F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ER Downpipe (Catless) Installed
proTUNING Freaks

01-22-2019, 09:11 AM   #1
NVETHIS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M Comp

Garage List
ER Downpipe (Catless) Installed

So I installed my ER downpipe (catless) hoping it was the cause of smoking from the exhaust/engine. I found after pulling the stock downpipe the valve cover gasket was actually the culprit. Anyway, to the point of the post, I was expecting it to be much louder that it is. I still have the stock exhaust. I was surprised how it sounded almost exactly the same. I have Bootmod3 Stage 2 93 Octane tune on it.
All in all I'm glad I was able to get the new downpipe installed and the valve cover gasket replaced. The ER downpipe is great quality and it fit right in. The worst part was removing the stock downpipe. Took about 3.5 hours to get the whole thing out, mostly because the v-band bolts were seized and to get to the upper bolt was extremely tight spaced. I ended up using a cutting wheel on the lower v-band and a recrip. saw on the upper bolt. I was smart and bought new v-band clamps.

-NVE

Last edited by NVETHIS; 01-22-2019 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVETHIS View Post
So I installed my ER downpipe (catless) hoping it was the cause of smoking from the exhaust/engine. I found after pulling the stock downpipe the valve cover gasket was actually the culprit. Anyway, to the point of the post, I was expecting it to be much louder that it is. I still have the stock exhaust. I was surprised how it sounded almost exactly the same. I have Bootmod3 Stage 2 93 Octane tune on it.
All in all I'm glad I was able to get the new downpipe installed and the valve cover gasket replaced. The ER downpipe is great quality and it fit right in. The worst part was removing the stock downpipe. Took about 3.5 hours to get the whole thing out, mostly because the v-band bolts were seized and to get to the upper bolt was extremely tight spaced. I ended up using a cutting wheel on the lower v-band and a recrip. saw on the upper bolt. I was smart and bought new v-band clamps.

-NVE
Yea the DP adds the most volume under WOT. It's pretty tame cruising and highway. Little louder on cold starts.

Enjoy
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 08:04 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

-NVE
Downpipe will only make a difference on cold start and WOT (Wide Open Throttle). If you want more sound, get the REMUS axle back

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 08:32 PM   #4
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:

-NVE
Did you do the valve cover gasket yourself ? I see you did your dp.
      01-23-2019, 11:24 AM   #5
NVETHIS
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post
Did you do the valve cover gasket yourself ? I see you did your dp.
Yes. After I got the downpipe off, discovered it wasn't the cause and was almost certainly the VCG, I put the new ER-DP in and pulled the valve cover off. I had to source a VCG from BMW in Richmond (70 miles S of my friends place) but got back and the VCG changed out, new oil, in about 2 hours. Form what I heard it's quite expensive at the dealer.

A shot of the Valve cover off:

-NVE
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 11:55 AM   #6
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Downpipes are one of the beat mods you can do after a tune.. Glad you are enjoying it and thanks for sharing!!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 09:19 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Is this the Burger Tuning intake?

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 09:35 PM   #8
NVETHIS
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Is this the Burger Tuning intake?
Yes it is. It was my first bolt on when I got the car!!! It totally made the turbo and recirc able to be heard. Excellent quality and perfect fit.

-NVE
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 09:37 PM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes it is. It was my first bolt on when I got the car!!! It totally made the turbo and recirc able to be heard. Excellent quality and perfect fit.

-NVE
When was the last time you changed the filter?

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 09:40 PM   #10
NVETHIS
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

-NVE
Ehhh, yeahhhh. I've definitely neglected that aspect, busy life (broken car). : It needs some attention.

-NVE
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 12:11 AM   #11
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

-NVE
Ehhh, yeahhhh. I've definitely neglected that aspect, busy life (broken car). : It needs some attention.

-NVE
Isn't the filter blue when it's new...?
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 04:39 AM   #12
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: m135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
iv seen both blue and black? can you get both colours new?

'14 F20 M135i EWG FBO:// INJEN INTAKE // PURE INLET// TURBOSMART BOV DUAL PORT //
//CSF INTERCOOLER // ER CP // SNOW S2.5 METH KIT // B58TU HPFP // NGK 97506 // ER DP // TMSS MID PIPE //MPE // MPBBK // UR STRUT BRACE // BM3 CUSTOM JORDAN E85 TUNE // XHP STAGE 3 //
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 07:23 AM   #13
NVETHIS
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Honestly I don't think it was blue when I got it. I've only probably put 5K miles on it since last year. I do not put a lot of mileage on this car. But regardless, it's due for a cleaning. I'll have to look through my picture gallery and see if I can find a picture of when I first installed it for comparison. I did recently have my radiator explode in my engine bay 3 months ago.

-NVE
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 10:01 AM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristosD View Post
iv seen both blue and black? can you get both colours new?
Quote:
Honestly I don't think it was blue when I got it. I've only probably put 5K miles on it since last year. I do not put a lot of mileage on this car. But regardless, it's due for a cleaning. I'll have to look through my picture gallery and see if I can find a picture of when I first installed it for comparison. I did recently have my radiator explode in my engine bay 3 months ago.

-NVE
Only comes in blue from Burger Tuning

Appreciate 0