F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > [90% complete] [USB AND STEREO BT WORKING!] DIY HU_NBT Retrofit
Extreme Powerhouse

12-08-2017, 12:32 PM   #1475
mrtx
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Hi
I'm doing retrofit on F30 with NBT and not sure what to do with the combox in the back??
Should I disconnect all the cables or is there anything which stay connected?? Do I need to keep the combox or can I get rid of it permanently??
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 03:25 PM   #1476
roelandg
Rep
Drives: F30 2012

Hi all

I have some questions regarding my NBT retrofit on F30 (2012). But not because it didn't work, but because it did - surprisingly - worked! After reading a lot of forum topics, filtering the non working solutions, I started the NBT installation.

Facts:
- HU_CHAMP2 entry was present before starting the coding of FA
- Combox present in the trunk
- NBT was taken from a car from my country with correct language already configured.

Steps taken:
1. Replaced the head unit with the NBT (non EVO) using an emulator attached to the Harness. Kept the old controller installed. I have the touch controller + module, but will install these later by connecting them to pin 9 and 11 of the harness. Also installed the bigger screen with new video cable.
2. Tested the NBT, navigation was working out of the box, also accurate GPS position. No sound, no bluetooth (no antenna connected), no FM (waiting for the splitter)
4. Started the FA coding by:
a. removing 606
b. adding 609
c. adding 6NL (because I had HU_CHAMP2 entry)
d. adding 6NR (Apps, visible, but not tested)
e. adding 6UH (Traffic info, visible, but not tested)
f. Changed the date to "0713".
5. After writing FA and reading VCM, the HU_CHAMP2 entry was replaced by HU_NBT, which I coded along with the Kombi ECU module.

Because I had the combox in the trunk, I was planning to install the MOST termination loop and and connect the 'remote' wire to the fuse box. However, all seems to work already:

1. The sound is working (tried with an USB stick in the glove compartment)
2. Navigation is working
3. NBT gets the correct values from the car like (tire pressure etc)
4. Successfully set the time on the NBT which is displayed on the KOMBI as well.
5. Steering wheel buttons working (volume, tel button, mode)
6. Connected drive is visible (already was before coding)
7. BMW Apps is visible (after coding)

So my questions are
1) What am I missing? Why are people installing the MOST termination loopt and the wire to the fuse box?
2) Why do people change the VIN?

From my point of viev everything is working, except for the bluetooth, microphone (still connected to combox) and FM. I guess by installing a new bluetooth antenna under the dashboard and connecting it to the NBT, fix the MIC wire and using the FM splitter cable, everything is done? Right?

Thanks for some clarification!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #1477
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 320i xdrive

Ppl change the vin for a few reasons but if u have the emulator u don't need too. Ur Bluetooth isn't working since ur combox is still hooked up. U can either get the terminating loop and/or code the Bluetooth from combox to nbt after installing new Bluetooth wire or running from combox to nbt.
If I'm not 100% correct someone pls correct me.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 01:42 PM   #1478
roelandg
Rep
Drives: F30 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhnblckwood View Post
Ppl change the vin for a few reasons but if u have the emulator u don't need too. Ur Bluetooth isn't working since ur combox is still hooked up. U can either get the terminating loop and/or code the Bluetooth from combox to nbt after installing new Bluetooth wire or running from combox to nbt.
If I'm not 100% correct someone pls correct me.

Thanks for your reply! I have bought a bluetooth antenna (taken of an Opel) which work great. I still have the combox connected currently, but when I have time, I will disconnect it. Also, still need to rewire the microphone cables. All the rest is working without issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 05:50 PM   #1479
RetrofitF21
Registered
Rep
Drives: 125D

I have just bought an Oct 2012 F21 which has HU-Entry and the 5 button iDrive controller (926 1704). I am planning on doing the NBT upgrade...just waiting on the parts to arrive from eBay. This thread has been brilliant for my research. Thanks to all.

One question... I bought a Touch controller with the voice ECU . The touch controller part is 935 0723 which came out in 01/2014, I plugged it in today to see if it was a plug and play fit with my HU ENTRY but it is unresponsive. Do I need an earlier model of the Touch controller or will it come alive when I code the car?

BTW: I have bought
1 x HU NBT (HW 07)
1 x GPS antenna
1 x DAB antenna
1 x WiFi antenna (the NBT HU has a WiFi connector so want to see if it works)
1 x Touch controller
1 x Voice ECU
1 x splitter cable

My car has basic BT and has the AUX/USB in the armrest

I will need the E-SYS software - Shawn, you seem to be the guru here can you help me please with the latest version.
Appreciate 1
akgambino271.50
      02-08-2018, 09:49 AM   #1480
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetrofitF21 View Post
I have just bought an Oct 2012 F21 which has HU-Entry and the 5 button iDrive controller (926 1704). I am planning on doing the NBT upgrade...just waiting on the parts to arrive from eBay. This thread has been brilliant for my research. Thanks to all.

