F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > NEW RELEASE: Dinan Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake for F2x M240i, F3x 340i and F3x 440i
Studio RSR

10-05-2018, 12:02 PM   #1
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

NEW RELEASE: Dinan Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake for F2x M240i, F3x 340i and F3x 440i

Name:  B58_Intake_banner_tall.jpg
Views: 7294
Size:  239.1 KB

Product Description: Following in the footsteps of the immensely popular and heralded intake for the BMW N55 engine, the next generation of 6 cylinder intake takes the same path to success. Improve upon the factory design by increasing flow via a larger air box and filter element thereby improving throttle response and lessening the strain on the turbocharger for maximum efficiency. While box and filter enlargement and redesign is a major factor in ultimately producing a more potent intake they are not the only variables in creating a more efficient design either. The devil is in the details which is where Dinan thrives. Coupled with maintaining Dinan's standard practice of utilizing a sealed system to ensure as much cold, outside air as possible is employed Dinan engineers focused their attention on the intake pipe itself where numerous improvements could be made. In factory configuration the intake tube comes complete with baffling and a small helmholtz chamber to reduce unwanted sound. As a byproduct these features also cause a more turbulent air flow path which robs the factory system of potential power. These 2 specific details are diametrically opposed to our intended markets desires so the removal of these features was paramount. Through numerous iterations a carbon fiber intake tube was developed that eliminated flow disruptions and allowed the natural sound of an unimpeded intake tract to sing. All told this thorough methodology of design allows the Dinan carbon fiber cold air intake for the B58 engine to elicit gains of 15 HP and 13 TRQ @ 6000 RPM on a completely stock vehicle. An impressive feat on today's turbocharged engines.

Not to be outdone by the performance side of the equation the B58 intake also is completely made up of carbon fiber unlike 6 cylinder intakes of the past where a mix of materials was used. Not only is the intake completely carbon construction but the quality of the material has been improved over previous generations as well. While looks are surely important, and this piece has that department covered in spades, the improved construction and coating also guarantees that the appearance of the engine bay with the Dinan intake will not be marred over time. Built to present well, perform well, and last the duration, the Dinan B58 carbon fiber cold air intake is a modification that is a must for any high high performance build.

Benefits of the Dinan Carbon Fiber High Flow Air Intake for the F22/F23 M240i, F30/F34 340i and F32/F33/F36 440i:
  • More Power: +15 HP & +13 lb-ft of torque @ 6000 RPM without additional modifications (13 WHP / 11 WTQ)
  • Sportier Sound
  • Improved throttle response
  • Larger volume air box (30% larger than stock) that completely seals
  • 34% increase in filter area (stock: 76.3inē, Dinan: 102.1inē)
  • Optimized carbon fiber intake tube
  • Free flowing injection molded Air Mass Meter housing (8% larger then stock)
  • Quick and easy installation
EMISSIONS NOTICE: Not legal for sale or use in California.

Product Page(s)/Pricing: https://www.dinancars.com/product/d760-0046-dinan-carbon-fiber-cold-air-intake-for-bmw-f22-f32-m240i-f30-f34-340i-f32-f33-f36-440i/?series=&mid=340i/

Availability: Initial allotment of 75 already sold out. Item is currently on back order with our next batch of carbon due in early November.

Name:  D760-0046_3.jpg
Views: 6857
Size:  216.1 KB
Name:  D760-0046_5.jpg
Views: 6767
Size:  267.4 KB
Name:  D760-0046_8.jpg
Views: 6855
Size:  503.4 KB
Name:  D760-0046_6.jpg
Views: 6690
Size:  323.6 KB
Name:  D760-0046_10.jpg
Views: 6650
Size:  232.2 KB
Appreciate 3
nikman011174.50
chenry2355.50
      10-05-2018, 03:01 PM   #2
DJQ87 340i X
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i Xdrive

$600 for an intake Jesus
Appreciate 1
kern4174445.00
      10-05-2018, 04:10 PM   #3
AddictedTo///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

Nice! Anyone have sound clips or reviews on here?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 04:22 PM   #4
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: 922 Turbo

Looks good!
      10-05-2018, 04:23 PM   #5
B58
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJQ87 340i X View Post
$600 for an intake Jesus
I know that' the cost of a BMS meth kit and such, but it does look good and the data is there.
      10-05-2018, 04:25 PM   #6
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedTo///M View Post
Nice! Anyone have sound clips or reviews on here?
Increase in sound is subtle and honestly probably won't come across on a video very well. If your primarily looking for sound out of an intake system then you are better off with an open air intake rather then a closed box design like ours.
Appreciate 3
      10-06-2018, 08:12 AM   #7
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340 Xi

