F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Do you use the paddle shifters?
proTUNING Freaks

09-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #67
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

I loved my f30 until I drove my girls e82. Can't wait till my lease it up to get an m2. Lol
To answer the paddle shifter retrofit you could and either have them for looks or pay quite a bit for it.

The f30 is still a great car but I'm just used to bumpy sportier cars
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 12:17 AM   #68
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
As a (former) manual die hard, I have to say that the 8AT is not a replacement for a MT but something different altogether. Ideally I would have at least one of each. I'll take the 6MT in my sports car and the 8AT in my daily driver please...
That's exactly what I've concluded and have been saying.

This is not this vs that comparison. Yes, either trans type essentially does the same, change gears. But how they go about doing that is different, and thus each type has it's good and bad points.

Which type a person prefers is all about personal preference and what one wants from the driving experience, as both trans types offer something unique.

This new ZF sport AT is a game changer imo. The only way to make a real educated decision is by trying both. If you're using your former experiences with older, traditional function torque converter AT's, then your basis is old and you're missing required data. That's not to say you will instantly want the AT over an MT, rather, it's about experiencing how this new trans works and being quite surprised that it can be that good.

I just got back from a trip in southern Indiana. I took some time to drive the excellent very twisty roads with elevation changes at high speed at times.
I really put this trans through the paces and it performed flawlessly.
It added something new, for me, to the spirited driving experience.

Yes, I still miss having an MT, but on those roads at those speeds, this AT really showed what it can offer. I finally used the paddle shifters as intended and it was really cool to not have to move my hand from the wheel to shift, nor have to do the fancy foot dance to rev match down shifts while heel/toeing to slow for the turns. Yes, that IS fun with an MT, but there is a different fun with being able to enjoy the handling/steering, braking and throttle without the necessity to do the foot dance.
It's a unique experience doing a 4 gear downshift as the trans will do it in only 2 shifts whereas older auto's and most dual clutches have to do it in 3 or 4 shifts. This trans can actually skip gears and that's what makes it even faster than most dual clutch trannys.

The shift speed and precision is sublime and you find the right gear every time. The downshifts are so perfect there is no chassis smoothness disruption which makes going into the turn smoother and you want to go faster because of the added feeling of smoothness.
I also found I didn't need to use the brake as much as I would with an MT as I had more time to think about and set up the next turn.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #69
N-Y
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

has anybody been able to upgrade the shifter after purchasing the car?... i love the look of the leather base, plus apparently performs slightly better
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 01:10 AM   #70
DesertSmokeBBQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
I have the paddles and while I love the aesthetics (nice, chunky pieces of aluminum), I find that I use them a lot less than previous cars that were equipped with them. What I DO enjoy is Sport auto in Sport, Sport selected. I find this is the most pleading set-up 90% of the time.

Traded 9-1-13 '13 Estoril Blue II F30 - 328i - ZMM - ZPP -ZDY - ZTB - 403 - 465 - 494 - 4DX- LC (Black) - 6NL
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 01:12 AM   #71
DesertSmokeBBQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079
This is just a display on the info screen that you can bring up via iDrive that shows 2 gauges that simulate the HP and torque you are achieving in real time. It's kind of gimmicky.

Check it out at approx 3:45 in this You Tube video:

You can actually bring up this display even if you didnt opt for sport auto as I was able to bring up this menu on a 328i sport line I test drove this weekend that had the "standard" auto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbahoshy View Post
You can do this in a no line car and in comfort mode too through idrive
Only if you have navi. I've tried this in my non-navi car but its not an option.

Traded 9-1-13 '13 Estoril Blue II F30 - 328i - ZMM - ZPP -ZDY - ZTB - 403 - 465 - 494 - 4DX- LC (Black) - 6NL
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #72
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
It's a unique experience doing a 4 gear downshift as the trans will do it in only 2 shifts whereas older auto's and most dual clutches have to do it in 3 or 4 shifts. This trans can actually skip gears and that's what makes it even faster than most dual clutch trannys.
The ZF is great, but it doesn't necessarily shift faster than a DCT. A DCT takes at most 2 shifts while the ZF can do it in 1. The main difference is in smoothness, since the DCT has to rev match while the ZF torque converter can absorb most of the jerk.
      04-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #73
Waterbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Comp

I don't use my paddles - being a previous MT guy, I still drive with one hand on the shifter out of habit. That is where the sport shifter (which I have replaced with the carbon fiber stick) is key. Far more comfortable in the palm.

As a guy with small hands (yes, I said it), I find the paddles are not really in the right position to use anyway.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #74
MiamiF30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 328I AW Sportline

Garage List
2008 BMW 550I  [0.00]
Paddles-oh verrated...
      04-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #75
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

I like having the paddles, but do not use them all that often. Especially in Sport mode, the transmission is downright telepathic left to its own devices. My last car had a 5-speed automatic and I used the paddles constantly, but this 8-speed is just so damn smart.

One area I don't find so smart: I wish the transmission would stay in 7th and 8th gears in Sport mode. If I upshift with the paddles, the transmission automatically shifts back to 6th after 2 seconds unless the shifter is in manual mode. I don't like the light steering in Comfort or EcoPro modes, but also want to be in 8th gear on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #76
AstonKarim
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi RS5 Sportback

only use them when I get passengers that ask, but it is definitely enjoyable, shifts are lightning fast.