One question... I bought a Touch controller with the voice ECU . The touch controller part is 935 0723 which came out in 01/2014, I plugged it in today to see if it was a plug and play fit with my HU ENTRY but it is unresponsive. Do I need an earlier model of the Touch controller or will it come alive when I code the car?

BTW: I have bought
1 x HU NBT (HW 07)
1 x GPS antenna
1 x DAB antenna
1 x WiFi antenna (the NBT HU has a WiFi connector so want to see if it works)
1 x Touch controller
1 x Voice ECU
1 x splitter cable

My car has basic BT and has the AUX/USB in the armrest

I will need the E-SYS software - Shawn, you seem to be the guru here can you help me please with the latest version.
Would really like some info on this as well.

I understand the touch controller needs kcan2 wiring from the nbt to make it work which requires some splicing of wires... my question is where can a person buy a plug and play adapter to make this work on a pre 2014 car that was equipped with hu_entry?

Surely something like that exists and would have a plug and play adapter that the original car wiring plugs into, then plugs into the nbt being retrofit into the car, and would also have the splitter cable and touch ecu.
      02-08-2018, 10:55 AM   #1481
Sanelko
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jet Black 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post

I understand the touch controller needs kcan2 wiring from the nbt to make it work which requires some splicing of wires... my question is where can a person buy a plug and play adapter to make this work on a pre 2014 car that was equipped with hu_entry?

Surely something like that exists and would have a plug and play adapter that the original car wiring plugs into, then plugs into the nbt being retrofit into the car, and would also have the splitter cable and touch ecu.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-NBT-EVO...dZLX5I&vxp=mtr
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 10:56 AM   #1482
macs
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: f31

Quote:

I don't think you can find an Y cable but you can simply make it by yourself, as I did
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 12:00 PM   #1483
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanelko View Post
Quote:

Yikes! That is almost how much I paid for for while nbt unit 10" screen and touch controller.
      02-08-2018, 12:02 PM   #1484
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs View Post
Quote:

I don't think you can find an Y cable but you can simply make it by yourself, as I did
Can you share how you made your own y-cable and where you got the touch ecu module from and how it is wired in with the y-cable and how it all connects to the main harness at the back of the nbt unit?

Very interested in trying to make this work.
      02-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #1485
macs
Private
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Can you share how you made your own y-cable and where you got the touch ecu module from and how it is wired in with the y-cable and how it all connects to the main harness at the back of the nbt unit?

Do you mean the touch function? I got the touchbox out from the bay, there are several on there. I don know your car-s system but on mine 2016 F31 LCI I didn't have to work on the HU (unless coding it). I made the Y cable (look here for similar instruction), you need 4 pin connectors, 2 female and 1 male and proceed as instructions. Then disconnect the controller connector and insert the Y cable, the second female connector goes to touchbox, that's it.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 04:44 PM   #1486
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs View Post
Quote:

Do you mean the touch function? I got the touchbox out from the bay, there are several on there. I don know your car-s system but on mine 2016 F31 LCI I didn't have to work on the HU (unless coding it). I made the Y cable (look here for similar instruction), you need 4 pin connectors, 2 female and 1 male and proceed as instructions. Then disconnect the controller connector and insert the Y cable, the second female connector goes to touchbox, that's it.
My car is a 2013 with HU_ENTRY. I am planning (purchased) on an NBT retrofit which comes with the touch controller but my understanding is that the touch controller requires an ecu module and the touch controller requires KCAN2 wiring which was not available in the F30 until 2014... so have no idea how to make it work.

It seems like people have had success retrofitting the touch controller but the information is all over the place. Im just looking for a DIY on how to do the wiring and a parts list of whats required (ie. the touch ecu module or whatever other wiring must be purchased).
      02-09-2018, 03:59 PM   #1487
Sanelko
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jet Black 328i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanelko View Post
Quote:

Yikes! That is almost how much I paid for for while nbt unit 10" screen and touch controller.
It's actually a great deal - includes the harness, an emulator, touch controller, and touch ecu.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 02:37 AM   #1488
macs
Private
Italy
Rep

Quote:
My car is a 2013 with HU_ENTRY. I am planning (purchased) on an NBT retrofit which comes with the touch controller but my understanding is that the touch controller requires an ecu module and the touch controller requires KCAN2 wiring which was not available in the F30 until 2014... so have no idea how to make it work.