Looking forward to feedback on this!
      10-06-2018, 07:18 PM   #8
eksigned
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4er

Prove to us that your intake doesn't hold the reputation of your guys' tunes for the B58 platform. I'm just saying...that your guys' reputation has literally gone down the drain (especially after the headaches of those who have actually held their hands up for help with warranty). I'm not trying to pick a fight here, and I WANT TO LIKE YOUR GUYS' PRODUCTS...I mean c'mon...you're essentially the first to make an enclosed intake for this platform (AFE doesn't count )...and it looks beautiful. But can we trust your products to do as advertised???
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 09:14 PM   #9
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksigned View Post
Prove to us that your intake doesn't hold the reputation of your guys' tunes for the B58 platform. I'm just saying...that your guys' reputation has literally gone down the drain (especially after the headaches of those who have actually held their hands up for help with warranty). I'm not trying to pick a fight here, and I WANT TO LIKE YOUR GUYS' PRODUCTS...I mean c'mon...you're essentially the first to make an enclosed intake for this platform (AFE doesn't count )...and it looks beautiful. But can we trust your products to do as advertised???
lol, what do you expect them to respond to that

I think it looks beautiful and lets be real. Many people buy intakes for the looks. No one will fill an extra 5 hp across the power band.
      10-07-2018, 12:18 AM   #10
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many BMWs

Functionally speaking....How is this better (or different - other than the carbon fiber finish) than the AFE - which has been on the market for over a year - they both seem to use the factory bottom half of the air box and pair it with a different top piece and open element filter -

A forum member here just said the AFE wasn't really worth the money - and that was at a price point 50% less than the Dinan

**first 75 units sold out....why?** if the AFE has been an option
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 01:51 AM   #11
eksigned
Lieutenant
Rep

why is the connecting arm not in CF? does this not defeat the purpose of CF usage to eliminate heat absorption? also, doesn't that dip in the elbow create, to some extent, turbulent air flow?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 01:52 AM   #12
eksigned
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryo91 View Post

I think it looks beautiful and lets be real. Many people buy intakes for the looks. No one will fill an extra 5 hp across the power band.
hey man, we're all waiting to be impressed!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 10:17 PM   #13
B58
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryo91 View Post

I just rock the bms intake.. not too loud not too quiet due to the silencer still in tact and can’t go wrong with the price with a coupon code applied to the shopping cart. I guess when you’re boosting more the intake does help draw in more air. I went from a drop in filter on my mk7 gti pushing 26-28 psi peak to a upgraded intake and it made the worlds difference on that car.... it did have meth though.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 04:44 AM   #14
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 View Post
I just rock the bms intake.. not too loud not too quiet due to the silencer still in tact and can’t go wrong with the price with a coupon code applied to the shopping cart. I guess when you’re boosting more the intake does help draw in more air. I went from a drop in filter on my mk7 gti pushing 26-28 psi peak to a upgraded intake and it made the worlds difference on that car.... it did have meth though.
True, when you're min-maxing like that I think each component does count
      10-08-2018, 10:18 AM   #15
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ultimately we will have 75 examples in the field to report if what we say can be trusted. Anything coming from my mouth obviously doesn't hold much weight. =)

I can only point to 2 years of development on this intake. We have ridiculous demand for this product and have had that demand for that entire time but we kept tweaking it in order to get it right rather then release a product that was subpar. We want to make money just like any other company but we don't want to rush it if it can be avoided either. And yes, we have taken a bit of a hit to the reputation due to the B58 tuners (2 series specifically) but we are actively trying to resolve those outliers (have (3) 2-Series cars in the shop this week). We have always, and will always, stand behind our products so if it creates an issue we will resolve the problem in one way or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPenland View Post
Functionally speaking....How is this better (or different - other than the carbon fiber finish) than the AFE - which has been on the market for over a year - they both seem to use the factory bottom half of the air box and pair it with a different top piece and open element filter -

A forum member here just said the AFE wasn't really worth the money - and that was at a price point 50% less than the Dinan

**first 75 units sold out....why?** if the AFE has been an option
We have never tested the AFE option so I can't say what exactly the precise differences may be. Ultimately if the price point is not what you deem acceptable then their other options in the marketplace which is good for the end-user. Generally speaking I find it poor form to compare competing products in a public sphere as it typically comes off as bashing but there are differences (CF and volume being the obvious ones).

