F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > California will test for tuned cars with new SMOG requirement
Extreme Powerhouse

07-14-2021, 06:00 PM   #1
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

California will test for tuned cars with new SMOG requirement

Anyone know more about how they detect a tune? Also, if a car flashed back to stock and locked will show as a "tuned" car?

From what some other people said, it looks like they are looking at a CVN checksum value.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...g-smog-checks/
      07-14-2021, 09:08 PM   #2
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

my car turns 8 soon!!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 12:45 PM   #3
Rockinryan2424
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 328xi m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Anyone know more about how they detect a tune? Also, if a car flashed back to stock and locked will show as a "tuned" car?

From what some other people said, it looks like they are looking at a CVN checksum value.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...g-smog-checks/
Even if you flash it back to stock they can tell you unlocked it before we are all fucked hopefully it stays in California 🙇*♀️
      07-16-2021, 10:09 AM   #4
Sad N26
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinryan2424 View Post
Even if you flash it back to stock they can tell you unlocked it before we are all fucked hopefully it stays in California ��*♀️
Really? This part of the Road & Track article seems to say otherwise:

"Before your vehicle will pass a Smog Check, you must have the vehicle’s software restored to the OEM software version. Once the software is restored, have your vehicle reinspected by a licensed Smog Check station. Note that vehicles initially directed to a STAR or Referee station must return to the same station type to complete the inspection process."

Looks like piggyback chips from reputable tuners will be the way to go. (i.e., DinanTronic Sport Tuner, JB+, etc.) Just unplug and pass SMOG. Plug it right back in after you pass.
2016 328i XDrive N26 8AT: K&N Drop-In Filter * GPlus FMIC * ER Chargepipe * DinanTronics Sport Tuner (Race +4psi) * AWE Midpipe (2nd Cat Delete) * Dinan Axleback Exhaust * Dinan Sport Springs * Megan Racing Front Strut Tower Bar * Cross-Drilled Rotors * Hawk HPS 5.0 Brake Pads * StopTech SS Brake Lines
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 10:13 AM   #5
Rockinryan2424
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 328xi m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad N26 View Post
Quote:
Even if you flash it back to stock they can tell you unlocked it before we are all fucked hopefully it stays in California ��*♀️
Really? This part of the Road & Track article seems to say otherwise:

"Before your vehicle will pass a Smog Check, you must have the vehicle's software restored to the OEM software version. Once the software is restored, have your vehicle reinspected by a licensed Smog Check station. Note that vehicles initially directed to a STAR or Referee station must return to the same station type to complete the inspection process."

Looks like piggyback chips from reputable tuners will be the way to go. (i.e., DinanTronic Sport Tuner, JB+, etc.) Just unplug and pass SMOG. Plug it right back in after you pass.
Before your vehicle will pass a Smog Check, you must have the vehicle's software restored to the OEM software version

OEM Orginal equipment manufacturer meaning you will need to go to the dealership and have them restock it it says it right there you looking at what you wanna look at, flashing back to stock on a flash tune the DME is still unlocked the dealerships can see that you don't think the government can? Lol
      07-16-2021, 11:43 AM   #6
Sad N26
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i X-Drive

Quote:
Before your vehicle will pass a Smog Check, you must have the vehicle's software restored to the OEM software version

OEM Orginal equipment manufacturer meaning you will need to go to the dealership and have them restock it it says it right there you looking at what you wanna look at, flashing back to stock on a flash tune the DME is still unlocked the dealerships can see that you don't think the government can? Lol
I guess what I meant to say is that I don't think it matters if anybody knows that the DME has been unlocked. All that matters is that the OEM tune is running at the time of SMOG testing. Nothing seems to indicate that the government is looking at logs to determine if/when flash tunes were done in the past or that any punishment would be carried out for past DME reflashes.
2016 328i XDrive N26 8AT: K&N Drop-In Filter * GPlus FMIC * ER Chargepipe * DinanTronics Sport Tuner (Race +4psi) * AWE Midpipe (2nd Cat Delete) * Dinan Axleback Exhaust * Dinan Sport Springs * Megan Racing Front Strut Tower Bar * Cross-Drilled Rotors * Hawk HPS 5.0 Brake Pads * StopTech SS Brake Lines
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 01:51 PM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad N26 View Post
I guess what I meant to say is that I don't think it matters if anybody knows that the DME has been unlocked. All that matters is that the OEM tune is running at the time of SMOG testing..
+1. I doubt that the test equipment will have the level of sophistication to detect if a tune has ever been used. All that's required is that OEM or California Air Resources Board (CARB) approved tunes are in place at the time of the test. This doesn't necessarily rule out tunes either, so long as they meet CARB requirements. Any tunes that do will undoubtedly make a point of saying so in their ads and on their websites.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2021, 12:56 PM   #8
Z K
Major General
Rep

Flashing back to stock and locking the DME should allow it to pass as it should be the OEM tune and have the same checksum values?

