F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 M Sport steering wheel retrofit
ARMA SPEED

07-20-2014, 01:39 AM   #1
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
F30 M Sport steering wheel retrofit

I just put down an offer for a brand new F30 M Sport steering wheel which includes the airbag and from my research, it retrofit is pretty much plug and play.

Does anyone know if I'll have any problems with compatibility or fitment on a North American spec'd F30? The steering wheel is coming from the UK and I'm not sure if left hand or right hand drive makes a difference.

I checked the part number 32 30 7 848 338 and it seems like it is used in all markets including the US.

Also, this steering wheel comes with the paddle shifters. Will it be easy to get these working?
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
Tim@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
You noted that you're ordering a wheel from the UK that comes with the airbag. There's a problem. The North American one has the airbag part number 32307845798 while the European one has part number 32307845797. Think it has to do with the Single and Dual Stage ones.

In terms of the paddle shifters, you need to order a new connecting line (wire) for the steering wheel and may also need to add an additional wire somewhere. Though some F30s may already be prewired. There's a thread on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #3
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbits93 View Post
You noted that you're ordering a wheel from the UK that comes with the airbag. There's a problem. The North American one has the airbag part number 32307845798 while the European one has part number 32307845797. Think it has to do with the Single and Dual Stage ones.

In terms of the paddle shifters, you need to order a new connecting line (wire) for the steering wheel and may also need to add an additional wire somewhere. Though some F30s may already be prewired. There's a thread on it.
Good call. I cancelled the offer since you pointed that out. The steering wheel itself seems to be the same worldwide but it didn't make any mention of the airbag.

I'm going to have to see if I can get the airbag somewhere else with that part number.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Just bought one that has the correct part numbers. Thanks Timbits!

Hopefully it'll arrive next week and I can see how it looks with my saddle brown interior.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 09:36 AM   #5
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Here it is !
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 09:39 PM   #6
SIDG335
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xDrive M Sport 8AT

How much did you end up paying for it? Wondering what it could go for. Thinking of selling mine when my car comes in and picking up the Carbon/Alcantara steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 10:55 PM   #7
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
It was $1500 USD shipped to Canada. The first one I saw was only $900 but it wasn't the correct airbag.

Thanks to Timbits93, he gave me the part numbers and I ended up getting the correct one.

If yours is in good condition, you might be able to get rid of yours for $1000 at least.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 08:19 AM   #8
SIDG335
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xDrive M Sport 8AT

Yeah it would be brand new as it would be removed before delivery. My only hesitation is whether the Alcantara wheel would wear with daily use.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 08:48 AM   #9
speed608
Private First Class
Malawi
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
It was $1500 USD shipped to Canada. The first one I saw was only $900 but it wasn't the correct airbag.

Thanks to Timbits93, he gave me the part numbers and I ended up getting the correct one.

If yours is in good condition, you might be able to get rid of yours for $1000 at least.
Hi Aritaurus, does this retrofit require any coding after installation or is it just Plug & Play.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 02:13 AM   #10
iastute
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed608 View Post
Hi Aritaurus, does this retrofit require any coding after installation or is it just Plug & Play.
Did you also have to get the additional wire for the paddles to work? Eager to know as I will be following your footsteps...

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #11
Bvt13
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 AW M4

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
Interested in this as well. Would love to hear the steps required to make this functional.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 01:34 PM   #12
nyczyar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Are all m steering wheel heat compatible?
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #13
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iastute View Post
Did you also have to get the additional wire for the paddles to work? Eager to know as I will be following your footsteps...

TIA!
My friend helped me run the extra wire from one of the connectors on the steering ring over to FEM_BODY.

After that, you just need to change 205 to 2TB on your FA and VO code FEM_BODY, GWS, ICM, KOMBI, EPS and EGS with E-Sys.

Not sure if we're allowed to post links from other forums here but there's a post with the pinout and instructions. I'll shoot you a PM if you want to have a look.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2014, 03:45 PM   #14
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyczyar View Post
Are all m steering wheel heat compatible?
I never had the heated steering wheel so I had nothing to lose. You can always get the heated version and I'd assume it would be plug and play. All the connectors are exactly the same to the non-M Sport steering wheel so minus the paddles, you can get everything working without the need to code anything.

Just make sure you get the proper airbag as mentioned by Timbits93 earlier.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #15
nyczyar
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I never had the heated steering wheel so I had nothing to lose. You can always get the heated version and I'd assume it would be plug and play. All the connectors are exactly the same to the non-M Sport steering wheel so minus the paddles, you can get everything working without the need to code anything.

Just make sure you get the proper airbag as mentioned by Timbits93 earlier.
Oh I see. What about the shift paddlers? My car already have them, will it be plug and play?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #16
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh I see. What about the shift paddlers? My car already have them, will it be plug and play?
Yep, just take out the airbag, unscrew the steering wheel and undo all the connectors, bolt the new steering wheel on and plug everything back in. No coding or wire cutting required.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 12:14 PM   #17
nyczyar
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yep, just take out the airbag, unscrew the steering wheel and undo all the connectors, bolt the new steering wheel on and plug everything back in. No coding or wire cutting required.
Oh I see, so is it possible to get a steering wheel without paddlers and just use my own instead?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 12:22 PM   #18
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh I see, so is it possible to get a steering wheel without paddlers and just use my own instead?
I honestly haven't seen anyone retrofit just the paddles without changing out the steering wheel but if you just get the M sport one that has the paddles then it's plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 07:32 PM   #19
acebrigade
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i

Quote:
you used the original hex bolt from your car? it looks like they're different on the M tech
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 08:36 PM   #20
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
I remember reading somewhere with a change of airbag (from standard sport to M-Sport for instanace as you've done) you need to have the car re-coded for that... Cant remember which post but it was on here somewhere :-\
      01-14-2015, 12:10 PM   #21
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladester100 View Post
I remember reading somewhere with a change of airbag (from standard sport to M-Sport for instanace as you've done) you need to have the car re-coded for that... Cant remember which post but it was on here somewhere :-\
The only coded I did was what was needed to get the paddles working. The Air Bag should be plug and play as I did scan my ACSM module after and it didn't come up with any errors.

On my FEM_BODY module however, I do get a "Steering Wheel - wrong version installed error" which can only be read if you have a code reader or ISTA.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 12:12 PM   #22
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebrigade View Post
you used the original hex bolt from your car? it looks like they're different on the M tech
Nope, it's the same hex bolt.
Appreciate 0