F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > OE look subwoofer enclosure
Studio RSR

01-16-2018, 02:33 PM   #1
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

OE look subwoofer enclosure

Does anyone know anyone who sells a OE look subwoofer enclosure.

I know Musicar and integral sells them but I can't fathom paying 500 for a box. Anyone know anyone who makes these custom?
      01-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #2
lkstaack
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Check out Visual Ice: https://www.facebook.com/Visual-Ice-421234901385701/. I paid under $200, including shipping, for a box made in the UK. They integrate into the nook on the driver's side. About a 3-week turnaround time. I haven't received mine yet, but there are pictures on the net.
Appreciate 1
yoon_209365.00
      01-16-2018, 05:09 PM   #3
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
Check out Visual Ice: https://www.facebook.com/Visual-Ice-421234901385701/. I paid under $200, including shipping, for a box made in the UK. They integrate into the nook on the driver's side. About a 3-week turnaround time. I haven't received mine yet, but there are pictures on the net.
Thanks. I sent them a PM. Please post pics once you receive it. I found a guy on IG called bimmerbox but he charges $400 too. I seriously dont understand the pricing.
      01-22-2018, 11:27 PM   #4
lkstaack
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoon_209 View Post
Thanks. I sent them a PM. Please post pics once you receive it. I found a guy on IG called bimmerbox but he charges $400 too. I seriously dont understand the pricing.
Box came in after being misdirected at the source. Box seems strong and rugged. The back and sides aren't pretty, but you never see them once mounted. Came with fill, so I won't have to all polyfill. Although the pictures don't show it very well, the enclosure carpet is a little lighter than the BMW carpet. However, the enclosure fits into the crevice like a glove; I'm going to bolt it to the side and it'll stay there. I'll install it this weekend.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
yoon_209365.00
Soul_Glo13352.00
      01-23-2018, 10:42 AM   #5
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Box came in after being misdirected at the source. Box seems strong and rugged. The back and sides aren't pretty, but you never see them once mounted. Came with fill, so I won't have to all polyfill. Although the pictures don't show it very well, the enclosure carpet is a little lighter than the BMW carpet. However, the enclosure fits into the crevice like a glove; I'm going to bolt it to the side and it'll stay there. I'll install it this weekend.
Looks pretty good. The quality is decent especially for that price point when all the competitors are selling at 4x the price. Thanks for the update. Hopefully mine doesnt get lost in the mail and looks just as good.
      01-23-2018, 02:41 PM   #6
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looks pretty good. The quality is decent especially for that price point when all the competitors are selling at 4x the price. Thanks for the update. Hopefully mine doesnt get lost in the mail and looks just as good.
How do you plan on bolting it?

Visual said that he recommends velcro and it seems like a feasible idea.
      01-23-2018, 02:59 PM   #7
lkstaack
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How do you plan on bolting it?

Visual said that he recommends velcro and it seems like a feasible idea.
The enclosure fits into the crevice so well that gravity could hold it in place if there wasn't much force acting upon it. The supplied velcro (and they do supply a lot) will probably be able to prevent it from coming out under spirited driving. However, I want it to stay in place in the event of an accident; otherwise it could be a missile.

They provide a long bolt with fender washers and a wing nut. First drill a hole through the enclosure with matching hole through the interior liner (seems to be some kind of pressed fiber). Then, insert the bolt through the liner and into the enclosure. Tighten the wingnut down. Secure the liner to the body.
Appreciate 2
yoon_209365.00
      01-23-2018, 04:33 PM   #8
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i xdrive Gran Coupe

Looks very nice! I am seriously considering this enclosure as well, maybe I'll get one for my car once the weather gets warm again.

What driver are you going to put into the enclosure? How is the driver secured to the enclosure?
      01-23-2018, 11:11 PM   #9
lkstaack
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurrs View Post
Looks very nice! I am seriously considering this enclosure as well, maybe I'll get one for my car once the weather gets warm again.

What driver are you going to put into the enclosure? How is the driver secured to the enclosure?
JL Audio 10W3v3-2
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 11:19 PM   #10
lkstaack
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The opening diameter for the speaker seems to be a little too large for my driver. It's about 1/2" wider than the widest part of the driver. So, I have to angle the mounting screws a little outward to ensure I get bite. This is disappointing because I told Visual Ice which driver I was going to use and they indicated that the opening would be sized for it.

