F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 9.0 HU discussion
Studio RSR

08-22-2019, 12:24 PM   #133
zimasha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 530i

Hi. I have got the px6 4g ram 1920x720 hd2 black screen with android 9 and id7 interface from ali express.
I will post pics and video later. Amazing screen, very fast compared to my old 4.4.4 unit. The image quality is superb and colors are deep, and brightness is noticeably high. Glare effect is minimal compared to old units. Sound quality is fine.
The seller has a whatsapp line for aftermarket support, which makes communication easy and sending images and videos to solve problems.
They made a custom mcu software upgrade for me to make the aftermarket 360 bird view system that i have installed a year ago fill the whole screen.
What I like about this new unit, as compared to the old one, is the ability to change the behaviour of the voice command button" long press for navi, short press for voice command", and the mode button disable in android side" sometimes you hit it by mistake and it takes you to another menu". Also the ability to keep music or video sound while in reverse and in 360 surround view screen.
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/kBRBjHZW
Here is a link. Have a look. I will post pics later.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 02:25 PM   #134
twoface
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 316D

It seems like HD screen version is discontinued. Maybe there was indeed reliability issue as someone mentioned in the thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 03:17 PM   #135
blissdev
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M-Sport

Garage List
Do any of these aliexpress versions have wireless carplay? Or is that only via a dongle?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 04:00 AM   #136
francesco4988
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 325D

Hello guys! I found out this unit here that seems to have also DSP amplifier, what do you think about it? https://it.aliexpress.com/item/40001...chweb201603_52
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 04:42 AM   #137
seaman5705
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by francesco4988 View Post
Hello guys! I found out this unit here that seems to have also DSP amplifier, what do you think about it? https://it.aliexpress.com/item/40001...chweb201603_52
It is not DSP amplifier - it is DSP chip integrated in Intel SoC.
Similar it is used in Snapdragon(Qualcomm) SoC.
DSP chip is not exactly audio DSP - it is a kind of multimedia coprocessor integrated in SoC - although could have audio functions .
You need to check the feedback about units with Intel SoC and see if it worth.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 06:49 AM   #138
francesco4988
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 325D

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaman5705 View Post
It is not DSP amplifier - it is DSP chip integrated in Intel SoC.
Similar it is used in Snapdragon(Qualcomm) SoC.
DSP chip is not exactly audio DSP - it is a kind of multimedia coprocessor integrated in SoC - although could have audio functions .
You need to check the feedback about units with Intel SoC and see if it worth.
Otherwise which one could you suggest that has good screen (antiglare) and carplay integrated?
Because i'd like to tune a little bit better the eq of my bmw that has just the standard stereo.. The fact is that i installated focal speaker and subwoofer in order to increase the quality, but i'd like to tune a little bit better the frequency of each speaker (thing that i can do in my Fiat punto with chinese android stereo )
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 09:25 AM   #139
seaman5705
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by francesco4988 View Post
Otherwise which one could you suggest that has good screen (antiglare) and carplay integrated?
Because i'd like to tune a little bit better the eq of my bmw that has just the standard stereo.. The fact is that i installated focal speaker and subwoofer in order to increase the quality, but i'd like to tune a little bit better the frequency of each speaker (thing that i can do in my Fiat punto with chinese android stereo )
I can not sugest any unit since I only have an old 4.4 in one of my cars (E90).
I am also searching info about new units because I want to buy for my other car which is F10.
I would not even think to tune sound from Android unit, but if you say is possible in Punto , I would suggest to see what chipset uses that unit and try to find equivalent among BMW units.
Basically you have 3 options - Snapdragon with DSP, Intel with DSP and PX6 maybe with DSP. About the possibilities of those DSPs, you have to search on internet and forums to see opinions of owners.
But as I told you, all these DSPs are builded into chipsets . Now depends on the manufacturer how they implemented their features - but nothing could be at professional level. Myself I expect just a decent level for auxiliary input they use.
And remember this is just using aux input, which is getting worse if you use cable and not direct input in the back of the unit. There lot of problems of output and input impedances on aux in bmw.
I would rather tweak sound from car's amplifier , if you have one. If not maybe you can install one - something like Match/Helix.
Maybe Punto has unit with different DSP (not chipset build) and real amplifier. BMW unit has not.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 10:19 AM   #140
marakeh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopfinger View Post
I just received the newest Zlink.apk for Carplay. Maybe somebody will try it, if its working without the internal CarPlay function. It requires an internet connection during first start.

https://we.tl/t-tfTVhQaAHX

tried on my px6 doesnt work, complains about missing deamon-service.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 11:52 AM   #141
bheng89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328xi

Realized that I have a CIC (2012)... which limits my choices since I think these are made for NBT.

