monthly outgoing?

Sell it and sign up to the Jaguar or Volvo short-term car services until I decide what I want to do longer term?
I'm in exactly the same boat. You can justify any option at the moment.

I think I'm leaning to settling finance and keeping my car. Prices are high at the moment. They will drop, but may cushion the depreciation over the next couple of years.

There seems to be little good deals at the moment and cars short supply and I'm struggling to se anything that I want.

Time will tell. All a bit of a lottery just now!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 04:38 AM   #318
Abzynthe
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Gran Coupe LCI

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Quote:
...although it's an exceptional car, I can't justify it, still using cars less than ever, 1000-1500 miles a month.
Interesting! Generally I'm very happy with my G21 but it's 14 months old and has yet to clock 6k miles. I keep telling myself it's not been a typical year - and that the mileage will soon go back to more like the 1k/month I anticipated when I bought it - but in truth the car can stand for several days at a time in the garage without turning a wheel and therefore does on occasion feel like an expensive ornament. Being honest I've thought about cashing-in on the current price boom as I could probably get pretty close to what I paid for it; problem is, to my way of thinking that doesn't do me any good if ultimately I need to replace and would do so with either the same again or something very similar!
Actually reading back even that is over what I'm doing. Some months it minimal more like 500-1000 a month but I have noticed it is rising.
I'm only doing about 4K a year in mine!
JustChris17489.00
      08-04-2021, 04:57 AM   #319
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

Quote:

So should I:

Settle the finance and wait until there's something you really WANT.

Selling while the market is high is great if you're having a wobble or an itch to get out (as I was having the f80 sat on the drive not doing much) but not much point selling purely to cash in IMO.

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 05:26 AM   #320
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Why anyone would rather work than retire early is beyond me. There is a lot more to life than sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours a day as most on here do.

If you have a job that more of a passion then maybe but for most we only work to pay the bills, I enjoy my job and the people I work with but to do it longer than I need to, no thanks.
Appreciate 4
JustChris17489.00
Sennen1733.50
JR16641146.50
      08-04-2021, 05:27 AM   #321
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

So should I:

Keep it and use the money saved on buying a new one to buy a weekend toy - I hear there is a Fab F Type V8 for sale in a gorgeous green....
Appreciate 1
Nibbles857.50
      08-04-2021, 05:28 AM   #322
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
You're welcome!

I find it difficult to get the right balance. I don't want to retire early necessarily, but I want to have the option to. I want to have nice cars, but I don't want to pay through the nose for them

I think the key thing for me was getting off the PCP merry go round, and stop seeing the cars though the monthly cost lens. There's no way I'd have put £60k cash in to a new M4 three years ago, but I found it ok to pay £700 a month for it, knowing that there would be little to show for it at the end of term.

Having massively reduced my overall mileage has certainly made it easier, as when I was doing lots of miles I always felt like that meant I should have a nice and new car to do it in. Now I see the dailies as tools to do a job, and I love that I've stopped being so precious about my cars.

I collect our previous 335d tourer this coming weekend - whilst it's on 150k miles, it's still got a full BMW SH. I am paying less for it than I spent on mods for the M4, and less than what all the extras cost me 7 years ago. Going to keep it forever now!

But cars have always been my passion, and you only live once. My Uncle has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer at age 52, with a number of other close relatives having died of cancer at relatively young ages, so I don't want to sacrifice too much for the future, in case it never arrives.

So whilst a GT4 might not seem all the FIRE friendly, I actually think it's the best thing I've ever done with cars and finances. I could rack up mega miles on it and I doubt it'll ever be worth less £50k ever ever.
Sorry to hear about your uncle, I didnt want to retire that early when I was your age but once I hit 50 I lost all interest in work and realised their was more to life when you have the finances to retire
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 06:08 AM   #323
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Why anyone would rather work than retire early is beyond me. There is a lot more to life than sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours a day as most on here do.