I also drilled a hole through the enclosure and trunk liner for the retaining bolt. While the enclosure came with a bolt, two washers and a wing nut, I sourced a rubber washer to ensure the enclosure would remain sealed.

The enclosure carpeting is definitely too light for the dark charcoal color of my trunk lining. So, I just applied some Rit dye to it, so I'll see how it turns out. I attached 12 gauge speaker cable to the integrated speaker terminals that came with quality crimp connections designed for the bolt on terminals. They aren't coming off.
Attached Images

Last edited by lkstaack; 01-23-2018 at 11:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 11:33 PM   #11
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

When you get the woofer mounted, I would love to see the final fitment in the enclosure. Are you able to still get a good seal between the woofer frame and enclosure? Maybe they sized the opening for a 12" driver?
      01-24-2018, 09:17 AM   #12
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The opening diameter for the speaker seems to be a little too large for my driver. It's about 1/2" wider than the widest part of the driver. So, I have to angle the mounting screws a little outward to ensure I get bite. This is disappointing because I told Visual Ice which driver I was going to use and they indicated that the opening would be sized for it.

I also drilled a hole through the enclosure and trunk liner for the retaining bolt. While the enclosure came with a bolt, two washers and a wing nut, I sourced a rubber washer to ensure the enclosure would remain sealed.

The enclosure carpeting is definitely too light for the dark charcoal color of my trunk lining. So, I just applied some Rit dye to it, so I'll see how it turns out. I attached 12 gauge speaker cable to the integrated speaker terminals that came with quality crimp connections designed for the bolt on terminals. They aren't coming off.
I plan on installing the same JL 10 w3 as well. hopefully its not an issue
      01-24-2018, 03:33 PM   #13
x328x
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M Sport

Quote:

Looks good. Was this from visual ic? I saw they can finish this in gloss carbon fiber. Looked great

Out of curiosity whats the internal volume of these closures. Certain subs prefer a certain volume
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 03:41 PM   #14
lkstaack
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x328x View Post
Looks good. Was this from visual ic? I saw they can finish this in gloss carbon fiber. Looked great

Out of curiosity whats the internal volume of these closures. Certain subs prefer a certain volume
I didn't measure it myself, but they claim .75 ft3.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 05:11 PM   #15
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I didn't measure it myself, but they claim .75 ft3.
how is everthing after install?
      01-30-2018, 11:25 PM   #16
lkstaack
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm just about done. The enclosure matches the stock BMW trunk carpeting after dying it black (though the pictures seem to show that it is much lighter).

Name:  Sub.jpg
Views: 8078
Size:  150.8 KB

I mounted the enclosure to the trunk liner with the expectation I would not be removing it any time soon (unlike enclosures that use the battery cubby that have to be removed every time you service the battery). I am pleased at how it integrates with the trunk; it doesn't use too much trunk space and it doesn't look out of place.

Props to CleavlandBeemer who inspired the amp placement: My F30 Sub Build. I chose to mount the LC2 inside the trunk cubby so that I had access to it and didn't have to drill large holes into the cubby wall. That wall is thick and hard, and requires a sharp bit, a powerful drill, oil, and patience to drill through. I drilled two 1/4" holes on the sub-side and two 5/8" holes on the battery-side in order to get cables and wires through the right places. The wall thickness was too great for regular grommets, so I pressed in plastic hole plugs drilled out for cables/wires. I also covered just about every metal surface in the turnk with sound deadner.

Name:  Amp.jpg
Views: 5791
Size:  172.0 KB

I'm not certain if I mentioned the hardware I installed. It starts with the "add-a-sub" T-Harness I bought from Technic that splits off the high-power sub speaker wires. This runs to a Audio Contrl LC2i line out converter to convert the high power signal to a low power RCA output. The RCAs run to a JL Audio Jx500 mono amp, and the amp powers a JL Audio 10W3v3 subwoofer. The amp has an optional remote bass control that I ran to my center console.