Kinda bummed. But I've only seen one manufacturer offer to make a special cable... Which limits me to the px6 as opposed to the snapdragon processor

2019 440i xDrive | Muffler Delete |
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 03:42 AM   #142
smahel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper, 2020 X1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bheng89 View Post
Realized that I have a CIC (2012)... which limits my choices since I think these are made for NBT.

Kinda bummed. But I've only seen one manufacturer offer to make a special cable... Which limits me to the px6 as opposed to the snapdragon processor
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3304...194770092z2OCd
and more...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 04:07 AM   #143
seaman5705
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smahel View Post
This is for E84 - don't know if it fits . I think he has F30 .
Quite surprising, there are no units for F3X CIC variant with Snapdragon.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 11:17 AM   #144
Xanderl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30

Does every Android 9 Version have a splitscreen Mode? I mean that i Can Show on the left side Google Maps and on the right side Apple Music ? Also 2 Apps Side by side?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 01:16 AM   #145
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d

I use this app
Split Screen Shortcut: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid&hl=en_US

Build Thread
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1529213
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 02:31 AM   #146
JasonHowell
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i

I thought I would join to add my experience with these units. I previously bought an android 4.4 unit direct from the Avin factory - both unit and customer service were appalling.

I've just replaced it with the new Android 9 unit displaying ID7 from a UK seller with a proper guarantee and decent customer support.

This new unit is everything I wanted the old one to be. So far it works flawlessly, both as an android unit, and with carplay running IOS13 Beta. Love the black surround, and the sound is a million miles away from what it was.

The 'only' query would be a couple of my 'go to' apps will download but won't work i.e Netflix and Amazon video. Some investigation reqd!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 06:22 AM   #147
DarkIrata
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (F31), 2015

Hi!

I am currently reading into the android hu topic but still left with some questions since there so many things you have to look after.

I am driving a F31 (2015) with a small 6" Screen, EntryNav.

• For what type of Android screen i have to look?
• When do i have to route a AUX Cable? Does it depend on the Android HU?
• How can i check if i could fix the resolution for the IDrive since it would still try run in 6"?

And what other things i would have too look after, before buying a Android 9 HU? (Except RAM, Storage, etc.)

My goal is a Android 9 HU with a GPS splitter to reuse the original GPS, no extra AUX cable routing where BT und WIFI works. (My Phone would be the Hotspot)

If you have suggestions, i am happy to hear them!

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 06:48 AM   #148
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonHowell View Post
I thought I would join to add my experience with these units. I previously bought an android 4.4 unit direct from the Avin factory - both unit and customer service were appalling.

I've just replaced it with the new Android 9 unit displaying ID7 from a UK seller with a proper guarantee and decent customer support.

This new unit is everything I wanted the old one to be. So far it works flawlessly, both as an android unit, and with carplay running IOS13 Beta. Love the black surround, and the sound is a million miles away from what it was.

The 'only' query would be a couple of my 'go to' apps will download but won't work i.e Netflix and Amazon video. Some investigation reqd!
Is your unit Snapdragon chipset? Glad to hear it's more stable and good audio quality from snapdragon unit.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 11:19 AM   #149
marakeh
Private
Rep

what is currently bugging me with my unit (px6 NBT HW7)

- no volume bar in android when turning the oem knob (anybody any idea for a workaround?)
- clock jumps sometimes 1 hour in the past or future, clock is synced with gps.
- clock always resets to 09:50 after coldboot, gets corrected by gps, manual clock is not sticking on coldboot
- no bluetooth settings in the HU, i want the HU to connect to an obd2 adapter (any workaround to get the normal/full bt menu?)
- splitscreen only 50/50 mode
- youtube only 480P
- Fixed: dashboard APK was not updating speed, doors and rpm (Fixed with this latest Dashboard APK: https://allthingscitrix.com/ksw_dashboard.apk )

Last edited by marakeh; 08-26-2019 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 11:32 AM   #150
marakeh
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkIrata View Post
Hi!