If you have a job that more of a passion then maybe but for most we only work to pay the bills, I enjoy my job and the people I work with but to do it longer than I need to, no thanks.
well given I dont have a significant other, dont golf, not sure how I would fill 7 days a week not working.... and I like problem solving, helping people, mixing with others.....

Its likely therefore I will never fully retire, wind down, do less, do what I want, but stop completely no thanks. My dad managed 2.5 years retired before he keeled over at 60, my grandad did 6 months before he died at 67. Not sure a complete stop suits everyone....

I think you are off to Spain arent you Jon? A chap I worked with (whose Dad founded the company we worked for) retired to Spain after he sold the business for 10s of millions.... both he and his Mrs were dead within 5 years, because of the lifestyle of the expats out there....
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 06:33 AM   #324
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
well given I dont have a significant other, dont golf, not sure how I would fill 7 days a week not working.... and I like problem solving, helping people, mixing with others.....

Its likely therefore I will never fully retire, wind down, do less, do what I want, but stop completely no thanks. My dad managed 2.5 years retired before he keeled over at 60, my grandad did 6 months before he died at 67. Not sure a complete stop suits everyone....

I think you are off to Spain arent you Jon? A chap I worked with (whose Dad founded the company we worked for) retired to Spain after he sold the business for 10s of millions.... both he and his Mrs were dead within 5 years, because of the lifestyle of the expats out there....
Well you are a ray of sunshine today

Portugal is the planned destination, having to work because you dont know what you would do with your time if you retired is a bid sad in my opinion. I dont know what I will do with my time but I know it will be better than working

Based on what you dad and grandad did I think I would be reducing the stress now so you at least make 67

We are all different I guess
Appreciate 1
Sennen1733.50
      08-04-2021, 08:45 AM   #325
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Quote:

Portugal is the planned destination, having to work because you dont know what you would do with your time if you retired is a bid sad in my opinion. I dont know what I will do with my time but I know it will be better than working

Based on what you dad and grandad did I think I would be reducing the stress now so you at least make 67

We are all different and what suits one person won't suit everybody! For what it's worth, my personal view has always been you work to live not live to work; therefore, unless your job is also one of your passions - and something you really love doing - the logic to me is you retire when you're able to do so financially. I suppose that doesn't mean you have to stop altogether - you can always find something part-time if you really feel you can't get the mental stimulation you crave without working - but for most people I suspect the things they enjoy are what they do outside of work and hence for them retiring early is preferable if they can afford to do it.

What I find quite sobering, though, is when I read articles in the media that suggest the current average pension pot in the UK at retirement age is not much over £60k - I can't see finishing early being on the agenda for anyone in that category (unless of course they've got significant other investments to finance their retirement).
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 08:47 AM   #326
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

I am, smashing through work problems and on a roll...

I think when you are part of a couple or a family your forget how much of your time revolves around stuff to do with them - whether it is chatting over breakfast, having dinner together, doing the weekly shop (with them or just for stuff they want), sorting their car / insurance / service / etc

When you are one, that lots disappears and frees up loads of time. Which is great till you have to fill it. I dont do gardening (have a good job to pay someone to do that) cleaning (well, I do now as sacked off the last cleaners) and there is only so much sport you can play or watch, or cars I can buy, think of buying, lust after. Holidays are less fun alone, there are only so many married mates who you can meet for a beer as they get their restrictions put in place, and dating is a shit way to spend your time.

So engaging my brain, doing something useful, mixing with people, being helpful, giving something back are all on my list for what some would describe as retirement from the day job.

It wasnt the stress that killed them, it was the stopping. My dad left the coal industry ahead of the strike in 84, thinking he would get a part time job in a connected field, but when it lasted a year, all the places he would have worked had redefined themselves..... and he was retired at 58. you need a plan for filling that time or it gets filled with stuff that isnt good, like the expats I referred to earlier....

So I plan to fill mine - and being single there is a lot more to fill, see the start....
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 09:06 AM   #327
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I am, smashing through work problems and on a roll...