I assume any change from stock would trigger a different checksum i.e. flashed back to stock but DME unlocked?
      07-20-2021, 06:02 AM   #9
zatelli
Private First Class
Morocco
Rep
Drives: 2013 RWD F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Flashing back to stock and locking the DME should allow it to pass as it should be the OEM tune and have the same checksum values?

I assume any change from stock would trigger a different checksum i.e. flashed back to stock but DME unlocked?
Putting the car on a dyno and comparing torque & dyn HP graphs versus stock would be technically much more feasible and consumer friendly than using time consuming forensic methods for the sake of passing or failing state vehicle inspection.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 09:32 AM   #10
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
And people still live in California....
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2021, 12:50 PM   #11
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Could be worse...like Florida.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 06:16 PM   #12
chuckles01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i Sport, 6M

I saw this message from the instagram of a tuner in CA (HD Tuning) that I follow. This is NOT my explanation, it's HD Tuning's. I'm not advertising, just re-pasting his explanation here in case this is helpful info. For brevity I only copied the parts that I thought were relevant, but you can check out their instagram post for everything.

"The day we knew was coming is here, from my understanding even a stock file that has a single byte changed will fail automatically as its a CVN check. For those with end user flash tools, your stock file in that flash tool may get you past the dealership but won't pass smog. These obd2 flash tools leave a patch/signature so even with a "stock" file it will not pass emissions. Check with the tool manufacturer or your tuner to see if your flash tool removes all patches when reinstalling your stock calibration or you could be state refereed and need to challenge it........... If you have coding done to your car (sport button memory for instance) you still fail even though it has nothing to do with emissions it's just a setting preference. Putting the burden of proof on the consumer is absolutely bullshit. If you buy a used car that was tuned by a previous owner and set back to "stock," you could fail your smog and get refereed and in some cases even the dealership can't reflash the ecu if there is no update. This means that your car that has all monitors set and is running a stock file will fail emissions. A new ECU could be thousands of dollars with programming and that is not a burden the state should be putting on a huge number of car owners and enthusiasts......
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 03:50 PM   #13
jtalweezy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xdrive (B46)

Hard to read this stuff as one who loves cars and loves liberty and freedom. Not to get political, but all the more reason to pack up and leave.
2017 BMW 330ix MSport Estoril Blue - B46, ER Catless DP, ER Chargepipe, FTP Intake Charge Pipe, BMS Cone Intake, BMS OilCC, Bm3 Stage 2. FI Exhaust, xHP Stage 3 OTS Transmission tune. CSFRace heat exchanger. Performance M Brake kit. AFE Carbon Fiber D.A.S.
https://www.instagram.com/bfourtysick/
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 11:21 PM   #14
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

This is getting a little ridiculous.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2021, 08:16 AM   #15
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Totally ridiculous, as we've not seen anything official that comes close to the doom and gloom proffered by the conspiracy theorists and irresponsible sources only interested in drumming up page views. You can check the legality of aftermarket parts here:
https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/afterm...es/amquery.php
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 03:23 PM   #16
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles01 View Post
I saw this message from the instagram of a tuner in CA (HD Tuning) that I follow. This is NOT my explanation, it's HD Tuning's.
If you have coding done to your car (sport button memory for instance) you still fail even though it has nothing to do with emissions it's just a setting preference.
Clipping mine.

I was a bit curious about this, so I think it merits some poking around. The smog test checks the car over generic OBDII, not the special Ethernet link BMW uses for E-Sys or ISTA. Using the generic OBDII functions of VCDS, I scanned my F31 328d N47 on Mode 9 (Calibration Identification) that is supposedly what CARB is looking at:
Quote:
Type 02 - VIN : WBAxxxxxxx (Address E8)
Type 04 - Calibration ID : CC5xxxxx (Address E9)
Type 04 - Calibration ID : DE8xxxxx (Address EC)
Type 06 - Calibration Verification Number : CC5xxxxx (Address E9)
Type 06 - Calibration Verification Number : DE8xxxxx (Address EC)
Type 0A - Controller Name : TCM-TransmisCtrl (Address E9)
Type 0A - Controller Name : EACM-ExhaustAftCtrl (Address EC)
Type 0B - In-use performance tracking :
OBD Monitoring Conditions Encountered count : 1677
Ignition cycle count : 3789
Conditions completion count / Specified conditions encountered count
NMHC Catalyst : 0 / 0
NOx/SCR Catalyst : 1054 / 1676
NOx Adsorber : 829 / 1677
PM Filter : 561 / 69
Exhaust Gas Sensor : 974 / 1677
EGR and/or VVT : 1164 / 1677
Boost Pressure : 1188 / 1677
Fuel : 1188 / 1677
From my car above:
  • Only two ECUs are checked
  • I suspect the "TCM-TransmisCtrl" is the EGS module in BMW speak
  • I suspect the "EACM-ExhaustAftCtrl" is the SCR module in BMW speak, but note SCR is exclusive to diesels
  • Calibration ID and CVN are the same numbers, I think if the two match you will pass smog

