F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Expensive Paperweight (my tcb retrofit)
proTUNING Freaks

01-08-2019, 07:37 AM   #1
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6sp

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Expensive Paperweight (my tcb retrofit)

So I retrofitted a TCB from a car with the options that I wanted and that went all well and dandy (pita) but I finished doing the combox to tcb repin, as well as running the wires to the front back of headunit and connecting the TCB via kcan2 POST emulator so there would NOT be a vin mismatch between NBT and TCB, anyway coded what was needed and went on my merry way to go ahead and give everything a start. Now I don't know if i did something wrong or if I just have the most impeccable timing to do this retrofit when servers are down but does anyone know or can anyway chime on if connected drive is down for them too or if they have done this retrofit. Happy days to everyone
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 11:56 AM   #2
Crazy_1201
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

You should get a set of FSC codes for the NBT to match the TCB VIN, erase the NBT FSC codes, code the NBT to the TCB VIN and import the new FSC codes.
Basically NBT Vin and FSC need to match TCB
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2019, 12:16 PM   #3
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_1201 View Post
You should get a set of FSC codes for the NBT to match the TCB VIN, erase the NBT FSC codes, code the NBT to the TCB VIN and import the new FSC codes.
Basically NBT Vin and FSC need to match TCB
Hey thanks so even though the TCB is recognizing the vin from the DONOR vin as the same as the original NBT it belonged to, is that not enough? That was the whole reason why I ran two extra wires from the TCB directly to the emulator. Just as extra precaution I didn't even plug in the TCB till I was able to code the NBT with the TCB donor vin options and donor vin itself. Also the original donor vin the NBT used match the option codes from factory of the new donor vin I used to match the TCB.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 01:50 PM   #4
Crazy_1201
Private
Rep

As far as I am aware TCB vin cannot be reprogrammed. And you also need FSC to match. So basically read TCB vin inject it into NBT. Get a FSC repair kit for vin of TCB inject that into NBT.
You’d then need an NBT emulator between car and NBT.
FSC codes are vin specific
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 02:12 PM   #5
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
As far as I am aware TCB vin cannot be reprogrammed. And you also need FSC to match. So basically read TCB vin inject it into NBT. Get a FSC repair kit for vin of TCB inject that into NBT.
You'd then need an NBT emulator between car and NBT.
FSC codes are vin specific
No it cannot be reprogrammed but yes I did cafd injection with donor vin prior to putting the car back together so it had already been done and yes it is connected via kcan2 between emulator and nbt already, I don't know where to find a fsc repair kit though is it done through esys or ista?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 02:24 PM   #6
Crazy_1201
Private
Rep

Fsc can be done through esys. It’s basically activation codes for certain bmw features.
Where to obtain them from? Best to ask Shawnsheridan on this forum
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2019, 02:30 PM   #7
Crazy_1201
Private
Rep

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=838915

This thread explains a bit more regarding fsc codes
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2019, 03:30 PM   #8
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=838915

This thread explains a bit more regarding fsc codes
Quote:
Fsc can be done through esys. It's basically activation codes for certain bmw features.
Where to obtain them from? Best to ask Shawnsheridan on this forum
Alright I will give shawn a ask but apart from that, is this the reason that the head unit is saying maintenance is being done on bmws website after doing the cellular data and sim connection, I'm able to actually log into bmw online in my car from connecteddrive and I actually added it to mybmw account but I just can't add it to connecteddrive app because the car doesn't receive the message with the pin.

Is a FSC repair kit really needed at this stage I was hoping to be able add my car to connected drive at least before I go paying big bucks because I don't want to pay only for the FSCs not to be the actually cause of this current issue.

shawnsheridan

Edit: these are things I exactly did

-removed old combox
-repinned 26 pin combox connector
And ran 5 wires from the connector to the quadlock behind NBT
-spliced kcan H and kcan L in between the emulator and the NBT and ran green usb fakra
-added donor options to vo and vo coded NBT with new donor vin from TCB
-connected TCB
-TCB recognizes by esys
-NBT recognizes and changes connected drive menu
-NBT responds to hitting BMW ONLINE by bringing up "transferring cellular sim network something something something (lol)"
-after a little bit of waiting it says "MAINTENANCE, website is going under maintenance" and it's been like that for the week
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 05:19 PM   #9
Crazy_1201
Private
Rep

Fair play. Best to wait for Shawn to get back to you.

