F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > BMW F30/F31 Xenon retrofit
GetBMWParts

02-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
DoNi
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW F81 M3 TOURING

BMW F30/F31 Xenon retrofit

Hi there guys, I just bought my self a 2012 F30 BMW 320d M sport in AW which has already got the dynamic xenons, however i was originally planing to get one with halogen and do a full write up DIY of how to do the conversion.

Seen as i don't have access to a F30 without xenons i decided to post up this retrofit for the wiring and pin locations.

After looking at the diagrams for both Halogens and Xenons the good news is that only 4 wires need to be moved in total and 4 new ground wires need to be added into the headlight plugs to get the xenons to work (without the auto level sensors)

This 1st picture shows my notes for the difference between the pinouts for Xenons vs Halogen headlights, as you can see i have marked No 1 -3 & 5 in green as they stay the same and dont need to be moved.

As you can see above on the left of each box it shows Pin 1-12, these are the pins on the headlight connectors, and on the right it shows what pin they are and then in brackets which connector they are located in, the next 2 pictures are to help you pinpoint these connectors out.

Now to simplify things further all you have to do is add 2 new pins on each of the headlight connectors in pin no 7 and 4 and bridge/join this new cable to either pin2 as all three of them are all ground cables and join together.

There is no other work that needs doing on the headlight connectors as it is easiest to move the other wires on the FEM module, pins 9-12 on the headlights will no loger be used but can stay as they are as the new xenon headlight will have no pins in those places so they will not cause any troubles, also if you do decide to ever put your original halogens back these wires will be untouched.

Next you need to move some wires in you FEM Module

Move pin 26 from connector A173*2B to ---> pin 53 in connector A173*3B
Move pin 34 from connector A173*3B to ---> pin 41 in connector A173*3B
Move pin 49 from connector A173*4B to ---> pin 53 in connector A173*4B
Move pin 37 from connector A173*4B to ---> pin 54 in connector A173*4B

Once you have done this you can wire in Level sensors (I will be posting wiring diagrams for this over the next couple of days) or you can leave them out and possibly do some custom coding to manually adjust the headlights.

I don't have a car available to do the coding so either i will try to post that part once i have done it or hopefully someone else will try and to do the retrofit and post it up, I can however help with the coding and possibly do a tutorial if someone is willing to code their car and send me their files and i can modify them and send them back and check if everything will be working properly.

Below i will be putting some pics up of the wiring diagrams just in case someone wants to have a look at them

DoNi

Last edited by DoNi; 02-25-2013 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
DXL XLR8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30

I don't know what I just looked at....... but keep up the good work!!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
JPinky
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXL XLR8 View Post
Seriously, how did you even get these diagrams?? And I wonder why there hasn't been a bigger response to this, since this would allow for a true OEM retrofit
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quite impressive!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
martinf79
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXL XLR8
Ba ha ha
      02-26-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPinky View Post
Seriously, how did you even get these diagrams?? And I wonder why there hasn't been a bigger response to this, since this would allow for a true OEM retrofit
cos 99% of us dont know what the hell it means!!

seriously, dont know the significance of this, but wow, it looks impressive!
      02-27-2013, 03:30 AM   #7
ghettodefendant
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sportline

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Nice!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #8
jrpaz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435G MSport

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Ok..... Anyone in miami want to join me for a nice weekend project ?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
luvbirds22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 with Xenon Headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNi View Post
Hi there guys, I just bought my self a 2012 F30 BMW 320d M sport in AW which has already got the dynamic xenons, however i was originally planing to get one with halogen and do a full write up DIY of how to do the conversion.

Seen as i don't have access to a F30 without xenons i decided to post up this retrofit for the wiring and pin locations.

After looking at the diagrams for both Halogens and Xenons the good news is that only 4 wires need to be moved in total and 4 new ground wires need to be added into the headlight plugs to get the xenons to work (without the auto level sensors)

This 1st picture shows my notes for the difference between the pinouts for Xenons vs Halogen headlights, as you can see i have marked No 1 -3 & 5 in green as they stay the same and dont need to be moved.

As you can see above on the left of each box it shows Pin 1-12, these are the pins on the headlight connectors, and on the right it shows what pin they are and then in brackets which connector they are located in, the next 2 pictures are to help you pinpoint these connectors out.