A few months ago, I VO-coded in 205 for a test drive and then coded back in stock 2TB, so the EGS module was definitely touched. So based on what I see, VO-coding back to stock doesnt alter the CVN.

Please fact-check me.
      08-08-2021, 05:22 PM   #17
snipagang
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 320i xdrive

Garage List
fuck cali
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2021, 04:28 PM   #18
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post
Clipping mine.

I was a bit curious about this, so I think it merits some poking around. The smog test checks the car over generic OBDII, not the special Ethernet link BMW uses for E-Sys or ISTA. Using the generic OBDII functions of VCDS, I scanned my F31 328d N47 on Mode 9 (Calibration Identification) that is supposedly what CARB is looking at:

From my car above:
  • Only two ECUs are checked
  • I suspect the "TCM-TransmisCtrl" is the EGS module in BMW speak
  • I suspect the "EACM-ExhaustAftCtrl" is the SCR module in BMW speak, but note SCR is exclusive to diesels
  • Calibration ID and CVN are the same numbers, I think if the two match you will pass smog

A few months ago, I VO-coded in 205 for a test drive and then coded back in stock 2TB, so the EGS module was definitely touched. So based on what I see, VO-coding back to stock doesnt alter the CVN.

Please fact-check me.
Wow, thanks for looking this up! It is a lot of detailed info!

Can anyone verify that CVN matching Calibration ID is what is checked? If so that would be a good check for anyone going to a SMOG appt.
      12-23-2021, 12:41 PM   #19
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
The dealer recently upgraded the I-Level on my car to F020-21-11-540, reflashing all the ECUs. I did another Mode 9 query and this is how it looks:
Quote:

Type 04 - Calibration ID : 8A7xxxxx (Address E8)
Type 04 - Calibration ID : CC5xxxxx (Address E9)
Type 04 - Calibration ID : DE8xxxxx (Address EC)
Type 06 - Calibration Verification Number : 8A7xxxxx (Address E8)
Type 06 - Calibration Verification Number : 493xxxxx (Address E8)
Type 06 - Calibration Verification Number : 24Fxxxxx (Address E8)
Type 06 - Calibration Verification Number : 2AAxxxxx (Address E8)
Type 06 - Calibration Verification Number : CC5xxxxx (Address E9)
Type 06 - Calibration Verification Number : DE8xxxxx (Address EC)
Type 0A - Controller Name : ECM-EngineControl (Address E8)
Type 0A - Controller Name : TCM-TransmisCtrl (Address E9)
Type 0A - Controller Name : EACM-ExhaustAftCtrl (Address EC)
Type 0B - In-use performance tracking :
OBD Monitoring Conditions Encountered count : 2040
Ignition cycle count : 4471
Conditions completion count / Specified conditions encountered count
NMHC Catalyst : 0 / 0
NOx/SCR Catalyst : 1323 / 2039
NOx Adsorber : 1039 / 2040
PM Filter : 694 / 85
Exhaust Gas Sensor : 1181 / 2039
EGR and/or VVT : 1444 / 2040
Boost Pressure : 1500 / 2040
Fuel : 2161 / 2040
CVN ID and CAL ID for the TCM and EACM didnt change. It looks like my DDE is also included now, with both CVN and CAL identical. Also interesting is that the 8A7xxxxx CAL/CVN for my DDE is in BMW's database.
      01-04-2022, 04:33 PM   #20
2BitRoach
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i f30 N26

Anyone know if BM3 will flash everything back to stock so it can pass smog in CA...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 05:36 PM   #21
Clefmonster
Word
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BitRoach View Post
Anyone know if BM3 will flash everything back to stock so it can pass smog in CA...
Good r question...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 07:19 PM   #22
2BitRoach
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i f30 N26

check this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clefmonster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BitRoach View Post
Good r question...
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1888984
Appreciate 0