Also does your navigation still work?
Was your car originally specced with NBT and connecteddrive?
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2019, 05:21 PM   #10
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Fair play. Best to wait for Shawn to get back to you.
Yep I appreciate the help though
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 07:25 PM   #11
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightf30 View Post
Alright I will give shawn a ask but apart from that, is this the reason that the head unit is saying maintenance is being done on bmws website after doing the cellular data and sim connection, I'm able to actually log into bmw online in my car from connecteddrive and I actually added it to mybmw account but I just can't add it to connecteddrive app because the car doesn't receive the message with the pin.

Is a FSC repair kit really needed at this stage I was hoping to be able add my car to connected drive at least before I go paying big bucks because I don't want to pay only for the FSCs not to be the actually cause of this current issue.

shawnsheridan

-removed old combox
-spliced kcan H and kcan L in between the emulator and the NBT and ran green usb fakra
-connected TCB
-TCB recognizes by esys
-NBT responds to hitting BMW ONLINE by bringing up "transferring cellular sim network something something something (lol)"
-after a little bit of waiting it says "MAINTENANCE, website is going under maintenance" and it's been like that for the week
I have never retrofitted any Telematics Unit, so I am not a good one to ask.

That said, for retrofitted TCB to work, besides correct hardware / wiring:

1) Leave Donor VIN in TCB
2) Change the VIN of the NBT to match the Donor TCB VIN and load FSC's for VIN of TCB/NBT (Donor ATM VIN)
3) Use an emulator that allows VIN of car to be different than VIN of TCB/NBT.

TCB of course needs active Subscriptions for desired services as well (RTTI, etc.).

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2019, 09:45 PM   #12
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Quote:

shawnsheridan

-removed old combox
-connected TCB
-TCB recognizes by esys
I have never retrofitted any Telematics Unit, so I am not a good one to ask.

That said, for retrofitted TCB to work, besides correct hardware / wiring:

1) Leave Donor VIN in TCB
2) Change the VIN of the NBT to match the Donor TCB VIN and load FSC's for VIN of TCB/NBT (Donor ATM VIN)
3) Use an emulator that allows VIN of car to be different than VIN of TCB/NBT.

TCB of course needs active Subscriptions for desired services as well (RTTI, etc.).
Hey thanks anyway (wanted to say it personally because before I started posting reading your stuff helped me in other things I worked at coding wise up to now but anyway, I did one and two and three but how do you load the FSC's from the donor onto the nbt? And yea i will once I know it's working I know for sure the subscription is done BUT the TCB donor originally had everything I wanted so hopefully gonna get it to work, just gotta figure out if bmw actually is under maintenance or something on my end isn't right because I can login to bmw online from I drive and my time even updated from the TCB, but it's just trying to access store and bmw online show maintenance and I believe this is why the pin isn't being received by my car from the connected app under messages.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 07:44 AM   #13
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
...I did one and two and three but how do you load the FSC's from the donor onto the nbt?
You need the original FSC Code Set, and then all FSC Codes must be imported / Activated in Head Unit using E-Sys. PM sent.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2019, 11:29 PM   #14
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
...I did one and two and three but how do you load the FSC's from the donor onto the nbt?
You need the original FSC Code Set, and then all FSC Codes must be imported / Activated in Head Unit using E-Sys. PM sent.
Didn't want to open a new thread if I didn't have to but any insight on why this is happening:

The vin on literal idrive it is blank but when hooking to esys and checking fsc and and tool32 it already reports the vin I wanted it to have stored already but why isn't it showing on head-unit itself?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #15
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 320i xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Didn't want to open a new thread if I didn't have to but any insight on why this is happening:

The vin on literal idrive it is blank but when hooking to esys and checking fsc and and tool32 it already reports the vin I wanted it to have stored already but why isn't it showing on head-unit itself?
Did u ever try selecting update bmw assist?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 12:02 PM   #16
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhnblckwood View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yea I tried doing that still nothing lol I tried looking through tool32 for like a "write vin" job but couldn't find one.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 12:26 PM   #17
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 320i xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yea I tried doing that still nothing lol I tried looking through tool32 for like a "write vin" job but couldn't find one.
And u matched up the number in the vin folder to the hex values and it is the donor vin u wanted? Maybe tcb n nbt need to b on same istep andr istep updated?? Idk
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 01:55 PM   #18
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And u matched up the number in the vin folder to the hex values and it is the donor vin u wanted? Maybe tcb n nbt need to b on same istep andr istep updated?? Idk
For which one nbt or tcb, the tcb has the correct one in that vin folder but I can't find anything related to vin via esys whether I use "vin" or "vehicle identification number" or the German translation. I virginized the NBT and I imported FSC which went great even reads the vin through check fsc as donor. But I don't know if there's a process for the vin that I'be got to do. Maybe shawnsheridan has some insight, helped me initially with the virginization.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 07:45 AM   #19
Raygbmw1
Australia
Rep
Drives: Bmw116 F20

This is what I did to make it all work.

1. Bought a FSC kit from FSCMap.com for the Donor VIN
2. Install an emulator.
3. Retrofit the tcb.
4. Hook up ESys.
5. Read and save FA
6. Edit FA and change the VIN to the donor’s in the FA
7. Injected a Cafd file using the revised FA to TCB.
8. Let the car sleep or reset the ecu using ista. Ista should now report that the HU and TCB is programmed for another car.
9. Both the HU and TCB now should have the same donor VIN.
10. You should now be able to receive sms from Connecteddrive and remote services should be working.

Now the thing that ruined my retrofit was I accidentally coded the TCB again but with the car’s VIN. It removed the donor vin and now it is the car’s vin. Once this is done I cannot change the VIN back to donor’s VIN. The only way to make the tcb work is to manually change the VIN in TCB cafd file by Fdl coding the VIN. All connected drive options work in the car but I cannot use the remote services anymore.

Annoying but at least I got almost everything. Only the remote services missing.

Last edited by Raygbmw1; 02-23-2019 at 07:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2019, 07:50 AM   #20
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raygbmw1 View Post
This is what I did to make it all work.

1. Bought a FSC kit from FSCMap.com for the Donor VIN
2. Install an emulator.
3. Retrofit the tcb.
4. Hook up ESys.
5. Read and save FA
6. Edit FA and change the VIN to the donor's in the FA
7. Injected a Cafd file using the revised FA to TCB.
8. Let the car sleep or reset the ecu using ista. Ista should now report that the HU and TCB is programmed for another car.
9. Both the HU and TCB now should have the same donor VIN.
10. You should now be able to receive sms from Connecteddrive and remote services should be working.

Now the thing that ruined my retrofit was I accidentally coded the TCB again but with the car's VIN. It removed the donor vin and now it is the car's vin. Once this is done I cannot change the VIN back to donor's VIN. All connected drive options work in the car but I cannot use the remote services anymore.
Appreciated the post man I actually did this back when I was trying and I had both matching and connected drive showing up but the service was down for the longest time it kept saying maintenance and then my emulator broke so now I've been waiting to order a new emulator so I could re connect my tcb LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 07:57 AM   #21
Raygbmw1
Australia
Rep
Drives: Bmw116 F20

Ok looks like you’ll have the full services. Make sure you check the vin in both the HU and TCB and never do any coding to the Retrofitted TCB. If the dealer reprogram the car you’d loose the remote services.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 08:55 AM   #22
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raygbmw1 View Post
Ok looks like you'll have the full services. Make sure you check the vin in both the HU and TCB and never do any coding to the Retrofitted TCB. If the dealer reprogram the car you'd loose the remote services.
Yep actually real quick did you have a period where the services were under maintenance l?
Appreciate 0