Quote:
why is the connecting arm not in CF? does this not defeat the purpose of CF usage to eliminate heat absorption? also, doesn't that dip in the elbow create, to some extent, turbulent air flow?
Connecting arm houses the AMM/AFM which needs to be precise. CF, even when using a mold is still a hand process that has some amount of variation, especially when you are talking about a section where a factory sensor plugs into. An injection molded plastic piece provides that preciseness.

The dip in the elbow is one of the main reasons that the intake took so long to release. Went through at least a dozen variations trying to minimize the disruption to the flow caused by the radiator bracketry that makes that dimple necessary.
Appreciate 8
eksigned139.00
fb5830.00
nikman011174.50
Beek707.00
B58557.50
      10-08-2018, 10:42 AM   #16
eksigned
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Ultimately we will have 75 examples in the field to report if what we say can be trusted. Anything coming from my mouth obviously doesn't hold much weight. =)

I can only point to 2 years of development on this intake. We have ridiculous demand for this product and have had that demand for that entire time but we kept tweaking it in order to get it right rather then release a product that was subpar. We want to make money just like any other company but we don't want to rush it if it can be avoided either. And yes, we have taken a bit of a hit to the reputation due to the B58 tuners (2 series specifically) but we are actively trying to resolve those outliers (have (3) 2-Series cars in the shop this week). We have always, and will always, stand behind our products so if it creates an issue we will resolve the problem in one way or another.

We have never tested the AFE option so I can't say what exactly the precise differences may be. Ultimately if the price point is not what you deem acceptable then their other options in the marketplace which is good for the end-user. Generally speaking I find it poor form to compare competing products in a public sphere as it typically comes off as bashing but there are differences (CF and volume being the obvious ones).

Connecting arm houses the AMM/AFM which needs to be precise. CF, even when using a mold is still a hand process that has some amount of variation, especially when you are talking about a section where a factory sensor plugs into. An injection molded plastic piece provides that preciseness.

The dip in the elbow is one of the main reasons that the intake took so long to release. Went through at least a dozen variations trying to minimize the disruption to the flow caused by the radiator bracketry that makes that dimple necessary.
For the record, your reply is much appreciated!
Appreciate 4
      10-08-2018, 11:45 AM   #17
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep
Drives: 340i

Does this work with both rad bracket or only the older ones?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #18
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
Does this work with both rad bracket or only the older ones?
Every vehicle we have seen thus far from 2016-2018 incorporates that same radiator bracket/clip that we are clearing with the dimple. Even a new dealership showroom 430i CV we have in the shop right now utilizes the same radiator bracket/clip.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 01:23 PM   #19
madmortar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport

Will there be a stage 2 tuning in the future?
Right now, you have a stage 1 tune, exhaust, midpipe, and intake.
The exhaust/midpipe/intake make a bit more power on their own on top of stage 1 tune but....plans for a new tune to take full potential of the intake and exhaust?

FMIC plans?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 02:30 PM   #20
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmortar View Post
Will there be a stage 2 tuning in the future?
Right now, you have a stage 1 tune, exhaust, midpipe, and intake.
The exhaust/midpipe/intake make a bit more power on their own on top of stage 1 tune but....plans for a new tune to take full potential of the intake and exhaust?

FMIC plans?
*From the 2 series side* Stage 2 is a bit of a hot button around here right now and I don't have a concrete answer to be honest. All I can say is the B58 is in a development cycle right now with a lot different different avenues being pursued. I realize this is a "non-answer" but its what I got to work with.

There are no plans for an intercooler as the stock one is integrated into the intake manifold making that a non-starter. We have been looking at potentially doing a heat exchanger like the M3/M4 but it is already oversized in stock trim so who know if anything will come of that. Initial testing of that idea did not see any meaningful advantages.
Appreciate 1
jalkster220.00
      10-09-2018, 02:38 PM   #21
madmortar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
*From the 2 series side* Stage 2 is a bit of a hot button around here right now and I don't have a concrete answer to be honest. All I can say is the B58 is in a development cycle right now with a lot different different avenues being pursued. I realize this is a "non-answer" but its what I got to work with.

There are no plans for an intercooler as the stock one is integrated into the intake manifold making that a non-starter. We have been looking at potentially doing a heat exchanger like the M3/M4 but it is already oversized in stock trim so who know if anything will come of that. Initial testing of that idea did not see any meaningful advantages.
Got it, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 10:58 PM   #22
ONEof500
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 30 Jahre

If not legal for sale in California then why the prop 65 warning?
Appreciate 0