It seems like people have had success retrofitting the touch controller but the information is all over the place. Im just looking for a DIY on how to do the wiring and a parts list of whats required (ie. the touch ecu module or whatever other wiring must be purchased).
There's a complete tutorial on an italian forum but I don't know if it's possible to paste here links to other forums. It's for an Entrynav anyway, so don't know about functionality on Entry HU. I also remember I saw, time ago, on one forum guide to fink k-can connection but I cannot find it anymore
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 04:30 PM   #1489
wheeljack
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
You can use any set of FSC Codes so long as they are newer than the Donor ones already in the Head Unit.

You cannot get Donor VIN FSC Codes, because you have no idea what Donor VIN is.

I have sent you a complete set from car with 04.09.2013 build date.
Hello

shawnsheridan mayby you have any set for build date after 20/15 ?
i search everywhere and your post make my positive thinking
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 05:52 PM   #1490
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeljack View Post
Hello

shawnsheridan mayby you have any set for build date after 20/15 ?
i search everywhere and your post make my positive thinking
PM sent.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 08:10 AM   #1491
Andrei_UK
Rep
Drives: BMW 116d 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TePee View Post
Many thanks Aritaurus once again!

I donīt want to swap the TCB, thus I have 2 possibilities:

1. As you wrote the best would be to buy normal NBT, which should be plug&play. Iīve found out that the parts-number of the TCB my car has, is also used at earlier cars with normal NBT – according to parts catalog.

2. I could keep NBT Evo and just not connect TCB. The question is what will cause this? SOS will probably still work without HU in a limited way as it is connected to extra loudspeaker and micro too?
I also could deactivate TCB officially – just Teleservices or even SOS. Teleservices I donīt prefer anyway and all the Connected Drive stuff I donīt really need.

The best would be to swap TCB too and then enjoy full improvements of EVO. Due to some reasons itīs not allowed to me to swap TCB

Maybe someone with normal NBT is looking for EVO...?
How much your NBT EVO?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 07:51 PM   #1492
RetrofitF21
Registered
Rep
Drives: 125D

Finally did my HU_Entry to NBT upgarde. Most things are working

Not working:
6NS wouldn't code needed to use 6NL which was on Donor VIN
Touch on the Touch controller doesn't work, everything else on the module does though
Info display on the basic Kombi e.g. caller id or radio channel when you spin the little wheel (this was working before upgrade) even though CIC Kombi set to Kombi low and Kombi MMI set to aktiv

Also the 'Arrival time' on Nav shows the journey time rather that the ETA. How do I change this? e.g. say clock is at 15:00, arrival time shows 00:29 rather than 15:29

Any ideas on the above?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 03:14 PM   #1493
peter2
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20

Hello.

I retrofit NBT (not EVO) to my F21, all is working fine.
I dont retrofit TCB (Telecommunication Box), so i plug gps mouse direct to HU_NBT.

Coded:
SYSTEM_GPS_RECEIVER --> Nicht_aktiv
GPS_FROM_NAVI --> aktiv
ADAS_GPS --> Nicht_aktiv
TELMATIK_ECU --> Nicht_aktiv

HU_NBT always has the fault code (see picture)
B7F80F Connection headunit to GPS aerial: Line disconnection

Any idea? How to get rid of the error?

EDIT:
EDIT:

Solved this with another GPS Antena.
The old was realy broken.
Attached Images

Last edited by peter2; 04-06-2018 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2018, 12:37 PM   #1494
kajkac
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10

Hi, can anyone tell me why my telephone menu is not visible ? i did the esys turn of of combox like was here in posts before activated the nbt bluetooth functions but it will not turn on?

And did anyone try to put zbe4 touch controller to car ?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 07:12 PM   #1495
kanpatu38
Rep
Drives: F11 520i

Hello everyone

I am F11 in February 2013.
The vehicle already has NBT at the factory shipment.
There is no TCB.

I would like to use the Internet and apps.

I added VO and FDL coding,
"Your car is not allowed the internet" is displayed.

Therefore, I am trying to do the following.
Is this correct?

◯ Added emulator
◯ Donor FSC rewriting (Used TCB's)
◯ Used TCB addition

If there is no 9c in the used TCB,
Do I need to look for another donor?

Please let me know.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 07:15 PM   #1496
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanpatu38 View Post
...If there is no 9c in the used TCB,
Do I need to look for another donor?...
9C FSC Code is in NBT not TCB.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0