SOLD 2013 BMW 335i M Sport Xdrive / MPPK / MPE / Alpine White / Black Dakota Leather / M Sport Brake / 19"Style 403m / M Perf Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #77
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseSRQ View Post
I like having the paddles, but do not use them all that often. Especially in Sport mode, the transmission is downright telepathic left to its own devices. My last car had a 5-speed automatic and I used the paddles constantly, but this 8-speed is just so damn smart.

One area I don't find so smart: I wish the transmission would stay in 7th and 8th gears in Sport mode. If I upshift with the paddles, the transmission automatically shifts back to 6th after 2 seconds unless the shifter is in manual mode. I don't like the light steering in Comfort or EcoPro modes, but also want to be in 8th gear on the highway.
Your car is telling you to man up

But in seriousness...you are saying it's impossible set dampers/steering to stiff but throttle/shift to eco? I can see that being slightly annoying...

Maybe you can change this with some coding?
      04-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #78
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

Correct. You cannot interchange the throttle/transmission/steering settings defined by the EcoPro, Comfort, Sport, and Sport+ Modes. (Not sure on suspension as I don't have the adaptive suspension.)

Anyone know if there is a setting that can be coded for this?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #79
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Yeah, I do wish the various settings were more configurable with the DHP option.

For example, when I'm traveling some back roads that are poorly maintained I wish I could have the Comfort suspension setting yet the Sport steering firmness. That would be ideal.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #80
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseSRQ View Post
I wish the transmission would stay in 7th and 8th gears in Sport mode. If I upshift with the paddles, the transmission automatically shifts back to 6th after 2 seconds unless the shifter is in manual mode. I don't like the light steering in Comfort or EcoPro modes, but also want to be in 8th gear on the highway.
Of course, as you noted, the easy solution is to place the shifter in manual mode. Trivially accomplished.

At least with the adaptive suspension, once can set the throttle/shifting to comfort with the chassis in sport.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #81
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Tbh, i don't like the paddle shifters at all, i had to opt that option out before placing my order with the M-Sport pkg.
IMO, paddle shifters just makes driving easy and makes you forget about how a car should be really be driven.
      04-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #82
BruceOmega
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sportline

FWIW,

For more agressive driving, I do not use the paddles but put the car and the transmission in Sport mode, and I find it very responsive.

Where I do use the paddles is when driving in Comfort mode and occasionally climbing a hill. Rather than going into Sport mode, or depressing the gas pedal enough to have the transmission downshift, I use the paddles to do a temporary downshift one or even 2 gears so its easier for the car to maintain speed.

Bruce
      04-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #83
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

I use the paddles all the time, I use the gears to slow down and the paddles are great.
      04-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #84
Boogalu
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 13 328i(SOLD) GS 16 435i GC

I know alot of the more seasoned vets have alot of experience using MT and compare it to the 8AT..but with me..I just go this 2 weeks ago and within those two weeks i use the paddles either 4-5 times a day. either for quick shifts to pass someone or just to use it to get to school to try a different drive feel. to me its its pretty exciting and can make the drive alot more fun. going from 65mph to 90 with a couple of pulls is really enjoyable

Driving my pops CLS55 AMG and comparing it to this the shifts are so much quicker!! the engine power alone kills my 328i but since we are just talking about the paddles then we win hands down!!

**note - i do not condone or support speeding on the freeway as it is unsafe and can lead to tickets.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #85
Elk
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
Where I do use the paddles is when driving in Comfort mode and occasionally climbing a hill. Rather than going into Sport mode, or depressing the gas pedal enough to have the transmission downshift, I use the paddles to do a temporary downshift one or even 2 gears so its easier for the car to maintain speed.
Amusingly I do the opposite: I use the paddles to shift back up when the AT unnecessarily shifts down when facing a tiny bit of load. There is no need for a down shift most of the time when going up a hill.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #86
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
I use the paddles all the time, I use the gears to slow down and the paddles are great.
I use the paddles all the time as well. Practically 95% of the time. This is why I don't care too much about programming the ass out of ASS. For me, its either that, or go back to a manual car... I find it weird when I'm driving in fully auto and don't know when its going to shift.

I read this thread way back when I ordered the car and listenned to RPM90's comments. I view as not a manual ( and not trying to be really ), but not an auto as well.
      04-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #87
BruceOmega
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
..... There is no need for a down shift most of the time when going up a hill.
Even when you want to maintain speed on an uphill?

My personal preference on hilly terrain, as opposed to rolling terrain, is to use a lower gear going up-hill rather than slowing down or pushing as hard on the gas pedal.

Bruce
      04-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #88
Elk
Major
Rep

Yes; the car has plenty of power to maintain speed going uphill with a bit more throttle. Similarly, with an MT, I rarely shift down merely because there is a hill. ATs are overly eager to downshift with every slight load increase.

If one cares, the higher gear gets a bit better gas mileage due to the lower RPMs and greater thermal efficiency.

There are, of course, exceptions such as low speed on a very steep hill where a shift is required to avoid lugging the engine.
Appreciate 0