Now to simplify things further all you have to do is add 2 new pins on each of the headlight connectors in pin no 7 and 4 and bridge/join this new cable to either pin2 as all three of them are all ground cables and join together.

There is no other work that needs doing on the headlight connectors as it is easiest to move the other wires on the FEM module, pins 9-12 on the headlights will no loger be used but can stay as they are as the new xenon headlight will have no pins in those places so they will not cause any troubles, also if you do decide to ever put your original halogens back these wires will be untouched.

Next you need to move some wires in you FEM Module

Move pin 26 from connector A173*2B to ---> pin 53 in connector A173*3B
Move pin 34 from connector A173*3B to ---> pin 41 in connector A173*3B
Move pin 49 from connector A173*4B to ---> pin 53 in connector A173*4B
Move pin 37 from connector A173*4B to ---> pin 54 in connector A173*4B

Once you have done this you can wire in Level sensors (I will be posting wiring diagrams for this over the next couple of days) or you can leave them out and possibly do some custom coding to manually adjust the headlights.

I don't have a car available to do the coding so either i will try to post that part once i have done it or hopefully someone else will try and to do the retrofit and post it up, I can however help with the coding and possibly do a tutorial if someone is willing to code their car and send me their files and i can modify them and send them back and check if everything will be working properly.

Below i will be putting some pics up of the wiring diagrams just in case someone wants to have a look at them

DoNi
I wonder how could i miss this post after i see its been there for almost 2 months now if i were waiting for something like this to come up.I think i betta need to get my eyes tested lol.So i am ready to move wires and add ground wires as mr DoNi wrote up in the post.I want to confirm few things before I actually do that:

1. How sure you are @ my friend DoNi ,making/adding wire changes as u wrote up will work?is it just a trial or ur very sure about what you wrote or you have experimented this thing already since its been almost 2 months you wrote up this post.

2. the wire changes in the fem module you asked to make,i wanna know when i have access to fem module would the new postions(pins) where you asked to move the wires be vacant?if yes its easy if not what will i do if there are already wires in there? also do i need to bridge the old and new pins or simply move them from old to new position?

3.would coding be needed before or after i have put all the hardware in place and made all the wire changes as per your write up?? caz i can wait for all the features to work if coding is needed to make all of them work but i simply dont want a blackout as once i put all the hardware and wires in there i dont wanna go back to halogen just cuz the coding hasnt been done.i am sure atleast xenons light up even if there is no wire change made cuz i have experimented this already but i am not sure after i change the wires will they still light up or coding will be needed to light them up as well?i am happy with just xenons being light up till we finish the coding.

please revert soon.thx in advance.

Harman
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
luvbirds22
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey guys!

I can finally change my status to "drives F30 with Xenon Headlights" lol.
yes it has finally been done and I announce fully working retrofit &following are working successfully without any error:

1. Low Beam Xenon
2. High Beam Xenon
3. Side Markers
4. Xenon Auto Headlights
5. Dipped switch also working
6. Finally I announce Angel eyes working as well
Who is up for Halogen lights ,its on sale lol.Shipping free hehe!

Last edited by luvbirds22; 04-28-2013 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
finaloption
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 f30 n26

did the OPs post help you figure it out?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #12
luvbirds22
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by finaloption View Post
did the OPs post help you figure it out?
yes it helped but there were two three things which looked better in theory and practically i had to solve them myself which I'll explain in DIY soon.Anyways I still thank DONI's post which encouraged me to try it practically
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
luvbirds22
Enlisted Member
Rep

ok here i am.I cannot post DIY or any photos at the moment because www.realoem.com has mentioned incorrect quantity of LED units fitted in the Headlights.As a result one of my car's headlight is missing Angel eyes being lit up.I have already ordered the missing LED's.I think I'll post a DIY once both the headlights are fully working.I can confirm the system throws no error except for Auto Headlight Levelling error as I didn't install the sensors and now as I have disabled the Leveller check by coding hence no errors now.Also I didn't have to cut a single wire except for one ground wire which i peeled off a little to bridge it with new ground wires.

For the price pair of headlights cost me 2000 euros excludes shipping including all parts except for xenon bulbs which you can get at any local dealer for under 100.