• For what type of Android screen i have to look?
• When do i have to route a AUX Cable? Does it depend on the Android HU?
• How can i check if i could fix the resolution for the IDrive since it would still try run in 6"?
-> Any 10.2 will fit

-> no one knows 100%, i think it depends on the generation, cics may have to run it, i did not see anybody with nbt units requiring it. it does not depend on the android hu.

-> if you have a nbt_entrynav you can fix it via fdl cofing either with esys (enet) or via bluetooth (obd2) (bimmercode)

look for 4gb ram 32gb, snapdragon or rk3399 does not matter from my testings, both perform well.

if possible go for antiglare screen, sure bet would be 1280x480.

if you want to be brave you can try 1920x1080 or 1920x720 screens, no idea how this works with your idrive tho.

optional stuff could be:

- integrated wireless carplay (alternative would be usb sticks later ~50$ wired, 90$ wireless, 10$ head unit reloaded app for android auto)
- darker black screen
- integrated lte (lack some europe bands 8/20)

what i would improve later:

- since you have a entrynav you should already have gps, use it with a fakra splitter and ditch the shitty android gps mouse.
- get a external usb lte modem (if you want to go best possible reception route, with external antenna plug, run an sma cable to the fin on the roof, unmount fin and fit external pigtain in fin, reseal)
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2019, 03:50 AM   #151
DarkIrata
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (F31), 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by marakeh View Post
-> Any 10.2 will fit

-> no one knows 100%, i think it depends on the generation, cics may have to run it, i did not see anybody with nbt units requiring it. it does not depend on the android hu.

-> if you have a nbt_entrynav you can fix it via fdl cofing either with esys (enet) or via bluetooth (obd2) (bimmercode)

look for 4gb ram 32gb, snapdragon or rk3399 does not matter from my testings, both perform well.

if possible go for antiglare screen, sure bet would be 1280x480.

if you want to be brave you can try 1920x1080 or 1920x720 screens, no idea how this works with your idrive tho.

optional stuff could be:

- integrated wireless carplay (alternative would be usb sticks later ~50$ wired, 90$ wireless, 10$ head unit reloaded app for android auto)
- darker black screen
- integrated lte (lack some europe bands 8/20)
Thank you for the information!
Yeah the problem in germany is, without band 20 it is pretty much useless depending on the provider you are. And since we are talking about germany, everywhere you are you got a bad signal.

I think it is a HU_Entrynav, (Says RL_Entrynav in Nav Version information) i am waiting for a enet cable and will check when its here what type exactly it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 10:39 AM   #152
andru
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW LCI 125D M Sport

What is the latest firmware for these, I only ask as I still have a problem of a garbled screen on the original side of the unit. I have tried every combination of car type in the settings but they are all the same.
As of last week I gave up on it and it's sitting in my spare room until I decide what to do with it. Avin are a complete waste of space when it comes to support, they've not returned a single email in about 2 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 11:02 AM   #153
zimasha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 530i

Mcu upgrade

This is an mcu upgrade which mainly fixes dashboard being laggy. Now it displays rpms and speed very smooth and instant. Zero lag.
It as well fixes the main menu speedometer tile. Now its live and displays current speed.
https://we.tl/t-9PAKFS93rB
P.s I have the android 9 id7 px6 headunit with hd display.
Here is also a link for the latest software for this unit: https://drive.google.com/open?id=16F...TD5UuCuvfkumfL
No significant visual changes. I have noticed that the "original car " tile now shows a better looking car than an X5 profile image
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 11:38 AM   #154
andru
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW LCI 125D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimasha View Post
This is an mcu upgrade which mainly fixes dashboard being laggy. Now it displays rpms and speed very smooth and instant. Zero lag.
It as well fixes the main menu speedometer tile. Now its live and displays current speed.
https://we.tl/t-9PAKFS93rB
P.s I have the android 9 id7 px6 headunit with hd display.
Here is also a link for the latest software for this unit: https://drive.google.com/open?id=16F...TD5UuCuvfkumfL
No significant visual changes. I have noticed that the "original car " tile now shows a better looking car than an X5 profile image
Thanks for that, have you a photo of the main screen showing the whole version numbers etc so I can compare it to mine.

Also, what is the process for installing both of these?

Thanks
Appreciate 0