I think when you are part of a couple or a family your forget how much of your time revolves around stuff to do with them - whether it is chatting over breakfast, having dinner together, doing the weekly shop (with them or just for stuff they want), sorting their car / insurance / service / etc

When you are one, that lots disappears and frees up loads of time. Which is great till you have to fill it. I dont do gardening (have a good job to pay someone to do that) cleaning (well, I do now as sacked off the last cleaners) and there is only so much sport you can play or watch, or cars I can buy, think of buying, lust after. Holidays are less fun alone, there are only so many married mates who you can meet for a beer as they get their restrictions put in place, and dating is a shit way to spend your time.

So engaging my brain, doing something useful, mixing with people, being helpful, giving something back are all on my list for what some would describe as retirement from the day job.

It wasnt the stress that killed them, it was the stopping. My dad left the coal industry ahead of the strike in 84, thinking he would get a part time job in a connected field, but when it lasted a year, all the places he would have worked had redefined themselves..... and he was retired at 58. you need a plan for filling that time or it gets filled with stuff that isnt good, like the expats I referred to earlier....

So I plan to fill mine - and being single there is a lot more to fill, see the start....
Its about time you found a lovely lady and started to live life to the full again. I avoid Brits when living in England so there is now way I am seeking them out abroad.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 09:23 AM   #328
rokut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cosmic EP3 Type R

I thought this was a 'used car prices' thread, not a 'tell people how to live their lives' thread... :S

Be a boring lil' spot in the solar system if we all did the same. And while I am currently living it up in a 16 year old Type R I don't doubt that for most of you guys on here that'd be the last thing you'd want to do!

Work. Don't work. Your decision if you're 'lucky' enough to have that luxury (I can't see this being a hot topic of conversation across a good few billion people on this planet). And unfortunately we don't have much of a say when we don't exist any longer either through natural causes or accidents.

Have a good one and leave people to enjoy what they want - cheers!
Appreciate 5
JustChris17489.00
Rbrown2765.50
isleaiw18778.00
cramsnik393.00
      08-04-2021, 09:42 AM   #329
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

Quote:

After getting made redundant at the start of the pandemic I was climbing the walls after a couple of months off.

My wife has been in a position where she hasn't needed to work for the last 4 - 5 years, but not working very definitely negatively impacted her mental health, self belief and happiness. She found herself looking for things to do, which very nearly went very wrong, fortunately she found a way to channel her energy in a positive and sustainable way.

Retirement sounds great, but a life with little to strive for probably goes against the very core of many on this forum and indeed those in a position to retire early.

How many lottery winners for example lose the plot.

I mean we are all different, I guess we'd all like a little more free time, a little less stress, but equally still have a need to achieve things.

The key is, to find enjoyment from what you do I think, and a solid financial standing and not NEEDING to bring home x £'S / month, it makes work a choice not a necessity.

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 6
isleaiw18778.00
ar68149.00
JNW13122.00
JustChris17489.00
Rbrown2765.50
      08-04-2021, 09:49 AM   #330
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan4 View Post
After getting made redundant at the start of the pandemic I was climbing the walls after a couple of months off.

My wife has been in a position where she hasn't needed to work for the last 4 - 5 years, but not working very definitely negatively impacted her mental health, self belief and happiness. She found herself looking for things to do, which very nearly went very wrong, fortunately she found a way to channel her energy in a positive and sustainable way.

Retirement sounds great, but a life with little to strive for probably goes against the very core of many on this forum and indeed those in a position to retire early.

How many lottery winners for example lose the plot.

I mean we are all different, I guess we'd all like a little more free time, a little less stress, but equally still have a need to achieve things.

The key is, to find enjoyment from what you do I think, and a solid financial standing and not NEEDING to bring home x £'S / month, it makes work a choice not a necessity.
can certainly relate to those comments about your wife, it was part of my wife's long term issues.

And yes, I have to say passing that day when you can access your pension pot, having enough in there for a decent retirement and therefore only needing to earn enough to pay the bills (also significantly lower when the kids are self sufficient) is a great day. And suddenly life becomes less of a stress and more fun
Appreciate 0