At this moment I can give you the full list of parts required to complete the retrofit which is following:

1. 63 11 7 338 699 RHD Non Adaptive Headlight Assembly Left Q'ty -1

1a. 63 11 7 314 531 LHD Non Adaptive Headlight Assembly Left Q'ty -1

2. 63 11 7 338 700 RHD Non Adaptive Headlight Assembly Right Q'ty -1

2a.63 11 7 314 532 LHD Non Adaptive Headlight Assembly Right Q'ty -1

3. 63 12 7 296 090 Xenon Ballast Q'ty-2

4. 63 21 7 217 509 Xenon Bulbs Q'ty-2

5. 63 11 7 311 243 LED Module Q'ty-4(here www.realoem.com went wrong and mentioned quantity as 2)

5a. 63 11 7 316 147 LED Module Q'ty-4(only for new builds after 07/2012)

6. 63 11 7 316 143 Headlight Control module Q'ty-2

Your car will fit either 1 or 1a ,2 or 2a depending on RHD and LHD and 5 or 5a depending on Car build Level.

Please note the above list mentions only the parts which need to be purchased and not the parts which will be used from Halogens.

I purchased these parts from Germany.Anyone willing to buy can contact me and I'll guide you thru.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 02:31 AM   #14
aumdam
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

It is cool! thanks for this information, I start to get them upgrade from halogen to be xenon also with this retrofit guideline.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 06:41 AM   #15
hanizh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F48 X1 (ordered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbirds22 View Post
Hey guys!

I can finally change my status to "drives F30 with Xenon Headlights" lol.
yes it has finally been done and I announce fully working retrofit &following are working successfully without any error:

1. Low Beam Xenon
2. High Beam Xenon
3. Side Markers
4. Xenon Auto Headlights
5. Dipped switch also working
6. Finally I announce Angel eyes working as well
Who is up for Halogen lights ,its on sale lol.Shipping free hehe!
can you post some pictures of the result ??
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #16
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Competition Gran Coupe

holy crap this is helpful. Thanks for post. I have ordered my new headlights and am in the process of ordering the remaining necessary accessories. Once done I will give this a shot and report what I come up with. My car is an '13 328i so hopefully all the wiring is the same as above. Thanks again!

p.s. is it possible to do this all without adding the auto leveling sensors? Also will the adaptive (cornering) still work with this and without auto leveling sensors? Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #17
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30performance View Post
i was done on my last E90.there's a lot of hard work,you will need to change the footwell module(AHL),
Not sure what you mean, that might be specific to the e90, from what I can tell the ahl modules for the f30 are installed inside the headlights themselves.. like number 5 in this picture:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...56&hg=63&fg=05

So for what i have purchased are the stripped headlights, two ballasts, two bulbs, and one of the number 5 above (I am seeing if I can source another used one). What I still need are the led modules for the angel eyes, but will probably have to get them new.

Other than that I am assuming I need to swap out wiring as described above and code for the new headlights via Esys. If anyone has any other input or suggestions I would be happy to hear before I start working on all of this. Seems like a big job, but hopefully it will be worth it in the end.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 03:29 AM   #18
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

please document the process and ill shout you a beer
      10-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #19
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I almost have all the parts, waiting on one module that seems pretty hard to find unless I buy new, which I might just have to. I will document the whole thing with a write up and pictures as soon as I do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #20
Phil2thejay
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 N26 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXL XLR8 View Post
i feel the same way. Great write up though. Hopefully my local BMW tuner shop will know how to doing this wiring so I can get rid of these weak halogens.
In addition, does this allow us to buy the stock F30 xenon headlight assembly and just change up the wiring?

Last edited by Phil2thejay; 10-23-2013 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 10:51 AM   #21
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok... so I am only missing one module then I can begin working on the retrofit. I have been working with my local dealer to obtain to wire piggy backs to add in the extra grounds needed. We were having trouble locating the right wire via computer so I pulled my connector to take a look.

As you can see this is nothing like the one posted by the OP. However, assuming everything on the FEM module side are the same, it should be ok. I will still have to add in the two grounds to four and seven and then move the #12 to #8 or add in a whole new wire to #8 and route it to the FEM module.

I will look inside the car when I get a chance to see what it looks like there and post my findings.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #22
aloo6
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F31 330d

Euro spec appears to be the same as the original post.

What I was planning to do was create an adapter to the existing loom and the other side into the headlight. Struggling to find the connections part numbers tho.
Appreciate 0