Name:  Dial.jpg
Views: 5749
Size:  104.2 KB

Now I'll be spending some time figuring out what sounds best. I currently have the amp crossed at 80Hz. The underseat Bav Sound woofers integrate well with the sub at louder sound levels, but not so much at lower levels. I don't know if there is anything I can do about this, but I'll keep trying different things. Let me know if you have any questions about my install.
Appreciate 1
yoon_209365.00
      01-31-2018, 11:11 AM   #17
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm just about done. The enclosure matches the stock BMW trunk carpeting after dying it black (though the pictures seem to show that it is much lighter).

Attachment 1760979

I mounted the enclosure to the trunk liner with the expectation I would not be removing it any time soon (unlike enclosures that use the battery cubby that have to be removed every time you service the battery). I am pleased at how it integrates with the trunk; it doesn't use too much trunk space and it doesn't look out of place.

Props to CleavlandBeemer who inspired the amp placement: My F30 Sub Build. I chose to mount the LC2 inside the trunk cubby so that I had access to it and didn't have to drill large holes into the cubby wall. That wall is thick and hard, and requires a sharp bit, a powerful drill, oil, and patience to drill through. I drilled two 1/4" holes on the sub-side and two 5/8" holes on the battery-side in order to get cables and wires through the right places. The wall thickness was too great for regular grommets, so I pressed in plastic hole plugs drilled out for cables/wires. I also covered just about every metal surface in the turnk with sound deadner.

Attachment 1760978

I'm not certain if I mentioned the hardware I installed. It starts with the "add-a-sub" T-Harness I bought from Technic that splits off the high-power sub speaker wires. This runs to a Audio Contrl LC2i line out converter to convert the high power signal to a low power RCA output. The RCAs run to a JL Audio Jx500 mono amp, and the amp powers a JL Audio 10W3v3 subwoofer. The amp has an optional remote bass control that I ran to my center console.

Attachment 1760980

Now I'll be spending some time figuring out what sounds best. I currently have the amp crossed at 80Hz. The underseat Bav Sound woofers integrate well with the sub at louder sound levels, but not so much at lower levels. I don't know if there is anything I can do about this, but I'll keep trying different things. Let me know if you have any questions about my install.
Everything looks real nice. The sub integrates well into the trunk. I have the same exact setup right now. I purchased a harness from technic as well but the LOC that came with the harness is some generic brand. I am also running everything in the trunk cubby. Although it sucks that we don't have a spare the empty cubbies are perfect for a stealth place to put your amps. Still waiting on my box as it is currently on its way. Once again thanks for the info about Visual Ice.

Did you order the harness and ask for the LC2 LOC? mine came with some generic brand LOC. What system are you running, HIFI or HK? Did you mount you amp to a board covered in car fabric? After the sub Im debating on upgrading the speakers to bavsound. I've heard that even on factory amp it makes a world of a difference. Maybe possibly upgrade to the bimmertech amp if i can find a good one used.

Last edited by yoon_209; 01-31-2018 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 12:00 PM   #18
lkstaack
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you order the harness and ask for the LC2 LOC? mine came with some generic brand LOC. What system are you running, HIFI or HK? Did you mount you amp to a board covered in car fabric?
I ordered the Technic harness without LOC and then ordered the LC2i on Amazon. Hardware is screwed to plywood covered in fabric that is screwed to cubby. I probably wouldn't have used the harness if I had HiFi; I would have just replaced the amp.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 12:34 PM   #19
viperguy212
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i

Thanks for the update on this @Ikstaack. I recently just copied you lol. VisualIce sub box and all. I'll be sure to post when mine's up and running.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 01:32 PM   #20
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
What did you use to dye it black?

Did the woofer fit ok in the box?
      01-31-2018, 01:39 PM   #21
lkstaack
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What did you use to dye it black?
Black Rit dye. Available at Walmart.

Quote:
Did the woofer fit ok in the box?
Yes, though it was a bit loose as I indicated earlier. T-bolts were not an option.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2018, 11:55 PM   #22
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Attachment 1760979

Attachment 1760978

Attachment 1760980

[IMG]undefined[/IMG]

box came in today.

fits perfectly snug without velcro, sub fits perfect and the color matches as well.
Attached Images